Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ross  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2018 21:48:49(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hello All,

I have just been informed that the turntable and associated items are no longer produced Sad Does anyone know why and if there will be a replacement?

I have looked at the Marklin site and they are all listed as no longer produced.

Has the agreement with Marklin and Fleischmann as a joint project for these items finished?

I have also look on the Fleischmann site and the 2 rail version is still avaliable. The 3 rail versions 6652 and 6653 are not listed but if the agreement with Marklin has ended I wonder if they will produce under the Fleischmann brand once more?

Maybe some of our German users can ask Marklin what is going onConfused
Ross
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2018 22:21:02(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I would imagine if they cancelled those products it would be because a replacement model is not far away (and likely C track)

I better get in and order my missing 7287 while I can still get one.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2018 23:20:29(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I think this may have been discussed in the forum previously - it's been roughly 6 months (maybe more) since they withdrew the 7286 turntable.

I suspect it is being replaced with something else, but will have to check the forum to see if I can find the previous discussion.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2018 23:24:42(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Found it, not that there's much info there.

https://www.marklin-user...ts/t39149-Turntable-7286
Offline Ross  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2018 23:49:13(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Thanks Dave,

I missed this topic. My concern is if people make a commitment to a track system then components disappear people will get frustrated and chose another brand. Adapter tracks are not the answer.

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Found it, not that there's much info there.

https://www.marklin-user...ts/t39149-Turntable-7286

Ross
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2018 23:53:46(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yes, it is a bit poor when stuff is withdrawn with no info on what will replace it. Makes it hard for people to plan ahead.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 13 February 2018 00:09:17(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
It could be that whatever replaces it could be adaptable to either track system

Think in terms of the 7286 with its movable tracks, why didn't they adapt it by making track inserts that would work with C track instead of K track? OK the turntable would need to sit a bit higher to get the railhead at the right height when using C track, but that is a solvable problem.

Maybe this is exactly what they are doing, making a turntable with adjustable height above the baseboard. Then a kit with C track pieces or another kit with K track pieces. The other thing that is badly needed was a better system for digital control, the decoder offered had some major problems to set it up and it lost track of where the turntable tracks are when left powered off for an extended period.

And the major item missing from the C track range is a turntable ...

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Markus Schild  
#8 Posted : 13 February 2018 10:11:04(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

The first semi-official announcement of a new turntable can be found in the MÄRKLIN-MAGAZIN 04/2013 p 116 where Mr. Grässle (product-manager) announces a C-track turntable for the later future. That's five years ago. How long did it took to develop the Apollo-capsule?

Regards

Markus
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 13 February 2018 11:01:44(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
How long did it took to develop the Apollo-capsule?

From President John F Kennedy's 'We Choose to go to the Moon' speech at Rice University on September 12, 1962 to the first moon landing on July 20, 1969 was less than 7 years.

On January 10, 1962, NASA announced plans to build the C-5 rocket, which eventually became known as the Saturn V. Obviously it had been developed by the Marshal Space Flight Center before that, but it is probably fair to say that 10 years would cover the entire moon landing program.

Surely Marklin should then be able to develop a simple C track turntable in 5 years.....
Online xxup  
#10 Posted : 13 February 2018 11:37:44(UTC)
xxup

Australia   

Surely Marklin should then be able to develop a simple C track turntable in 5 years.....

Nup.. That's why they partnered with Fleischmann last time.. It's a strengths and weaknesses thing and turntables are not one of Marklin's strengths..

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 13 February 2018 12:24:05(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Never mind about the turntable what about the sleek electrically operated C-track double switch., I can't see they ever produce one, its been so long, starter sets include simple track layouts and only Märklin would know the ratio of sales between locos, carriages and turnouts.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline MaerklinLife  
#12 Posted : 13 February 2018 13:15:32(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Does Märklin have all the money in the world and an agenda to beat the Russians at whatever the cost?

No? Oh okay, that is probably why it has taken this long...

With regards to the track system. K-track is dead. I am sure of it. C-track is Märklins future.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 13 February 2018 13:20:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

From President John F Kennedy's 'We Choose to go to the Moon' speech at Rice University on September 12, 1962 to the first moon landing on July 20, 1969 was less than 7 years.

On January 10, 1962, NASA announced plans to build the C-5 rocket, which eventually became known as the Saturn V. Obviously it had been developed by the Marshal Space Flight Center before that, but it is probably fair to say that 10 years would cover the entire moon landing program.

Judging by some of the projects around here that is a blink of the eye ...

Double digit years are not uncommon in the space industry. But the prime one for getting organised, done and dusted and on time must go to the Voyager probes. If they were not on time the conjunction of planets that allowed the flypast of so many of them was not going to happen for an awfully long time. That project set up the investigative plans for so many subsequent missions right through to the present day.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline steventrain  
#14 Posted : 13 February 2018 18:16:51(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Some 7286 on ebay.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Minok  
#15 Posted : 13 February 2018 20:45:57(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The usual process when a product is replaced is to first discontinue the old, let the supply drain from the market and then introduce the new to ensure there is enough demand to sell a substantial amount of the new supply. The old turntable was still M-track based, if I recall, which is outdated by what 20 years or more? IF the new turntable is done right, it should be a joint venture with folks that already have the established skill (may still be Fleischman/Roco) and design it to between companies (they have to start cooperating to survive) so that they get a 90% common solution with small changes to customize to your brand's needs. Eg the common system where Marklin c/k track end modular parts can be fitted/swapped. But who knows what they will really due. To not have a turn table at all and put out lots of steam locos makes no sense, so a new turntable has to be on the near horizon.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Markus Schild  
#16 Posted : 13 February 2018 21:08:09(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
The old turntable was still M-track based, if I recall, which is outdated by what 20 years or more?

Hi,

The turntable 7286 which is discussed here was designed for K-track.

Regards

Markus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Ross  
#17 Posted : 13 February 2018 22:03:26(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hello Alan/All,

What you suggest is a nice idea but will it happen? Time will tell.

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
It could be that whatever replaces it could be adaptable to either track system

Think in terms of the 7286 with its movable tracks, why didn't they adapt it by making track inserts that would work with C track instead of K track? OK the turntable would need to sit a bit higher to get the railhead at the right height when using C track, but that is a solvable problem.

Maybe this is exactly what they are doing, making a turntable with adjustable height above the baseboard. Then a kit with C track pieces or another kit with K track pieces. The other thing that is badly needed was a better system for digital control, the decoder offered had some major problems to set it up and it lost track of where the turntable tracks are when left powered off for an extended period.

And the major item missing from the C track range is a turntable ...

Ross
Offline Ross  
#18 Posted : 13 February 2018 22:09:15(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Thomas/All,

To kill off the 7287 stub tracks at the same time as the turntable is terrible because some people will have the turntable and in their planning what further stub tracks. The method Marklin wants is for your to invest in the "New" turntable.

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
The usual process when a product is replaced is to first discontinue the old, let the supply drain from the market and then introduce the new to ensure there is enough demand to sell a substantial amount of the new supply. The old turntable was still M-track based, if I recall, which is outdated by what 20 years or more? IF the new turntable is done right, it should be a joint venture with folks that already have the established skill (may still be Fleischman/Roco) and design it to between companies (they have to start cooperating to survive) so that they get a 90% common solution with small changes to customize to your brand's needs. Eg the common system where Marklin c/k track end modular parts can be fitted/swapped. But who knows what they will really due. To not have a turn table at all and put out lots of steam locos makes no sense, so a new turntable has to be on the near horizon.

Ross
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ross
Offline hxmiesa  
#19 Posted : 15 February 2018 13:13:46(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
To kill off the 7287 stub tracks at the same time as the turntable is terrible because some people will have the turntable and in their planning what further stub tracks. The method Marklin wants is for your to invest in the "New" turntable.

Right! I already have the turntable, but will need some additional connection-tracks.

I am sure they will be available from Ebay in any forseeable future. Also the Fleishmann version of the tracks should be compatible I GUESS?!
As a last resort I imagine you can modifify some of the "blind" stub tracks to work as a connection-track. -Should not be a problem on a permanent layout.

But yes; Märklin does not seem to care for the earlier owners of the turntable...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Goofy  
#20 Posted : 15 February 2018 19:36:49(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post

With regards to the track system. K-track is dead. I am sure of it. C-track is Märklins future.

No K-tracks are not dead.
Possible to change it.
K-tracks has been in same shape for past 40 years.
It´s time for Märklin to present new K-tracks.
The king is dead. Long live the new King...RollEyes

By the way...there has been sometimes trouble shoot by use Märklins turntable 7286.
Even worse with the turntable decoder.
Märklinist knows it.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#21 Posted : 15 February 2018 21:10:31(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Dear forum readers, please keep in mind that there has been no announcement from Märklin re new K tracks. The above comment is just normal wild speculation from Goofy and should be treated as such.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Goofy  
#22 Posted : 15 February 2018 21:46:47(UTC)
Goofy

Dear forum readers, please keep in mind that there has been no announcement from Märklin re new K tracks. The above comment is just normal wild speculation from Goofy and should be treated as such.

DID I PRESENT ANNOUNCEMENT FROM MÄRKLIN???
IT WAS AN WISHING FROM AN FORUM MEMBER.
IT´S ALLOWED BY WISHING.
WILD SPECULATION?
IT´S YOUR SPECULATION BY TREATED AGAINST FORUM MEMBER.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline applor  
#23 Posted : 15 February 2018 22:46:13(UTC)
applor

Australia   
There is no reason why Marklin would replace the K track program as there would be little benefit.

Expanding on the K track program would be a great idea, so many missing track pieces.
They should make design modifications to the turnout mechanism though.

Really though if the K track program does not meet ones requirement, the best alternative is to use any other 2 rail track and add the centre stud which can also be bought in strips.

Replacing the turntable with a C track version might look a bit odd though, since the turntable would be 5mm too high compared to its surroundings.
While you can get away with a ballast profile in most areas that shouldn't have it, it would stand out more so for a turntable.

Also, the 7287 is not even listed on MSL and a number of other online shops...
Looks like I'll have to buy it at inflated prices, though at least they are available.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline David Dewar  
#24 Posted : 15 February 2018 23:13:29(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Maybe Marklin should give Faller a length of C track and tell them to make a turntable. Considering what they do with their funfair stuff I am sure it would not be difficult.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#25 Posted : 15 February 2018 23:25:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
DID I......

Please do not shout!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline ROBMODEL  
#26 Posted : 17 February 2018 17:04:48(UTC)
ROBMODEL

Netherlands   
In the dutch RAILHOBBY Neurenbergspecial Huub van den Burg from the dutch M importer says a digital turntable will come out at the end
of this year. He does not give any further details. Rob
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ROBMODEL