Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 22 March 2018 22:51:16(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Good afternoon fellow Marklin modellers,

I went to the big city model train store today, first time in seven years. This is one of the largest model train stores in Toronto, Credit Valley Railway Company. Man, yes man did I ever get sticker shock! You need a Brinks truck fulll of money to buy anything in this store. Worst thing is that there is no price sticker on any items, you need to scan them yourself to get a price!

Prices are TOO Scared for me, long live Westend Trains!!!!!!!!!

Okay I’m breathing fine now because I Wub Westend Trains!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline jcrtrains  
#2 Posted : 23 March 2018 01:42:00(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
What exactly we’re looking at? I go there for scenery odds and ends and it isn’t too bad.
Offline michelvr  
#3 Posted : 23 March 2018 14:27:25(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post
What exactly we’re looking at? I go there for scenery odds and ends and it isn’t too bad.

I'm thinking of buying some 2 rail track to make a shuttle line. The store had a variety of manufacturers but the one I was looking for they did not have. I'm looking for the new Peco code 75 BULLHEAD track. I've read that the new Peco Bullhead track looks great and that the closer rail is solid rail not hinged.

Here"s picture from Peco.

https://goo.gl/images/8scCFZ
Offline AM1  
#4 Posted : 23 March 2018 20:08:06(UTC)
AM1

Canada   
Hi, CVRCO is as far as I know the biggest train shop in the GTA. While this hobby is not cheap in general, I agree that the prices at CVRCO are high, you can for example get cheaper stuff from Otter Valley in Aylmer (www.ovrtrains.com) with decent shipping prices if you are in Canada to boot. The CVRCO website is also pretty brutal and poorly set up for e-commerce.

But CRVCO has a lot of stuff nobody else does, especially little bits and bobs and also an amazing selection of kits, locos and cars. They have most scales there as well. For North American DC modeling in any scale, I think it's the best store around these parts. I buy from them even if I can get it cheaper online because I believe in supporting local businesses, which are getting torched by online competition, cash hungry municipal governments squeezing them for property taxes and crazy rent pressures arising from the current commercial real estate frenzy in this region. They recently scaled back their hours and are now closed Wednesdays so maybe they are not doing that well, I hope they can stick around as we'd be worse off without them in my opinion.

There's a pretty good RC hobby shop down the road from them where I recently picked up a 1/72 Spitfire kit and some assorted bits I needed (http://www.greathobbies.com). I like to stop by for a kabab at Pamir in the same plaza while I'm at it. Helps to eat after spending all that money on train stuff BigGrin

I also agree that West End is #1 for Märklin with a very good selection of Noch stuff as well. I think it's the only dealer in Canada which is exclusively Märklin which makes a difference.

The Peco bullhead track looks really nice, you might have to get it from the UK. Hatton's is the best in my experience but watch out for brokerage fees and GST.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by AM1
Offline jcrtrains  
#5 Posted : 23 March 2018 23:52:45(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post

I'm thinking of buying some 2 rail track to make a shuttle line. The store had a variety of manufacturers but the one I was looking for they did not have. I'm looking for the new Peco code 75 BULLHEAD track. I've read that the new Peco Bullhead track looks great and that the closer rail is solid rail not hinged.

Here"s picture from Peco.

https://goo.gl/images/8scCFZ

If I had your space, I’d build a narrow gauge branch line. Then I’d buy another showcase for Bemo. While I was at it, I would integrate the line with the Tillig dual gauge track.

cool tillig track

I’d be a happy camper.

Oh well, next best thing happened today. I got an email from Mike saying my next catenary order has arrived. Again, a happy but poorer camper.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline AM1  
#6 Posted : 24 March 2018 03:18:38(UTC)
AM1

Canada   
I’d be remiss if I didn’t also give a shout out to John’s Hobbies, good selection of Märklin locos as well as DC European and North American stuff in both HO and N scales. Also have a good selection of kits, Vollmer, Faller and Kibri and lots of RC and drone related goodies too.

They’re on the subway line and thus primed for cheeky “I was on my way home and just happened to stop by the model shop” missions. It’s ok to rail, right?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by AM1