Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Trigster  
#1 Posted : 29 December 2017 01:25:27(UTC)
Trigster

United States   
Hello All...I'm back to the 'Well Of Knowledge'...Electricity isn't my long suit...

Is it unreasonable to have 12 (+?) switches in a single 'Loop' all being powered off of one Transformer ?
All Analog...No Signals or Control Tracks...No Digital...Just plain vanilla 5202's...How many is too many ?

I'm also planning on powering 12 - 20 'Station Lights' via a 7210 Control Box in groups of 3 - 5 lights per
On/Off switch all off a single Transformer...Different Transformer from above...Very limited extra strain of
maybe 2 - 4 switches...As above All Analog & No Signals or Control Tracks...Is that too many lights ?

Also...Either Transformer would never be powering more than a single Train at once...32a / 6646's...

Thanks For Any Opinions or Suggestions...I Appreciate Your Time...Trig
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 29 December 2017 02:18:21(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Hi Trig,

It is not how many switches that are connected to one transformer that is the issue, but how many of these switches operating at the same time that becomes the limiting factor. Also a limiting factor is the turnout lanterns since they will be continuously on. So again it depends on whether the lamps are the old incandescent ones that draw more power or the LED equivalents which draw very little power.

The same applies to the station lights - are they incandescent or LEDs?

What you need to do is add up all of the power requirements for everything that will be on at the same time and that total power will determine whether your transformer can handle it or not.

Cheers
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Trigster  
#3 Posted : 29 December 2017 02:44:44(UTC)
Trigster

United States   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
Hi Trig,

It is not how many switches that are connected to one transformer that is the issue, but how many of these switches operating at the same time that becomes the limiting factor. Also a limiting factor is the turnout lanterns since they will be continuously on. So again it depends on whether the lamps are the old incandescent ones that draw more power or the LED equivalents which draw very little power.

The same applies to the station lights - are they incandescent or LEDs?

What you need to do is add up all of the power requirements for everything that will be on at the same time and that total power will determine whether your transformer can handle it or not.

Cheers
Peter

Thanks Peter...I was kind'a assuming that the limiting factor was basically the light bulbs...There won't be any time that I'd
think I'd be operating 2 switches simutaneously and the 'Station Lights' would all be newer LED's...

I hate to sound the fool...But how much does an Older Switch with an incandeceant bulb draw in terms of watts...?
Also it seems I've seen several options for replacing the old bulbs with LED's...In the long run it's probably worth
the effort to just go ahead and do it now before the layout is built...Trig

Edited by user 29 December 2017 22:35:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Markus Schild  
#4 Posted : 29 December 2017 11:08:53(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

Calculate 1VA for every light-bulb and 10-15VA to switch. So a 32VA transformer can power ~20 bulbs and still has a reserve to power the solenoid of one switch.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Trigster  
#5 Posted : 29 December 2017 22:34:02(UTC)
Trigster

United States   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Calculate 1VA for every light-bulb and 10-15VA to switch. So a 32VA transformer can power ~20 bulbs and still has a reserve to power the solenoid of one switch.

Regards

Markus

Thanks Markus...I appreciate your clarity...I'm well within those 'Guide Lines' so I should be AOK...

Regards & Happy New Years !!!...Trig