Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Thewolf  
#1 Posted : 03 March 2018 21:32:14(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi guys Cool

Those who regularly read my threads know that I had a lot of problems with my rails used to detect trains by wheels on locos and wagons.

With the help of Lasse (Danlake) first and Peter (PMPeter) second, I was able to solve the problems.

And I thank them for that.

I ground the ends of the rails (about 64-66 rails) .

It took time and as usual everything worked... one day.

This afternoon... again a problem three S88 diodes light up on the layout of the cs2.

On the TCO these 3 blocks are declared "occupied" and no coaches or freight cars or locomotives are in the blocks.

Under the table in some places the wires of the S88 are even coated with aluminium foil to avoid turbulence with the wires of the electric current

So I agree with the hypothesis put forward by Peter (PMPeter) if my memories are good, I have a problem with the flat Marklin cord or with the S88 5217 decoders from viesmann or both together.

I've been surfing the LDT site a little bit.

A lot of choices and for a little guy like me, it's the puzzle. What to choose?

What are the differences between

- RM-88-N

- RM-88-N-O

- RM-GB-8-N

The second one (RM-88-N-O) tempts me very much but I don't know LDT products

To conclude, the extended connection cable for the s88-feedback bus seems better than the marklin flat cable.

I need your advice, which as usual will be appreciated.

I have the CS2 and the software Itrain

Thank you

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 03 March 2018 22:18:48(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Hi,

I generally use the RM-88-N (6 of them) and have added 2 of the RM-88-N-O with the opto-coupling in a couple of areas where I had a contact track always showing occupied and another area where I was getting consistant
CS2 crashes whenever I was going over a particular contact track under Rocrail control. Once I replaced those decoders with the RM-88-N-O units the problems disappeared. If I was starting over I would go for all RM-88-N-O types since they appear to be far better for the extra cost.

As stated previously I also have the LDT turntable decoder, and have started to standardize on the LDT signal decoders. All work exceptionally well. I had one signal decoder output fail and after communication with LDT on when and how it failed they gave me a repair quote, I sent it off, and got it back repaired at no charge. So they stand by their products.

Peter
Offline Thewolf  
#3 Posted : 03 March 2018 22:42:38(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I generally use the RM-88-N (6 of them) and have added 2 of the RM-88-N-O with the opto-coupling in a couple of areas where I had a contact track always showing occupied and another area where I was getting consistant
CS2 crashes whenever I was going over a particular contact track under Rocrail control. Once I replaced those decoders with the RM-88-N-O units the problems disappeared. If I was starting over I would go for all RM-88-N-O types since they appear to be far better for the extra cost.

As stated previously I also have the LDT turntable decoder, and have started to standardize on the LDT signal decoders. All work exceptionally well. I had one signal decoder output fail and after communication with LDT on when and how it failed they gave me a repair quote, I sent it off, and got it back repaired at no charge. So they stand by their products.

Peter

Ok thank you ...... I see that you use both... but I still don't know the difference... I'm sorry but I don't know more... it doesn't matter... I'll send an email to LDT for more info.

But for the price difference I'm probably going to opt for the RM-88-N-O

Thewolf
Offline PMPeter  
#4 Posted : 04 March 2018 01:04:25(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post

Ok thank you ...... I see that you use both... but I still don't know the difference... I'm sorry but I don't know more... it doesn't matter... I'll send an email to LDT for more info.

But for the price difference I'm probably going to opt for the RM-88-N-O

Thewolf

The RM-88-N is the same as a Maerklin S88 decoder with the same type of connections. You connect a ground wire to the inverted T of the first module and then just the inputs to the rest of the other modules. The RM-88-N-O is optically coupled. Therefore, in simplified terms there is no electrical connection between the inputs and the output. For this reason you need to provide a digital power reference connection to each module instead of the ground connection. Any interference picked up by the input wires is not transferred to the output due to the optical coupling isolation. So you could consider that the RM-88-N is an electrically connected device and the RM-88-N-O is a "light" connected device. I'm sure electronic experts will shutter by my explanation, but it is probably the simplest way to explain the difference.

So you are on the correct track. If you expect you are having interference issues the RM-88-N-O is the way to go.

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline PeFu  
#5 Posted : 04 March 2018 07:04:57(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Adding to the above explanations:

The RM-88-N and RM-88-N-O are connected to one of the outer rails, and react on present wheels grounding the connection.

The RM-GB-8-N is connected to the inner/center rail, and reacts on a present slider/pickup-shoe consuming power.

The RM-GB-8-N was a perfect solution on my M track layout. I would use it also on my C and K track layout, if the cost per input was equal to the RM-88-N-O. (No need for the ”diode trick”.) Both are great products, and I have never experienced any interference.

Cool
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline French_Fabrice  
#6 Posted : 04 March 2018 08:47:44(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello Serge,

Nothing to add to what other members have already said.

Personally, I used LDT modules since 5 years and they work very well.

There are many pictures on LDT website describing how to connect various devices.

Here are a few useful ones:
http://www.ldt-infocente...oku.php?id=en:ab_cs2_3lg (base url for various connections related to 60215)
http://www.ldt-infocente...ssbeispiele/page_698.pdf (RM88N)
http://www.ldt-infocente...ssbeispiele/page_719.pdf (RM88NO)
http://www.ldt-infocente...ssbeispiele/page_648.pdf (RMGB8N)
http://www.ldt-infocente...ssbeispiele/page_778.pdf
http://www.ldt-infocente...sbeispiele/page_1037.pdf (connect the S88 cable to bottom of 60215)
http://www.ldt-infocente...sbeispiele/page_1781.pdf

If you use opto isolated RM88, please take notice the RM88NO "T" plug must be connected to "B" and not "0" !

and finally don't forget to purchase the initial s88 cable:
http://www.ldt-infocente...for_the_s88-feedback_bus

Other cables joining two RM88N are standard RJ45 (ethernet ) cables.

Have fun
Fabrice
Offline PeFu  
#7 Posted : 04 March 2018 10:48:22(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: French_Fabrice Go to Quoted Post

and finally don't forget to purchase the initial s88 cable:
http://www.ldt-infocente...for_the_s88-feedback_bus

Other cables joining two RM88N are standard RJ45 (ethernet ) cables.

If using a CS2, you could use a RJ45 internet cable also here, by adding the following products from Tams:

1 x S88-15 (Short 15 cm cable)
1 x S88-A-SL (Adapter)

This makes it possible to have a longer distance to the first S88 module, without interference.
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline amartinezv  
#8 Posted : 04 March 2018 16:00:19(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello

Suddenly I remembered that with CS2 it was necessary to use the s88 ground connection (that connection marked as an inverted T). I can't find the marklin document where it was referenced, but I'm sure of it. It is possible that connecting only one of the s88 may be sufficient if this is not the case, you must connect each of them, i. e. a cable from the T-connection to the rail ground.

Hope this helps

Best regards and good luck
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
Offline Thewolf  
#9 Posted : 04 March 2018 21:24:34(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: amartinezv Go to Quoted Post
Hello

Suddenly I remembered that with CS2 it was necessary to use the s88 ground connection (that connection marked as an inverted T). I can't find the marklin document where it was referenced, but I'm sure of it. It is possible that connecting only one of the s88 may be sufficient if this is not the case, you must connect each of them, i. e. a cable from the T-connection to the rail ground.

Hope this helps

Best regards and good luck

Hi Antonio Cool

I think that only the first must be connected to the ground

I thank everyone for the help you gave me. It was appreciated.

I will be ordering in a few weeks the LDT products that I want right away after finally receiving the news from my native country... long awaited for too long.

Thewolf