Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2018 02:51:07(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Good Evening,

For the life of me I can't find the current and voltage settings on the CS3?

Are there user defined fields that I can change so that I can have a lower voltage and current setting?

What I'm trying to do is shorten the time it takes to trip the CS3 into overload (short) timeframe.

Thank you. Michel

Offline michelvr  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2018 04:13:37(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
I think I found my answer from another post....

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Its because the power supply used depends upon the scale of the system you are driving with it, and the corresponding safety detection levels deployed, and what damage can occur with a short... at least as I understand it.
The ECoS comes with an adjustable power supply and you can set the threshold for the internal booster somewhere in the software.

My "ECoS" 60212 is capable of 4 A output current, but I set the threshold to 2 A for increased safety.
Nice feature the CS2/CS3 don't have.
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 18 January 2018 01:53:41(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Good Evening,

For the life of me I can't find the current and voltage settings on the CS3?

Are there user defined fields that I can change so that I can have a lower voltage and current setting?

What I'm trying to do is shorten the time it takes to trip the CS3 into overload (short) timeframe.

Thank you. Michel

Hello Michel,

if I understand your question correctly, you want to know where at a CS 3 you can alter the current from 3 A to 5 A?

I asked this question the Maerklin Service and their answer was unfortunately not distinctive. Interpretive it correctly you may alter the current by selecting the different “Netzteil” 60061 for 3 A and 60101 for 5 A. Please compare and see it at page 33 in the CS 3 manual, section “GFP 3 settings”.

Regards

Wolfgang
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2018 08:19:25(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
if I understand your question correctly, you want to know where at a CS 3 you can alter the current from 3 A to 5 A?
On the CS 60212 I can set the current limit to 4 A or to 2 A or to 2.4 A - or to several other values.
I use 2 A to reduce the risk of damages in the case of a short circuit.

UserPostedImage

The CS 60212 is AFAIK the only Märklin controller that supports the MM protocol with 28 speed steps.
Sometimes such simple configuration options make the users happy.

It's the Märklin way to set the current limit implicitly by configuring the power supply. And the 50 VA power supply for the US is probably still missing in the list - at least it is missing in the CS2.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2018 09:48:51(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
All this talk about maximum current values may have some merit in dubious load situations, however a short is a short and the question was

Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post

The time to shutdown for a short is purely based on design of the power supply.

If you have poor wiring or dirty wheels , and resistance comes into play such that it is not a true short then, sure, the various settings for current limit might come into play. But , again, the delay before the power supply depends on the design (which may be a software timer)

Also , If anyone has listened to a the "sizzling" around a derailment they will know that the power supply cuts out and retries a couple of time (just in case the short is transient) before finally throwing in the towel. The number of times a retry is attempted is not the same as the the current rating of the PS

Rather than dwelling on 2nd guessing the knowledgeable designers of the power supplies, any layout modeler would be well advised to focus on the quality of their wiring and power distribution, so that a short is quickly and succinctly detected as a short.
Poor wiring joins or wires incapable of transmitting power without significant resistance (too thin) will hide the short from a power supply even if its sensitivity was wound right down.

Edited by user 19 January 2018 02:29:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott