Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Thewolf  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2018 20:29:16(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi everyone Cool

I will ask a question, but I sincerely doubt that the answers will be honest and sincere.

This question will play on male pride, the macho side.

Some will play the game, others will prefer to lie rather than say;"Well, yeah, I've had some losses" They'll say:"I don't have any problems, I cut rails in a proprotion of six to a dozen at breakfast and they work". blabla bla . A guy tells me that. I think on myself : "Okay, man, good for you. Stop your bullshit, man... to others but not to me.''Cool

Here's my question:"How much of the track you cut through the small C-track bridges is working? Ten out of ten? 1 in 10? Eight out of ten?

I for the moment have a proportion of 8 out of 10 that work.

So a 20% loss. It's expensive to pay for the C-track Wheel Detection system.

On the temporary layout I can accept the loss. On the other hand, in 2 years' time it is not a question.

It will be a priority for me to find another way

Thewolf

Edited by moderator 17 February 2018 04:14:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2018 22:06:03(UTC)
Webmaster

Do you mean straight cuts through the whole rail piece, or just "contact track" cuts - ie just cutting the one of metal rails/end tongues of the C-track?

I think your question needs more clarification, at least to me who has not used C-track other than on my son's layout many years ago where we used the small red plastic pieces to make isolated sections...
Or I did just read the question completely wrong... Smile
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Thewolf  
#3 Posted : 16 February 2018 22:20:25(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Do you mean straight cuts through the whole rail piece, or just "contact track" cuts - ie just cutting the one of metal rails/end tongues of the C-track?

I think your question needs more clarification, at least to me who has not used C-track other than on my son's layout many years ago where we used the small red plastic pieces to make isolated sections...
Or I did just read the question completely wrong... Smile

Hi JuhanCool

Well, you're right. The question was unclear. I was talking about the small bridges at the O terminals of the C rails.

Anyway, the question can be forgotten. The proportion can be 100% if the correct cutting method is found. I've got it.

Offline Purellum  
#4 Posted : 16 February 2018 23:27:08(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
The proportion can be 100% if the correct cutting method is found.

And the right tools. Don't use a "normal" big side-cutter; use a small and very sharp side-cutter.

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Thewolf  
#5 Posted : 16 February 2018 23:33:17(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
The proportion can be 100% if the correct cutting method is found.

And the right tools. Don't use a "normal" big side-cutter; use a small and very sharp side-cutter.

Per.

Cool

exactly Cool

Personally now I know that my distraction can make me lose the reflex of the right method.

With me, it's inevitable.

Thewolf

Offline French_Fabrice  
#6 Posted : 16 February 2018 23:39:56(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello Serge,

Well, when driving a layout with a computer, most of the time there is NO need to cut many tracks in order to manage automation, if you use the contact track method.

As already explained in other threads, having the full length of a block monitored by cutting ALL "0" bridge of the tracks of the block is useless.
The usual rule is to have 2 "contact" zones for a block: one at the beginning in order to detect the entrance, and the other at the end to stop the loco if needed. It is enough for the software to manage safely your trains.

Here is a small case study of a fictitious layout.
UserPostedImage

All various colors correspond to a different block (blocks have names, B-1, B-2, ... for plain tracks, and SB-1, SB-2... for siding blocks).
Each block has these 2 "contact" zones at the beginning and end of the block. Each "contact" zone is shown with a red line inside. All blocks are bi-directional.

As you can see, I'm very far of 100% of tracks having their "0" bridge cut. The 14 plain tracks blocks have a total of 28 track pieces cut. The whole layout has 140 pieces of track (including switches).

The real question is for the sidings: One contact zone (whole block) or 2 contact zones (begin, end) ?
I'm still unsure on that point. It mostly depends on the capabilities on the software, and the way you want to play.

As an example, SB-1 & SB-2 have 2 "contact" zones each, and SB-3 & SB-4 have 1 whole "contact" zone each (5 contact zones per block).

And finally, if you cut the "0" bridges of too much track pieces, it is not definitive if you cut the "0" bridges cleanly. You have to put back a drop of solder on the previously cut bridges, and that's it. I agree it can be a little tricky, but it's not impossible.

Have fun
Fabrice
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 17 February 2018 00:07:41(UTC)
Minok

United States   
OK a picture or two of the "wrong way" and "what worked/right way" would be very valuable here, because I'm a bit confused on what we are talking about here - and for clarity/completeness for myself and others who end up here in the future from a google search, I'd like to be sure I understand whats going on.

I assumed your were talking about doing a good job at cutting one of the rails without destroying the c-track segment in order to manufacture a detection segment in a track.

Can you show what you had done where you felt the track piece was destroyed ( no success) vs where its now working (success)?
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline PMPeter  
#8 Posted : 17 February 2018 03:57:58(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
They're not actually talking about cutting the rail but the O "bridges" below the track that connect one rail to the other. These are very close together and also close to the B bridges. So once you cut them you need to make sure the cuts are clean and that the cut pieces are slightly spread away from each other. Even on the Maerklin produced contact tracks it is sometimes necessary to ensure the cut pieces are separated properly.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline pederbc  
#9 Posted : 17 February 2018 13:32:09(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
I prefer to cut all track pieces as it gives detection over the full lenght and thus can detect lost cars as well. For all ”full lenght” blocks I connect one track piece on each end of the block as enter/exit detection and the rest of the middle pieces as one detection. This will use 3 S88 inputs.

/Peder
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pederbc