Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sudibarba  
#1 Posted : 08 March 2018 05:08:27(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I have been trying. First directly through my router. No results - left it in all night. Then I downloaded the update to a USB stick and stuck it in one of the 2 USB ports
on the unit - I tried both. The other USB port is for powering devices I think. Anyway, the manual says to wait 10 to 15 seconds - I waited
for far longer. No red dot. My info page says I am on version 1.3.1 which I had upgraded to from the 1.3.0 version the unit came with using my router.

Interesting that the name of the file seems to be 1.32 not 1.3.2 as I would expect.

I have checked the settings to the best of my ability - automatic is on for instance.

I am using a 32G USB 2.0. I read that the CS2 cannot deal with a stick larger than 8G but the CS3 has no such limitation.

Unlike the CS2, the CS3 does not seem to have a dialogue to do an update. It appears that it is all automatic and by router or USB the red dot indicating
a new version appears and you follow it through the process.

I had a rought time sending my info from the CS2 to the CS3 and some lok info was scrambled. I did not have track plans in but a fellow forum member told me
his were all messed up after the transfer. I don't know if the software could have been corrupted by this process. I also have problems setting addresses with ESU decoders - another story.

Need to figure how to update or will have to send the unit back to Marklin or the vendor for analysis.

Eric
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#2 Posted : 09 March 2018 01:02:05(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Originally Posted by: sudibarba Go to Quoted Post
I have been trying. First directly through my router. No results - left it in all night. Then I downloaded the update to a USB stick and stuck it in one of the 2 USB ports
on the unit - I tried both. The other USB port is for powering devices I think. Anyway, the manual says to wait 10 to 15 seconds - I waited
for far longer. No red dot. My info page says I am on version 1.3.1 which I had upgraded to from the 1.3.0 version the unit came with using my router.

Interesting that the name of the file seems to be 1.32 not 1.3.2 as I would expect.

I have checked the settings to the best of my ability - automatic is on for instance.

I am using a 32G USB 2.0. I read that the CS2 cannot deal with a stick larger than 8G but the CS3 has no such limitation.

Unlike the CS2, the CS3 does not seem to have a dialogue to do an update. It appears that it is all automatic and by router or USB the red dot indicating

I had a rought time sending my info from the CS2 to the CS3 and some lok info was scrambled. I did not have track plans in but a fellow forum member told me
his were all messed up after the transfer. I don't know if the software could have been corrupted by this process. I also have problems setting addresses with ESU decoders - another story.

Need to figure how to update or will have to send the unit back to Marklin or the vendor for analysis.

Eric

I upgraded by holding down the left-hand red button and the STOP bar, and this forced an update.

However, my CS3 has been a little more flakey since then. It no longer displays the little green "you are running the latest version" icon. And, it reboots if anything derails; it generally didn't do that before. It's difficult to know what behavior is caused by an update or not, but I'm hoping that a new update comes out to fix some of this behavior.

I used to think that it is a good idea to stay current with the latest updates. But, if it ain't broke, don't fix it - perhaps better not to update unless there are clear reasons to do so.

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline dickinsonj  
#3 Posted : 09 March 2018 01:48:37(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: johnpatrickwack Go to Quoted Post

I used to think that it is a good idea to stay current with the latest updates. But, if it ain't broke, don't fix it - perhaps better not to update unless there are clear reasons to do so.

Cheers, John

In general I agree about staying up to date, but with a small, specialty maker like Märklin I often hold back. I see what the update provides and I often wait until I see something that I really need before I commit to it. Let other users be the beta testers while I just run what works for me. BTW that insight comes from writing software for a living and knowing that no software release is ever really done. BigGrin

Actually I often do the same thing with MS and Apple software, so I guess I should give Märklin a pass. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline sudibarba  
#4 Posted : 09 March 2018 02:20:12(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I hear what you guys are saying but I cannot update or write addresses to loks. I am messed up or there is a really serious problem here.

Why are there no people posting telling me that they have upgraded and operate fine? Do they just not care to respond or is everyone in a mess?

Are there only a small group of people that have this beast?

My serial number is below 2000 as was the one for my CS2. Does this mean there are only 2000 owners in the world?
Who is running this railroad - I had a fellow Marklin user (and forum member) with experience with ECOS and MS2 come and look over my shoulder.
We read the downloaded manual as well as the CS3 book I bought. We failed downloading the update and address loading and changes on the ESU
decoder loks I have. Now, I can change addresses and run them up my programing track i set up for my ESU lokprogrammer. Lights on and off etc.
Just cannot get the lok loaded in the CS3 with the address I assigned with the lok programmer. Yes, we know about MM and DCC settings.

I have tried to talk to the Marklin digital guys but they either do not understand what I am saying or they are in denial.

This cannot be this hard if you are selling a product to the general public. Of course, maybe I have a defective unit but how do you know?

Before I just send it off somewhere I would like to see if I can resovle the issues. Once again, where are the satisfied customers that I can communicate
with to see if it is my problem or what?

Eric
Offline siroljuk  
#5 Posted : 09 March 2018 09:59:26(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello Eric and other tooBigGrin BigGrin

I have CS3Plus and i did updated it quite long ago to 1.3.2(1). Update was automatic after red spot was on the screen I just allowed it by clicking the update button.

I have used my CS3 almost every day and YES there are bugs, sometimes I cannot read Loco's decoder, sometimes I cannot update VC-changes and so on...
But I have some kind of workaround:

I have to BOOT the device after I have realized that some maneuver don't go right. I do reloading so that first I shut down device properly, then I take all power off and after waiting for few seconds I put power on again.

It is frustrating but I manage to make what I was doing.ThumpUp ThumpUp

Mostly I use my CS3Plus via PC because I have big touch-screen connected to my Laptop. AND . . . ALL MY CONNECTIONS are straight using cable NO WIFI, I dfon't relay on WIFI.

I wish you can manage using this kind of workaround until Märklin release new updates.

Have Fun
Regards
Jukka

Offline paolo1951  
#6 Posted : 11 March 2018 10:56:15(UTC)
paolo1951

Italy   
This is the response of Marklin about the problem of changing address of loco DCC/MM or change value of cv with CS3 ( Almost always works ):

Dear Mr. Bernasconi,

Before programming the locomotive, try to press the Stop button twice. After that the locomotive address should have changed
Märklin Customer Service

Daniel Kahler

My mail to Marklin :

Subject: CS3 Problem
I am writing to you from Milan Italy, I purchased a CS3 60226 The Cs3 has problems programming the locomotives with MM or DCC type decoders. so I can not change address and more. Sometimes it works but for very short moments.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by paolo1951
Offline siroljuk  
#7 Posted : 11 March 2018 14:09:41(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello.
I think that Märklin's answer proves that there is bug ( I think many bugs).

They apparently didn't tell you in which situation you should press STOP-button twice. After you have put new values I suppose.BigGrin BigGrin

Well . . . this is life with new Märklin stuffBigGrin
Anyway I like that stuffThumpUp ThumpUp
Regards

Jukka
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 11 March 2018 14:38:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: siroljuk Go to Quoted Post
Hello.
I think that Märklin's answer proves that there is bug ( I think many bugs).

They apparently didn't tell you in which situation you should press STOP-button twice. After you have put new values I suppose.BigGrin BigGrin

Well . . . this is life with new Märklin stuffBigGrin
Anyway I like that stuffThumpUp ThumpUp
Regards

Jukka

A number of DCC decoders require a power cycle to change a value in certain CVs after programming. When programming on hte main this results in the "tilt the loco so all the wheels on one side are off the track for 10 seconds" instruction. It is not isolated to marklin by any means.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline siroljuk  
#9 Posted : 11 March 2018 16:59:50(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Thanks Alan.
This good to know.

I am used to program all decoders and such on the program track though. And Blushing I have to say, Idon't own/use DCC-devices, only few has demand to be DCC-mode when program it.

Jukka
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 11 March 2018 17:28:47(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Still holding back from buying my CS3 plus. Just how long will It take before we have a unit that works properly I don't know.
With my CS2 I only update using USB stick and have had no problems. I have never connected to the net and maybe this is where the problem lies.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline dickinsonj  
#11 Posted : 11 March 2018 23:37:32(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Still holding back from buying my CS3 plus. Just how long will It take before we have a unit that works properly I don't know.
With my CS2 I only update using USB stick and have had no problems. I have never connected to the net and maybe this is where the problem lies.

You should get the same updates on the CS2/CS3 regardless of how they are transferred to your device, so I doubt that is the problem.

But I subscribe to the "better the devil you know" philosophy, so I am sticking with my CS2 for now, warts and all. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline siroljuk  
#12 Posted : 12 March 2018 07:43:00(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
HELLOBigGrin BigGrin

DEVELOPMENT. . . the development dear gentlemen and ladies. If we were not here , then who would develop the Märklin equipmentLOL LOL LOL

Have Fun

Regards

Jukka
Offline sudibarba  
#13 Posted : 20 March 2018 23:43:29(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   

Eric

I upgraded by holding down the left-hand red button and the STOP bar, and this forced an update.

However, my CS3 has been a little more flakey since then. It no longer displays the little green "you are running the latest version" icon. And, it reboots if anything derails; it generally didn't do that before. It's difficult to know what behavior is caused by an update or not, but I'm hoping that a new update comes out to fix some of this behavior.

Cheers, John

Offline sudibarba  
#14 Posted : 21 March 2018 00:02:31(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   

Eric

Cheers, John

John -
I finally got around to try your suggestion. I( have been busy settling an estate and was totally bummed out on Marklin). Well, to my total surprise,when I hit the button and the stop bar things came alive.
A window opened and very fast lines of data started streaming in. This ran for a while (5 minutes?) and stopped. I forgot what I clicked but probably "OK". This took me back to the main screen and the system had the red dot. I followed it and started the update the normal way. Things did not go the way I expected and I got a few warning messages in German. I got my laptop and did google translate on the words but it seemed to
be about connectivity. Anyway, after I clicked on a few things it all settled down. When I went to info it said my version was now 1.3.2(1).

All of this is totally out of sorts withthe published documentation. When I hook my CS3 to the layout tomorrow I will see if loading addresses has improved. I have the feeling it will not be better. As of today,
I say the CS3 is ,a flawed product not worthy of purchase at this time.

Thanks for your help - How did you ever know to try pushing those two buttons?

Eric

PS Markin needs to know only 2% of the people in the world speak German. Maybe most of their business is in Germany but if they want to grow ....
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sudibarba
Offline Minok  
#15 Posted : 21 March 2018 20:05:36(UTC)
Minok

United States   

PS Markin needs to know only 2% of the people in the world speak German. Maybe most of their business is in Germany but if they want to grow ....

Yeah, but most of their customers are in Germany/Austria/Switzerland, I suspect.

In the end, Märklin is just not good at software development - not sure why that is as I don't have internal company insight. Could be the team is too small, or underfunded for the task. They have to figure this out though, because like most things, there will be more software involved going forward, not less.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline David Dewar  
#16 Posted : 21 March 2018 20:52:44(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
It might be helpful if anybody who has a problem fires off an email to Marklin. If they get enough complaints they will do something otherwise problems will continue. No point in complaining if the company does not know about your complaint.
I presume Marklin have the CS3 made by another company for them.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#17 Posted : 21 March 2018 23:46:56(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Eric, someone on this forum mentioned it, I can't remember who, but it worked for me. BTW, in my message I complained that the CS3 was flakey afterward, but the problem was elsewhere - the CS3 is doing fine with the new upgrade.

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline sudibarba  
#18 Posted : 22 March 2018 03:24:49(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Eric, someone on this forum mentioned it, I can't remember who, but it worked for me. BTW, in my message I complained that the CS3 was flakey afterward, but the problem was elsewhere - the CS3 is doing fine with the new upgrade.

Cheers, John

I hope that I find that to be the case. Did not get the chance to try things out today but I did hook the CS3 up to my layout and it ran existing Loks fine.
I have many obligations for the next few days that require travel and are far more important than toy trains that have gotten complicated completely out of control.

This weekend I have a friend coming over to help me with repairs/upgrades to my 1976 MGB so trains are not on the schedule. I have being doing Marklin since 1959
so I am committed, but, its not always first.

Can you set addresses etc?

thanks,
Eric
Offline siroljuk  
#19 Posted : 22 March 2018 07:33:55(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hi Eric.
And others tooBigGrin BigGrin

As we CS3 owners know for sure it is not ready yet, so it is really easier to make changes to your locos using program track.

Short, few parts of track and connect it to "prog"-plug in CS3, put your loco there and do what you want to do. If you have troubles just power off the CS3 and put power on again. Then try again.
I have had troubles every now and then and always get done what I have tried after "reboot" the device.BigGrin BigGrin

Have Fun

Regards
Jukka
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#20 Posted : 22 March 2018 12:07:06(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
I am able to set addresses properly; things are working well. BUT, as Jukka has mentioned, I've found that I do sometimes have to power down the unit and unplug it for say 30 seconds. I have a few DCC locos, so I do use the programming track always; sometimes I get errors when using the layout track and reading MFX decoders.

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline dickinsonj  
#21 Posted : 22 March 2018 12:56:15(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Hi Eric.

As we CS3 owners know for sure it is not ready yet, so it is really easier to make changes to your locos using program track.

Regards
Jukka

Yes, unfortunately it may be a good while yet until all of the software bugs are worked out of the CS3. That is the main reason why I am still waiting to make my upgrade to one. There are some "heritage" bugs in my CS2 that will probably never be fully addressed, but overall it does work well.

After some mfx registration issues I now only program my locos on a dedicated programming track. I think that following Jukka's advice would make most to these type of problems disappear and it is easier to just do it that way than deal with issues which can occur when programming on the main.
Regards,
Jim

Offline sudibarba  
#22 Posted : 31 March 2018 04:11:06(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Hi Eric.

Short, few parts of track and connect it to "prog"-plug in CS3, put your loco there and do what you want to do. If you have troubles just power off the CS3 and put power on again. Then try again.
I have had troubles every now and then and always get done what I have tried after "reboot" the device.BigGrin BigGrin

Have Fun

Regards
Jukka

I have always had a separate programming track set up, including the CS2, which I thought was standard practice. The only loks I let program on the main line are MFX decoder loks that find
and register themselves. I believe I am following Marklin's recommendations to the letter. Something is wrong. We should not have to consistantly reboot or any other such
tricks. These tricks are not mentioned in the CS3 manual or the recently release CS3 book. I have now been contacted by enough people having the same problems for me to
feel the the CS3 is a flawed product. I bet the is a lot of concern in the programming/ IT or whatever they call it department. If the company I worked for had these kinds of
problems and feedback there would be hell to pay.
Eric