Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline amphigory  
#1 Posted : 02 April 2018 19:49:30(UTC)
amphigory

I was lucky enough to find the Hogwarts Express set on eBay at a reasonable price. Got it in, and everything runs once I took it to the "local" (60 miles) Marklin dealer and they added weight to the tender which solved the running issues. But, after I've run for less than an hour, the loco has started making a high pitched noise somewhere between a squeak and a grind.

I don't think the dealer oiled it while they were inside it, so I'm thinking that maybe a drop of oil would be the best bet and check for anything that might have gotten in the gears? I should mention that my layout is very much under construction, so it's certainly possible that something got picked up.

Other ideas?
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2018 20:49:09(UTC)
Webmaster

Sounds like a drop of oil would make wonders... However, the check for grit is a great thought too... Do them both. Smile

Grinding noises are usually induced by mechanical issues as the ones you have already thought about.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]