Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline GaryTrooper  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2018 03:39:12(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
This is a train marshaling question from someone who has never been to Europe but grew up playing with European toy trains.

What Locomotive would be appropriate to pull the Car Set 4389 ?

Thank you in advance,

Gary
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
N - Mix of manufacturers mostly Kato
MrB32  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2018 04:25:01(UTC)

A loco of the series 111 would work.
Offline GaryTrooper  
#3 Posted : 27 February 2018 04:58:52(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Thank you. I will look them up.
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
Offline Alsterstreek  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2018 12:49:58(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline GaryTrooper  
#5 Posted : 13 March 2018 00:31:15(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
On a different note, what passenger coaches wouild be pulled by a 3085, Class 03 steam locomotive?
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
Offline SteamNut  
#6 Posted : 13 March 2018 07:40:01(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
It would depend on the era as in the end they even took off the streamling for ease of maintenance and at the end of the war I would imagine anything that could used was.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline GaryTrooper  
#7 Posted : 13 March 2018 08:00:30(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Interesting. I've seen some differing consist photos on the internet. I guess that would explain why.

According to Wikipedia they were in service from 1930 till 1972. Impressive.

Thank you.
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
Offline GaryTrooper  
#8 Posted : 13 March 2018 08:04:53(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Now I see the Class 01 also has an impressive history.
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 13 March 2018 08:14:51(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: GaryTrooper Go to Quoted Post
According to Wikipedia they were in service from 1930 till 1972. Impressive.
There is class 03 (only one or two were ever streamlined) and there is class 03.10 (all were streamlined from the start).
Same goes for 01 and 01.10.

Many MRR fans do not care about the difference and sometimes say class 03 to refer to class 03.10 or vice versa.
The question was about class 03.
The answer mentioned streamlining, so it was about class 03.10.

01 and 01.10 were heavy locos for main lines, 03 and 03.10 were lighter locos for branch lines.
01.10 were in service until 1975.

Class 03 were used for all sorts of passenger trains. For heavy trains it sometimes had to be a double-heading of two 03s.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline GaryTrooper  
#10 Posted : 13 March 2018 08:40:50(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
I see now that I have lots of history to learn about these locomotives. Appologies for shifting the discussion all over the place but I am just beginning to see and understand the subtleties of these awesome machines. Is there a HO model of a 4 cylender Class 02? Would the two additional cylinders be internal and not be seen from the outside of the locomotive? I have actactualy seen a three cylinder locomotive but it was a North American machine.
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 13 March 2018 09:14:06(UTC)
H0

Is there a HO model of a 4 cylender Class 02?
I don't know of any affordable main-stream models.
What can be seen from the outside is the offset of the counter weights on the wheels.

Fleischmann made a model of a BR 18.6 with moving inner cylinders - but you hardly see anything from the outside.

Brawa announced a BR 03 with small running wheels. I'm more interested in getting such a BR 03 instead of getting a four-cylinder BR 02.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline GaryTrooper  
#12 Posted : 13 March 2018 16:13:27(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Brawa announced a BR 03 with small running wheels. I'm more interested in getting such a BR 03 instead of getting a four-cylinder BR 02.

If I understand correctly the smaller running wheels was the first design and the larger running wheels came later in the production to allow for faster speed. I could be way off.

So previously in the thread it sounded like the heavier 01s were used on the main line and the lighter 03s were used on branch lines. If we chose the period between WW1 and WW2 would the main line and branch line consists be the same or would each have differing passenger coaches? I would suspect the branch lines would have less wagons than the main line consists.
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
MrB32  
#13 Posted : 13 March 2018 18:00:19(UTC)

On a different note, what passenger coaches wouild be pulled by a 3085, Class 03 steam locomotive?

according to the catalogue:

or

Offline jvuye  
#14 Posted : 13 March 2018 18:32:31(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
I see now that I have lots of history to learn about these locomotives. Appologies for shifting the discussion all over the place but I am just beginning to see and understand the subtleties of these awesome machines. Is there a HO model of a 4 cylender Class 02? Would the two additional cylinders be internal and not be seen from the outside of the locomotive? I have actactualy seen a three cylinder locomotive but it was a North American machine.

Class 02 was a marginal class in terms of number build.
Most 4 (or 3) cylinder engines have the extra ones on the inside of the chassis.
Mallets (like BR96) and articulated (e.g. Garrats) have the extra cylinders on the outside.
Some 4 cylinders are simple expansion, others are dual expansion and have low- and high pressure cylinders.
The variations and permutations are infinite...as a function of their usage, their geographic location and operating conditions, the economics of fuel, etc. etc.
If you are interested in steam locos design and history, you have found yourself a lifetime occupation!Cool Wink
There are plenty of people here who will be more than happy to share and discuss!
So ask questions away...we can at least point you in the right direction.
If your interest is particularly on German engines, a fair knowledge of Goethe's language would be a great help: the number of good publications in German is huge.

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline GaryTrooper  
#15 Posted : 13 March 2018 22:33:16(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post

There are plenty of people here who will be more than happy to share and discuss!
So ask questions away...we can at least point you in the right direction.
If your interest is particularly on German engines, a fair knowledge of Goethe's language would be a great help: the number of good publications in German is huge.

I find myself quit intrigued with the Class 01 and 03 story and the design evolution. I have studied few locomotive history's mostly based on my personal opnion of the locomotives visual appeal and which locomotives were operated in the places I've lived. I've studied the GG1, GP38 and GP40, and the SD70MAC. The deisel locomotive history isn't as exciting as the steam locomotive history. I read about the history of small, single unit steam engines that were being restored by local groups and my son and i go to them and ride them if posible. The first large steam locomotive history I studied was the Challenger, as I have recently moved to the North American Pacific Northwest and found the local history quite interwoven with the Challenger.

Not to long ago my son and i got to watch the Northern Nevada Railway fire up their Engine 93, from starting the fire in the firebox to taking a ride on it. A YouTube link of that is below.

Now, after about three decades, I'm taking the trains that I grew up playing with out of boxes and realising I know nothing about their history. The only thing I know is which European railway used them, Marklin made them, and that I think they look cool. I have many many questions but I think it will take some time to get through them. Thank you for the offer discussion. I plan to use it to the fullest. Learning to read another language might be a little harder right now.

G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
Offline jvuye  
#16 Posted : 13 March 2018 23:24:58(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

I have many many questions but I think it will take some time to get through them. Thank you for the offer discussion. I plan to use it to the fullest. Learning to read another language might be a little harder right now.

Ok . One thing I have established in close to 70 years of learning things about trains is that no matter which mode electric, steam or diesel, their development and histories are endless aand reflect the advance of the intervening technologies: metallurgy, mechanical engineeering and machining capabilities, thermodynamics, electrical engineering and in the last 40 years a growing intervention of electronics and computer technologies.
Starting with understanding the stories behind the ones you have in your model RR collection is an excellent starting point.

Cheers

Jacques

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline GaryTrooper  
#17 Posted : 14 March 2018 02:38:23(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
One thing I haven't been able to follow is if there is a difference between "streamlining" a 03 to become a 03.10 or if the 03 and 03.10 are completely different productions.
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
MrB32  
#18 Posted : 14 March 2018 02:43:41(UTC)

They were different productions. Wikipedia gives the details. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRB_Class_03.10

Offline GaryTrooper  
#19 Posted : 14 March 2018 02:47:00(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Originally Posted by: MrB32 Go to Quoted Post
They were different productions. Wikipedia gives the details. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRB_Class_03.10

Than what does "streamlining" refer too?

Thanks,
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
MrB32  
#20 Posted : 14 March 2018 02:48:31(UTC)

the covering of the engine to make it aerodynamic...
Offline H0  
#21 Posted : 14 March 2018 08:14:25(UTC)
H0

A streamlined loco effectively has about 150 hp more at high speed due to reduced drag (air resistance).
The streamlined locos were difficult to maintain and therefore most German locos lost the streamlining after the war - there was little advantage at low speeds anyway.

"BR 03" is short for "BR 03.0-2".
BR 03/BR 03.0-2 and BR 03.10 are different classes, but they have the same purpose and the same axle configuration (S 3/6) and are listed under the same root number 03.
"BR 03" excludes the locos of class 03.10.
Both were designed according to the DRG standards, but at different times and with different cylinder configurations.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline GaryTrooper  
#22 Posted : 14 March 2018 09:12:57(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
Offline GaryTrooper  
#23 Posted : 14 March 2018 09:50:53(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   

or

Do you have a consist map for 3092?
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
Offline pab  
#24 Posted : 14 March 2018 10:44:54(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
https://photos.app.goo.gl/I3ONRrdvpH03uVul2

Is this streamlining?

Can't see the picture.
This is a picture of my BR 05 streamline (made in 2004)

UserPostedImage

and one of the BR 05 cab forward streamline (2014)

UserPostedImage

I don't have other streamline steamlocomotives.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by pab
Offline GaryTrooper  
#25 Posted : 14 March 2018 12:22:10(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Thanks Piet

I get it now.

Gary
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
Offline GaryTrooper  
#26 Posted : 21 March 2018 02:33:33(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   

or

The consist being pulled by the 3085 steam locomotive in the YouTube video is as close to the consist shown in catalogue as ill get given my space limitations.
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
MrB32  
#27 Posted : 21 March 2018 02:45:56(UTC)

or

Do you have a consist map for 3092?

There you go:

You can look this up in old Marklin catalogues. You'd have to know the rough year of production of what you are looking for. here
Offline GaryTrooper  
#28 Posted : 21 March 2018 03:58:07(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Thanks MrB!
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
Offline applor  
#29 Posted : 22 March 2018 05:14:26(UTC)
applor

Australia   
BR03.10 streamlining looked a bit different to the BR05's though:

UserPostedImage

The BR10 built after the war is also a good example of partial streamlining:

UserPostedImage
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline applor  
#30 Posted : 22 March 2018 05:29:01(UTC)
applor

Australia   

A better example of a 4 cylinder locomotive is the BR18.4 (Bavarian S 3/6) You can clearly see here the 4 cylinders - the additional 2 are located inside the outer 2:

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline GaryTrooper  
#31 Posted : 23 March 2018 02:44:31(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post

A better example of a 4 cylinder locomotive is the BR18.4 (Bavarian S 3/6) You can clearly see here the 4 cylinders - the additional 2 are located inside the outer 2:

UserPostedImage

What's really funny is that photo of the BR18.4 S 3/6 just happens to be one of my favorite Marklin models. I can see the inside set of cylinders. I always wondered what those funny looking rods were on my 3092 model. Do the inside and outside set of cylinders, on one side of the locomotive, both share one slide valve?

Thanks to MrB32 I was able peruse through almost a century of Marklin catalogs. It's like the model railroad equivalent to A Brief History of Time. Marklin introduced the 3092 in 1974. The cover of the 1975 catalog has the 3092 pulling a 4004 or a 4005 passenger wagon. Once the catalogs started publishing example consists or marshaling maps the 3092 is always shown to be pulling 4135 passenger wagons, which is described as 3rd class. Wikipedia has some good information about the Bavarian S 3/6 and the historical photos appear to show it pulling the 3rd class passengers wagons, like in Marklin's consist maps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavarian_S_3/6

Would a person ever see a B S 3/6 pulling a passenger wagons like the 4004s? I don't know what railroad the 4004s were from. I am guessing the 1975 cover shows the 3092 pulling the 4004 because Marklin didn't start producing the 4135 until 1978.

I also read up on the Royal Bavarian State Railway history a little bit. It's pretty neat how the railway came together from three main lines. There were some interesting ideas of "keep it simple", if you will, to get routes established with the minimal amount of cost. I can see both similarities and differences between the race to connect the east and west coasts of North American and the expansion of the Royal Bavarian State Railway. That topic would completely fill up a different thread.

About the streamlining... At first I thought a streamlined locomotive was a in completely separate class from it's non-streamlined counterparts. I finally figured out that is not the case and a certain locomotive class could be streamlined and still be in the same class. The modern era sure did produce some interesting designs. I wonder how long it took for a railway to figure out the cost benefit ratio of streamline. Streamlining doesn't look like a trivial process and had to be labor intensive. I wonder if a locomotive operator could even tell a difference?

G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
Offline H0  
#32 Posted : 23 March 2018 08:20:52(UTC)
H0

At first I thought a streamlined locomotive was a in completely separate class from it's non-streamlined counterparts.
Many classes lost their streamlining after the war. Quite a few received new boilers, some were converted to oil-firing.

The non-streamlined class 01.10 locos are the same class as the pre-war streamlined class 01.10 locos.
The non-streamlined class 01 locos are a completely separate class.

Same class or separate class - it depends.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#33 Posted : 23 March 2018 11:38:38(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Streamlining was seen to be effective on the railcars of the pre-WW2 era, such as the flying Hamburger. Steam locomotive designers would have experimented with streamlining in order to achieve higher speeds and greater fuel economy. The Br05 was the fastest steam locomotive in the world for a couple of years until the LNER "Mallard" took the record. No non-streamlined steam loco has ever come close to the record AFAIK.

The main reason why many streamliners had the casings removed was to make maintenance easier. Whereas the German classes 05, 01.10 and 03.10 had their casings removed the British A4 class carried the streamlining to the end of their lives. The other British streamlined classes such as the LMS Coronations and the Southern Bulleid pacifics did end up having the streamlining removed.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline GaryTrooper  
#34 Posted : 24 March 2018 19:37:52(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   

Another couple of weeks and I will be able to start a permanent layout. I'm looking forward to getting a nice HO layout started.
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
Offline applor  
#35 Posted : 26 March 2018 00:12:25(UTC)
applor

Australia   

Would a person ever see a B S 3/6 pulling a passenger wagons like the 4004s? I don't know what railroad the 4004s were from. I am guessing the 1975 cover shows the 3092 pulling the 4004 because Marklin didn't start producing the 4135 until 1978.

Definitely not. From what google images shows me, the Marklin 4004's are 3 axle rebuild passenger cars from the 60's.

The S 3/6 (in Bavarian green livery) is an express steamer from era I, so wrong era and coach type. The 4135 do appear correct though.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline Roland  
#36 Posted : 26 March 2018 03:30:24(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
What Locomotive would be appropriate to pull the Car Set 4389 ?

As was mentioned, BR 111 is a good choice. Found the following pic:
UserPostedImage

My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Roland
Offline dickinsonj  
#37 Posted : 26 March 2018 03:51:36(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Do the inside and outside set of cylinders, on one side of the locomotive, both share one slide valve?

Normally each cylinder has its own valve. I believe that you can see the end of the valve for the inside cylinder on the S 3/6 between the inside cylinder and the valve for the outside cylinder.

Three and four cylinder locos were much less common in North America than in Europe. The rail lines in North America covered vast distances and often used roughly laid track. Therefore mechanical simplicity and robust designs were favored over the better balanced but more labor intensive multi-cylinder arrangements found on European locomotives.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline GaryTrooper  
#38 Posted : 03 April 2018 05:35:34(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post

Definitely not. From what google images shows me, the Marklin 4004's are 3 axle rebuild passenger cars from the 60's.

The S 3/6 (in Bavarian green livery) is an express steamer from era I, so wrong era and coach type. The 4135 do appear correct though.

This video should probably be posted under the running today or just received threads but I got help in this thread to obtain a good consist. Thanks everyone for ther help and historical information.

Edited by user 03 April 2018 15:47:56(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed incorrect locomotive part number

G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by GaryTrooper
Offline GaryTrooper  
#39 Posted : 17 April 2018 06:51:10(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   

The new coupling system has a lot less play over the length of the train than the old "spring loaded" coupling system. Train on the inner loop has the new coupling system. The train on the outer loop is mostly made up of wagons with the older spring coupler system. I suspect a few pins are sheared off.
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
Offline GaryTrooper  
#40 Posted : 19 April 2018 02:58:00(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   

Streamline......
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin