Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 06 April 2018 08:44:09(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi, A friend of mine sent me a Turmwagen for me to have alook at it, he bought it new but never worked, I had a quick look inside but decided not to do any work on it and it was decided to send it to Märklin repair service, I was told right from the beginning there isn't much hope of repairing it, I've sent them an email couple of days ago and received a reply, there was nothing there from me. another email was sent and I was told the Turmwagen is on its way to me, another email was sent and I asked was there any repair done on it. I got a reply today and as predicted they couldn't fix the Turmwagen, a.) the new Turmwagen is different to the old one and there are no spare parts available for decoders or the circuit board.
I find it disgusting to have such a model produced and than more or less abandoning any responsibilities regarding spare parts.

has any member any suggestions ? if there are no recommendations I will take the railcar apart and see if I can either change the decoder or do something with the circuit board.

Lou (Hong Kong) is not very happy and I don't blame him

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 06 April 2018 12:34:24(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, A friend of mine sent me a Turmwagen for me to have alook at it, he bought it new but never worked, I had a quick look inside but decided not to do any work on it and it was decided to send it to Märklin repair service, I was told right from the beginning there isn't much hope of repairing it, I've sent them an email couple of days ago and received a reply, there was nothing there from me. another email was sent and I was told the Turmwagen is on its way to me, another email was sent and I asked was there any repair done on it. I got a reply today and as predicted they couldn't fix the Turmwagen, a.) the new Turmwagen is different to the old one and there are no spare parts available for decoders or the circuit board.
I find it disgusting to have such a model produced and than more or less abandoning any responsibilities regarding spare parts.

has any member any suggestions ? if there are no recommendations I will take the railcar apart and see if I can either change the decoder or do something with the circuit board.

regards.,

John

What is the item code for it John?
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 06 April 2018 13:01:14(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

regards.,

John

Good question, 39970

Offline Dave Banks  
#4 Posted : 07 April 2018 02:16:47(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
D.A.Banks
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 07 April 2018 02:38:18(UTC)
river6109

Australia   

Dave, thanks for the link,

I think this is the problem with this rail car, when I've checked Lou's Turmwagen, the lights worked front and rear and later I tried them again the front light stopped working, the sound is there for the different tools in operation but the gantry doesn't move sideways or up and down and the motor doesn't work.
So buying another faulty rail car wouldn't be the best investment as there are no spare parts for it and the owner of this rail car knows that that's why its sold as defect., whether or not people are aware of this and they think this is a piece of cake to fix it they may find its impossible. until I get the unit back and take it apart and see what can be changed regarding decoder, my main concern is the 2 nano motors (what voltage they run under). + its a sine motor as well, so I'll have my work cut out to fix this one and the question remains will I be able to do it.

John

Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 07 April 2018 03:02:30(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

regards.,

John

Good question, 39970

I had my one repaired a couple of years ago because the nylon for lowering the Pantograph had snapped. My local dealer Dion tried valiantly to repair it without success and was also told no parts available. So he sent it off to Märklin and they did repair it although it took a while.

I guess I was lucky that mine was not a Decoder issue because like you, I would be peeved that an item such as this which is very unique could be rendered obsolete so quickly.

I am not sure about the schematic layout of the model, in other words are all the functions and features on a single decoder or are the platform and pantograph features controlled by a secondary decoder?

Is it too much to think that if Märklin commit to producing something like this then once their initial stock of replacement decoders is exhausted they should be reworking the dead decoders wherever possible to maintain a stock? I why can't further new Decoders simply be produced on demand? Sure the older original IC may be obsolete but a newer version should be backward compatible.

I have to admit, it makes me very nervous about purchasing any item with advanced features because of the fear of future irreparable failure and ending up with a paper-weight.

For what it's worth, I love mine and would be gutted if it packed up.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline TEEWolf  
#7 Posted : 07 April 2018 03:05:32(UTC)
TEEWolf

regards.,

John

This car was sold last time in 2010. So it is over 8 years old. No guarantee any more and the Maerklin bankrupt in between. Indeed no good constellation for everything at all.

Do you know the exact failure of the car? If they do not have the old decoder still available, perhaps the electronic of the new TVT Powered Catenary Maintenance Rail Car art# 39974 may help or perhaps only another new decoder. It depends on the malfunction.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 07 April 2018 05:57:52(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi John

I assume your Turmwagen is a 39970 (with SoftDrive Sinus and Piezzo motors).
One of the tricks they do often is to change the adress of the "Turm" mine initailly with 71 has changed to 04.
If this is the case for you, you have to find what is the new address by many tries on your control unit.
Note: you cannot detect the Fx address because of the MFX decoder presence.

Before doing this search, make sure the main PCB is working fine:

To check the Turmtriebwagen board, open the unit (simply pull the metal casing), power on and observe.
There is a LED on the board near the pantograph that is on during initialisation (power on with digital signal), the pantograph motor should rotate in both direction for initialisation.

Make also sure that the piezzo motors are not worn out: the aluminum lever that vibrate against the Wheel.

I hope this will help.
Cheers

Jean
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 07 April 2018 13:50:30(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Jean, thanks for your help. apparently the Turmwagen was bought new and never worked right from the beginning. I did send it to Märklin and they've send it back without notifying me what was wrong with it. I had to asked them twice via email to get more information from them and the answer came back they couldn't fix it. hopefully they may have some paperwork attached to the returned Turmwagen what was wrong or what is wrong with it.
so there is nothing worn out it hasn't moved at all.

the other remark I've received the newer model spare parts are not exchangeable

any ideas what the voltage is for these piezzo motors ?

regards.,

John
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 07 April 2018 17:32:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Jean, thanks for your help. apparently the Turmwagen was bought new and never worked right from the beginning. I did send it to Märklin and they've send it back without notifying me what was wrong with it. I had to asked them twice via email to get more information from them and the answer came back they couldn't fix it. hopefully they may have some paperwork attached to the returned Turmwagen what was wrong or what is wrong with it.

regards.,

John

Piezo motors use special drive electronics that drive the piezo element with ultrasonic signals. They are not like ordinary motors.

Offline JohnjeanB  
#11 Posted : 07 April 2018 18:03:00(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi John

The piezzo motors are very special vibrating motors. There is no service as there are no moving parts.
Since the TurmTriebWagen (TTW) is like new but produced in 2007 and were a one time serie not under warranty and Marklin declines to repair it, as I said before I suggest the following:

ATTENTION: You need first to remove the screw on the axle of the moving platform to remove it. The screw is hidden under a brown plastic plate easily removable.

1- Open the TTW by gently pulling up the casing (No screws but you may have to position one end of the casing, higher than the other one to fully remove the casing by disengaging the main PCB which may bump into the housing / reproduction of control cabins.
2- Put the unit on a track and apply digital power (MFX enabled) and wait until it is registered. Meanwhile observe the led on the main PCB board near the pantograph: it must blink a little while.
3- Observe the pentograph motor turning one direction and then the other

If all this happens, it means that your TTW is OK but may have changed its address (on the Fx part that is driving the 3 piezzo motors)
If the TTW is not registering, make sure the decoder (located Under the main PCB) is fully plugged before trying again (you may have to do it with another unit as there is a bug in MFX device recognition (CS2 CS3 MS1, MS2,..)
Here is the exploded view of your unit
UserPostedImage

Note: I repaired mine which had an address change and also a worn-out Piezzo motor. Here is a video after repair

Bon courage

Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline JohnjeanB  
#12 Posted : 07 April 2018 19:40:38(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
here are 2 more pictures of the unit:
Opened with power on
[img]https://postimg.cc/image/eyhdxuf4l/]UserPostedImage

Side view of the TTW
[img]https://postimg.cc/image/516d4vup1/]UserPostedImage
Cheers

Jean

Edited by user 23 April 2018 13:24:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline river6109  
#13 Posted : 08 April 2018 05:09:07(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Jean, thanks for all your help, pictures and explanations, I have to wait until the unit comes back to me, When I first received the rail car from Lou ( Hong Kong) to look at it I didn't want to play around with it as it did not move nor the gantry so I've sent it off to Märklin but there was no guarantee they would be able to fix it, it was a long shot (Märklin repair service could not promise anything can be done with it).

so when it gets back I'll take the rail car apart and see if I can find anything or modify anything (decoder), again I have to wait and see if there is any correspondence with the rail car maybe explaining what is wrong with it as I did not receive any emails from them whether they've looked at it, didn't work and sent it back to me.
I've taken the housing off before but this is how far I went.

I like your layout ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

John
Offline Minok  
#14 Posted : 09 April 2018 21:21:30(UTC)
Minok

United States   
A good reminder to always test your new purchases when you get them to make sure they work and if not then immediately get them replaced/repaired as needed.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline river6109  
#15 Posted : 10 April 2018 00:36:34(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
A good reminder to always test your new purchases when you get them to make sure they work and if not then immediately get them replaced/repaired as needed.

We are sometimes to trustful and think the seller sells an item which is fully functional. I don't know the circumstances how this item was purchased and under what assurances if any but your advice would definitely avoid any disappointments when you get home and your rail car doesn't work.

John

Offline cookee_nz  
#16 Posted : 10 April 2018 09:33:39(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

regards.,

John

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline JohnjeanB  
#17 Posted : 11 April 2018 14:01:27(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Jean, thanks for all your help, pictures and explanations, I have to wait until the unit comes back to me, When I first received the rail car from Lou ( Hong Kong) to look at it I didn't want to play around with it as it did not move nor the gantry so I've sent it off to Märklin but there was no guarantee they would be able to fix it, it was a long shot (Märklin repair service could not promise anything can be done with it).

so when it gets back I'll take the rail car apart and see if I can find anything or modify anything (decoder), again I have to wait and see if there is any correspondence with the rail car maybe explaining what is wrong with it as I did not receive any emails from them whether they've looked at it, didn't work and sent it back to me.
I've taken the housing off before but this is how far I went.

I like your layout ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

John

Hi John

Piezzo motors used by Märklin are coming from Thorlabs Piezzo motors
They are called Elliptec motors.

Piezzo motors are delivered a special wave form so that they are not only vibrating in one direction but in 2 directions thus providing the direction and speed control. The voltage is made from the rectified digital current but you need a special electronic to drive it.

The TTW has 2 decoders and the main one (21 pins MFX decoder driving the main motor) locks the second one (Fx driving the gantry). Normally the purpose is to lock Gantry movements during TTW travel. This results in a possibility for the main decoder-if failing- to cause no operation on both decoders. If this is the case, the MFX decoder may be replaced with an existing MSD3. The unknown is which output is locking the fx decoder of the Gantry but I can search on my unit.

Cheers

Jean

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline river6109  
#18 Posted : 12 April 2018 09:04:59(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Jean, thanks again for your input, received the rail car today and the only thing Märklin service mentioned they don't have the decoder, well I've tested the 21 pin decoder directly with an ESU lok programmer and the diesel motor noise, horn and tool noises are working, so is the motor (normal DC motor) connecting the rail car to the Lopkprogrammer the motor is not and the same goes for the gantry and pantograph.
the reverse light is not so for some unknown reason this has failed.
I wonder whether the circuit board or what you would call the second decoder is faulty or the motor ?
Märklin told me that the newer version of this rail car is not compatible with this one but didn't give me any indication why ?
the information they supply is very much on the outer surface and nothing is explained why or what other options one could have. these rail cars are still available on ebay between Euro 265.00 and Euro 399.00.
there seem to be some electrical noise coming from the piezzo motors but as you've mentioned they need a special electronic drive.
how the reverse light got damaged is another mystery,
I'm trying to help Lou to get the railcar working again but I think I'm walking against a brick wall.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#19 Posted : 12 April 2018 17:58:18(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Jean, thanks again for your input, received the rail car today and the only thing Märklin service mentioned they don't have the decoder, well I've tested the 21 pin decoder directly with an ESU lok programmer and the diesel motor noise, horn and tool noises are working, so is the motor (normal DC motor) connecting the rail car to the Lopkprogrammer the motor is not and the same goes for the gantry and pantograph.
the reverse light is not so for some unknown reason this has failed.
I wonder whether the circuit board or what you would call the second decoder is faulty or the motor ?
Märklin told me that the newer version of this rail car is not compatible with this one but didn't give me any indication why ?
the information they supply is very much on the outer surface and nothing is explained why or what other options one could have. these rail cars are still available on ebay between Euro 265.00 and Euro 399.00.
there seem to be some electrical noise coming from the piezzo motors but as you've mentioned they need a special electronic drive.
how the reverse light got damaged is another mystery,
I'm trying to help Lou to get the railcar working again but I think I'm walking against a brick wall.

Hi John
I am not sure I understand: you still have the original 21 Pin decoder that seems to be working but with a normal motor? The motor is a SDS one so make sure the motor type is the good one (SoftDriveSinus, motortyp=1 ).

Regarding the rear light I suggest you check / correct the programming using a CS2 or CS3. It may happen that the decoder "forgot" the programming (it happened to me a few times on various Märklin locos) and so reprogramming is in order. Another possibility is a broken wire between the main PCB and the lower part of the TTW See the picture below on the center left. They are for lights and current pick-up

Regarding the locking mechanism between the main decoder (MFX) and the gantry decoder (Fx) I checked there are no output involved (Ausgang 1 bis 4) but most probably a frequency detected on one of the 3 motor outputs will block the Gantry decoder. So to check if this one is working you must open the TTW and observe the small LED near the pantograph motor (not to be confused with one of the front light LEDs). I should be on for a brief moment and the pantograph motor should rotate back and forth one time when digital power is applied. This is a must to verify it is worth your time to look for the new address (it happened not only to me but to others as well on this TTW 39970).

If the Piezzo motors are vibrating, then make sure the mechanism is not sized. Each motor is attached by only one screw but I think you need an Allen screwdriver to do it (the same as to open a CS2). Here is a picture of my unit before repair with Piezzo motors still attached to the main PCB and the gantry mechanism underneath. I took me a while the understand how to re-assemble the unit and make the pantograph work again (tangled nylon wire)

UserPostedImage

Regarding Märklin they don't have anymore MSD 2 but now MSD 3 and don't want to requalify the new programming of an MSD 3 for the old TTW, as I assume. So they don't sell it anymore. The new TTW is totally different: no more SDS motor and the 3 Piezzo motors are replaced with Servo-motors so the electronics is totally different and won't help you.

So good luck and please keep us updated with your progress.
Cheers

Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline river6109  
#20 Posted : 12 April 2018 20:27:48(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Jean, i don't have a CS 2 or CS 3, I've checked it with my ESU lokprogrammer, what I'm saying is when I take the 21 pin sound decoder out of the loco and place it into the lokprogrammer testing module the motor runs as a DC motor, so the driver for the Softdrive motor must be in the circuit board.

John
Offline kiwiAlan  
#21 Posted : 12 April 2018 23:56:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

If the Piezzo motors are vibrating, then make sure the mechanism is not sized. Each motor is attached by only one screw but I think you need an Allen screwdriver to do it (the same as to open a CS2).

The CS2 I have uses Torx screws to hold the case on, with an additional two screws holding down the PCB once you get it open. They are not Allen screws. Torx screws are also sometimes called star screws because of the shape of the hole on the screw head whereas Allen screws have a hexagonal hole. You may be able to get an allen key to work in a Torx screw, but they generally don't because allen keys always have six sides, but Torx screws have an odd number of points. The CS2 uses T9, although I found I could also use a T8 bit in them.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline JohnjeanB  
#22 Posted : 15 April 2018 12:15:53(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

Sorry, I meants to say Torx screws and not Allen screws. Never use Allen keys on those because you risk damaging the screw.

Cheers

Jean
Offline skeeterbuck  
#23 Posted : 16 April 2018 13:03:42(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
"Playing" with our trains was so much easier when everything was analog. Unfortunately, I think the digital age is also the "throw it out and get a new one age" which for our beloved trains doesn't equate very well.
I didn't grow up with Märklin Trains as some members here, but one of the reasons that attracted me to Märklin was the philosophy that it was designed to last and if it ever needed repair, spare parts would be available. Reading this and other similar threads reminds that this is no longer the case with Märklin. Sad

Good luck John! I hope that you can get it sorted out for you friend.

Chuck
Offline Minok  
#24 Posted : 23 April 2018 16:39:44(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Chuck that philosophical change has been applied to every product class in the world from automobiles to telephones.

I do like the additional features modern equipments provides vs the bomb proof old school gear.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134