Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ShannonN  
#1 Posted : 19 May 2018 01:17:52(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
http://www.borail.org/pepco.aspx

As a type, the "fireless" locomotive was indeed highly specialized, and few were manufactured.
The Heisler Works of Erie, Pa., produced by far the greatest number of examples of the fireless type, about 50.

Such a locomotive could only operate on trackage very near a large, stationary steam plant, to which the locomotive would return every few hours of operation for hookup to the stationary plant's boiler - in order to recharge the locomotive with superheated water - i.e. liquid water heated under high pressure and thus to temperatures well above 100 degrees C.

(Superheated water contained in the cylindrical "pressure vessel" that is the principal visible feature of the locomotive provided the short-term source of steam to run the pistons to propel the wheels.

By opening the throttle, the pressure within the vessel of superheated water was slightly reduced, and the slightly lowered pressure resulted in the generation of water vapor - saturated steam at the new pressure - to push the pistons.) There is no firebox to heat the water; hence the term, "fireless."

432.jpg43.jpg

Object: Fireless Steam Locomotive, standard gauge. Acc. No. 1979.1027, Cat. No. 79.1027.01

Donor: Potomac Electric Power Co. (PEPCO), 1979.

Purchased new by Potomac Electric in 1938.

Description: 4-wheel, 35-ton locomotive, manufactured in 1938 by the Heisler Locomotive Works, Erie, Pa., Heisler construction no. 43.

Dimensions: 21 ft 4 in long, 11 ft 4 in high, 9 ft 6 in wide.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ShannonN
Offline rrf  
#2 Posted : 19 May 2018 13:28:58(UTC)
rrf

United States   
I first saw that locomotive in April when the family visited the B&O Museum in Baltimore, MD. Prior to that, I had never known such a thing a "Fireless" steam engine even existed! I feel sorry for the locomotive as it was once owned by PEPCO, the evil power company that services my house Wink
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn