Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline GlennM  
#1 Posted : 24 July 2018 13:05:59(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
I travel a lot for business and sometimes spend extended periods overseas, and when I do I take my collection of electronic catalogs with me so I can browse when travelling or working away. When I first joined this Forum there was a link to an online resource that had a large number of pdf versions of Marklin catalogs up to and including year 1999.

Does anyone know if there are any pdf's of the Marklin Main Line Catalog (not new items etc) for years 2000 to 2017 inclusive? IIRC Marklin did issues catalogs for a period of CD-ROM, where these pdf versions of did they utilise some form of electronic viewer?

I am also interested in obtaining some older Pola, Roco, Faller, Vollmer and Kibri catalogs in pdf form and again I was wondering if anyone had come across any sites were such pdf's might exist.

Many thanks

BR
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 24 July 2018 13:18:20(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline GlennM  
#3 Posted : 24 July 2018 13:33:58(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

Thanks Jean that takes me to 2005 ThumpUp ThumpUp
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 24 July 2018 15:07:40(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
There's nothing on the web after about 2010 after I took the webpage down where I had all the catalogs. This was because certain unscrupulous folks were downloading the catalogs, burning them to DVD and making money selling the DVD's on ebay. I didn't appreciate people taking stuff I had spent many hours scanning and making money off it, giving no acknowledgement to me at all when I had put the resource on the net for the Marklin community to benefit freely from.

The guys on the Italian Marklin Fan site have catalogs up until 2010, but you have to have a logon to get to them.

https://lnx.3rotaie.it/wp/

https://www.marklin-user...sts/t12093-Catalog-scans
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline GlennM  
#5 Posted : 25 July 2018 12:38:53(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
There's nothing on the web after about 2010 after I took the webpage down where I had all the catalogs. This was because certain unscrupulous folks were downloading the catalogs, burning them to DVD and making money selling the DVD's on ebay. I didn't appreciate people taking stuff I had spent many hours scanning and making money off it, giving no acknowledgement to me at all when I had put the resource on the net for the Marklin community to benefit freely from.

The guys on the Italian Marklin Fan site have catalogs up until 2010, but you have to have a logon to get to them.

https://lnx.3rotaie.it/wp/

https://www.marklin-user...sts/t12093-Catalog-scans

Thanks for this BigD,

I think a came across one such seller on Ebay a number of years ago, typical greedy git, spoils everything for everyone else. Greed is one of societies serious diseases, which is largely unchecked.

If you ever decide to reissue the pdf's you can now electronically watermark documents so you can at least identify the origin of the documents and these pdf's cannot be reprinted or saved as new pdf's without the watermark.

On the copyright issue mentioned in the other thread it is my understanding as follows (I am not a lawyer and there are regional variations on Copyright especially in USA);

1) To make a copy or to hold a copy (even electronic) of a copyrighted document is a breech of copyright law. The Law in the UK allows you to hold copies of sections of a document (or pages) for research or reference purposes only, but not the whole document within express permission of the copyright holder.
2) If Marklin did take action they would win but it's the damages that arise from such breech that are really important
3) Assume that you have not sold the copies, and that you have not in anyway acted with malice against Marklin or the brand and that the catalogs are out of print, then Marklin would find it very difficult to prove any any financial loss as a result of the breech. Furthermore the catalogs themselves are a marketing tool offering 'an invitation to treat' and if copying the documents for the sole purpose of buying more Marklin, or further promoting the Marklin brand, or in order to buy more second hand Marklin and therefore help financially support the Marklin brand, would be a hard sell in court.
4) The New Items are now issued as a free to download pdf which would also have a bearing on the case as Marklin are promoting a policy of 'free' sharing of some data and provided the catalog in question was out of print, would again not impact financially on Marklin.
5) Such Court action would surely risk alienating Marklin from it's customers.
6) A possible outcome would be a Statutory fine for holding a copy of an electronic document, and possible nominal damages being awarded. In view of benefits in 3) above, and the costs of such an action, it's not really worth Marklin's effort.
7) However if you were selling the documents then that is different, likewise if you were using the documents to in some way imply a connection to Marklin for the purposes of making money or damaging the brand in some way this would be very different.
8) Likewise the above does not apply to a authored book, where the copyright is their to protect the body of work as well as possible income arising from the book.

Finally whilst writing, I would note that this site holds a lot of useful information and data that can be accessed without being a member.

BR
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 25 July 2018 13:05:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post
If you ever decide to reissue the pdf's you can now electronically watermark documents so you can at least identify the origin of the documents and these pdf's cannot be reprinted or saved as new pdf's without the watermark.

Yes, this is something I have done with later catalogs I have scanned but not released on the net. Furthermore, I export the pages to a jpg image then re-import the images back into a pdf file, that way the watermark is permanently embedded in each page and can't be removed even if someone did crack the pdf security on the pdf file.

Capture.JPG
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline GlennM  
#7 Posted : 25 July 2018 13:42:04(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post

Yes, this is something I have done with later catalogs I have scanned but not released on the net. Furthermore, I export the pages to a jpg image then re-import the images back into a pdf file, that way the watermark is permanently embedded in each page and can't be removed even if someone did crack the pdf security on the pdf file.

Capture.JPG

Nice one ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by GlennM