Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skeeterbuck  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2018 19:26:00(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I'm in the process of adding a Märklin sound decoder to my older 3032 (BR 81) and ran into a problem that I like to share. I have added ball bearings to the motor before and had tested it with a normal DC power pack just to be sure that the motor was operating correctly. After installing the decoder I went to do a test run and all the functions would work but the engine would not move in either direction. Confused I then re-checked the motor and it ran fine. Confused Cursing
I then thought to check the motor by connecting the leads to the chokes instead of directly to the brush brackets and the motor wouldn't run. So I checked each choke individually and found that one was indeed not allowing any current to pass through. I replaced the defective choke and the engine is running fine now.

Something to consider if anyone here runs into a similar problem.

Chuck
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 02 May 2018 23:18:19(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I usually forget to install the brushes after I upgrade a motor. Everything thing works, but it won't go anywhere.. Must be an age thing.. RollEyes AND if I do remember to put in the brushes the loco usually goes backwards with the front lights on.. Scared Swap the wires and we are all good.. Razz I enjoy doing conversions, but there are days - you know... Blushing

Anyways - some more things to think about..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 03 May 2018 03:41:32(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
....if I do remember to put in the brushes the loco usually goes backwards with the front lights on.. Scared

Probably something to do with living Down Under....
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 03 May 2018 04:27:56(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
That and those weird instructions that state place a particular colour wire on the left motor terminal.. Some motor covers are upside down and so I use the right-hand terminal - and it is STILL wrong.. Blink That's before we get into things like can motors.. I seem to have a 50% chance of getting it right about 10% of the time.. Crying
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 03 May 2018 05:10:31(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Yes it is annoying when a choke is faulty, lucky you've found the problem in no time with me it took a bit longer before realizing it and as Adrian mentioned age has something to do with it, not the age of the loco but the mechanic who is working on it. some of the steam locos it takes a while to undo all the screws to take off the boiler and yes its the brushes I've forgot to insert or it also happened the slider.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline PJMärklin  
#6 Posted : 03 May 2018 11:47:15(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
I usually forget to install the brushes after I upgrade a motor.

I can now admit that I do that also !!BigGrin

As Nev would say, another senior moment !

Regards,

PhilipLaugh
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline skeeterbuck  
#7 Posted : 03 May 2018 12:30:40(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
When I initially had this problem, the first thing I thought that I had forgot to install the brushes but then since I had also upgraded the motor to ball bearings and had tested it out, I knew that wasn't the problem. But yea, forgetting to install the brushes is a classic faux pa.

As to which color wire, the blue or the green wire to install on the brush bracket of the DCM, I've found that the green wire should almost always be soldered to the brush bracket closest to the front of the engine. I remember this by thinking blue to the back as both words in English begin with "b".

Chuck
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline Gregor  
#8 Posted : 03 May 2018 13:26:35(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   

I feel so much better now...

Performed 24 conversions and in probably half of the cases I forgot the brushes.

I was between 35 and 40 in those days... So not an age thing but plain stupidity....Blushing

Gregor
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline dickinsonj  
#9 Posted : 05 May 2018 01:46:47(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Gregor Go to Quoted Post

I feel so much better now...

Performed 24 conversions and in probably half of the cases I forgot the brushes.

I was between 35 and 40 in those days... So not an age thing but plain stupidity....Blushing

Gregor

I don't think it is stupidity as much as good old fashioned wool gathering. It is hard to stay focused on a repetitive task and IMO anyone who says they have never left out the brushes is lying. I seem to have about a 50% success rate on brush replacement, which really is pretty lame when you think of it. BigGrin

Oh well, I get there in the end.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Henrik Schütz  
#10 Posted : 05 May 2018 15:46:32(UTC)
Henrik Schütz

Sweden   
It seems to me that some locos have blue om the back, some green.

Can it depend on the numbers of gears?

Henrik Schütz
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Henrik Schütz
Offline Joe Meiring  
#11 Posted : 05 May 2018 20:22:33(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Yes it is annoying when a choke is faulty, lucky you've found the problem in no time with me it took a bit longer before realizing it and as Adrian mentioned age has something to do with it, not the age of the loco but the mechanic who is working on it. some of the steam locos it takes a while to undo all the screws to take off the boiler and yes its the brushes I've forgot to insert or it also happened the slider.

John

Excuse my ignorance...... Just what is a choke????.....Blushing
Joe M
Cape Town
Medium digital C track layout with MS2: When I grow up I want to be a steam engine driver....
Offline dickinsonj  
#12 Posted : 05 May 2018 20:49:30(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
Excuse my ignorance...... Just what is a choke????.....Blushing
Joe M
Cape Town

A choke is an inductor used to block higher-frequency alternating current (AC) in an electrical circuit, while passing lower-frequency or direct current (DC). These are added to older motors which were AC in analog operation, but need to be DC to work with modern decoders.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Webmaster  
#13 Posted : 05 May 2018 22:03:05(UTC)
Webmaster

These chokes/inductors (sometimes mistaken as resistors since they look similar) are there to suppress higher frequencies to & from the Märklin motors which might cause "radio disturbances" from the motor but also to protect the decoder from sudden voltage spikes from the motor. This is not so needed with high-revving Maxxon DC motors used nowadays in many newer models, but the Märklin FCM/DCM motors (rotating 3-pole, 5-pole) need it.

These chokes/inductors are mounted to the motor feed leads, see this picture by member intruder (RIP) for a clear view of it.

Inductors.jpg
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Webmaster