Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rmsailor  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2018 14:15:51(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   

Looking at the WINCO web-site and they have announced their retirement and are selling off their existing stock.

Bob M.
Offline steventrain  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2018 14:37:38(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
See Continental modeller March 2018 page 3a for more information on winco and model masters.

Model Masters will be closed but still have stock need clear out at 50% off price.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Rwill  
#3 Posted : 13 July 2018 15:00:37(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I've not bothered with Winco since a few years back they told me at an exhibition they don't bother with Marklin anymore as in the Uk its only a few old boys left over from the war who support it!!!!
Offline steventrain  
#4 Posted : 13 July 2018 20:25:25(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Both did not sell Marklin 3-rails system in 1990s.

Master Models sell only Z gauge over 10 years ago.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 13 July 2018 20:30:55(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I remember buying Marklin from Winco years ago. They got silly about Marklin some years ago together with many other shops in UK.

However these shops sold many other brands that could be used with Marklin trains; Wagons, coaches, accessories, scenic materials, etc...

Could still get some useful bargains from these closing down sales.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Rwill  
#6 Posted : 14 July 2018 00:23:11(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I thought some more about my "last" conversation with Winco. VIessmann had just bought out the first version of the Robel maintenance lok and Winco had one at an exhibition I attended. I was smitten and went into "want one " mode even though I could probably buy one from MSL cheaper and then free of post charge. It was then Mr Winco said as stated above that they didn't do any three rail and I thought up yours pal and have walked on by at any exhibition they attended. They kept Kibri and other kit that I may have been interested in but I would rather buy cheaper from Germany and wait a couple of days. I never did buy the Robel though! On the other hand Model Masters were always good old boys when you met them at an exhibition and will be a sad loss.
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 14 July 2018 11:54:39(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
The UK is no longer great for Marklin with only Gaugemaster holding some stocks but I will not buy from them because of the inflated prices. I can buy from Germany at 30% less than Gaugemaster. Here in Scotland there are almost no model shops (or even none) holding reasonable stocks from any of the German manufacturers. I expect it is much the same in England.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 14 July 2018 19:55:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
The UK is no longer great for Marklin with only Gaugemaster holding some stocks but I will not buy from them because of the inflated prices. I can buy from Germany at 30% less than Gaugemaster. Here in Scotland there are almost no model shops (or even none) holding reasonable stocks from any of the German manufacturers. I expect it is much the same in England.

Mount Tabor Models who advertise in Continental Modeller also hold stocks of Marklin and Trix, along with Brawa and other makes. He gets his stocks direct from Marklin, so prices are better than Gaugemaster. Biggest problem is his website doesn't list what is available.

Offline David Dewar  
#9 Posted : 14 July 2018 20:37:50(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Mount Tabor Models who advertise in Continental Modeller also hold stocks of Marklin and Trix, along with Brawa and other makes. He gets his stocks direct from Marklin, so prices are better than Gaugemaster. Biggest problem is his website doesn't list what is available.

Thanks Alan. I have in the past seen their website but as you say it did not show much. Surprised they can buy without going through Gaugemaster who I thought distributed to the trade in the UK.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 14 July 2018 23:56:52(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Thanks Alan. I have in the past seen their website but as you say it did not show much. Surprised they can buy without going through Gaugemaster who I thought distributed to the trade in the UK.

Marklin went back to allowing dealers to buy direct from the factory, after a spell where they stopped it and insisted all dealers had to go through the distributor. However Gaugemaster were a bit funny about allowing dealers to buy start sets direct from Marklin as they insisted on cutting the European plug off and fitting a UK plug to the transformers (this was before the days of Marklin supplying the Wall wart style devices), even though the Fleischmann distributor in the UK just supplied an adapter plug.

I don't know if they still have this policy, I would guess that there would be some pressure on Marklin to supply proper UK wall wart units where ms2 units are supplied, or for the infra red control units on the real basic start sets.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline RDRBerry  
#11 Posted : 23 July 2018 23:59:24(UTC)
RDRBerry

I hand not realised among Tabor models do do 3 rail stuff accessibility from Yorkshire . Moderailshop , formerly Fizinghall Models for Lilliput AC and claim to able to get th he’s teeth that is Joieff AC , sadly fomrthe days of Wand H and others Bahnhof etc we have in retail terms withered . I’d go some way to see stuff to buy an but but I’m odd I sure then and now rely on the internet and forays to Europe.
A long way form gawping as a kid at rows of Marking at Meks models in WC1
Ralph
HO digital ,Intellibox and 6021
Offline dickinsonj  
#12 Posted : 24 July 2018 01:36:54(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Here in Scotland there are almost no model shops (or even none) holding reasonable stocks from any of the German manufacturers. I expect it is much the same in England.

And unfortunately it is the same in most of the US as well David.

A few years ago, over a four year period, I was working one week a month in Phoenix, Arizona, which is a pretty large and prosperous city by US standards. The train shop I contacted there is near Scottsdale, which is one of the most affluent suburbs of any city in the US. Since I have no Märklin dealers locally I thought that I could get my train gear while I was there for my job. I called the dealer and he told me that he would order whatever you wanted but that he kept ZERO Märklin in stock due to diminished demand. Maybe that has improved in Arizona but my nearest city with a major Märklin presence is Cincinnati, Ohio and it went from five Märklin shops to none. I was shocked as one of those was one of the finest Märklin dealers in North America!

I realized a few years ago that I had to abandon my beloved dealers (who had all folded anyway by then ;-) and embrace online buying if I wanted to to keep my Märklin collecting alive. I have only found one North American online shop that has a great website which makes it easy for me to shop online, although there is a runner up who I have to contact by email often to see what they actually have. The other dealers make you call (on the freaking phone) to see if they have any Märklin items for sale!

It is a different world with more on our shoulders now, but then figuring stuff out and making our railroads run is really what it is all about anyway - right?. And since it was either that or stop collecting my favorite trains, I convinced myself that it was just fine. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj