Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ae66green  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2018 23:07:56(UTC)
ae66green

Canada   
When I read the digital newsletter, it mentions using of circuit track to create entry trigger and exit trigger. The circuit has a small lever, when the locomotive passing through it, it would push the lever and it creates a feedback to the S88, how should I classify what is an entry trigger and what is an exit trigger for that? If the locomotive stop over the small lever, then what this situation is called?

In the above scenarios, which one will cause the S88 to turn on (yellow symbol on the CS2 layout) and which one will cause the S88 to turn off (white symbol on the CS2 layout)?

How should I wire the circuit track to the S88 and where the ground terminal of the S88 should go to?
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2018 04:18:22(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
The circuit track with the toggle triggers one contact when it is pushed in one direction and another contact when it is pushed in the other direction by a slider. The terms entry and exit really depend on the train direction of travel and how many such sensors you have in a "block" of track.

Let's say you have a station track with a contact track section at both ends. When a train comes in from the left and triggers the first contact by moving the paddle to the right that would be the entry sensor in that direction. When the train leaves that block and triggers the second contact track again moving the paddle to the right that would be considered the exit sensor.

Now bring a train in from the right. It triggers the second sensor first by pushing the paddle to the left and that now becomes the entry sensor. Upon leaving it triggers the 1st contact track which then becomes the exit sensor.

Those are the only 4 wires you need to bring back to your S88. The ground terminal of the first S88 decoder needs to be connected to your layout brown wiring assuming you are using standard Maerklin colour coding.

Peter
Offline Thewolf  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2018 12:53:01(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
In addition to Peter's writings, it is not necessary to grant an S88 output to each blue wire on the detector rail.

You can combine the two blue rail wires on a single S88 output.

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline ae66green  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2018 14:15:23(UTC)
ae66green

Canada   
Thanks Peter for your information. Do you mean to use 2 circuit tracks each at both end of a station yard? Furthermore, in your example, when the s88 symbol on the layout tab of the CS2 will display in yellow and when it will display in white?
Offline waorb  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2018 16:05:18(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Hello!

Originally Posted by: ae66green Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Peter for your information. Do you mean to use 2 circuit tracks each at both end of a station yard?

Possible, but not absolutely necessary. It depends on what do you want to trigger in your layout.

Furthermore, in your example, when the s88 symbol on the layout tab of the CS2 will display in yellow and when it will display in white?

The display will be in yellow only during the meantime the slider is pushing the lever. When the slider go off the lever and it returns to the 'vertical'/original position, the display also returns to be white; regardless of the direction.

For example, if a train with just one slider - the Loco's one - go thru really fast, only one short 'click' should be seen on the white/yellow display.
On the other side, in a commuter train - one loco and several passengers cars, each one with a slider - the display should be triggered the same amount of the number of sliders.

Cheers,

Walter
Offline ae66green  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2018 17:06:28(UTC)
ae66green

Canada   
Thanks Walter.

I have multiple purpose for using the circuit track, first is to trigger the stop signal so that the train behind will not come in to the section that a train already occupied, secondly, I want to know the occupancy of the section for a station yard with 2 lines and I am thinking whether the circuit can serve this purpose.

If I want to know the occupancy of a section, do I need to use contact track instead of circuit track? I am thinking if the wheel of a train (no matter locomotive or passenger car) is on the contact track, it should turn the S88 symbol to yellow on the CS2 layout tab, from there I can know which section of the layout is occupied. Am I correct with this concept?

On the CS2 memory tab, we can set the entry trigger, exit trigger and the occupancy trigger, but I have no idea how to classify those situations using the circuit track associated with the S88, or a contact track must be used to serve those purpose.
Offline PMPeter  
#7 Posted : 06 February 2018 17:16:06(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Thanks Peter for your information. Do you mean to use 2 circuit tracks each at both end of a station yard? Furthermore, in your example, when the s88 symbol on the layout tab of the CS2 will display in yellow and when it will display in white?

Each circuit track has 2 contacts. One for each direction. Therefore, in my example you only need one circuit track at each end of the "block", not two. Thus, you have 4 wires coming off of these 2 tracks that can go to your S88.
Offline PMPeter  
#8 Posted : 06 February 2018 17:24:29(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Thanks Walter.

I have multiple purpose for using the circuit track, first is to trigger the stop signal so that the train behind will not come in to the section that a train already occupied, secondly, I want to know the occupancy of the section for a station yard with 2 lines and I am thinking whether the circuit can serve this purpose.

If I want to know the occupancy of a section, do I need to use contact track instead of circuit track? I am thinking if the wheel of a train (no matter locomotive or passenger car) is on the contact track, it should turn the S88 symbol to yellow on the CS2 layout tab, from there I can know which section of the layout is occupied. Am I correct with this concept?

On the CS2 memory tab, we can set the entry trigger, exit trigger and the occupancy trigger, but I have no idea how to classify those situations using the circuit track associated with the S88, or a contact track must be used to serve those purpose.

You can trigger an S88 input by 3 common methods:

- circuit track as already discussed which gets triggered by a slider in the direction that the slider moves (2 contacts per track that are direction dependent)
- contact track triggered by the first non-isolated wheelset that crosses the isolated contact (one contact per isolated section that is not direction dependent and does not work with isolated DC wheelsets)
- reed switches and magnets (one contact per reed switch that is not direction dependent)

Therefore, if you always want the contact to be triggered by any train at the same point, the contact track is the best since it will be triggered by the first wheelset. The circuit track and the reed switch are dependent on the slider location or the magnet location which will vary for each locomotive. For example on steam locomotives the slider is usually on the tender. Therefore the locomotive itself will go beyond the circuit track before it gets triggered.

Offline hxmiesa  
#9 Posted : 07 February 2018 14:26:16(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
In my opionion (and experience) the circuit tracks are terribly unstable and not worth it.
The plastic rocker gets easily damaged (or rather the spring-mecanism underneath the track does) and is difficult to repair.
Even if it is not damaged, it can still get stuck becaause of "whatever", ususally just dirt and dust.

I avoid them all-together, at least for the main block-signal security.
Use reed-switches instead, or even better; isolate one side of the track in a track-piece, and connect the isolated track-piece to your S88.

Circuit-tracks can also cause problems with push-pull trains, if the slider is located in the back of the train.
Their advantage is, that they can do different things depending on the direction of travel of the train. Valuable in analogue running, but hardly an issue in the digital world.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa