Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 25 June 2018 12:46:02(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
My son and I talked about solenoids in Märklin M-track turnouts and we came to the conclusion these solenoids were the best and reliable and over the years newer versions just haven't been up to the reliability as these have been.
one never had to send them back to Märklin to get fixed but with later versions e.g. K-track (separate solenoid motor) and C-track solenoid motors.
with other words in all these years we haven't seen an improvement.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Rwill  
#2 Posted : 25 June 2018 14:52:44(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Whilst I agree - just as good were the K track turnouts with built in solenoids such as 2261 etc - I find these indestructible. It amuses me that they have never found a solution for a three way turnout with separate motors so they still make and sell 2270.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline petestra  
#3 Posted : 25 June 2018 17:57:02(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Absolutely, John. I still have M track turnouts working like new that were bought

In 1964! Cheers, Peter. BigGrin
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Joe Meiring  
#4 Posted : 25 June 2018 19:13:42(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   
Same here..... And sent back a fistfull of new point motors to M for replacement.... And many fail AGAIN! Sad.....😡
Joe
Medium digital C track layout with MS2: When I grow up I want to be a steam engine driver....
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Joe Meiring
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 25 June 2018 20:08:58(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
On the C track motors the weak spot is the end shut-off micro-switches. On the ones where I have bypassed the switches I have had no more problems.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Francois29  
#6 Posted : 25 June 2018 20:31:28(UTC)
Francois29

France   
I am so happy to rely on M track !
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Francois29
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#7 Posted : 25 June 2018 22:20:29(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
On the C track motors the weak spot is the end shut-off micro-switches. On the ones where I have bypassed the switches I have had no more problems.

Agree. But bypassing a new turnout fresh out of the box to work fine is not what you should expect from a manufacturer like Märklin.

Regards
Carlos
My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by carlos.rivas.16752
Offline applor  
#8 Posted : 26 June 2018 03:05:04(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: carlos.rivas.16752 Go to Quoted Post

Agree. But bypassing a new turnout fresh out of the box to work fine is not what you should expect from a manufacturer like Märklin.

Regards
Carlos

But I think the point here is that the current solenoids are just as reliable as the M track ones, it's just that the installation of the shut off switches is the fail point - which the M track switches never had.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 26 June 2018 04:06:29(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
Whilst I agree - just as good were the K track turnouts with built in solenoids such as 2261 etc - I find these indestructible. It amuses me that they have never found a solution for a three way turnout with separate motors so they still make and sell 2270.

you're right with the attached solenoids earlier model k-track turnouts

John
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 26 June 2018 04:10:24(UTC)
river6109

Australia   

Ray,

these micro, some of them do and some of them don't work properly, a friend of mine has given me at least 30-40 to fix (mixture of old and new) I was able to fix most of the old type but with the micro switches some of them I couldn't fix (the switch itself).

John

Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 26 June 2018 04:48:42(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: carlos.rivas.16752 Go to Quoted Post

Regards
Carlos

But I think the point here is that the current solenoids are just as reliable as the M track ones, it's just that the installation of the shut off switches is the fail point - which the M track switches never had.

But I think this is the vital point, Märklin m-track turnouts never failed and the ones which you have to attach to the turnouts have failed as you rightly pointed out.
I think with today's model railway expectations the M-track turnouts could also be converted to shut off the power.

My observation has been that since 1964 (Peter pointed out the year)) the old m-track turnouts had been solid and 100 % reliable and as technology has improved and gone forward Märklin has failed to come up with a better solution and in my opinion has actually gone backwards.
Some designs by Märklin had been excellent (ICE or Senator) and an other failed design had been the K-track turnout it self, I feel a simple solution or design is far better than having x amount of parts to get a turnout tongue moving from left to right and the earlier design had also the heart section moving., ( I don't know whether that was prototypical) and this has been deleted in the newer versions. also the rails which formed the tongue had been spot welded and the little pin usually broke off (front or rear) to hold them down into place.
I've noticed other manufacturers have a simple arm going sideways to shift the tongue left to right without all these thin plastic parts activating the movements and most modellers use a servo motor these days for reliability.
My way of thinking has always been if it doesn't work try a different way of solving the problem and this has been a successful story with mounting ball bearings into the motor.

John

Offline xxup  
#12 Posted : 26 June 2018 08:48:34(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Bring back M-Track...

That tizzy plastic stuff does not last... Cursing
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline SNAFU  
#13 Posted : 26 June 2018 09:39:57(UTC)
SNAFU

Australia   
so if you have to make a bypass on the micro switch to fix the problem, why can't M do that in the factory? So that they are sold with that feature already done to make them more reliable.
Tony
Curiosity hasn't killed this cat yet.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by SNAFU
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 26 June 2018 10:42:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: SNAFU Go to Quoted Post
so if you have to make a bypass on the micro switch to fix the problem, why can't M do that in the factory? So that they are sold with that feature already done to make them more reliable.

It is the reason for the microswitch that causes Marklin to fit it. The switch is there so that when run in analogue mode it is not possible to leave a loco on a sense switch or seperated rail so that the coil remains energised until it burns out and smokes, thereby wrecking the point motor. It is worth bypassing these microswitches when using digital control as the output from the m83 decoders is a pulse, so the motor will not burn out.

And despite all the protestations above that M track point motors just don't fail- THEY WILL FAIL UNDER THE SAME CONDITIONS AS THE MICROSWITCHES ARE DESIGNED TO PREVENT IN C TRACK POINTS. I have seen M track point motors where a train has stopped on a contact track leaving the motor buzzing away until the plastic former melted and jammed the moving iron piece solid inside the motor, along with the windings burning out.
Offline river6109  
#15 Posted : 26 June 2018 12:01:15(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

It is the reason for the microswitch that causes Marklin to fit it. The switch is there so that when run in analogue mode it is not possible to leave a loco on a sense switch or seperated rail so that the coil remains energised until it burns out and smokes, thereby wrecking the point motor. It is worth bypassing these microswitches when using digital control as the output from the m83 decoders is a pulse, so the motor will not burn out.

And despite all the protestations above that M track point motors just don't fail- THEY WILL FAIL UNDER THE SAME CONDITIONS AS THE MICROSWITCHES ARE DESIGNED TO PREVENT IN C TRACK POINTS. I have seen M track point motors where a train has stopped on a contact track leaving the motor buzzing away until the plastic former melted and jammed the moving iron piece solid inside the motor, along with the windings burning out.

with all respect my topic wasn't referred to contact or switching tracks, reed switches etc etc. just the point motor themselves.

John

Offline kiwiAlan  
#16 Posted : 26 June 2018 14:43:33(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

with all respect my topic wasn't referred to contact or switching tracks, reed switches etc etc. just the point motor themselves.

John

Agreed - but this is why Marklin put the microswitches in the C track point motors.
Offline David Dewar  
#17 Posted : 26 June 2018 15:15:17(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Not sure how many I have exactly but probably around 30. Only one failed and that was after many years. I make sure I can lift C track turnouts and give the motor etc a clean and a drop of wd40 once every 18 months or so. I like C track as the old M stuff is way out dated and looks it. K track is probably best but for me the ease of use with C track is good. Everybody has their own preferences but it does surprise me with the number who have turnout motor failures.
The three way turnout is a different matter and I just don't use them as they do appear to cause problems.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 26 June 2018 15:35:04(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Not sure how many I have exactly but probably around 30. Only one failed and that was after many years. I make sure I can lift C track turnouts and give the motor etc a clean and a drop of wd40 once every 18 months or so. I like C track as the old M stuff is way out dated and looks it. K track is probably best but for me the ease of use with C track is good. Everybody has their own preferences but it does surprise me with the number who have turnout motor failures.
The three way turnout is a different matter and I just don't use them as they do appear to cause problems.

Hi David,

I have 14 turnout motors, of which 3 have failed in one direction.

The three latest that I installed, including two in a three way point, have been modified before installation and work perfectly.

I'm waiting for an opportunity to modify the three failed motors, which unfortunately involves ripping up track buried in ballast. As can be seen in the photos below it will be quite destructive and not for the faint hearted!

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline David Dewar  
#19 Posted : 26 June 2018 16:57:09(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

Hi David,

I have 14 turnout motors, of which 3 have failed in one direction.

The three latest that I installed, including two in a three way point, have been modified before installation and work perfectly.

I'm waiting for an opportunity to modify the three failed motors, which unfortunately involves ripping up track buried in ballast. As can be seen in the photos below it will be quite destructive and not for the faint hearted!

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Hi Ray. Your track does look good compared to my C track but of course it does make it more difficult to get at motors etc.
I have probably been lucky but I do keep them clean as I said in maybe that helps. I gave up my three way turnouts a while back as they did not always work although the motors and decoder were OK. and they don't look great.
Hope Brexit will not make a lot of difference where you are when getting Marklin stuff.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Jabez  
#20 Posted : 26 June 2018 18:46:15(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   

I see what you mean, but congrats on the excellent C track ballasting.ThumpUp
Jabez

I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline river6109  
#21 Posted : 27 June 2018 08:16:42(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Ray,

sorry to hear about your failed motors and trying to lift them after you've ballasted it.
I've done the ballasting similar to you but left a -mm gap between ballast and track (it wasn't glued to the track)
part from re-organizing the track work couple of years ago we've re-used the old K-track sleek turnouts and double switches but over the years I have been filing them down with a diamond sandpaper, it only takes off the top of the middle stud to regain proper contact and I have replaced most of the motors with ESU servo motors and they work fine.
I have a small section made from C-track (former M-track) as I already had cork strips glued down onto the board and I didn't want to rip them all off as well, so I just removed the M-track and replaced it with C-track, most of it worked or fitted into the open spaces left over from the M-track. I had one motor that didn't work and it wasn't that hard to remove the sleek turnout as all tracks had been fitted between the cork strips and formed the ballast. the turnout itself one of the circuit board strips was broken (new) and I re-soldered it and it works fine since than.

another thing one could mention, with the K & C track turnouts lantern and lights this is an extra one has to purchase which adds to the price again.

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline hxmiesa  
#22 Posted : 03 July 2018 17:59:37(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I havent yet had a single K-track solenoid fail me. (knock-on-wood!)
I have several different older and newer models. I always solder over the end cut-off lines. I operate them with 24Vdc. The switch-pulse is limited in time to a few fractions of a second.

The few problems I have are actually with M-track; If the track gets damaged/bent, the mecanism can bind. And it´s not easy to take a apart on a permanent layout.
Especially the R2 double scissors crossover fails a lot. I think the mecanism isnt strong enough to change the 4 tounges in the track. (I´ve stopped using them at all)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa