Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 13 June 2018 15:32:10(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

I just dove into a project I've been saying I'd start for 10 years, and hit a bit of a roadblock. I purchased the Liliput Swiss Express Steurwagon with lights as the DC model, because it was on sale for $35 vs ~$125 for the AC variant. I now need to convert it to AC, which I thought would be easy but have encountered a few hurdles. Most notably that it had no instruction pamphlet which could have unlocked secrets.

Does anyone have this model in AC or DC? It appears the AC variant came with an ESU accessory decoder, I suspect because the lighting changeover in DC analogue is polarity activated. This alteration I can easily handle via installation of a 21pin decoder.

The challenge list:

- with decoder installed, I think the project is only a simple matter of a pickup shoe, and the power leads in. For the pickup shoe, does anyone have an image of an AC car showing the shoe and its mounting? (I didn't see any via google) I'm assuming its a simple screw in job.

- The bigger challenge: running power in without frying the PC board. The current system uses copper tabs from the wheels, which touch two pads directly on the PC board. No problem to alter the tabs and use them for the (-) polarity, but then I'm hesitant to use the AC center rail feed to the "line in" for (+). Do any electronic experts think feeding AC or AC digital in to the board will fry the circuitry assuming there is an AC-safe ESU decoder controlling it?

Happy to post images tonight if it helps, and thanks in advance!
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline mario54i  
#2 Posted : 13 June 2018 18:30:13(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   

the pickup shoe is fixed by a spring and there is a 21 pin ESU lokpilot FX decoder

As soon as possible I will disassemble the coach to see how the pcb is made, and possibly to connect the unused function outputs for cabin and interior lighting.

regards
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mario54i
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 13 June 2018 19:10:39(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thank you Mario! This is already a huge help! Whenever you have it apart, I'd love to know/see where they attach the wire from the pickup shoe to the PCB. Thanks!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline mario54i  
#4 Posted : 13 June 2018 21:25:42(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Disassembling the coach was easy. It's basically a DC coach, wheels are isolated, the two copper tapes connecting the wheels are isolated.

The copper spring in the centre is connected to the slider.
This is the bottom side of the pcb, you can see the three pads for contacting the springs. I guess it's the same pcb for AC and DC.

Connections between wheels, slider and decoder are on the top side of the pcb, two solder joints you can see in the red circle

I suppose that in a DC coach these are missing.
Hope this helps

regards

Mario
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mario54i
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 13 June 2018 23:57:08(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I would almost suggest that you try to procure a Steuerwagen on ebay.de or ricardo.ch. It will be cheaper than the parts that you will need to convert a DC one to AC
I do not know whether the two versions share the same PC board or whether there are differences between the AC and DC models.
There were a number of models where the shell did not properly sit on the chassis and the light shone down on the tracks through the space.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Bart  
#6 Posted : 13 June 2018 23:57:33(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Thanks for the excellent info, Mario.

I do have both AC and DC versions.

They are highly similar
UserPostedImage
Bottom: DC version with 21-pin analog dongle

UserPostedImage
Solder bridges, DC (left) - AC (right)

My AC version came with a fully functional LP v2 DCC
UserPostedImage
Apparently with standard factory programming including F4 direct control Wink - only FLf/FLr are required
*Bart
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bart
Offline Bart  
#7 Posted : 14 June 2018 00:11:03(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I would almost suggest that you try to procure a Steuerwagen on ebay.de or ricardo.ch. It will be cheaper than the parts that you will need to convert a DC one to AC

I happen to have another L388885 AC without a decoder (and the L388884 DC depicted) I would be happy to sell. Shipping costs to US may be a hurdle, though.
*Bart
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#8 Posted : 14 June 2018 02:17:51(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks gents! The level om friendship and support is simply incredible on this forum!

Image of my board is attached- it would appear the only difference is that AC solder bridge in the corner? (which may or my not be a nightmare to alter...) If that is the case, this should be cake after the solder redo. A marklin 7175 slider fits perfectly, and I can run a wire from the slider to the center tab underneath the PCB.

Or- perhaps still use the outer positive and negative leads underneath the board, and run the pickup shoe to one of those after cutting the copper tab underneath? (therefore negating the need to do some risky soldering on the board? I'm not sure if this method can work- the board electronics are too complicated for me!

From there pop on the 21 pin decoder and I'm set!

IMG_1045.JPG
SBB Era 2-5
Offline mario54i  
#9 Posted : 14 June 2018 18:20:05(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Once open adding interior and cabin lighting was not difficult

controlled by F1 and F2, just connecting to AUX1 and AUX2 pins on the MTC21 connector.
Next step will be a keep alive capacitor for decoder

regards
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mario54i
Offline Bart  
#10 Posted : 14 June 2018 18:53:04(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
A few issues to be considered – partly interrelated:

1. The DC version has wheel pickups at both bogeys. The AC version has wheel pickups at the far end only, not at the cab end. That’s why the AC version requires the long copper strips to provide mass/wheel contact from the far end bogey to the cab end. In the DC version, those strips are without use, as each bogey has wheel/mass contacts.

2. If you mount a pickup shoe on the DC bogey, you may want to check whether the slider can sit on top of the wheel contacts without shortcut, or you may need to remove those DC wheel contacts. If removed, you will need to rely on the far end for mass contact, and keep the long strips intact.

3. Are you planning to replace the DC axles by AC versions? If retaining the DC wheels, you want to interconnect both long strips by a piece of wire at any place, to improve mass return and to enable detection by contact track. If you need to remove the cab end wheel contacts to mount the pickup shoe, be sure to mount AC axles, otherwise the cab end won’t be detected by contact track.

Originally Posted by: mario54i Go to Quoted Post

UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post

it would appear the only difference is that AC solder bridge in the corner? (which may or my not be a nightmare to alter...) If that is the case, this should be cake after the solder redo. A marklin 7175 slider fits perfectly, and I can run a wire from the slider to the center tab underneath the PCB.

Or- perhaps still use the outer positive and negative leads underneath the board, and run the pickup shoe to one of those after cutting the copper tab underneath? (therefore negating the need to do some risky soldering on the board? I'm not sure if this method can work- the board electronics are too complicated for me

4. Either method would work. The pcb leads just connect the pickups to pins 21 (black) and 22 (red) of the decoder connector.
As far I can deduct from your pics, this is a simple draft of the pc boards.
UserPostedImage

DC version: the right-sided R+ wheel contact is connected to pin 22 (red/+) through the vertical solder bridge. The left L- wheel contact connects directly to pin 21 (black/-)

AC version: The slider connects to pin 22 (red) through the upper horizontal solder bridge. The right-sided R+ wheel pad now is linked to the left L- pad through the lower horizontal solder bridge and to pin 21 (black).

If you would opt for option 1 – soldering the slider lead to the middle slider pad on the pc board, you will need to make the AC solder bridges, and make sure to completely remove the vertical DC solder bridge (otherwise, the right track would shortcut to the slider).

If you would go for option 2 – cut the long copper strip, this should be done at the R+ side, and leave the L- strip connecting to pin 21 intact. In this case, the slider lead should connect to the R+ pad, and the DC solder bridge should remain intact. In this scenario, you may want to remove the cab end wheel pickups, to prevent these from touching the R+ strip you will be using for slider connection.

Edited by user 16 June 2018 20:04:35(UTC)  | Reason: typo

*Bart
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#11 Posted : 14 June 2018 20:08:07(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks Bart! I'll report back after giving it a look tonight. I tend to do the latter and avoid soldering the solder bridge, but I have to give all of this a good look in person after work.

Much appreciated!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#12 Posted : 15 June 2018 02:16:08(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Ok, job not quite done but lots of progress tonight. I opted to alter the circuit board, and not the car itself. The soldering job went smoother than I thought, and the PCB is now ready. Images below of the board with old solder removed, and then with my new joints:

I then got the 7175 slider test-mounted and it seems to be a perfect fit. I drilled the hole in the chassis and ran the wire inside the car for the center rail power.

Mechanically, the factory DC wheels have an insulated coating on the axles, which means the 7175 will not short out. I've also re-gauged them to the Marklin 13.8mm spacing. All is ok, although I did run a wire across both long copper strips for better ground connection like Bart mentions. Images are below of the feeder wire and pickup shoe, although the mounting is not permanent yet. I hope to get to that tomorrow night.

Mario- excellent idea on the capacitor. I may try and fit one in....

Thanks so much for the help! I've ordered the decoder as well.

IMG_1049.JPGIMG_1048.JPGIMG_1046.JPGIMG_1047.JPG

Edited by user 15 June 2018 16:13:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 15 June 2018 21:00:43(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Are you going to wire the slider to the PC board or can you manufacture or order the part with the contact plate as seen on the AC model?

Regards

Mike C
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#14 Posted : 15 June 2018 22:10:41(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Are you going to wire the slider to the PC board or can you manufacture or order the part with the contact plate as seen on the AC model?

Regards

Mike C

I'll just solder the wire, no money or effort + a more reliable electrical contact anyways BigGrin
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Crazy Harry  
#15 Posted : 15 June 2018 22:32:22(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
I opted to alter the circuit board, and not the car itself. The soldering job went smoother than I thought, and the PCB is now ready.

I think this was the best choice. Your other option would have reversed the polarity, although I don't know if that would have been a problem.

Looking forward to read about your final result!

Cheers,

Harold.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#16 Posted : 16 June 2018 18:35:52(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

All set! Only problem is I don't have the decoder to test it Cursing Hopefully that arrives soon enough, my dealer had to special order the ESU one. I don't think I can test it in analogue, since the decoder attachment that came with it (image #3 below) was for DC?

Some images are below, the pickup shoe took some guessing. The screw that holds the truck/wheels in cannot be too tight otherwise they cannot rotate/turn around curves. This means you cannot tighten the pickup shoe if mounted the way I show in the earlier post images. The secondary problem was that arrangement left the pickup shoe without enough spring/pressure against the center rail. The easy solution to all of this was cut two small strips of .015 styrene. I used testers orange tube glue to mount styrene-pickup shoe board. Then for the other side, I used plastruct plastic weld (a must-have for any modeller) to "weld" the styrene to the bogie. Two problems fixed with one solution!

Images below. The more I wait for the decoder, the more I'm thinking about adding LED lighting to the whole train. (the circuit for which I've been working on, and I think I can do it for about $2/car beyond the initial car. Full forum post to follow). In this case the lead car already has the decoder and everything, so why not? If I get the time before the decoder arrives I may convert the set.

Mario- for the LED's, did you use the 12v DC strips? If so, did you need resistors or anything from the decoder to the lights?

Images below! Fingers crossed it all actually works though...

IMG_1051.JPGIMG_1055.JPGIMG_1058.JPGIMG_1053.JPGIMG_1054.JPG
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline Bart  
#17 Posted : 16 June 2018 20:20:16(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
*Bart
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#18 Posted : 17 June 2018 15:53:46(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bart Go to Quoted Post

Thanks Bart! That confirms my query then- did you need resistors to get the power to 12v DC for the LEDs, or was the output from the FX decoder sufficient as-is?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Bart  
#19 Posted : 18 June 2018 19:37:57(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   

Thanks Bart! That confirms my query then- did you need resistors to get the power to 12v DC for the LEDs, or was the output from the FX decoder sufficient as-is?

You sure will need resistors - the value depends on the configuration of the LED strips.
If your boards did not come with a specification, I would use these basic principles:
As a rule of thumb, LEDs roughly require 2 Volt, and the decoder delivers 22V.
So you need to step down 22-2=20V.
A LED or LED board will take approx. 20mA (unless specified otherwise), so the standard rule V = I * R dictates a resistor of 1000Ω (1 kΩ)
It would be safe to start with such a resistor.

This is what I did in my previous post; you may locate the tiny blue 1kΩ resistor at the left-hand side of each strip, connecting the black lead to the LED strip
UserPostedImage

If you would be absolutely sure from the specs that your LED board requires 12V (which would imply that it already has resistors on-board to provide 2V to the LEDs), you will want an additional resistor to step down from 22V to 12V.
According to the same formula: R = V/I = 10V/20mA = 10/(20/1000) = 500Ω.
If in doubt, I would start with a higher value and step down if the light is too weak.
*Bart
Offline Bart  
#20 Posted : 18 June 2018 22:44:20(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
I was inspired by this thread to convert my own L388885 (AC version) - I replaced the LP2dcc by an LP3fx and interior lights.
As the decoder board has no function outputs, I soldered wires to pins 15 and 16.

Liliput L388884 - 1 (1).jpgLiliput L388884 - 1 (2).jpgLiliput L388884 - 1 (3).jpg
check the 1kΩ resistor Smile
Liliput L388884 - 1 (4).jpg
I have added a connector for the other cars
Liliput L388884 - 1 (5).jpgLiliput L388884 - 1 (6).jpg
*Bart
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#21 Posted : 19 June 2018 15:43:32(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
I was inspired by this thread to convert my own L388885 (AC version) - I replaced the LP2dcc by an LP3fx and interior lights.
As the decoder board has no function outputs, I soldered wires to pins 15 and 16.

check the 1kΩ resistor Smile

I have added a connector for the other cars

Hi Bart, nice work! And mirrors my plans for the set as well. The 1k resistor saves me some calculations!

Who makes/where did you get those 2 pin car-to-car connectors? They look great!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Bart  
#22 Posted : 19 June 2018 18:44:37(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   

Hi Bart, nice work! And mirrors my plans for the set as well. The 1k resistor saves me some calculations!

Who makes/where did you get those 2 pin car-to-car connectors? They look great!

Ebay seller Ledbaron (there may be others): ledbaron connectors Ebay
*Bart
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bart
Offline GlennM  
#23 Posted : 21 June 2018 12:34:54(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
I've also re-gauged them to the Marklin 13.8mm spacing.

I am interested to learn how you did the re-gauging of the wheels and any tools used?

BR
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#24 Posted : 21 June 2018 17:27:41(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post

I am interested to learn how you did the re-gauging of the wheels and any tools used?

BR

Hi- I used the fohrman tools. They sell everything you need! https://www.fohrmann.com/de/
SBB Era 2-5
Offline GlennM  
#25 Posted : 21 June 2018 19:41:02(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post

BR

Hi- I used the fohrman tools. They sell everything you need! https://www.fohrmann.com/de/

Interesting many thanks ThumpUp ThumpUp
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#26 Posted : 02 October 2018 18:51:19(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

An update on this (near completed!) project:

I [u]finally[u] received the accesory decoder in the mail, which of course popped right in and all is working! Well, almost...

So the lighting on the coach is opposite that of the locomotive. Meaning when the loco shows forward lighting the coach shows reverse. Now I realize I could just turn the locomotive around, but I thought I'd ask: is there a way to program the accessory decoder for this? (meaning reversing the lighting?) One thing I didn't check was whether the locomotive lighting was wired backwards. I'll have a peek at that tonight.

More importantly, a nightmare has arisen in the meanwhile: one LED for the reverse red lighting has fallen off the PCB somehow. if I hold it in place with a pair of tweezers it does still work, but does anybody have a clue how to reattach this? It doesn't look soldered on to begin with, and its a scary looking job regardless!

Once I sort the light reassembly out I'll post images of the full set!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Webmaster  
#27 Posted : 02 October 2018 19:26:50(UTC)
Webmaster

Hold in place and a small drop of acrylic "superglue", maybe?

Just a crazy idea... Others will hopefully know better better advice...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#28 Posted : 02 October 2018 20:15:00(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Hold in place and a small drop of acrylic "superglue", maybe?

Just a crazy idea... Others will hopefully know better better advice...

I thought abut glue- but does superglue conduct electricity?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Webmaster  
#29 Posted : 02 October 2018 20:20:44(UTC)
Webmaster

Not when dried up, as I imagine... It's a polymer glue that turns into "plastic"...

Like I said, just an idea, hope other members can give better ideas... Smile
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline jvuye  
#30 Posted : 02 October 2018 22:40:19(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi everyone,

An update on this (near completed!) project:

I [u]finally[u] received the accesory decoder in the mail, which of course popped right in and all is working! Well, almost...

So the lighting on the coach is opposite that of the locomotive. Meaning when the loco shows forward lighting the coach shows reverse. Now I realize I could just turn the locomotive around, but I thought I'd ask: is there a way to program the accessory decoder for this? (meaning reversing the lighting?) One thing I didn't check was whether the locomotive lighting was wired backwards. I'll have a peek at that tonight.

More importantly, a nightmare has arisen in the meanwhile: one LED for the reverse red lighting has fallen off the PCB somehow. if I hold it in place with a pair of tweezers it does still work, but does anybody have a clue how to reattach this? It doesn't look soldered on to begin with, and its a scary looking job regardless!

Once I sort the light reassembly out I'll post images of the full set!

For the reversed lights: set CV 29 bit 0 to 1, and the direction will be opposite.
Cheers
Jacques

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#31 Posted : 03 October 2018 02:40:25(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

For the reversed lights: set CV 29 bit 0 to 1, and the direction will be opposite.
Cheers
Jacques

Fantastic- thank you so much! That solves half the battle...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline jvuye  
#32 Posted : 03 October 2018 12:03:34(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

Fantastic- thank you so much! That solves half the battle...

As for the other half of the battle: this is SMT ( Surface Mount Technology)
Very carefully heat, with super fine soldering iron and just a tiny drop of solder tin as heatsink, at the "loose" end of the component and gently press the LED on the PCB and maintain pressure for a few seconds until it cools off.
Normally the solder goes from shiny (hot/flowing) to dull (cold/hard)
Use magnifying glass to observe , it's indispensable!
Used to do this a lot when assembling and testing the first Bluetooth radio prototype boards 20 years ago, but I don't have the steady hands no more!Laugh
Good luck
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#33 Posted : 04 October 2018 18:12:25(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Sadly, I think the LED itself may somehow be toast. The board is putting out a tested 13-14VDC, so I know thats good. But I no longer can seem to get it to light up on touch contact, and after soldering it on I seem to have no luck either. I'll need to give it all another look, but I worry polarity might have mattered and I zapped it?

More to follow...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#34 Posted : 24 February 2019 19:03:40(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone, I'm reviving this thread as I get into the project.

@bart: if you don't mind my asking, are you running capacitors at all? If not, are you getting flicker?

I think my plan is a circuit like yours:

Lokpilot FX - 1k ohm resistor - LED strip - (coach connection), then repeat from car to car. Only question mark being a capacitor (or capacitors per car)

A question for the wiser electronic minds that my own: does it matter how many cars I connect on this circuit? Or would that impact the resistor values? I suspect not, and all additional cars would do is put more draw on the decoder?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Bart  
#35 Posted : 25 February 2019 23:24:32(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Hi everyone, I'm reviving this thread as I get into the project.

@bart: if you don't mind my asking, are you running capacitors at all? If not, are you getting flicker?

Hi, I haven't used a capacitor yet.
As the function decoder provides clean DC, there is no need for an additional rectifier for each LED strip, and flicker is minimal.
To buffer track/pickup shoe interruptions, you may consider to add a buffer capacitor – I did not feel the need until now

H
A question for the wiser electronic minds that my own: does it matter how many cars I connect on this circuit? Or would that impact the resistor values? I suspect not, and all additional cars would do is put more draw on the decoder?

The LED strips in the cars are connected in parallel, i.e., each is separately connected to the plus and minus leads running through the cars (F1 decoder output and orange function return), each strip with its own 1kΩ resistor.
Indeed, additional cars put more draw in the decoder. Function decoders typically provide 250 mA output (some may have 100 mA outputs). Add up 20 mA for each led strip, so you will be safe for a long consist with a 250 mA decoder, whereas I would avoid using a 100 mA output.

*Bart
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#36 Posted : 26 February 2019 14:34:36(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks Bart! This is much easier with decoder than the circuit I was building from direct track current. (although that I will still use in most consists)

I ordered a variety pack of resistors on ebay, so once they show up I'll get to work and report back!
SBB Era 2-5