Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline gwolski  
#1 Posted : 18 April 2018 19:43:03(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
I have to say that I continue to be impressed with the quality of kit offerings by Busch, Noch, and others.

BOX view

This tiny gem is made from laser cut wooden pieces and almost falls together with a toothpick and some white glue. Busch provides a large, well-illustrated instruction sheet with the kit which walks you through assembly and finishing (the instructions are also available online). Although the box shows a tractor next to the barn, no tractor is included. However, my kit included a hay cutter (see below) and a partial auto wreck in the detail parts.

PARTIALLY ASSEMBLED BARN AND SIDING - the siding is super thin and looks amazing! Better than the board by board I did for a couple of Fine Scale Miniature kits.

ACCESSORIES & DETAILS

The detail is amazing on the hay cutter included in the kit

I should complete the kit in the next day or two - I plan to use it as part of a rural trackside scene along with a cornfield, vegetable stand, and some folks on bicycles. Do make sure to check out the link included in the instructions on weathering/aging. The site is in German but Google Translate does a passable translation.

In addition to the white glue and toothpick I mentioned above, you'll want a sharp hobby knife, good tweezers, some magnification, and any aging/weathering products you wish to use (paints/washes/filters/pastels/etc).

I'm really happy with this kit, and I'm looking at other Busch offerings to add some front of layout details to my central European modules.

Cheers!
Gene Wolski
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by gwolski
Offline skeeterbuck  
#2 Posted : 19 April 2018 12:44:27(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Nice review Gene! I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.

I'm currently working on this stellwerk from Noch and it has been a challenge to get this one together. You start by building a basic rectangular cube for the building and then add the brick as overlays, The problem I ran into was that the overlays are about 1mm too long and on top of that have 90 degree bevels on each edge so that when the corner joints butt together there is no gap in the brickwork. Shortening the to fit correctly requires you to remove approximately 0.5mm from each edge while maintaining the bevel, Needles to say that was very tedious to do all eight edges and maintain the 90 degree bevel. Cursing

For a kit that costs about $50 I didn't expect issues like this. ThumbDown

Chuck

https://www.noch.de/de/stellwerk-tannau.html
Offline gwolski  
#3 Posted : 19 April 2018 13:00:06(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
For the price I expect the same - excellent fit. They're cutting by laser so there's no excuse for poor fit problems. I'm just starting to assemble two kits from asporjekt.sklep.pl (purchased on ebay) which are similar construction - laser cut cardboard and white glue. I'll post reviews and comment on fit if needed.

The fit so far on the barn has been spot on - as long as i'm precise about my assembly :). The framing is actually squared up to the base despite looking bent (which would cause another dimension of challenge), and the side and end panels butt right up to each other (no overlap and that's perfect). You can't skip trimming the tiny retention nubs (sanding works too), or they will cause you some alignment issues. I love using white glue - it dries faster than expected if used thinly and does give you some working time to adjust. More importantly, it's pretty much invisible when it dries.

Cheers!
Gene Wolski
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by gwolski
Offline skeeterbuck  
#4 Posted : 19 April 2018 14:06:15(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I very meticulous about trimming and smoothing the connection nibs. I strive to make everything square and proper looking. I also agree that with using lasers that there is no excuse for poor fitting parts. I'm almost finished with just having to add the gutters and downspouts. Since completing the kit and with that hindsite, I've closely examined the photo of the completed kit on the cover of the box and can now see that whoever built that kit also struggled to get a good fit. I'm rather sure that if this problem could be corrected with adjusting the program that controls the laser cutter.
Offline gwolski  
#5 Posted : 19 April 2018 17:47:54(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
I'm rather sure that if this problem could be corrected with adjusting the program that controls the laser cutter.

Absolutely! That's what I expect for the $50. Pics coming soon!

Gene
Gene Wolski
Offline gwolski  
#6 Posted : 20 April 2018 00:51:51(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
Framed barn being inspected by one of the random HO figures inhabiting my desk:

Barn with all 4 walls installed (at least what's left of the siding). Take your time with this step to ensure the siding is square to the appropriate surface - usually the base and the end walls. It is dilapidated after all, so small mistakes can be "features" of the decay process. :)

Next up, rubbling the interior and installing the roof framing and tile sections.

Gene Wolski
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by gwolski