Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline drbob01  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2012 02:41:20(UTC)
drbob01

I just got a new ATSF caboose and would like to have interior and exterior led's. Anyone know how I can get power to run the leds? Thanks!
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2012 06:50:48(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: drbob01 Go to Quoted Post
I just got a new ATSF caboose and would like to have interior and exterior led's. Anyone know how I can get power to run the leds? Thanks!

pictures my friend, pictures, without pictures there is no tomorrow.

especially the underframe with its wheels.

Here is an example of how it can be done.

river6109 attached the following image(s):
dsc02367 a.jpg
dsc02368 a.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 19 October 2012 06:10:30(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

Well, apart from John river6109 Offline having the audacity to post images of what appears to be an "Atlas China" product (what is the world coming to?) Flapper Flapper .....

Marklin do make a good variety of lighting kits, particularly for interior lighting, but we would need to know the item number of your particular Caboose to know if there is either one for that, or whether someone may be able to suggest a kit for a different item which could be adapted without too much trouble. Most of the kits are generally just the normal incandescent bulb and possibly a light diffuser but there is also a more universal interior lighting kit with LED's # 73400 which was discussed here at some length a few years back ...

https://www.marklin-user...spx?g=posts&m=192125

As for exterior led's, the quick and dirty way is to drill a couple of holes and fit led's into them - basically that's what Marklin did with the passenger coach rear lighting on a few models except they used plastic diffusers to bring the light to the hole and painted red on the very end. Simple but effective. If you want the side-mounted style of rear lighting you might look at cannibalising a box car which already has them, or look at another solution.

If you add a pickup shoe to the wagon, you'll introduce a small amount of extra drag, as well as considerations if you use any form of centre-rail detection for feedback. The alternative is current-conducting couplers.

Another method yet again is to simply make the whole thing self-contained and powered by a 9v battery (or smaller) which you just replace as and when required. You'll need a way to turn it on and off (or simply disconnect the battery), but you won't have to worry about any drag, flicker, tricky wiring etc.

Often with these things the easiest method is look for another item which already has the feature you want, and then see how it's done and if you can adapt it using orderable parts.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Regards
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline drbob01  
#4 Posted : 19 October 2012 14:25:59(UTC)
drbob01

Thanks! Great information! I will get back with more info later.
Offline drbob01  
#5 Posted : 06 November 2012 20:13:25(UTC)
drbob01

Well, here's the latest: I bought copper foil and created a pickup which I currently have glued to the bottom of the truck and a wire goes to the interior. However, now I need another wire for the other side of the circuit. Any suggestions on how to connect it so that the lights will work?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by drbob01
Offline kbvrod  
#6 Posted : 06 November 2012 20:44:50(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Wheels (ground)
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 06 November 2012 20:57:39(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Assuming that your caboose is by Maerklin, one possibility would be to look at the recent Set 00767 which contains 12 cars with rear lights. One of the items in the set is a DB Eaos bogie hopper. It may be possible to obtain the slider and mounting, which might fit on the caboose bogie as well.

You could also consider using the "Easy-Peasy" lighting system from Rapido trains, which is battery powered and is controlled by a magnetic wand.
You could build a battery compartment into a box car (maybe 4AA, 2 C-Cells or a 9V) and wire it to the caboose behind. You can even get rechargeable NiMH batteries from Duracell or Eveready these days

I think all of the Maerklin USA cars all have the same bogies, so they would all use the same design for a slider.

You could run a single cable from the locomotive or B unit the length of the train and control the lights from there. Viessman has a two pole current conducting coupler or you could use Maerklin's current conducting close coupler between cars.

I hope that this info is of use to you

Regards

Mike C
Offline drbob01  
#8 Posted : 20 August 2013 20:39:36(UTC)
drbob01

After considerable time since the last post, having had to move my layout and re-do our basement, I am back at getting the lighting done. Having found help with Richmond Controls and Trainaidsa, I am getting ready to light my caboose and add marker lights and replace the original incandescent lights in my passenger cars with LED's...Here's hoping it all goes well without hitches. I need to disassembe the ATSF caboose to install board and lights. Any tips on how to separate the body of the caboose from the base? Thanks!
Offline BrandonVA  
#9 Posted : 20 August 2013 20:54:08(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Do you know if your caboose is one of the tin-plate style (such as Marklin #4777)? If so, I believe you remove the ladders and the roof will "slide" off.

-Brandon
Offline drbob01  
#10 Posted : 20 August 2013 21:52:14(UTC)
drbob01

Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
Do you know if your caboose is one of the tin-plate style (such as Marklin #4777)? If so, I believe you remove the ladders and the roof will "slide" off.

-Brandon

Yes, I believe it is the 4777. So I need to remove the ladders and the roof slides off? sounds "easy" but how do I remove the ladders??

Offline drbob01  
#11 Posted : 21 August 2013 01:00:15(UTC)
drbob01

Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post

-Brandon

Yes, I believe it is the 4777. So I need to remove the ladders and the roof slides off? sounds "easy" but how do I remove the ladders??

Well, you were right! I was able to take off the roof! Now I need to drill holes for marker lights and at the base to install the wires for the wipers. Much appreciate the help!
Offline BrandonVA  
#12 Posted : 21 August 2013 15:10:50(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   

Well, you were right! I was able to take off the roof! Now I need to drill holes for marker lights and at the base to install the wires for the wipers. Much appreciate the help!

Sorry not to have provided more detail, but looks like you got it. Looking forward to seeing photos of the finish product :)

-Brandon

Offline drbob01  
#13 Posted : 22 August 2013 22:37:24(UTC)
drbob01

Thanks Brandon! I have drilled the holes for the marker lights (2) and have installed them. I also drilled (with GREAT difficulty) the base of this all-metal caboose to pass the wires to the wiper and trucks and now waiting for the parts to install. Then I can put it back together and hopefully all will be done! The marker lights and overhead LEDs look awesome! I am thinking I will now install the same in the green caboose that was damaged from many falls onto tile floor. It is kindof back together and I would like to have it fitted the same as the ATSF caboose!
Thanks for getting me started! I will send a photo when it's done! :-)
Offline drbob01  
#14 Posted : 27 August 2013 19:30:53(UTC)
drbob01

Okay, so I thought I was almost done. Then I find out the voltage from Marklin AC track is too high for the Richmond board and leds! I measured the voltage as about 40 volts A/C. Is that right? Does that mean I can't use the board with the capacitor because of risk of destroying the capacitor? That's what I have been told by Jim, who owns Richmond Controls. Can anyone help?
Offline mjborelli  
#15 Posted : 04 March 2018 17:52:27(UTC)
mjborelli

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

Well, apart from John river6109 Offline having the audacity to post images of what appears to be an "Atlas China" product (what is the world coming to?) Flapper Flapper .....

Marklin do make a good variety of lighting kits, particularly for interior lighting, but we would need to know the item number of your particular Caboose to know if there is either one for that, or whether someone may be able to suggest a kit for a different item which could be adapted without too much trouble. Most of the kits are generally just the normal incandescent bulb and possibly a light diffuser but there is also a more universal interior lighting kit with LED's # 73400 which was discussed here at some length a few years back ...

https://www.marklin-user...spx?g=posts&m=192125

As for exterior led's, the quick and dirty way is to drill a couple of holes and fit led's into them - basically that's what Marklin did with the passenger coach rear lighting on a few models except they used plastic diffusers to bring the light to the hole and painted red on the very end. Simple but effective. If you want the side-mounted style of rear lighting you might look at cannibalising a box car which already has them, or look at another solution.

If you add a pickup shoe to the wagon, you'll introduce a small amount of extra drag, as well as considerations if you use any form of centre-rail detection for feedback. The alternative is current-conducting couplers.

Another method yet again is to simply make the whole thing self-contained and powered by a 9v battery (or smaller) which you just replace as and when required. You'll need a way to turn it on and off (or simply disconnect the battery), but you won't have to worry about any drag, flicker, tricky wiring etc.

Often with these things the easiest method is look for another item which already has the feature you want, and then see how it's done and if you can adapt it using orderable parts.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Regards

just obtained a small Marklin 546 caboose and was also wondering whether or not there might be a kit or accessories to install an LED light inside the caboose.