Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rmsailor  
#1 Posted : 08 March 2018 18:27:15(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   

A new series of Great Continental Railway Journeys starts on BBC2 tonight at 8PM.

It has also been reported that Michael Portillo has been in Australia to record a series there.

Bob M.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by rmsailor
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 08 March 2018 18:32:03(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: rmsailor Go to Quoted Post

A new series of Great Continental Railway Journeys starts on BBC2 tonight at 8PM.

Yes, got it set up on the recorder.

It has also been reported that Michael Portillo has been in Australia to record a series there.

Bob M.

Ohh, hadn't heard that one. Will look forward to what he has to say about the Indian-Pacific trip, which I'm sure he'll copy us and do.

Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 08 March 2018 19:37:24(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Thanks for letting me know.ThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Rwill  
#4 Posted : 08 March 2018 23:16:32(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I have been an avid fan of Portillo since he started his British, American and Continental Rail Journeys quite a few years ago. However the "railway" content seems to get less and less in each new series and sometimes the content looses my attention - this was very much the case in the first of the new series tonight in the Ukraine. I watch quite a few of the worldwide cookery programmes so we don't really have to see Portillo helping out in a domestic kitchen - very badly. But the you have to giggle when you see him being served his breakfast tea on the overnight sleeper train dressed fetchingly in a rather short gingham check night shirt before he gets dressed in his normal lemon yellow jacket and pink trousers. This guy used to be one of our top three senior politicians!
Offline hennabm  
#5 Posted : 09 March 2018 16:34:25(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi all

I agree that the train content has gone down in this new series, so far. However that may be due to the region he is in and related stories may not be as easily accessible as other parts of the world.
I'll see if things improve as the series goes.....

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline rmsailor  
#6 Posted : 09 March 2018 17:34:21(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
His format of course is to use trains to visit different places and talk about them using his guides to compare the then and now using his various guides. This I am sure is well understood by anyone who watches his programmes. The problem last night was he only visited three cities, hence three trains plus one underground and a funicular along with a few incidental shots of trams. Having said that he is an engaging presenter and you do see places and things of interest that otherwise you would miss.

Bob M.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rmsailor
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 15 March 2018 18:13:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Looks like there was only two episodes in that series of continental journeys - but next week in the same slot he is going to India.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline rmsailor  
#8 Posted : 15 March 2018 20:37:31(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
According to TV Choice this is a series of six so perhaps the other episodes will appear later.

Bob M.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 15 March 2018 23:41:45(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
According to TV Choice this is a series of six so perhaps the other episodes will appear later.

Bob M.

Radio times says the same, but i am wondering if they are including the Indian ones in that count. Guess we will find out eventually.

Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 15 March 2018 23:57:00(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I watched part of tonight's show and I have to agree about the reduced "train" content. It seems to have turned into more of a travel show than a railway show.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Rwill  
#11 Posted : 20 March 2018 23:16:24(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Now then, even the grumpy old git that I seem to have become recently could not complain about tonight's first of two Great Indian Railway journeys . It was brilliant including at the end a visit to Shimla which has surely got to be on my bucket list. Nobody seems to be saying anything about the curtailment of the Russian journeys after two of the six programmes but it does rather coincide with the problems we are having with the russkies at the moment so perhaps it will be back in the future when things have moved on to something else?
Offline dominator  
#12 Posted : 21 March 2018 04:05:38(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
My wife records all the train programs on TV for me and last night we spied a Billy Connelly one. I watched that for a change, Chicago to Seattle. Its an economic way of seeing the world. [ more money for Marklin- yeh right. ] Not much train content but enough. Me thinks Billy is getting a wee bit slower lately though.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä