Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Khanzir  
#1 Posted : 03 February 2018 22:46:55(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
Hi friends.

been researching how to upgrade my Marklin 038 382-8. The lights it has flicker when it runs and also there is a constant sound with sounds like motor grinding. guess its the shoe. and then there is no sound. was wondering how to upgrade it and what parts to order/use and how to add sound to it. I have never done an upgrade but willing to do so.
all help is appreciated.

Thanks
Offline ktsolias  
#2 Posted : 03 February 2018 23:19:32(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
The conversion has some difficulties

First the space, second you need to modify a bit the motor cover.

Any way we can see all on the way.

You need

1. 60943 motor (for SFCM)
2. 60976 decoder or ESU Loksound V4
3. LED for the lights

You can take an idea at www.saebonet.com. The conversion kit is old but the procedure is the same.

And finally the cost will be around 100 to 150 Euros depend of the decoder and the supplier. (without sound the cost is the half)

Regards

Costas

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 04 February 2018 02:30:18(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
When you do a conversion for the first time I would suggest not to go straight for a sound decoder but rather an ordinary decoder so long it has the same plug (8 pin or 21 pin).

with ESU it doesn't matter, where ever you buy your sound decoder and you ruin it you get it replaced for free (3 year warranty).
what is important that you have a multi meter so you can ascertain all your connections are clear of any cross wires., when using an 8 pin harness and plug you can test the plug after securing/soldered all wires and touch the plugs with your multi meter connectors (cross references).

the conversion Sven did is perfect but for my liking's a bit outdated. you could get a decoder holder to the right of the motor, usually there is a mounting bracket and you can secure the decoder onto it (ESU adapter plate 51968) or use a double sided adhesive tape and secure the decoder onto it.
when you use a sound decoder I would suggest to place the speaker into the tender.
Unfortunately I never owned one of these locos otherwise I could show you picture's of it.
with the light you can either use bulbs as Sven did with its plastic bulb holder and this will fit into the same spot where the previous bulb was sitting in,. by using this light plug you can achieve your flicker free lights and instructions for this are normally supplied with your choice of decoder. (orange (Märklin or blue (ESU), this wire is a + (DC) and comes from the decoder and not from the ground connection as the previous bulb (set into the bulbholder/chassis).
the light functions are straight forward, front and rear light if there are lights in the tender, if not you can drill a couple holes into the dummy light fittings.(but this gets a bit more complicated as you would need either see if there is a spare part for later editions of this loco whereas there are lights in the tender. , you can add a smoke generator but it doesn't look like it it was ever provided or ready to be able to install one (again you would have to drill a hole into the smoke stack and fit a Seuthe smoke generator (make sure the hole is the same diameter as the smoke generator.

regards.,

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Khanzir  
#4 Posted : 04 February 2018 02:46:12(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
thank you very much Costa and John. I atleast now know that it may be difficult. but I am willing to try and will order parts. Guess I'll avoid drilling, but try without it and see. the tender is a separate unit and usually is disconnected when stored. so lets see. let me get busy ordering parts. I will post pictures for the benefit of other people if it works out.

Thanks so very much.
Offline Khanzir  
#5 Posted : 27 February 2018 02:48:10(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
Train.jpgTrain.jpg

Hi friends this is where I am after a lot of research and studies and you tube videos.
when I put it on track, I can hear the motor. it was detected automatically as DCC-0. but nothing moves. and it then goes to stop. can't figure out what is wrong.
have checked all connections and there is no short circuit.
Offline applor  
#6 Posted : 27 February 2018 04:41:16(UTC)
applor

Australia   
When you say you can hear the motor, are you referring to the speaker sound chuffs?

If it is not moving but the speaker is making sounds, then that indicates an issue with the brushes (coals). Check they are making contact with the rotor.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline ktsolias  
#7 Posted : 27 February 2018 08:33:57(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
The decoder is an mfx decoder
Address DCC 0 is not correct

What controller do you use? Are you using programming track?

the decoder must be recognized automatically like mSD3 dumpf or something like this

the DCC address is 3

Costas
Offline Khanzir  
#8 Posted : 27 February 2018 19:54:16(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
Thanks Costa and applor for responding.

I am using the mobile station. I am going to check the brushes when I get back today. but not sure if the speaker is making the sound. does not sound like chuffs, its more like static.
Offline Khanzir  
#9 Posted : 27 February 2018 19:57:19(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
how do I make it to recognize correctly? what could be the reason for that not being recognized?
Offline Khanzir  
#10 Posted : 27 February 2018 22:18:17(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
I am trying this for the first time. I am using just a straight track to test it.
Offline Khanzir  
#11 Posted : 28 February 2018 00:39:07(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
watched this video to guide me. there is nothing else.

wonder where I went wrong
Offline Khanzir  
#12 Posted : 28 February 2018 02:49:21(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
Hi Costas

surprisingly, while I was deleting all the DCC 0 from the MS2. I found the mSD3 dumpf listed as one of the locos. so it did pick up. additionally I switched the blue green wires around. One of the brushes still juts out despite replacing it. guess I have to push it in!
will try that again.
thanks guys for directing me in the right direction.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Khanzir
Offline Khanzir  
#13 Posted : 28 February 2018 02:54:48(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
everything works. very grateful guys!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Khanzir
Offline ktsolias  
#14 Posted : 28 February 2018 10:19:11(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Is a common problem with MS2. Each decoder has to register only once.

You have to delete first the old registration and then do it again, but is not necessary is you know who is the decoder.

Important: Don't forget to file the motor body as Svein described, ptherwise the body will not fit!!!!

Congratsulations for you first conversion!!!

Go on is a great fun!!!

Don't hesitate to ask....

Every loco conversion has some critical points...

Costas
Offline Khanzir  
#15 Posted : 28 February 2018 13:10:56(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
Thanks you Costas.

Now trying to see if I can retro fit an LED light bulb. the holder will need to be changed and then there is red boiler light. trying to see if I can hook them up in series or as separate circuits. lets see. this is fun. specially since it worked out
Offline Khanzir  
#16 Posted : 05 March 2018 02:15:30(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
Hi friends.

I have been able to get the front LED to work. tried to connect two with negative to positive connection of the LED bulbs, but the decoder did not like that. so have a forward light right now. There is no room for a rear light which is red and appears like coals burning. I have been able to stick the speaker ( smaller one) to the back of the holder for the decoder.
Problem is when ever I put the cover back, it starts behaving erratically. some time it wont register with a static noise from the decoder and the Mobile units goes to STOP. then I adjust the shoe and it works at times ( its probably loose and touches one of the wheels). Other times it registers and just takes off at high speed. then when I stop it, it stops moving. cannot figure out what could be wrong. Is there a short some where? when I take the cover off, its all happy and keeps moving the right way.
while I have digitalized it with a 5 pole motor, have a new decoder and also extensive sound functions, it just does not want to behave!

Any ideas what all could be wrong? How can I tighten the pick up shoe, it moves from side to side despite tightening the screw

appreciate all help. thanks
Offline ktsolias  
#17 Posted : 05 March 2018 10:17:21(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi

Look for short circuit

Cover with insulation tape the inside of the lloco body

Costas
Offline Khanzir  
#18 Posted : 18 March 2018 22:54:33(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
for some reason, when I run the locomotive, it in between loses power and then picks up again. does not happen when I go very slow. tried all kinds of things. Is it the track? but the other locos run fine. or is it the shoe?
thanks again