Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skeeterbuck  
#1 Posted : 19 May 2018 21:26:16(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I was using my MS2 and running a Brawa loco that I had programed into the MS earlier. I changed locos to my converted BR81 with a Märklin sound decoder installed and I searched through my loco list and found the loco. When I went to actually control it this appeared. (see pics) First the "Keine Lok!" and when I selected the shift button and the loco changed buttons the scrambled screen came up. I've tried resetting the MS2 by unplugging it several times and no change. I even left it for about an hour and returned later and it was still the same. Damn digital! Cursing

Any ideas on how to fix this ?

FYI: I had about 12 locos programmed into my MS2 at the time. It's not a brand new unit.

Thanks,
Chuck

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]
[img]UserPostedImage[/img]
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 19 May 2018 21:29:33(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Chuck,

Sorry to hear about that.

If screen is still responsive I would try attempting a factory reset.

Try and look at the manual and investigate what steps/buttons are needed to press to activate a factory reset?

Best Regards and good luck

Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline skeeterbuck  
#3 Posted : 19 May 2018 22:11:23(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Lasse, I looked in the manual I downloaded from the Märklin site and I can't find anything on how to do a factory reset of the MS2.

Offline Joe Meiring  
#4 Posted : 19 May 2018 22:35:04(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
Lasse, I looked in the manual I downloaded from the Märklin site and I can't find anything on how to do a factory reset of the MS2.

Chuck- hopefully ure ms2 is still responsive. In the 60653 instruction guide page 20: Reset- select Factory default setting. Start reset? Yes
Joe M
Cape Town
Medium digital C track layout with MS2: When I grow up I want to be a steam engine driver....
Offline skeeterbuck  
#5 Posted : 20 May 2018 00:05:07(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post

Chuck- hopefully ure ms2 is still responsive. In the 60653 instruction guide page 20: Reset- select Factory default setting. Start reset? Yes
Joe M
Cape Town

Joe, that's to reset a decoder in a loco not to reset the MS itself.

Chuck
Offline skeeterbuck  
#6 Posted : 20 May 2018 00:07:04(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I spoke with another member and was given the sequence to reset the MS 2, but no luck, it still the same as before. Mad Sad

Chuck
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 20 May 2018 00:08:22(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
"Factory default settings" is for resetting the MS2.

To reset a decoder it's on another menu and it's called "Reset Loco".
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline dominator  
#8 Posted : 20 May 2018 00:34:36(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Chuck, best thing you can do if find someone close who has a CS2 and get them to upload the version 2.7 onto your MS2. It worked for me. From the look of it, your MS2 has sort of gone back wards by converting to German txt again which is what happens sometimes when you reset to factory settings. Happened with one of mine. Apparently there are bugs in V 2.5. Things go wrong out of the blue and just when you try to load a new Loco on.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline skeeterbuck  
#9 Posted : 20 May 2018 01:00:51(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Here's a link to the MS 2 and the manual on a pdf file from the Märklin site:

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/60657/

On page 20 it shows how to reset a loco. There's no where I can find in the manual for resetting the MS 2 itself. If anyone can find it there please let me know on what page.

Thanks!
Offline Donb  
#10 Posted : 20 May 2018 02:27:37(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Here's a link to the MS 2 and the manual on a pdf file from the Märklin site:

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/60657/

On page 20 it shows how to reset a loco. There's no where I can find in the manual for resetting the MS 2 itself. If anyone can find it there please let me know on what page.

Thanks!

Hi,

Top of page 21, resetting to factory default settings.

Good luck!

Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
Offline TEEWolf  
#11 Posted : 20 May 2018 02:37:27(UTC)
TEEWolf

I was using my MS2 and running a Brawa loco that I had programmed into the MS earlier. I changed locos to my converted BR81 with a Märklin sound decoder installed and I searched through my loco list and found the loco. When I went to actually control it this appeared. (see pics) First the "Keine Lok!" and when I selected the shift button and the loco changed buttons the scrambled screen came up. I've tried resetting the MS2 by unplugging it several times and no change. I even left it for about an hour and returned later and it was still the same. Damn digital! Cursing

Any ideas on how to fix this ?

FYI: I had about 12 locos programmed into my MS2 at the time. It's not a brand new unit.

Thanks,
Chuck

Hello Chuck,

you got a MS 2 60653? Because then you only can use 10 locos from your active loco list (which I call driving bar). I do this to to mark out the active against the internal loco list. Yes, a MS 2 has 2 different loco lists inside. Märklin issued the technical tip # 307 explaining the organisation of a MS 2 – unfortunately again only in German – sorry. Nevertheless here is the link to #307

https://www.maerklin.de/...faq/Technik-Tipp-307.pdf

On the driving bar you only can set up 10 locos for running. There is a 11th space available as a kind of reserve to install another loco although all your ten spaces are occupied. So you cannot program 12 locos on a MS 2 at the same time. As I remember, if you exceed the 11 positions another loco will be deleted from the driving bar and moved into the internal database.

But your pictures show always "Keine Lok". Normally this is the message, if both loco databases are empty. Then indeed you have no locos available in your MS 2 – that is the meaning of “Keine Lok!”.

This can happen, if you have done the instruction "Lok löschen". This deletes the data of both MS 2 databases. Then the message "Keine Lok" occurs. This is correct because in both databases are no data for any locos stored. The same situation occurs, if you are doing a reset of the MS 2. The reset deletes also all entries in both MS 2 databases and bring you back to the factory default settings of a MS 2. All your programmings you have done before are gone. You have to redo it.

But first of all you should switch the language to English of your MS 2. You find the description on page 4 in the English version of the manual. The point is that the manual is quite strange in the English version. After opening the manual PDF file you have to got to the last page (bottom). There the English manual starts. But it stands upside down. Turn the pages around by a 180°. Then the English pages of the manual has to be moved backwards. On page 4 you find under heading: “Settings for the Mobile Station – Language” how to change the language for your MS 2 to English.

Do you have access to a CS 2 or CS 3? Then I would recommend to use your MS 2 next via a CS not through your track box. Please look about your MS 2, if an update will be done from the CS to your MS 2. Then try to install your locos again, while your MS 2 is connected with the CS. In this configurtion you have access to the loco database in the CS. If you need further help please let me know.

Do you read the “Märklin Magazine”? Since MM 01/2018 a series of articles about the MS 2 started. Title: “ Alles über die Mobile Station 2 (ab MM 01/2018)“ ("All about the Mobile Station 2") In the English version of the MM these articles are in English, but on its webpage Märklin is only publishing these articles in German. Nevertheless here is the link:

https://www.maerklin.de/...men-specials-und-serien/

If you need help for translation please let me know.

regards

Wolfgang
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline skeeterbuck  
#12 Posted : 20 May 2018 04:44:02(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Please look at my first post. Maybe I didn't make it clear and in that case it's my fault. I get only get the "Keine Lok" screen. When you try ant additional settings you just get the scramble screen shown in the second pic. If I try using either button with the wrench logo I get a scrambled screen. I can get beyond the first screen. I tried resetting the MS 2 by a friend using their mobile station to guide me through the buttons to push in the proper sequence but it did no good. They also have a CS and if I can't get it figured out I'll have to send it to them as unfortunately they live in another state.

Chuck

Edited by user 31 May 2018 13:12:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline RayF  
#13 Posted : 20 May 2018 12:29:11(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have, on the odd occasion, observed a scrambled screen like yours on my MS2. Usually pressing any other button restores the screen, but on the odd occasion when it hasn't the MS2 reboots itself a few seconds later and then all is well again.

The problem with yours looks like a problem with the firmware or maybe an actual hardware fault has occurred. It may need to be sent back to Marklin, unfortunately.
Ray
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 20 May 2018 13:30:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

On the driving bar you only can set up 10 locos for running. There is a 11th space available as a kind of reserve to install another loco although all your ten spaces are occupied.

The loco in the 11th position will not be remembered unless the loco is on a memory card that you can plug in. Makes it a pain if you have put an 11th loco on the layout, and it is an mfx one. It loads into the 11th positon, but once you power cycle the ms2 it is lost. The ms2 won't reload it as it knows it already, but if the info hasn't been put on a card then you have to go into the internal database to find it.

Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 20 May 2018 14:14:34(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
The loco in the 11th position will not be remembered unless the loco is on a memory card that you can plug in. Makes it a pain if you have put an 11th loco on the layout, and it is an mfx one.
This issue no longer exists since the loco list was extended to 40 locos - I think this came with firmware 1.64 or so.

Bricked MS2 can sometimes be resurrected by pressing the speed knob while plugging the MS2 into the CS2.

The MS2 has an internal "file system" with loco list and other data. Sometimes this file system gets corrupted. The files from the file system can be deleted - but IMHO you should only delete the files if you have another MS2 or a CS2 so the MS2 can restore the files.
Sometimes the boot process slows down on the master MS2 due to messed-up file system. Tabula rasa will speed up the boot process

Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
From the look of it, your MS2 has sort of gone back wards by converting to German txt again which is what happens sometimes when you reset to factory settings.
In my experience the MS2 always returns to German when you do a factory reset.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline skeeterbuck  
#16 Posted : 21 May 2018 00:23:54(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Sometimes this file system gets corrupted.

Tom, how could this happen? Is it something possibly internal in the MS 2 that would cause this?

When this occurred I only had one loco on a test track consisting of 6 pieces of straight track.

Chuck
Offline skeeterbuck  
#17 Posted : 21 May 2018 00:25:54(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
In my experience the MS2 always returns to German when you do a factory reset.

This would make sense as when new the MS 2 starts in German and you have to switch it as in my case to English.

Chuck
Offline TEEWolf  
#18 Posted : 21 May 2018 04:37:13(UTC)
TEEWolf

Please look at my first post. Maybe I didn't make it clean and in that case it's my fault. I get only get the "Keine Lok" screen. When you try ant additional settings you just get the scramble screen shown in the second pic. If I try using either button with the wrench logo I get a scrambled screen. I can get beyond the first screen. I tried resetting the MS 2 by a friend using their mobile station to guide me through the buttons to push in the proper sequence but it did no good. They also have a CS and if I can't get it figured out I'll have to send it to them as unfortunately they live in another state.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck for the further information. Yes, when you did a reset, all parameters were returned to the factory default settings. So your language changed back to the German.

I know both screens from your pictures by myself too. But sorry I cannot remember what I all had done to get rid of them. I only remember after a reset it was working again. But all data was gone and had to set up again. This was the reason I bought the loco cards. Then I stored all my individual settings onto these cards, which was very helpful. When I had to reset my MS 2 again, I had a backup for my locos. Shortly after getting this scrambled screen I made a software update to 2.3 and then this screen never occurred again.

As @dominator in post #9 recommended already, do an update to version 2.7 first, before sending your MS 2 to Germany. Do you have a dealer or friend close to you with a CS 2 or CS 3 for an update? Otherwise send it to your friend with a CS. I guess postage within the USA is cheaper as to Germany. But before your MS 2 update will be done, make sure that the updating CS 2 or CS 3 got their latest software version too. Because with their updates comes the MS 2 updates too. Once I got this experience unfortunately too.

If you want to know, if there is a Märklin shop close to you, Märklin has a store locator in its website

https://www.maerklin.de/...tore-locator/?no_cache=1

Perhaps you may not have to send your MS 2 anywhere.

Regards

Wolfgang

Offline Joe Meiring  
#19 Posted : 21 May 2018 08:59:47(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   

Tom, how could this happen? Is it something possibly internal in the MS 2 that would cause this?

When this occurred I only had one loco on a test track consisting of 6 pieces of straight track.

Chuck

So frustrating Chuck!
I've had similar issues with my MS2's over the past 7 years- the unit wud freeze, or suddenly switch off while operating, locos wud accelerate while slowing them down and vice versa. Scrambled screens also an issue.
Fortunately by powering off completely (pulling plug out at wall) and waiting 20 secs or so before powering up again have solved the problems. (not Always tho) And All stored locos are almost always lost!
Long ago I bought a back up MS2 so when one conked in I could still operate!
I currently have v2.5 and HW 2.1 on the one and 2.5 and HW 2.0 on the other. Biggest prob lately is the one unit will suddenly switch off totally. Locos all carry on running and after a while unit comes back to life- in "stop" mode! And I have to quickly set speeds and functions of locos back to where they were.....totally maddening...given up sending them back to M....total waste of money in postage costs. And NEVER a response as to WHY this is happening.
Total silence from M....
So hope u can solve the issues!
(If I cud afford it an ECOS wud be on its way)
Joe

Medium digital C track layout with MS2: When I grow up I want to be a steam engine driver....
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Joe Meiring
Offline skeeterbuck  
#20 Posted : 21 May 2018 12:35:35(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Thank you all for your thoughtful advice. I've already made plans to return it to my dealer. They will check it out and do any updates if needed. It is still under warranty so if it's beyond repair, I just get a new one. I wouldn't return it to Germany because of the expensive shipping cost. I'm seriously thinking of getting a backup one because this could be a real inconvenience if I really needed it for some reason like during the Christmas Holidays when friends come to visit and enjoy watching the trains.

I like the idea of having all the locos on cards. This maybe also something to consider going forward. I'll do an update when I hear back on the status of my MS 2.

Chuck
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline TEEWolf  
#21 Posted : 21 May 2018 15:39:13(UTC)
TEEWolf

Chuck

So frustrating Chuck!
I've had similar issues with my MS2's over the past 7 years- the unit wud freeze, or suddenly switch off while operating, locos wud accelerate while slowing them down and vice versa. Scrambled screens also an issue.
Fortunately by powering off completely (pulling plug out at wall) and waiting 20 secs or so before powering up again have solved the problems. (not Always tho) And All stored locos are almost always lost!
Long ago I bought a back up MS2 so when one conked in I could still operate!
I currently have v2.5 and HW 2.1 on the one and 2.5 and HW 2.0 on the other. Biggest prob lately is the one unit will suddenly switch off totally. Locos all carry on running and after a while unit comes back to life- in "stop" mode! And I have to quickly set speeds and functions of locos back to where they were.....totally maddening...given up sending them back to M....total waste of money in postage costs. And NEVER a response as to WHY this is happening.
Total silence from M....
So hope u can solve the issues!
(If I cud afford it an ECOS wud be on its way)
Joe

Sorry Joe

since I got Version 2.7 on my both MS 2 I never had this male functions. Anyway, by software you never know what will happen sooner or later. That is why I installed the loco card system for my locos as well. This is an easy and comfortable hardware backup for your locos. But first i would recommend to update your MS 2 on the latest version. This is Märklin's recommendation too.

By the way, does you computer respond to you while he is going into a blue screen? Which happens to me quite often especially by Windows 10 - more as all the other OS before. So is software and do not believe these will ever change.

regards

Wolfgang

P.S. How do you know an ECos (which actually equals with a CS 2 or CS 3 and not a MS 2) does not have similar problems while you never used one?
Offline Joe Meiring  
#22 Posted : 21 May 2018 16:51:23(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   
Hi Wolfgang
My Marklin friend has an ECos - had it for 3 years now- and no problems to date. He's very very happy with all the functions of the unit. He decided against the CS3 because of all the bugs at the launch of the new Marklin central stations.
The MS2 is only an entry level controller, I know, so can't compare with ECos, but I did expect better reliability from the units.....rather sad....
Joe
Unfortunately I don't know of anyone in Cape Town that has an updated CS, so I can't download to v2.7.
Owners of the CS2 aren't too keen to do updates because of all the problems Marklin have had!
Offline David Dewar  
#23 Posted : 21 May 2018 17:13:20(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Wolfgang
My Marklin friend has an ECos - had it for 3 years now- and no problems to date. He's very very happy with all the functions of the unit. He decided against the CS3 because of all the bugs at the launch of the new Marklin central stations.
The MS2 is only an entry level controller, I know, so can't compare with ECos, but I did expect better reliability from the units.....rather sad....
Joe
Unfortunately I don't know of anyone in Cape Town that has an updated CS, so I can't download to v2.7.
Owners of the CS2 aren't too keen to do updates because of all the problems Marklin have had!

Joe. I have had my CS2 (made in 2008) and never had a problem. I am going to change shortly for a CS3 which by now should probably be OK. One thing I never do is add other stuff from other manufacturers to my CS2 and only use Marklin.

I don't doubt the EUS controller but they will always have to catch up with any changes Marklin may make.

There does appear to be problems with the MS2 which is not good. If you could pick up a second hand CS2 in good condition I am sure you would be happy with it. A good dealer should also be able to help if you have anybody local or at least close enough for speedy postal turn round.

It is always annoying when things like this go wrong and I understand your frustration.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline TEEWolf  
#24 Posted : 21 May 2018 17:55:59(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi Wolfgang
Joe

Hello Joe

as you wrote, a MS 2 is an entry level controller. This you do not get from ESU.

But Cape Town (3.7 Mio people) is a big city, even bigger as Berlin (3.6 Mio people), the biggest city in Germany.BigGrin

Don't you think you find somebody who may update your MS 2? I bet a Maß beer against an empty bottle of Cape Town wine Huh Blink that there is a dealer or MRR club in your city who can do this.

Here is a link to the Märklin website for a Märklin dealer search:

If you find nobody (Märklins search engine is not the best - perhaps you try it by Google is much better) then just write to Märklin service and ask them for an update possibility.

Service address here

https://www.maerklin.de/...nservice/telefonservice/

Oh Märklin these bu.... do list there address only at the German website.Cursing

Regards

Wolfgang
Offline skeeterbuck  
#25 Posted : 21 May 2018 18:21:02(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
As a somewhat side note to my problem is trying to locating a real Märklin dealer in my state. If you do a search for a dealer in Maryland it will give me about 6 different ones. However, when you check with them or go on their websites, they usually don't have any actually Märklin stock and don't do any repairs. Therefore the only "support" they offer is to advise you to send it back to Märklin. Mad My guess is that they just place orders for you with Walthers (Märklin USA).

There was a great Märklin full service dealer in Baltimore, but sadly they closed over 10 years ago. Since then it's been strictly mailorder.
Offline Joe Meiring  
#26 Posted : 21 May 2018 19:14:33(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   
As a somewhat side note to my problem is trying to locating a real Märklin dealer in my state. If you do a search for a dealer in Maryland it will give me about 6 different ones. However, when you check with them or go on their websites, they usually don't have any actually Märklin stock and don't do any repairs. Therefore the only "support" they offer is to advise you to send it back to Märklin. Mad My guess is that they just place orders for you with Walthers (Märklin USA).

There was a great Märklin full service dealer in Baltimore, but sadly they closed over 10 years ago. Since then it's been strictly mailorder.

I know the feeling Chuck! We do have 1 M dealer in CT, but any repairs still have to be sent to Germany. Horrendously expensive with our postage fees.
We were in Florida recently visiting with family-wonderful time!-and I visited a M dealer in Fort Lauderdale, Discount Train & Hobby, owner Rick Basini. Great store, packed with M stock-Locos, track, wagons.... I bought a number of items! Great guy, Rick! Wouldn't know how far that is from you tho!! ...
Maybe we need to heed David's advice above - look for a decent second hand CS2!
I've updated over the years from v1.1 to 2.5 but still faults/bugs persist. Now they say 2.7 is the "answer".....and M know they're "at fault" - they replaced one of my MS2 which was way out of warranty at no cost a number of years ago. (Just as they did with their faulty turnout motors that I returned!)
Sadly two mobile stations I sent back about 4 years ago for repairs came back with the same faults still there.....Cursing
At least I have that back up controller! Just hope it stays good!
Best wishes
Joe

Offline Joe Meiring  
#27 Posted : 21 May 2018 19:21:56(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Hi Wolfgang
Joe

Joe. I have had my CS2 (made in 2008) and never had a problem. I am going to change shortly for a CS3 which by now should probably be OK. One thing I never do is add other stuff from other manufacturers to my CS2 and only use Marklin.

I don't doubt the EUS controller but they will always have to catch up with any changes Marklin may make.

There does appear to be problems with the MS2 which is not good. If you could pick up a second hand CS2 in good condition I am sure you would be happy with it. A good dealer should also be able to help if you have anybody local or at least close enough for speedy postal turn round.

It is always annoying when things like this go wrong and I understand your frustration.

Tx David- just send your CS2 to Cape Town when you get your CS3Laugh
I think you are right tho- my friend here has a CS2, not a "new" model and has had no problems either....will do some searching here and in Johannesburg where there are more M fellows.
Joe

Offline Minok  
#28 Posted : 21 May 2018 22:57:22(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

If you want to know, if there is a Märklin shop close to you, Märklin has a store locator in its website

Perhaps you may not have to send your MS 2 anywhere.

Unfortunately the Märklin database can be wildly inaccurate. It lists Eastside Trains in Kirkland as being a dealer but going to their website there is no mention of anything Märklin related. I don't think that the database is actively maintained to ensure folks looking things up don't go on wild goose chases.

While it is true that an MS Windows machine will blue screen occasionally, a Mobile Station isn't comparable to a general purpose computer and is more an appliance that does one thing only, which the owner/user doesn't change - it runs one and only one application, so there is a greater expectation that something like a Mobile Station is more robust over time.

From the photos, seems like a hardware failure or the flash memory storage on the MS has had a write error/ electrical glitch corrupting some data.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline dominator  
#29 Posted : 21 May 2018 23:01:27(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
A few days ago, after updating my 2 MS2's, and while one of them was controlling 3 locos, I noticed the lights kept being switched of on one loco. I pushed F0 several times to correct the problem but it kept switching of. Its been a few days since that happened and I haven't had time to play since so not sure if it still does it. Maybe all the bugs haven't gone yet.!!!!
Dereck
Offline Joe Meiring  
#30 Posted : 22 May 2018 08:01:35(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   

Ah yes Dereck.....the bugs have NOT gone😟
Joe
Offline H0  
#31 Posted : 22 May 2018 08:13:42(UTC)
H0

Tom, how could this happen?
I don't know. But as far as I can tell they do not clean the file system on a factory reset, neither on a firmware upgrade. It seems the files are growing and growing - and when the MS2 crashes or gets unplugged in the wrong moment, there can be an inconsistency with those files.

On power up, my "slave" MS2 shows the Märklin logo much sooner than the "master" MS2. Therefore the "slave" will be master for a few seconds until the real master is fully operational.
After cleaning the file system, they will boot with the same speed. But then the master will slowly slow down the boot process as the file system collects clutter data.

There were reports of MS2 with damaged product databases. The product database is just a file in the file system and in rare cases the MS2 will have an incomplete copy of that file and registering locos will only work for small ref. numbers. You only see gibberish when turning to the larger ref. numbers.

A lot can go wrong - and neither the problems nor the workarounds are documented in the manual.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline skeeterbuck  
#32 Posted : 22 May 2018 17:05:08(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
My MS 2 is in the mail going back to my dealer. My unit has had very little use even though I've had it about a year now. It still has the plastic film on the screen. I planned on removing it once I started using it on my new layout which is still in the early building stage. I thought the newer black MS 2's all had the newest updates but who knows. I'll hopefully find out what's going on with it.

Chuck
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline TEEWolf  
#33 Posted : 22 May 2018 19:00:37(UTC)
TEEWolf

A few days ago, after updating my 2 MS2's, and while one of them was controlling 3 locos, I noticed the lights kept being switched of on one loco. I pushed F0 several times to correct the problem but it kept switching of. Its been a few days since that happened and I haven't had time to play since so not sure if it still does it. Maybe all the bugs haven't gone yet.!!!!
Dereck

Hello Dereck,

with one MS 2 you controlled 3 locos? It is possible. But which loco you wanted to switch the lights on and out?
A function key is only working for the activ highlighted loco at the "running bar" and or on your screen. So you have to select the loco first before you can alter anything at the loco by a function key - this is even valid for the speed.

Or have you been in another mode? Like the keyboard mode? The manual says:

"The last locomotive used by you remains called up and can continue to be run with the control knob. You must go into the locomotive mode with this button to use the functions on this locomotive or to select another locomotive." (60653 manual - page 11)

Regards

Wolfgang
Offline TEEWolf  
#34 Posted : 22 May 2018 19:13:40(UTC)
TEEWolf

My MS 2 is in the mail going back to my dealer. My unit has had very little use even though I've had it about a year now. It still has the plastic film on the screen. I planned on removing it once I started using it on my new layout which is still in the early building stage. I thought the newer black MS 2's all had the newest updates but who knows. I'll hopefully find out what's going on with it.

Chuck

"...but who knows?" I know!

Once I went with one of my MS 2 (if one is updated you can update your second MS 2 by yourself) to a Digital Day and asked the nice Maerklin Man there, if he can update my MS 2 (I did not have my CS 3 already) with his CS 2. No problem - he did.

But when I was at home I realized he only updated my MS 2 to version 2.3! Although the version 2.5 was already released. Hello - this nice Märklin guy did not had the latest software version on his CS 2. Nevertheless he went to a Digital Day explainig and discussing with the MRR fans the latest digital problems.Blink RollEyes

Perhaps you send your dealer a mail telling him the story - to be sure getting the latest software version. BigGrin
Offline TEEWolf  
#35 Posted : 22 May 2018 20:03:38(UTC)
TEEWolf

I know the feeling Chuck! We do have 1 M dealer in CT, but any repairs still have to be sent to Germany. Horrendously expensive with our postage fees.
We were in Florida recently visiting with family-wonderful time!-and I visited a M dealer in Fort Lauderdale, Discount Train & Hobby, owner Rick Basini. Great store, packed with M stock-Locos, track, wagons.... I bought a number of items! Great guy, Rick! Wouldn't know how far that is from you tho!! ...
Maybe we need to heed David's advice above - look for a decent second hand CS2!
I've updated over the years from v1.1 to 2.5 but still faults/bugs persist. Now they say 2.7 is the "answer".....and M know they're "at fault" - they replaced one of my MS2 which was way out of warranty at no cost a number of years ago. (Just as they did with their faulty turnout motors that I returned!)
Sadly two mobile stations I sent back about 4 years ago for repairs came back with the same faults still there.....Cursing
At least I have that back up controller! Just hope it stays good!
Best wishes
Joe

Hello Joe,

well indeed it is not easy finding a dealer for your special purposes today. I myself joined a Märklin Insider Club and I have to travel about 1 hr for our meetings exchanging our experiences. For joining a Digital Day I always drive 1 to 2 hours for the next Märklin dealer. This in a small country like Germany.

But:

I was searching for you a little bit in the internet. Make your choice please:

http://trains4africa.co.za/?p=3833

https://www.gumtree.co.z...lin+train/v1l3100001q0p1

https://www.ananzi.co.za...r-sale-south-africa.html

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/search/marklin?pageNo=1

http://www.modelrailroad.co.za/

http://www.modelrailroad.co.za/clubs.htm

I do not know which one may help you, but the addresses (as I understand it) are all in Cape Town located. And finally our member and friend at marklin-users.net @Johnvr founded a Märklin Club in Cape town, as he wrote in this community in 2011

https://www.marklin-user...1-Cape-Town-Marklin-Club

https://www.marklin-user...Club-Meeting---5-11-2016

Good success and take it easy, if you receive from Scotland only a bottle of Whiskey and not a CS 2Laugh! Because a CS 2 is minimum still valid for a usage as a booster when buying new stuff like a CS 3.

Regards

Wolfgang

Offline TEEWolf  
#36 Posted : 22 May 2018 20:13:36(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

Unfortunately the Märklin database can be wildly inaccurate. It lists Eastside Trains in Kirkland as being a dealer but going to their website there is no mention of anything Märklin related. I don't think that the database is actively maintained to ensure folks looking things up don't go on wild goose chases.

While it is true that an MS Windows machine will blue screen occasionally, a Mobile Station isn't comparable to a general purpose computer and is more an appliance that does one thing only, which the owner/user doesn't change - it runs one and only one application, so there is a greater expectation that something like a Mobile Station is more robust over time.

From the photos, seems like a hardware failure or the flash memory storage on the MS has had a write error/ electrical glitch corrupting some data.

@Minok - indeed I use much more Google instead of the Maerklin search functions. They are really bad and often quite strange to me.
Offline Joe Meiring  
#37 Posted : 22 May 2018 20:49:53(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   
Thanx Wolfgang!! Indeed John vr and I are good friends. We see each other often, "playing trains"!
He has a cs2, not brand new but he's VERY happy with it. He refuses to do any updates as there's so much talk about potential problems with the new software... So I can't update my ms2 with his cs2.
The M dealer not far from where I live does not have the latest version on his ms2 that he uses for the shop display. The other club guys have ECos, and also older cs2's.....
The other links you gave are trade sites for selling MRR stuff. No new ms2's there, and sometimes there's an older cs2 and even a cs1 for sale.....
There are some M guys in Johannesburg, about 1600km from where I live. I do fly there occasionally when I visit family. So next time I go my ms2 will go with me!
Many thanks!
Joe
Offline dominator  
#38 Posted : 22 May 2018 23:04:47(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Thanks Wolfgang. I checked out my loco briefly again last night and yes, you turn the lights on pressing F0 and they go out after about 1-2 seconds. [ repeated 4-5 timers too ] Sad The loco is the BR41 from the 29815 set, which has had a [ as I have been told ] 6080 decoder fitted, with rheostats controlling acceleration and max speed,.. It has worked wellBigGrin , and still does apart from the light issue.Crying

When Lasse first did the upgrade on my MS2 which had V 1.81 on it, we noticed it had upgraded to V 2.5. Lasse had a fiddle around in his CS2 and then upgraded again and we got V 2.7.BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin Lasse could probably explain that better than me.

I will have another look at what is happening with the BR41, but will have to wait till next weekend.

Incidentally, my 37580 would not load up last night either on the other MS2. I deleted a loco from the list on position 4 then had another go. No load up. Bugger.Mad . I had loaded it up with little people last night too. I got it running on analogueBigGrin , then re-tried it on the MS2. still no load up. Bugger again.Sad

My aim is to load all my loco's into both MS2"s and then join the whole system together as one, and run one MS2 as a slave. Rome wasn't built in a day either. [ I am hoping to have the system so that whatever loco I put on the track will go without too much pissing around. Will that be possible? Will I be able to have my 3 mfx locos permanently set up on the MS2's or will i still have to muck around waiting for them to load up.Sad

All the best.

Dereck

This all reminds me of something i was told years ago when we got our first business computer. " In every new computer program there are 1000's of bugs. We dont know what they are though until they raise there ugly heads."

We are human and there is nothing perfect in life apart fro Our Wives.

Dereck
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline skeeterbuck  
#39 Posted : 25 May 2018 12:28:56(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I talked with my dealer yesterday and found out that my MS 2 had become corrupted. It appears to be in the either the language or function areas of the controller. They said that this is the first time that they had ever seen this happen.

I'm having a new one sent to me and my old one is going back to Märklin for reprogramming or replacement. To me this is the down side of digital train control. Much too complicated to be done at home. ThumbDown (at least by me) Sad

Chuck
Offline Minok  
#40 Posted : 25 May 2018 19:42:58(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Thats why one can still just run a analogue layout, or drive a carburetor driven automobile.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline RayF  
#41 Posted : 25 May 2018 19:46:29(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Yes, technology is so over-rated!

You should listen to yourselves! BigGrin
Ray
Offline Purellum  
#42 Posted : 25 May 2018 19:58:52(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Yes.

Please make a list of the home addresses of all Märklin-users, so we can start sending letters back and forth. LOL

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline RayF  
#43 Posted : 25 May 2018 23:55:18(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Yes.

Please make a list of the home addresses of all Märklin-users, so we can start sending letters back and forth. LOL

Per.

Cool

BigGrin
Ray
Offline TEEWolf  
#44 Posted : 26 May 2018 02:39:36(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Thats why one can still just run a analogue layout, or drive a carburetor driven automobile.

Gosh yes, can't tell you as I miss my wood carburettor, the double-clutch for the unsynchronized gear and obviously no power steering in the car. Not to forget the steam radio in the car.Flapper LOL LOL
Offline TEEWolf  
#45 Posted : 26 May 2018 03:14:34(UTC)
TEEWolf

I talked with my dealer yesterday and found out that my MS 2 had become corrupted. It appears to be in the either the language or function areas of the controller. They said that this is the first time that they had ever seen this happen.

I'm having a new one sent to me and my old one is going back to Märklin for reprogramming or replacement. To me this is the down side of digital train control. Much too complicated to be done at home. ThumbDown (at least by me) Sad

Chuck

Chuck sorry that it hits you. But you know: shit happens. As you wrote yourself, it appears even for your dealer first time. Indeed that the chip inside your MS 2 bits the dust is unusual. But I tell you, approximately once a year I have to restore my windows software on my C-omputer S-ystem (CS - Laugh Laugh ). Microsoft has a good marketing, but poor programming. Do not want to talk about the hardware designers of Intel & Co with their Meltdown and Spectre security flaw.Scared ThumbDown
Offline skeeterbuck  
#46 Posted : 26 May 2018 19:39:44(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Thanks TEEWolf !

It will be put right soon and I'll be back in business. The post office is indicating that my replacement MS 2 should arrive today. If it does, that will make it to my dealer and back in 6 days. Everything considered that a rather good outcome to me.

Chuck
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline skeeterbuck  
#47 Posted : 29 May 2018 23:05:48(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Quick update:

My new replacement MS2 arrived last Saturday and I was able to get several locos registered and up an running again. ThumpUp

I soon get the others entered and everything will be blissful in my Märklin wonderland. Wink

Chuck
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline TEEWolf  
#48 Posted : 30 May 2018 02:52:52(UTC)
TEEWolf

Quick update:

My new replacement MS2 arrived last Saturday and I was able to get several locos registered and up an running again. ThumpUp

I soon get the others entered and everything will be blissful in my Märklin wonderland. Wink

Chuck

Hello Chuck,

thanks for the follow up - seems to be "All's well that ends well"?

Happy traveling all around your layouts.Smile

Best regards

TEEWolf
Offline dominator  
#49 Posted : 06 June 2018 00:29:30(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
My problem has been sorted out now as per the other thread. Briefly, in order to get a loco to re-register on the MS2, we had to deleted all locos and start again as a bug in the system would not let the mfx loco log back on.

Dereck
Offline Goofy  
#50 Posted : 06 June 2018 08:04:29(UTC)
Goofy

My problem has been sorted out now as per the other thread. Briefly, in order to get a loco to re-register on the MS2, we had to deleted all locos and start again as a bug in the system would not let the mfx loco log back on.

Dereck

It´s an know-problem for the Märklin too.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy