Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline grnwtrs  
#1 Posted : 17 November 2017 08:58:54(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
I have visited a friend in area south of me during the past couple of weeks, and noticed how great his sounds are in his 1 Gauge engines.
Of course they are new from Marklin one the Xmas Engine #55389, and the other is the #55413 with the telex. The sounds are just elegant, to me at least.

I don't have steam yet, but I have a diesel Br 218 (# 55711) and a early analogue # 5720 in 1 ga. Plus a bunch of MAXI'S some may be eligible for upgrading?..Laugh

I was hoping to update the #55711 to the latest MFX+/DCC that comes in the mew marklin line of 1 ga. engines. and if necessary the motor /modification as required.,
I have inquired locally, but the availability wast limited., so I thought I would get a broader opinion from the experts here.

Thank you and best regards,
gene

Offline gcanton  
#2 Posted : 21 November 2017 18:59:01(UTC)
gcanton

United Kingdom   
All things are possible, Marklin decoders are very expensive so finding a brand you like/can purchase easily for aftermarket decoders is better. I like ESU but find there is a useful Zimo non sound decoder that supplies slightly more current for Maxi or the 5720 which do not pull huge trains but sometimes take more current than an HO decoder is happy with. Would you want to be MFX, DCC or both?

To edit sound you need a programmer which adds to the startup costs but is a one off, they are brand specific so its best to choose and stick to one brand of sound decoder but ordinary decoders are programmable from any programmer or most controllers. Upgrading Maxi is very worthwhile as you get lights that are not dependant on the speed of the loco, load compensation and smoother running. Sound on a Maxi is slightly more awkward as you need to strip and rewire it as the existing space is a bit small for a sound decoder but you can make an adaptor from VERO board to use a simple decoder in the existing socket and get much better running.

The forum is good so ask away and don't be shy, everybody started once and it is not difficult if you can solder.

Graham

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by gcanton
Offline grnwtrs  
#3 Posted : 30 November 2017 01:32:05(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Originally Posted by: gcanton Go to Quoted Post
All things are possible, Marklin decoders are very expensive so finding a brand you like/can purchase easily for aftermarket decoders is better. I like ESU but find there is a useful Zimo non sound decoder that supplies slightly more current for Maxi or the 5720 which do not pull huge trains but sometimes take more current than an HO decoder is happy with. Would you want to be MFX, DCC or both?

To edit sound you need a programmer which adds to the startup costs but is a one off, they are brand specific so its best to choose and stick to one brand of sound decoder but ordinary decoders are programmable from any programmer or most controllers. Upgrading Maxi is very worthwhile as you get lights that are not dependant on the speed of the loco, load compensation and smoother running. Sound on a Maxi is slightly more awkward as you need to strip and rewire it as the existing space is a bit small for a sound decoder but you can make an adaptor from VERO board to use a simple decoder in the existing socket and get much better running.

The forum is good so ask away and don't be shy, everybody started once and it is not difficult if you can solder.

Graham

Thank you Graham for great information But.............

I miss-spoke about the upgrades. I plan to have someone else do that type of work. I don't have a clue how to go about such stuff. I can't remember the last time I used either my solder iron or gun!Laugh
I got side tracked in replacing a few car filters/air/cabin/climate control lites and wiper blades in my 4-Runner in an attempt to beat the weather.

I was hoping to get, which I did, some suggestions of decoders for updating some of my earlier Marklin 1 gauge loks. Especially the operating sound portion of the decoder. I thank you.
I was/am most interested in getting a upgrade for my G1, BR 218 217-8 (Ma 55711), closer to the current decoders in the Marklin new I GA LOKS.

According the catalogs/dealer listings this past year, the decoders are DCC in addition to being MFX. That is what I was hoping to get.
I understand ESU also have a large number of decoders, and very well regarded. Matter of fact, I have one in a new BEMO H O a/c lok just purchased (Glacier Express) I may have to for go the MAXI engines for now, as there are only 1 or 2 that I would want to upgrade.

Thanks again.gene