Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline QQQ1970  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2018 22:11:51(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
When I set up MU locos, should I align the max speed of the locos to prevent damage to the motors?
Offline blid  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2018 15:41:32(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
My standard advice is to create the MU and place the engines say an engine length apart. Start running and observe how they behave. The distance should not vary by much. You may have to change not just the top speed but the starting speed and every step in between as well.
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by blid
Offline QQQ1970  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2018 00:05:04(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Thanks I will give it a try
Offline dickinsonj  
#4 Posted : 17 March 2018 14:35:04(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: blid Go to Quoted Post
My standard advice is to create the MU and place the engines say an engine length apart. Start running and observe how they behave. The distance should not vary by much. You may have to change not just the top speed but the starting speed and every step in between as well.

This very good advice. If the two locos are identical they they should probably have the same performance parameters but if they are not you will need to customize their whole performance envelope for them to run together well. That may not be the easiest thing to accomplish and it will take careful attention to detail to make that work correctly. I normally only make an MUC out of models that are mechanically identical and even then they do not always pull together harmoniously, especially when taking into consideration the starting delay caused in newer locos when the operating sounds are activated. My croc double set runs perfectly together without operating sounds but occasionally one loco will start a bit before the other when the sound is turned on.

Good luck and keep us informed on how this goes since it could be instructive for all of us. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Jay