Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 07 April 2018 15:33:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
this train goes from Sydney (NSW) to Perth (Western Australia) and takes 3 days

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline foumaro  
#2 Posted : 07 April 2018 19:00:32(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
very impressive train,i count about 30 wagons with only one locomotive ahead.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 07 April 2018 20:43:21(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Done that trip, from Perth to Sydney. It is the only way you get to cross the Nullabour Plain, the road skirts around the southern side of it.

Offline Tom Jessop  
#4 Posted : 07 April 2018 23:56:19(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

When rostered I used to be part the engine crew on the IP between Sydney & Parkes , We used to have Electric loco's Sydney to Lithgow then change to Diesel's for the rest of the trip ,now its Diesel's all the way . No car carrier these days out of Sydney but there could be from Adelaide west to Perth . Over 10 years since I worked in that depot & things have changed . When the native flowers are in season [August to late September ] the train is usually built up to a double consist with 2 power cars supplying electricity to A/C & kitchens etc . When a double consist the train had to be split onto 2 platforms for passenger loading which made for some interesting shunting taking up most of the yard neck before departure . A few times when on other trains we had to wait for the IP when on single track & occasionally would see the chefs with a large paper bag hanging out the kitchen door ready to drop off some goodies for our dinner , all nice & fresh instead of the day old sandwiches etc which you would have carried from home a day before for the return trip .

Cheers Tom in Oz .
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline Legless  
#5 Posted : 08 April 2018 04:15:04(UTC)
Legless

Australia   
Still one on the bucket list
Legless
Era's 1 to 111,C track,k track
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Legless
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 08 April 2018 07:08:13(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post

When rostered I used to be part the engine crew on the IP between Sydney & Parkes , We used to have Electric loco's Sydney to Lithgow then change to Diesel's for the rest of the trip ,now its Diesel's all the way . No car carrier these days out of Sydney but there could be from Adelaide west to Perth . Over 10 years since I worked in that depot & things have changed . When the native flowers are in season [August to late September ] the train is usually built up to a double consist with 2 power cars supplying electricity to A/C & kitchens etc . When a double consist the train had to be split onto 2 platforms for passenger loading which made for some interesting shunting taking up most of the yard neck before departure . A few times when on other trains we had to wait for the IP when on single track & occasionally would see the chefs with a large paper bag hanging out the kitchen door ready to drop off some goodies for our dinner , all nice & fresh instead of the day old sandwiches etc which you would have carried from home a day before for the return trip .

Cheers Tom in Oz .

Tom have you ever heard of a place called Kaleentha Loop ?

here is a paymaster carriage around the 1960's or is it an early Märklin bent carriage ?

Image (10).jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Tom Jessop  
#7 Posted : 08 April 2018 22:41:56(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Kaleentha Loop ? Ahhh yes out near Menindee NSW. When our kids were much younger my sister was a teacher at Broken Hill ,we took the mail train from Penrith thru to Parkes where it terminated ,had breakfast in the refreshment rooms then on to the Comet which was NSW railways first A/C train to arrive at the hill at sunset .We returned the same way SHMBO was working so it was just me & the little ones . This wagon is a old Guards van looking at the protruding windows on the right hand of the wagon , is that a flue pipe poking out the top left roof & there looks to be a power cable running across the dirt from the car . Very interesting photo John . maybe "M" liked the bent look & copied this original .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 09 April 2018 02:15:49(UTC)
river6109

Australia   

Kaleentha Loop ? Ahhh yes out near Menindee NSW. When our kids were much younger my sister was a teacher at Broken Hill ,we took the mail train from Penrith thru to Parkes where it terminated ,had breakfast in the refreshment rooms then on to the Comet which was NSW railways first A/C train to arrive at the hill at sunset .We returned the same way SHMBO was working so it was just me & the little ones . This wagon is a old Guards van looking at the protruding windows on the right hand of the wagon , is that a flue pipe poking out the top left roof & there looks to be a power cable running across the dirt from the car . Very interesting photo John . maybe "M" liked the bent look & copied this original .

Tom, have to disappoint you, its not a cable but the picture had been at one stage been folded.BigGrin and an old FJ Holden, it was the Ganger's car.
We used to go in this car for a drink into Menindee and came back late at night, finished up with a flat tyre and tried to walk back to the camp, half an hour later, some one spotted another car before we've realized we were walking in a circle but I remember there were enough experts in the party who said what to do, how to take the right directions in the dark; we've finished up camping there, lit a fire and drank all the grog we've bought with us.

John
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline katz1002  
#9 Posted : 09 April 2018 04:39:33(UTC)
katz1002

Australia   

Tom,

Penrith and the old Mail train to the west!! Drool

That triggered a lot of great memories from when I was a lad and the Uncle worked as the yardmaster into the Penrith neck.

I remember as a wee lad standing with him, watching them shunting down under the coal loader and onward to the turntable. A couple of the steamers were still used so very fond memories indeed.

Got me hooked on trains and the rest is history!!! BigGrin

Thanks for triggering those wonderful memories.

Greg

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by katz1002