Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline QQQ1970  
#1 Posted : 08 February 2018 16:56:01(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Is this going fast? What are the attractions besides the obvious?
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#2 Posted : 08 February 2018 18:16:24(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
It's nice, but a little too steep price-wise for me. I'll just stick with my 4228 set and the 37184 to pull it for now.
Offline midwestbls  
#3 Posted : 08 February 2018 19:43:21(UTC)
midwestbls

United States   
Agreed, it's beautiful. I've always liked the old-time "purple" Rheingold, but it's way outside my ERA III/IV and S. Germany/Switzerland focus. I'm thrilled with the new "SBB TEE Rheingold" set I just got. BEAUTIFUL set, new-production cream/blue cars with factory lighting and a TEE-badged green SBB Re 4/4 I. Perfect way to add to what has become a TEE collection AND have some of that famed Rheingold too!
ETE - Swiss Era III - BLS - Brig Station
Offline QQQ1970  
#4 Posted : 09 February 2018 04:30:24(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Like you, I struggled as well my planned layout is era 3/4. I never own Rheinhold in my 40 years of model railroading. That said, product description suggests there is a sound decoder in the baggage car without elaborating what sound functions comes with it. Anyone has an idea?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 09 February 2018 09:12:49(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: QQQ1970 Go to Quoted Post
Is this going fast?

I assume by that you mean is the Rheingold set selling fast, as opposed to does it go fast.....??

The set is sold out at the factory, and it was sold out only a few days after the 2018 new items were announced, being as it was limited to 2999 sets. Likewise, the Trix equivalent set, 21928 is also sold out at the factory.

You might be limited to paying a higher price for one off ebay, or hope you find a dealer with one spare.

As was discussed in the Brawa 2018 new items thread, Brawa are also releasing a similar Rheingold train, which might be an alternate option.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 09 February 2018 09:19:38(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: midwestbls Go to Quoted Post
I'm thrilled with the new "SBB TEE Rheingold" set I just got. BEAUTIFUL set, new-production cream/blue cars with factory lighting and a TEE-badged green SBB Re 4/4 I. Perfect way to add to what has become a TEE collection AND have some of that famed Rheingold too!

A picture of my SBB TEE Rheingold set, which I previously posted in the 2017 Show us your locomotives thread.

20171217_173915.jpg
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline QQQ1970  
#7 Posted : 09 February 2018 14:22:47(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Yes I mean selling fast.

My preferred dealer has 4 allotted and all gone. Another local dealer is also sold out although he didn't disclose how many units he got. I guess he has 2 at most.

Initially I wasn't planning to get Rheingold for reasons mentioned above, until I note the description suggests a sound decoder in baggage car which makes the set appealing. However there is no mention of what sound functions come with it so it is cryptic. If it resembles the previous baggage car with sound functions, then the value proposition is not that bad after all.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by QQQ1970
Offline QQQ1970  
#8 Posted : 11 February 2018 08:24:54(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Btw, previously issued era 2 Rheingold train set tends to have two baggage cars at each end. Why there is only one baggage car in this set? Is it prototypical?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 11 February 2018 09:35:19(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Btw, previously issued era 2 Rheingold train set tends to have two baggage cars at each end. Why there is only one baggage car in this set? Is it prototypical?

You obviously missed the conversation........Wink

https://www.marklin-user...879-Brawa-New-Items-2018 - Post #13 onwards
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline QQQ1970  
#10 Posted : 11 February 2018 16:41:09(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Thanks. Good to know 5 car set is also prototypical until Mannheim when change in direction brings a second baggage car behind the loco. How can I get the second baggage car if I want to? Only used in secondary market?

In any case I hope the set comes in a nice packaging fitting for the occasion.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 11 February 2018 20:03:29(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
How can I get the second baggage car if I want to? Only used in secondary market?

In the thread referenced above, I said I have the 41928 Rheingold coach set sold by Marklin several years ago. At the time Brawa brought out the 2nd baggage car, and they did that 2 years running.

You might be able to get hold of just the Brawa baggage car from this year's train, other than that you would have to look 2nd hand.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#12 Posted : 12 February 2018 15:16:34(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
How can I get the second baggage car if I want to? Only used in secondary market?

In the thread referenced above, I said I have the 41928 Rheingold coach set sold by Marklin several years ago. At the time Brawa brought out the 2nd baggage car, and they did that 2 years running.

You might be able to get hold of just the Brawa baggage car from this year's train, other than that you would have to look 2nd hand.

Hi Bigdaddynz, all,

This one would be a perfect addition: https://www.brawa.de/pro...pw4ue-rheingold-der-drg/
Many stores still have this one available in stock, the colour matches nicely to the earlier Märklin set 41928.

Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Sander van Wijk
Online mbarreto  
#13 Posted : 13 February 2018 20:29:37(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Hi all,

I most probably will keep myself in the heresy I am living now: I have the 41928 pulled by the BR 18.5 Ep. III Insider 39030.
The coaches doesn't have not the "Rheingold" word in the sides because they pretend to be a slightly earlier version of the train, and the locomotive has white lettering, the DB symbol and some more signalling indicating high voltage.
It isn't so prototypical and the train is not limited edition, etc.
This said, it doesn't look much different and is already here for some years :)

Of course I would like to have also the new one, but I prefer spend in something different like the new BR45. I have only 2 BR45s (probably I will sell the 37452)...

As you see the situation is similar for the new Rheingold and the BR45s and the argument I used for the Rheingold I am not using for the BR45 because I can't resist the BR45 with the white stripes, even with a motor that I am not sure about its future. Human kind has these things...

Miguel

Edited by user 14 February 2018 10:21:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline QQQ1970  
#14 Posted : 13 February 2018 21:55:15(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
I don't have Rheingold so one fewer issue to worry about.

My struggle is more about era period when my planned layout is era 3.
Offline jvuye  
#15 Posted : 13 February 2018 23:02:41(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
I don't have Rheingold so one fewer issue to worry about.

My struggle is more about era period when my planned layout is era 3.

I know I'm going a bit off subject, but....please allow me!

Era III wil cover immediate post WW II up to the first years of the TEE era.

It is also the period with the widest variations in colors and equipment, so you're in luck!

So, up to the end of the 1950's, you have the "pre-TEE" Rheingold train made of repainted pre WW II coaches, with essentially "Skirted" coaches, repainted in the dark Blue early DB colours, with a red DSG restaurant car.

Locos would be BR 18.4 or 19.5, BR 01, BR 03 and 03.10 and even double traction BR 38+BR01 when the composition was very heavy.
I even have seen pictures of the new BR 23 steam locos pulling the train in the 1952-55 era

In the late 1950's period, the modern 26,4 m coaches were introduced (in uniform blue colors, marking the first class only status of the train) ) with electric traction (Blue E10s) on most of the itinerary , and with V200 diesels on the remaining non electrified sections.

The "New Rheingold" in 1962 introduced the modern "skirted" 26.4 m coaches (models for the subsequent DB TEE coaches) and further dedicated electric traction in 1962 (E 10.12, Vmax 160 km/h)
Those originally had the cream/dark blue livery (with a green Re 4/4 I and a TEE sign for the Swiss segment).

Later on, they received the standard cream/red TEE colors with now similarly painted SBB Re 4/4 I locos pulling the train between Basel and Geneva

In short you have a very wide choice for ERA III Rheingold consist: steam, diesel, electric traction, and pre and post WW II coaches in various liveries.

ERA III si also my favorite period, and the Rheingold one of my favorite trains.

Good news is that you can have them all on your layout!

For complete info on this legendary train, I strongly recommend the EK Verlag book "Rheingold , Legende auf Schienen" by Peter Goette: https://www.eisenbahn-ku.../flippingbook/book/87/87

Have fun!

Jacques

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline QQQ1970  
#16 Posted : 14 February 2018 01:18:04(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Thanks for the educational info.

While Rheingold train has operated in various forms for over 50 years, I am not sure the original cream / blue livery survived after WW2 in scheduled service and that is my dilemma.

If someone can prove me wrong I'll be very happy.
Offline QQQ1970  
#17 Posted : 14 February 2018 03:09:56(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Like you, I struggled as well my planned layout is era 3/4. I never own Rheinhold in my 40 years of model railroading. That said, product description suggests there is a sound decoder in the baggage car without elaborating what sound functions comes with it. Anyone has an idea?

Just re-read 2018 New Items pdf and finally notice the baggage car decoder comes with 13 functions of which 11 are sound. Not bad!!!
Offline jvuye  
#18 Posted : 14 February 2018 22:46:04(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

While Rheingold train has operated in various forms for over 50 years, I am not sure the original cream / blue livery survived after WW2 in scheduled service and that is my dilemma.

Unfortunately, I don't think the coaches Violet-Blue/ cream heavy coaches from the pre WW II era operated as such after the war in regular commercial service..

HOWEVER! (Sorry for the shouting...but this is good news for you Laugh Wink ) : there are in theory enough preserved pre WW II coaches to make up for a complete set.

A complete set is in care of the Freundeskreis Eisenbahn Köln which operates them regularly.

So you're in luck: You can run the pre ww II set, pretending it's the restored Rheingold consist.

Pick any credible steam or electric and you can move in the Historic train operation.

I run mine with a BR 03, BR O1 and for electrics an E18, E17 and E 04.

Again, that book I mentionned yesterday has all the info!

Very cool!

Hope this helps!

Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 01 March 2018 21:08:01(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Good to know 5 car set is also prototypical until Mannheim when change in direction brings a second baggage car behind the loco.
The train shown on pages 52/53 in the new items brochure needs some minor adjustments to make it prototypical.

Prototypical train north of Mannheim:
1. The loco.
2. The baggage car.
3. Second-class coach without kitchen.
4. First-class coach with kitchen.
5. First-class coach without kitchen.
6. Second class coach with kitchen.
One kitchen served two coaches, so in an ideal train the kitchen is towards the other coach it also serves.

The catalogue picture:
1. Loco.
2. Second-class coach with kitchen.
3. First-class coach with kitchen.
4. First-class coach without kitchen.
5. Second-class coach without kitchen.
6. Baggage car.

The picture in the new items brochure is a nice start for a shunting puzzle. Don't forget a turntable or a wye.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline applor  
#20 Posted : 01 March 2018 22:48:24(UTC)
applor

Australia   

Yes that's right, after the war the Rheingold was run from 1951 as a steel blue F-Train with skirted Schürzenwagen and 'Deutsche Bundesbahn' lettering on the coaches with.

http://www.heinrich-hank.../rheingold_1951-1962.htm

http://www.welt-der-mode...senbahnstiftung_orig.jpg
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline Brakeman  
#21 Posted : 02 March 2018 17:47:20(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
Excuse my ignorance, but are these coaches based on the same tinplate design 4228 launched in 1988?
These seem to sell well, but how do they stand scale wise in todays nit picking world?

Thanks,
Juha
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Brakeman
Offline dickinsonj  
#22 Posted : 03 March 2018 02:05:08(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Brakeman Go to Quoted Post
Excuse my ignorance, but are these coaches based on the same tinplate design 4228 launched in 1988?

Juha

They look to me to be based on the 41929 plastic coach set from a few years ago, which I have. There were earlier Rheingold coach sets which were basically the same but in a variety of liveries, so these have been around for a while.

They are a lovely set though, with table lights in all of the coaches and I can definitely recommend them. This set has one less baggage coach but it contains a decoder to control the coach lighting and supply the sounds, as well as a nice loco. My 41929 came with the wiring and connectors to add a decoder, but it is not included. I would also need to add interior lighting to match the 26928 specs, although mine already has the way cool table lights. Cool

If you don't already have a Rheingold beauty for your layout I would highly recommend this train.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline QQQ1970  
#23 Posted : 03 March 2018 03:46:24(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Good to know 5 car set is also prototypical until Mannheim when change in direction brings a second baggage car behind the loco.
The train shown on pages 52/53 in the new items brochure needs some minor adjustments to make it prototypical.

Prototypical train north of Mannheim:
1. The loco.
2. The baggage car.
3. Second-class coach without kitchen.
4. First-class coach with kitchen.
5. First-class coach without kitchen.
6. Second class coach with kitchen.
One kitchen served two coaches, so in an ideal train the kitchen is towards the other coach it also serves.

Curious why the prototypical consist is 2nd class, 1st class, 1st class and 2nd class, instead of say 2nd-2nd-1st-1st, or 1st-1st-2nd-2nd class?
Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 03 March 2018 09:09:22(UTC)
H0

Curious why the prototypical consist is 2nd class, 1st class, 1st class and 2nd class, instead of say 2nd-2nd-1st-1st, or 1st-1st-2nd-2nd class?
One pair of coaches with baggage car started in Hoek van Holland, the other pair started in Amsterdam.
So it was first and second class and one kitchen starting at each origin.

If you model the 1956 Rheingold with blue coaches then you can run one coach before the baggage car, the other coaches behind it. Same reason: coaches start and end at different places and are united and split at various stops along the journey.

And don't forget: the second class of that time was more luxurious than the first class of today. In 1955 the first class was given up and second class was relabelled to first class (same name, cheaper ingredients - we know that concept from many branches).
The fourth class had been given up in 1928 - from that day people needed third class tickets to travel in relabelled fourth class coaches.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline QQQ1970  
#25 Posted : 10 March 2018 21:46:40(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Does anyone know what FFD stands for? It was first classified as FD and later changed to FFD101/102.
Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 10 March 2018 22:35:39(UTC)
H0

Does anyone know what FFD stands for?
FFD was used for trains with special rolling stock and a higher premium fee.

Found here (in German):
https://web.hs-merseburg...pocheII/dd/e2d_4801.html
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline QQQ1970  
#27 Posted : 11 March 2018 00:24:19(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Thanks. How would you translate fernschnellzuge into English?
Offline dickinsonj  
#28 Posted : 11 March 2018 00:43:46(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

In English it would be :"long-distance express train" I believe.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline applor  
#29 Posted : 11 March 2018 00:50:03(UTC)
applor

Australia   
long-distance express train
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline QQQ1970  
#30 Posted : 11 March 2018 01:15:26(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
I should have asked: are the passenger cars in 1:87 or some other scale?
Offline H0  
#31 Posted : 11 March 2018 09:24:46(UTC)
H0

I should have asked: are the passenger cars in 1:87 or some other scale?
In this case they are 1:87 AFAIK.

At least they have the correct length. There are no problems with pre-war coaches in 1:87 (except with old M track turnout lanterns maybe).

More modern post-war coaches with a scale length of 303 mm or 316 mm can cause various problems if the layout was not designed with sufficient clearance.

With Märklin you never know if trucks or other details also are in 1:87. For the ICE 3 they once published a few details about scale deviations, but I haven't seen such a list for the Rheingold coaches yet.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline QQQ1970  
#32 Posted : 11 March 2018 13:19:27(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

In English it would be :"long-distance express train" I believe.

I believe Fernschnellzuge is FD in short, so FF means fernfern or first F is short form for something different?
Offline H0  
#33 Posted : 11 March 2018 13:57:46(UTC)
H0

Does anyone know what FFD stands for?
According to Eisenbahnjournal 03/1998 the second F has no meaning, it just underlines the exclusivity of certain FD trains.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline QQQ1970  
#34 Posted : 12 March 2018 00:01:28(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Thanks. So the Germans figured long ago if they say the F word enough times people will pay notice... :)
Offline dickinsonj  
#35 Posted : 12 March 2018 00:12:42(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Thanks. So the Germans figured long ago if they say the F word enough times people will pay notice... :)

BTW - I have said a few F words over my 41929 coaches, which probably would apply to this train set as well. I just started a thread about it which shows a problem you might have if you get this set.

https://www.marklin-user...-Rheingold-Coach-Problem
Regards,
Jim

Offline H0  
#36 Posted : 12 March 2018 08:11:04(UTC)
H0

So the Germans figured long ago if they say the F word enough times people will pay notice... :)
I think the F word is a homemade problem of American culture. And even there not all F words get beeped away.
I don't think they treated the F different from any other letter back then.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline steventrain  
#37 Posted : 12 March 2018 17:24:54(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
26928 delivery date planning is April 2018.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline QQQ1970  
#38 Posted : 17 March 2018 14:47:58(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
I was previously told July maybe faster in Europe.
Offline dickinsonj  
#39 Posted : 17 March 2018 15:42:38(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I was previously told July maybe faster in Europe.

From my experience that is probably a pretty good, if somewhat conservative estimate for delivery in North America. I always add a month or two of delay when guessing exactly when to expect my Märklin items to find their way to me here in the US. Plus Märklin is famous for slipping a little (or a lot) in when they actually deliver new items.
Regards,
Jim

Offline QQQ1970  
#40 Posted : 23 March 2018 03:25:42(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
I saw the new BR 18505 listed by eBay seller in Europe so presumably production of era 2 BR 18 should not be too far away.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#41 Posted : 23 March 2018 10:20:55(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
deleted, not applicable.
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline steventrain  
#42 Posted : 30 March 2018 21:47:26(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Delivery begin after easter.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline QQQ1970  
#43 Posted : 01 April 2018 13:56:44(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Globally or EU first?
Offline foumaro  
#44 Posted : 05 April 2018 04:32:09(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Offline kimballthurlow  
#45 Posted : 05 April 2018 04:51:15(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
I got the email to say that Joes Modellbahnladen has them in stock.
However I am waiting for my set from Australian dealer Nathan's Trains, where the price works out the same.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline QQQ1970  
#46 Posted : 05 April 2018 05:22:27(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Nice box
Offline QQQ1970  
#47 Posted : 08 April 2018 01:45:29(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Has anyone seen a video review of the new Rheingold? Link appreciated. Thanks.
Offline 1borna  
#48 Posted : 11 April 2018 21:46:14(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
This kit I managed to get after a long search
DSCN3048_zpscdda06e5.jpgDSCN3056_zps4ef36be0.jpgDSCN3057_zpsb0f1a7b4.jpgDSCN3046_zps80e8ccea.jpgDSCN3047_zpsf8f388d6.jpg
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline dickinsonj  
#49 Posted : 12 April 2018 01:46:46(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: 1borna Go to Quoted Post
This kit I managed to get after a long search

Very Nice - a beautiful loco with a beautiful rake of coaches - well worth the effort to track them down. For some reason the items that I had to hunt like a tiger to find have become some of my favorites. Cool

Good Job -- Very Nice Train. Thanks for sharing! BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

Offline QQQ1970  
#50 Posted : 18 April 2018 02:49:25(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Here are the first videos I found on Marklin 26928. Enjoy!

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by QQQ1970