Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mb300e4m  
#1 Posted : 06 July 2018 23:03:25(UTC)
mb300e4m

I run both 2 and 3 rail on my layout and I have quite lot of Marklin 3 rail rolling stock that I want to use with some of my 2 rail DC locos etc.

I am looking for 12 mm diameter insulated wheel sets with “Shouldered” (Needle) Axles not “Tapered” type. They are the size as the older 441-70007 types which are uninsulated.

I have in the past pulled the wheels off of the 441-70007 sets and fitted them onto stub axle sets to replace crumbled and cracked early wheels. I had considered pulling one wheel off some more sets that I have, drilling them out and adding an insulated sleeve. But I have shelved that idea for now. Finding a shouldered insulated sleeve of the right size may be impossible

Can anyone suggest a source of 12 mm Insulated DC wheel sets with Shouldered axles at a reasonable price; I have a lot to convert? They don’t have to be Marklin wheel sets as long as the dimensions are correct. Also does anyone know if insulated tapered axle wheel sets will work?

Thanks in advance for any help. BigGrin

Peter B.
Peter B.
In Sunny Florida most of the time.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
Offline EMD_GP7  
#2 Posted : 07 July 2018 14:08:09(UTC)
EMD_GP7

Hi Peter.
I have used this company for replacement 2-rail wheels for Marklin stock.
This is the nearest I can find if this is what you mean by "needle" axles.

http://www.modellbahn-ra...---zapfenachse-274mm.php

They have many more so if this is not what you require go to the home page and look from there.
Unfortunately it is only in German language but with help from a translator website things become clear.
Best of luck. Regards, Colin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by EMD_GP7
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 07 July 2018 15:19:52(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
It is worth getting out aTrix catalogue and a Marklin catalogue and looking at the instructions for replacement wheel sets between the two ranges. You may be able to pick up on a suitable Trix equivalent for the wagons you have.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline mb300e4m  
#4 Posted : 07 July 2018 16:43:37(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: EMD_GP7 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Peter.

They have many more so if this is not what you require go to the home page and look from there.
Unfortunately it is only in German language but with help from a translator website things become clear.

Thanks Colin for the link, I will check it out. I have a Marklin parts list for rolling stock wheel sets and couplers but it does not quite go back far enough, but there are only three specs that matter, Wheel Diameter, Axle type, and Insulated. I believe the part number is 700580, I see a few listed on ePay but not in the quantity I want.

Best regards from sunny Florida.

Peter B.
Peter B.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
Offline mb300e4m  
#5 Posted : 07 July 2018 16:46:22(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
It is worth getting out aTrix catalogue and a Marklin catalogue and looking at the instructions for replacement wheel sets between the two ranges. You may be able to pick up on a suitable Trix equivalent for the wagons you have.

Good idea Alan, I have a few catalogs, although most are early ones. I have at least one from 10 or 15 years ago, so that may have the required information about wheel replacements.

Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline mb300e4m  
#6 Posted : 07 July 2018 21:01:55(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: mb300e4m Go to Quoted Post
Hi Peter.

Thanks Colin for the link, I will check it out. I have a Marklin parts list for rolling stock wheel sets and couplers but it does not quite go back far enough, but there are only three specs that matter, Wheel Diameter, Axle type, and Insulated. I believe the part number is 700580, I see a few listed on ePay but not in the quantity I want.

Peter B.

I checked out the website and it looks like the closest he has is 11,4 mm which may be a bit on the small side. I could not find 12 mm for Marklin. I am going to dig a little deeper on his website and check a few other makes that may be suitable. I need about 40 of them to start.

Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline mb300e4m  
#7 Posted : 07 July 2018 22:13:10(UTC)
mb300e4m

Now I am confused.

After careful observation, I noticed that the wheel tire is slightly tapered, I assume for the same reason as Lionel, to keep the wheel set centered on the track. It is a smaller on the outside edge than the inner. Measuring a 441-70007 wheel set gave the following results. Outside ~11,4 mm and inner ~12 mm. It is a little tricky to measure the outer as the edge is somewhat rounded. Perhaps that is why I could not find 12 mm wheel sets on the modellbahn-radsatz.de website?

Excuse the lousy picture. (Adobe 8.1 and Picasa)

Peter B.

Marklin Wheel Set 441-70007 (2).jpg
Peter B.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mb300e4m
Offline EMD_GP7  
#8 Posted : 07 July 2018 22:48:49(UTC)
EMD_GP7

Hi Peter.
The taper is normal and prototypical, it is as you say to centre the wheel on the track.
I have just measured some wheels from modellbahn-radsatz and the stated diameter is nearest the flange, on my example 10.3 mm while the diameter at the outer edge is about 10.2 mm - difficult to measure on an edge !
Hope this helps Regards, Colin.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by EMD_GP7
Offline mb300e4m  
#9 Posted : 09 July 2018 14:51:03(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Alan, the only one I can put my hands on right now is from 2015, and does not seem to contain any info on wheel sets that I can find. Maybe I overlooked it, it has a lot of pages.

Best regards, Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline French_Fabrice  
#10 Posted : 09 July 2018 21:27:59(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello,

I don't know if this can help, but the web site "Lokmuseum" has a lot of spare parts with photos !
This may help you to identify (I mean the reference of) what you are looking for.

Most of the wheel sets are located at https://www.lokmuseum.de...11858232905b&suchen= with reference starting at E700230.

You may also find some other wheel sets at reference E300*, and a few ones also at E200*

I suggest you to browse all the spare parts for Marklin (ersatzteile) at this web site.

Another link for spare wheel sets is there: https://www.modellbahn-radsatz.de/h0/index.php

HTH
Fabrice
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline mb300e4m  
#11 Posted : 10 July 2018 20:36:58(UTC)
mb300e4m

Hi Peter.

Colin,

I checked his website and it looks like he has wheel sets that I could use. However when I investigated shipping, it looks like he does not ship to the USA. I have noticed that quite a lot of European sellers will not ship to the USA.

Cheers,

Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline mb300e4m  
#12 Posted : 10 July 2018 22:04:43(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: French_Fabrice Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I don't know if this can help, but the web site "Lokmuseum" has a lot of spare parts with photos !
This may help you to identify (I mean the reference of) what you are looking for.

Most of the wheel sets are located at https://www.lokmuseum.de...11858232905b&suchen= with reference starting at E700230.

You may also find some other wheel sets at reference E300*, and a few ones also at E200*

I suggest you to browse all the spare parts for Marklin (ersatzteile) at this web site.

HTH
Fabrice

Hello,

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I checked LokMuseum.de and have registered with them. They do have what I need but only have 7 in stock, I need 18 to start.

I have sent an e-mail inquiring about availablility, I shall wait patiently for their response. BigGrin

Cheers,

Peter B.

Peter B.
Offline EMD_GP7  
#13 Posted : 11 July 2018 12:41:30(UTC)
EMD_GP7

Quote:
it looks like he does not ship to the USA. I have noticed that quite a lot of European sellers will not ship to the USA.

Hi Peter. Yes that is a problem. I must admit that I have only ordered through their Ebay shop which is not open during July ( vacation ?).
Best of luck with your search.
Regards, Colin.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by EMD_GP7
Offline mb300e4m  
#14 Posted : 13 July 2018 17:10:30(UTC)
mb300e4m

I ordered and paid for 18 today from LokMuseum.de. Had a slight problem with the website, but it is fixed now.

These will get used up on three Marklin 4617 and 4618 wagons.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Peter B.
Peter B.