Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 17 April 2018 18:05:45(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on building some display cases this coming summer, as I'm (finally) catching up on a long list of train related repairs, digitizations and projects I've had adding up for a few years since moving to New York. Depending on part arrivals and a few building kits, I think the latter half of summer should leave me free and clear to build some cases.

Anyhow- my question to all of you: does anyone have plans or templates for building your own cases? While I'm a decent constructor, I'm admittedly no architect! I'm looking to do something simple yet effective. Ideas? There is a modular system in Germany I love and would even consider buying, but no way that is shipping to the US. I'd love to mirror this and build it myself though:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/...4051?hash=item2f106fef03

Ideas? Any tips are appreciated!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline waltklatt  
#2 Posted : 17 April 2018 19:11:11(UTC)
waltklatt

United States   
If you're good with a table saw and with a good nailing gun, you could assemble one.
Key is to keep everything consistent and even. measure twice and cut once.
Can use a 1/4" plywood board with a felt layer(for protecting paint on locos), a few long straight tracks fastened to the bases, and good strong glue with nailing tools.
Need to determine how big you want it, depends on your consists (loco with cars) and the rows you want.
I've found mine after a year of looking, finally found one at an Estate Sale.
But it's construction is simple-I was too lazy to make one.
But looking at mine, it's exactly how i described above.
Now I have the case, and now I can decide which consists I want to keep and get rid of.

Good luck.

Walter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by waltklatt
Offline mmervine  
#3 Posted : 18 April 2018 02:29:47(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
John:

I have purchased several of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm...sid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

r/mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mmervine
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 18 April 2018 14:35:22(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: mmervine Go to Quoted Post
John:

r/mark

Not a bad price! Problem is I need custom sizing for a specific (and not quite rectangular) wall :/

I may get a little one of these for another space though!

Do they look ok in person? I can't tell if the finish is super cheesy or not (personally I don't care, but the FD will!)
SBB Era 2-5
Online Ian555  
#5 Posted : 18 April 2018 16:57:35(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on building some display cases this coming summer, as I'm (finally) catching up on a long list of train related repairs, digitizations and projects I've had adding up for a few years since moving to New York. Depending on part arrivals and a few building kits, I think the latter half of summer should leave me free and clear to build some cases.

Anyhow- my question to all of you: does anyone have plans or templates for building your own cases? While I'm a decent constructor, I'm admittedly no architect! I'm looking to do something simple yet effective. Ideas? There is a modular system in Germany I love and would even consider buying, but no way that is shipping to the US. I'd love to mirror this and build it myself though:

Hi John,

Those are the display cabinets I use. I could help with basic sizes and photo's of there constuction, if you want to build your own.

Ian.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#6 Posted : 18 April 2018 19:11:54(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Ian555 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

Hi John,

Those are the display cabinets I use. I could help with basic sizes and photo's of there constuction, if you want to build your own.

Ian.

Thanks Ian! (and ironic, as I've admired your cabinets on the forum many times!) That could prove a massive help- I'll send you an email. Thanks in advance!
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline Nielsenr  
#7 Posted : 18 April 2018 19:30:49(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
I have acquired the materials to build two small display cases for my collection of glass cars but haven't gotten around to building them yet. I plan to add some LED strip lighting to really let the cars stand out. I have put a lot of thought into how I will construct them. Now I just have to get off my rear end and build them.

Good Luck!!

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#8 Posted : 18 April 2018 20:41:56(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Nielsenr Go to Quoted Post
I have acquired the materials to build two small display cases for my collection of glass cars but haven't gotten around to building them yet. I plan to add some LED strip lighting to really let the cars stand out. I have put a lot of thought into how I will construct them. Now I just have to get off my rear end and build them.

Good Luck!!

Robert

Ideas are welcome! Thanks for the support
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Webmaster  
#9 Posted : 18 April 2018 22:03:33(UTC)
Webmaster

Originally Posted by: mmervine Go to Quoted Post
John:

r/mark

That's a construction I think I will adapt if building my own... Front is a frame with hinges at the top & locks at the bottom...
Many cabinets/vitrines have sliding front glass-/plexiglass sheets, but I think this construction with hinges/locks is great for dust protection...

Would maybe even prefer "piano hinges" at the top for the front piece... Smile

Of course, it also depends upon how large you wish your display cabinet to be...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]