Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Danlake  
#1 Posted : 25 January 2017 09:33:20(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi all,

I stumbled into a few issues with some recent Roco AC trains trying to change address and general configurations.

First off I use Marklin CS2 60214. For track format I use Mfx/MM. When adding a new train to my database I always keep the layout empty and uses the programming track unless it's a mfx loco.

On my past Roco purchases I have always been able to change address and other speed configurations using the programming track and of course knowing the default MM address (normally 03).

On my recent purchase a DSB MY (58615) I was unable to change the address. So instead I decided to first try and change track format in CS 2 to DCC and then change the address on the programming track. This worked ok.

I then delete locomotive from my CS2 list and change back to Mfx/mm track format on CS 2 and I can control the loco well with the new address.

However when I now try to change e.g. max speed (on programming track), it does say it successfully read the data to decoder, but physically nothing has happened at all.

So iam wondering if iam doing something wrong here? Should I also change all cv settings in DCC format before switching over or is there any other solution?

What is the preferred method to change address on a Roco AC train and speed parameters?

PS: when I change any parameters while the train is on programming track (and data being read to decoder) and CS2 in DCC mode the engine makes really strange noises and try to move in small step...

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 25 January 2017 10:09:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Lasse,

I've had issues like this on recent Piko locos that understand both DCC and MM. I think the loco tries to respond to both protocols at the same time. My solution is to change the address in both DCC and MM. Then it seems to work OK, running smoothly and without any strange light effects. You can also choose to disable the unwanted protocol in the decoder or the controller. This will stop the decoder becoming confused.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 25 January 2017 13:09:15(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
PS: when I change any parameters while the train is on programming track (and data being read to decoder) and CS2 in DCC mode the engine makes really strange noises and try to move in small step...
When the controller reads CV values from the decoder, the decoder will activate the motor for a short period (several short pulses, depending on the CV value). Same thing happens when a CV is written (just one pulse). This is absolutely normal for DCC programming on a programming track.

Four CVs are used for the address of the loco and when you change the address, the CS2 has to read at least one CV to make sure everything is consistent.

For MM programming the CS2 supports the pattern developed by ESU.
This may not work for locos with decoders from Zimo (Roco) or Uhlenbrock (Piko, older Roco).

I strongly recommended using DCC to program and control locos that support DCC.
This way you also get more speed steps and more functions per loco.

I only use DCC addresses above 255 as problems may occur, as Ray mentioned, when addresses below 256 are used for both MM and DCC.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 25 January 2017 14:10:32(UTC)
H0

When adding a new train to my database I always keep the layout empty and uses the programming track unless it's a mfx loco.
There is no need to have the layout empty. The programming track should be empty except for the loco you want to program.

With DCC you can also use programming on the main. There will be no stuttering sound from the loco, you can do this on the main track which does not have to be empty, you can change any CV except the address.
With a CS2 you cannot read CVs with programming on the main.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Danlake  
#5 Posted : 25 January 2017 20:01:15(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Thanks for info guys,

As iam not quite ready to take the leap and run all my loco in DCC format, do you think it would be possible to configure the speed characteristics in DCC format using the CS2 and fine tune the engine as you like and then afterwards change back to mFx/mm format.

There is no decoder table in the manual so Iam not even sure what cv's to play around with - hence why I would prefer to configure using simple CS2 menu rather than having to access the actual cv menu and change the bit numbers.

Brgds Lasse

PS: it's probable a stupid question but I assume you can't have the CS2 in track format "auto" and then run silmountanous engines that are both in DCC and mFx/mm decoder format?
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 25 January 2017 21:26:05(UTC)
H0

but I assume you can't have the CS2 in track format "auto" and then run silmountanous engines that are both in DCC and mFx/mm decoder format?
There are no stupid questions.
The Auto setting allows you to use MM, mfx, and DCC simultaneously. That's its purpose.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 25 January 2017 21:59:26(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
but I assume you can't have the CS2 in track format "auto" and then run silmountanous engines that are both in DCC and mFx/mm decoder format?
There are no stupid questions.
The Auto setting allows you to use MM, mfx, and DCC simultaneously. That's its purpose.

But Märklin like others digital producer recommend you set one protocol for best communication with the digital system.
That´s way i only use DCC protocol which is fine for me and only use it.
Roco present Zimo sound decoder which there is DCC and MM protocol.
But they recommend one protocol to use and those who use Roco AC locomotives use DCC protocol.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 26 January 2017 08:15:02(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
But Märklin like others digital producer recommend you set one protocol for best communication with the digital system.
I cannot remember seeing that.
They recommend disabling protocols that are not in use.
But I do not recall statements where they recommend not to use all three protocols at the same time.
My Central Station also supports SX and theoretically I can use all four protocols at the same time.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Danlake  
#9 Posted : 06 April 2017 12:06:11(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi all,

So iam in progress of uploading my locos on my new CS3.

So far no issues with Mfx loco.

I have now started working on my non Marklin loco with dcc decoders and hope someone who is also using CS3 can assist.

To make everything simple I have no other locos on the tracks. The CS3 is set for only DCC and a Roco loco with Zimo decoder (MY 1107) is on the programming track.

I then go in edit mode and since I already know the address I can control it.

I want to change simple CV like max and min speed and acceleration and braking as well as the sound volume.

First questions:

On CS2 there was compulsory field to specify how many speed levels to use with the DCC decoders. Can't find that option on CS3?

When changing the above settings do you use the menu setup or the menu configuration? Assume you would have to use the configuration menu but is the simpler setup menu also meant to work for DCC (or only for MM and mfx)?

When I try to change the CV in configuration and add new CV (like total sound volume) nothing happens when I click write to programming track?

On CS2 it was quite apparent when you would start writing to decoder - on CS3 it's a bit more unknown as when you are configuring mfx it will immediately save the settings?

When configuring CV there is some quite complicated CV like no.29. At the moment the loco is working fine and don't really want to change anything on CV29. When you create a new DCC loco it's automatically created on the default list. Can you just leave it blank or will it then overwrite any previous setting? Or can you just remove it from the configuration list.

Is there no option to load all the present CV settings as received from new to the configuration list or do you always have to create you own list based on documentation from the manufacture? Or will the function read address also retrieve all the CV present CV values.

Brgds Lasse
Offline Jabez  
#10 Posted : 07 April 2017 02:50:24(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Hi all,

I stumbled into a few issues with some recent Roco AC trains trying to change address and general configurations.

Sorry I can't help you on the CS3 configuration question, but since you have experience with Roco AC locos may I ask you a question, or anyone else who has such locos.
I have just bought a Roco AC steamer (68149) and was surprised to read in the instructions, way before you get round to configuring or registering it with your controller, that to set it up for digital operation you have to dismantle the tender, remove a bridge piece, and plug the decoder or chip into some other internal socket. This seems odd since it is sold as a digital/AC loco with sound and I would expect it to be configured that way before it was put in the box. Have you come across this requirement to set up Roco digital locos for digital operation, or is this instruction redundant?
Thanks for any info you can supply.
Jabez.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline Danlake  
#11 Posted : 07 April 2017 06:29:14(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Jabez,

I have not come across such requirements on any of my Roco locomotives and surprised any newer locomotives would be fitted in that way.

Brgds Lasse
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 07 April 2017 07:31:24(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
I have just bought a Roco AC steamer (68149) and was surprised to read in the instructions, way before you get round to configuring or registering it with your controller, that to set it up for digital operation you have to dismantle the tender, remove a bridge piece, and plug the decoder or chip into some other internal socket.
Roco are still selling analogue locos - and that part of the instructions applies to analogue locos only, ignore it for "AC" locos or digital "DC" locos.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 07 April 2017 07:43:26(UTC)
H0

To make everything simple I have no other locos on the tracks.
To make things simple, just remove all decoders from the programming track. Locos and accessory decoders on the main track do not have to be removed.

I know how to do it with a CS2 (and you also already know that). Process should be somewhat similar with a CS3.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Danlake  
#14 Posted : 07 April 2017 09:29:40(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Tom,

Thanks for reply.

Before I continue my investigation, just one short question. If I don't want to configure a CV, like e.g. 29, can I remove it from the default template in configuration list to ensure when I write new CV to decoders I only write those I want to be updated?

Per default cv 29 is included in any new loco you are trying to edit but the bit is of course just 0 as the central station doesn't know what the cv is yet.

DCC is still new for me and still not clear if you are supposed to first read all CV to your central station and then perform the changes or if the concept is that you only make a list of CV you wish to change and then write these to the decoders? And the CV you want to change you of course have to consult the decoder manual as there is no graphical or txt explanation like with Mfx in the menu on the central station.

Brgds Lasse
Offline Danlake  
#15 Posted : 07 April 2017 11:51:15(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi all,

I have now been digging deeper into CS3 and writing CV to both DCC and MM.

Either I got a faulty CS3 or there is some serious software issues (iam using the latest available update).

In CS3 there is 2 menus. The setup where you can enter min/max speed etc and the configuration menu where you can see the corresponding CV.

I just played around with a Roco locomotive with MM format on the programming track and this what I have observed so far:

Sometimes it will not accept a CV value that has been used previously. Only after several attempts and exiting the edit menu can you succeed.

On one loco I could not increase max speed in interval more than 20. If you write e.g. 255 from an old value of 150 it will not accept. Similiar when you try and go from a high to low value, if the jump is to high it wont update the values.

The configuration page will say CV read error (the light will flash ok) after writing to programming track, but after exiting the edit menu and going back into configuration list all CV has been updated (target and actual) to what you were trying to program.

Occasional the max speed will go to 0 in setup page while in configuration list it will keep the old actual values.

There is something very fishy going on and I feel I better keep my project on hold until a new software updates comes along. But of course interested in hearing from other CS3 users that have tried CV programming with either DCC or MM format (non Mfx format).

Ps: feel free to copy above observation into other post regarding CS3 issues if other users can confirm similiar problem.

Brgds Lasse

Ps. A so far disappointed CS3 usersMad

Edited by user 07 April 2017 20:36:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline eroncelli  
#16 Posted : 18 April 2017 11:25:30(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
A common solution to many of these problem is to set OFF the DCC mode on the decoders (or, in general, set each decoder for one protocol only and disable the other 2).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by eroncelli
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 18 April 2017 15:12:06(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: eroncelli Go to Quoted Post
A common solution to many of these problem is to set OFF the DCC mode on the decoders [...]
With Uhlenbrock decoders I keep DCC on and set all other protocols off.
Using DCC addresses > 255 practically disables other protocols like MM or SX with modern ESU decoders anyway.

Your general advice is good: it can help to have only one active protocol in the decoder.
But often this is not needed if you avoid having duplicate addresses.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#18 Posted : 12 January 2018 02:36:43(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Perhaps this thread is inactive, but I'm in a similar situation here as a new owner of a new Roco locomotive and a CS3. I have DCC disabled on the CS3, I am using MM address 03 as it came out of the box, and when I put the Roco on the programming track, I am unable to access a number of the functions, e.g., engine light, various sounds, and unable to adjust volume. So, my fear is that I have to learn something about DCC and adjusting CV values. The loco runs fine otherwise, but I'm limited to only a relative few functions and am unable to adjust volume, speed, brakes, etc.

I am also using iTrain and fooling around with TrainController. They will permit controlling only F1 through F3, and my assumption is that this is because of something with the CS3.

It shouldn't be this hard! I feel as if I must be missing something obvious, otherwise this must be something like Microsoft vs Apple, where one makes it hard to work with the other.

Can anyone help or provide a pointer to more information?

Gratefully, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline mike c  
#19 Posted : 12 January 2018 03:44:28(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
A new Roco locomotive most likely has a Zimo decoder. I don't know how easily they can be modified using a CS3. I think that in Motorola format, you can access F0-F4 in basic mode and F5-F8 if you activate the second Motorola address function.

If you have a MFX decoder, you may be able to access F0-F8 directly.

The Roco locomotive decoder manual should list the functions and CV values. I know my Re 4/4IIs do not let you choose the Swiss light changeover in MM mode. You have to be able to access extended functions for that.

On my Roco ICN, I enabled the second Motorola address and it scrambled the functions, so I am getting the wrong announcements for some functions. I hope that it will reset when I disactivate that mode or I will have to do a complete decoder reset.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline PMPeter  
#20 Posted : 12 January 2018 04:42:48(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: johnpatrickwack Go to Quoted Post
Perhaps this thread is inactive, but I'm in a similar situation here as a new owner of a new Roco locomotive and a CS3. I have DCC disabled on the CS3, I am using MM address 03 as it came out of the box, and when I put the Roco on the programming track, I am unable to access a number of the functions, e.g., engine light, various sounds, and unable to adjust volume. So, my fear is that I have to learn something about DCC and adjusting CV values. The loco runs fine otherwise, but I'm limited to only a relative few functions and am unable to adjust volume, speed, brakes, etc.

I am also using iTrain and fooling around with TrainController. They will permit controlling only F1 through F3, and my assumption is that this is because of something with the CS3.

It shouldn't be this hard! I feel as if I must be missing something obvious, otherwise this must be something like Microsoft vs Apple, where one makes it hard to work with the other.

Can anyone help or provide a pointer to more information?

Gratefully, John

I guess my question is why do you have DCC disabled? While I do not have a CS3, I do have a CS2 and a Roco Railjet locomotive. In my case when I tried to register it in MM I only got a few functions. Once I deleted that and reregistered it in DCC, I got all the functions.

I assume the CS3 is more advanced than the CS2 and you will probably find the same if you reregister it in DCC.

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline H0  
#21 Posted : 12 January 2018 08:37:20(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: johnpatrickwack Go to Quoted Post
I have DCC disabled on the CS3, I am using MM address 03 as it came out of the box, and when I put the Roco on the programming track, I am unable to access a number of the functions
MM supports 5 functions per address, DCC supports 16383 functions per address.
There is no "official" procedure for loco programming with MM protocol, there is an NMRA standard for DCC programming.

I'm with Peter here: Why is DCC disabled? DCC would be the solution, MM is the problem.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline mike c  
#22 Posted : 13 January 2018 17:10:42(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
On your controller, you can set the preference/priorities. I recommend that you set it to mfx/dcc/mm. This way, it gives priority to mfx. If no mfx, it checks dcc and if no dcc, it switches to MM.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline H0  
#23 Posted : 13 January 2018 18:22:22(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
On your controller, you can set the preference/priorities. I recommend that you set it to mfx/dcc/mm. This way, it gives priority to mfx. If no mfx, it checks dcc and if no dcc, it switches to MM.
On the controller you specify which protocols are active. But the priorities of the protocols are defined by the decoders. And ESU decoders have other priorities than Märklin decoders.

Most non-Märklin decoders give the same priority to MM and DCC. And you get erratic behaviour if a single address is registered in the controller for both protocols and there are decoders with that address that obey both protocols.

Many decoders allow to disable specific protocols.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#24 Posted : 24 January 2018 04:20:22(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
A belated thank you to all who replied to my (very frustrated) request for help. Things with the Roco locomotive, DCC, and the Marklin CS3 are now working.

The problem appears to have been the CS3. After installing a new update, I noticed the Roco's headlight was on, and magically the loco started to respond to various functions and actually move, using DCC.

However, subsequently updating some of the loco's CV values was an interesting exercise. When I would go to add a new CV (I had to do this to adjust the volume or maximize the brightness of the headlight), the CS3 would also reset CV 29 to 0, and I didn't notice this for a while. The effect of 29=0 was that the headlights would flash strangely - CVs 17 and 18 changed as well, and i couldn't figure out why. When I finally realized what was happening, I had to reset CV 29 from 0 to the proper value before ending each programming session. As well, the next time I would go to program the CV values again, none of the new CVs created would get read in, which meant that everytime I wanted to adjust the volume or acceleration, etc., I would have to re-add the new CVs that I created. I even created a template with these new CVs added, but this didn't help. So, I think the CS3 needs another update to make its CV programming work as one would expect.

Many lessons learned here. Thank you all again for the help!

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline Torbjorn  
#25 Posted : 19 February 2018 18:19:45(UTC)
Torbjorn

I am also using Märklin's CS2 to program and control all my trains, including all the newly bought 2R DCC models. However, after updating my CS2, a lot of functions have gone away, I can not program sucessfully, and trains move by themselves. Some of the menus in the CS2 are now in German. The first update was via USB-stick. I did a second update via ethernet-cable. It helped a little, but some menus are still in German, and I can not change addresses or adjust sound volume. Oj, oj.
Offline leistef  
#26 Posted : 19 February 2018 18:45:35(UTC)
leistef

United States   
What platform are you on?