Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline applor  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2018 11:50:23(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Hi guys,

So I am curious to hear other members thoughts on this.

I assembled the majority of my 15 stall Faller roundhouse 2-3 years ago and I am now looking at finishing it and then painting/weathering.
Unfortunately it is now covered in a noticble amount of dust and since the roof was not attached, its all through the interior trusses etc.

I am considering what the best/easiest way would be to remove the dust.
I feel using a brush will just be blowing the dust around and also won't remove it like a rag will - but using a rag will leave missed spots in corners and be a pain in the ass to do for such a model.

I am leaning towards carefully taking it outside and using a wide mist spray on my hose and just hosing all the dust off and letting it air dry (won't take long in this weather!)

Edited by moderator 11 February 2018 06:24:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Roland  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2018 12:54:29(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
How about taking it outside and using a compressed air can? Might do a better job than water and save having to clean up water spots later.
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2018 13:16:01(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I would use a brush to get into the corners leaving the dust on the floor. Small vacuum can them suck that away.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline skeeterbuck  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2018 14:37:55(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
From my experience, if you want to get ALL of the dust off you need to wash it away. I would find a plastic container like a storage bin that the building will fit and fill it partially with water and some mild dishwashing detergent. Pour this over the building and use a small house painting paint brush to gently scrub all the crevasses. Then rinse the building with clear water and finally blow dry it with compressed air. I have an airbrush and use that because it's a lower pressure that can compressed air which sometimes can break off small delicate pieces. Hope this helps and good luck!

Chuck
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 10 February 2018 19:24:12(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Has anybody tried using one of those little USB powered vacuum cleaners that they make for cleaning keyboards and usb cameras?
I used to have one and it was pretty good at removing dust from around the pantographs on my older Maerklin models.
I have not used it on the newer ones with detachable small parts.

Regards

Mike C
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 11 February 2018 04:17:16(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
if it is only all still plastic (no posters on the walls etc.), dip it in a water bath and use a paintbrush to brush the dust off. I would not use a jet of water from a hose.

on the other hand, I find the dust on my roundhouses (after 11 years) just adds to its weathered look...
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Tex  
#7 Posted : 11 February 2018 04:55:34(UTC)
Tex

United States   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys,

So I am curious to hear other members thoughts on this.

I assembled the majority of my 15 stall Faller roundhouse 2-3 years ago and I am now looking at finishing it and then painting/weathering.
Unfortunately it is now covered in a noticble amount of dust and since the roof was not attached, its all through the interior trusses etc.

I am considering what the best/easiest way would be to remove the dust.
I feel using a brush will just be blowing the dust around and also won't remove it like a rag will - but using a rag will leave missed spots in corners and be a pain in the ass to do for such a model.

I am leaning towards carefully taking it outside and using a wide mist spray on my hose and just hosing all the dust off and letting it air dry (won't take long in this weather!)

you wanted weathering and you got it! I have a two stall roundhouse that I do not remember ever cleaning and it looks fine to me . When things get dirty , which is usually after times of repair ,I use a hand held vacuum or a dry brush. The picture also shows a newly installed " my world " distance signal and a backdrop , both of which are recently installed.BigGrin

Tex

Offline PhillipL  
#8 Posted : 12 February 2018 19:39:08(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
This may sound dumb, but I have had success using damp q-tips.
Offline PMPeter  
#9 Posted : 12 February 2018 20:22:56(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I generally use the same procedure that I would prior to painting something with an air brush. I vacuum whatever I can with a handheld Dyson. I then blow everything towards one direction with my air brush since it gives me good airflow control, and then vacuum the area I blew everything towards. That usually gives me a very clean structure to paint or weather.

Obviously if you have stains or grease spots these would need to be cleaned separately, and for that I too use Q-tips.
Offline applor  
#10 Posted : 04 April 2018 08:40:09(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I ended up dry brushing the outer walls and then warm soapy water brushed through all the interior and then hosed off the suds.
It then spent ~20 hours in front of a fan to ensure it dried completely to prevent mould.
It worked well for a kit of this magnitude.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 04 April 2018 13:52:43(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Vacuum cleaners been around for along long time and it sucks up all the dust in the world without leaving any trace.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode