Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mcnall  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2018 16:46:13(UTC)
mcnall

United States   
Well another mechanical relay is out and I need to replace it. I thought in the past that this meant getting a Marklin digital conversion kit w/60760 decoder, permanent magnet, and 5 pole motor. I think there must be a cheaper way. I really want to keep this motor as it is a good runner and the shield seems to be a good fit. My questions are: Do I need to get a permanent magnet and can I get a cheaper decoder/electronic relay than the 60760 which go for 25.00? What was Marklin using back when they switched over to electronic reversing units. Again, I am after the best running for shunting operations I can get in analog. Thanks Ed
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2018 16:50:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mcnall Go to Quoted Post
Well another mechanical relay is out and I need to replace it. I thought in the past that this meant getting a Marklin digital conversion kit w/60760 decoder, permanent magnet, and 5 pole motor. I think there must be a cheaper way. I really want to keep this motor as it is a good runner and the shield seems to be a good fit. My questions are: Do I need to get a permanent magnet and can I get a cheaper decoder/electronic relay than the 60760 which go for 25.00? What was Marklin using back when they switched over to electronic reversing units. Again, I am after the best running for shunting operations I can get in analog. Thanks Ed

One option would be to go on ebay looking for Delta decoders or 6080 decoders. These will both withstand the reversing pulse and use the field winding motor, so you don't need to change anything on the motor.

Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2018 16:57:14(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: mcnall Go to Quoted Post

Ed I'm a bit confused, although a digital decoder can operate on an analog set up and yes the 5 pole motor has good or should I say excellent running characteristics but this is obtained by using a suitable decoder, all my locos have ESU decoders installed and they are all have a multi protocol design except the M4.
you can get conversion sets (depending which conversion set you need) around the Euro 22.00 and some are slightly cheaper. by adding a lokpilot decoder you're looking at another Euro 30.00 , so all up around Euro 52.00, this will give you excellent shunting characteristics and hopefully you've got some one who can program the decoder for you to achieve the best out of the decoder.

regards.,

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline franciscohg  
#4 Posted : 20 March 2018 17:08:52(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi, if you want to keep the AC motor a good and cheap option is the Uhlenbrock 76200
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline mcnall  
#5 Posted : 20 March 2018 17:36:01(UTC)
mcnall

United States   
Well one of my problems is there no one near to program my decoder for me. Would the Uhlenbrock 76200 need programed as I believe there is a guy in Houston (200) miles away that uses this system for his Marklin stuff. Also a photo of wiring to a Delta or 6080 would be helpful
Offline hxmiesa  
#6 Posted : 20 March 2018 18:15:59(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
What unit are you talking about? -The first early 5-poled analog motors drew a very high current. Much nore than some decoders can handle today...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline franciscohg  
#7 Posted : 20 March 2018 18:42:15(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi, the 76200 default setting is for automatic recognizition of Analog/digital operation. So it should work in analog with no further modifications of CVs
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline mcnall  
#8 Posted : 21 March 2018 12:10:16(UTC)
mcnall

United States   
It seems that the Uhlenbrock 76200 may no longer be carried by the company. There are currently a couple available on EBAY for around 40.00 from Germany. Anybody body out there in the U.S. have one they would like to sell for a good price? This unit can run ac or dc and doesn't involve converting the magnet. All I know is that the 3031 I converted to a 5pole motor w/marklin 60760 decoder does not run that well a slower speeds. I am not sure a Lokpilot IV (which are readily available) would improve things without going in and setting CV values which entails having a digital control unit in which case I might as well go all out to digital.
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 21 March 2018 14:52:18(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile