Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dominator  
#1 Posted : 06 May 2018 23:45:47(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Back in February, I happened to see John Agnew At the Birkenhead RSA and asked him if I could come around that night to see his layout. Later several of us oldies from the early years of Grade 1 Pipe bands in NZ paid a visit to John. John himself is a retired member of the Innes Tartan [ Auckland and Districts pipe band ] I kidded john that I had invited the whole band up to see his trains, but just Eddie, Graham and myself were there.
Johns layout is all made by himself, including all the engines and rolling stock. Love Love Love The electric engines are exact replica's of the ones specially made for pulling trains through the Otiria tunnel. it was considered too risky to allow steam engines to do the work for obvious reasons and the Railways had to produce their own electricity to power those '"Giant"s as the were in thoese early days. The ship in the foreground of the Greymouth shot was actually made by one of its last skippers.

John Agnew's layout 1 Otira.jpg Otiria

John Agnew, Otiria Tunnel West Coast end.jpg Otiria Tunnel entrance West Coast end

John_agnew_Otiria 1.jpg Otiria rail-yards, showing the Electric loco's in the middle.

John_agnew_6_Greymouth.jpg Greymouth Dockside [ looking towards the entry into the room ]

Johns display is in the shape of a Z

You walk down into the room to see on the right, the Greymouth dockyards and township which is the bottom of the Z.
You pass along the front and around behind to see the hillside etc leading up to the Otiria tunnel. This is the middle section of the Z.
Behind you then is the Otira section [ at the top of the Z.]

John has placed mirrors in order to be able to see the whole layout form the middle section. The set up is digital with ESU Locksound decoders in all locos, and hand held controller. He said he speant about an hour, synchronizing the sounds to the wheel on the steam loco's.

Maybe next time I am in Auckland, I will ask if I can see the set up again and take better pictures.
John doesn't play with this set, in fact he said he hadn't had it running for about three months. I suggested it must be a bit of a bugger keeping the rails clean. He just grinned.BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

These photos were taken with my old Blackberry phone. Flapper
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 15 users liked this useful post by dominator