Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LilyMarléne  
#1 Posted : 17 November 2017 02:11:09(UTC)
LilyMarléne

France   
Hi,
I am a mom of an 8 yo boy, who really loves trains. My son dug up a big dirty plastic bag from a charity shop and bought it for 30 euros with his pocket money....
It is not my hobby, but I try my best to help him get it work.
After a few hours hunting on google, we got more or less identified what we have:
A lot of dirty M tracks ( straight, curved, and crossings)
One blue transfo
One red locomotive 3021
3 wagons with lightbulbs
5 other wagons
Some decor elements ( cow/sheep/plastic houses)
We did the best to clean the tracks, and made a small test circle to see if the whole setup works.
It does work, -kind of- but there are some problems:
1,The locomotive produces quite some sparkles under the wheels and especially the collector bar in the middle ( I hope it is called like that)
2,The locomotive makes a weird noise when running ( like dragging a metal sheet, plus tle sparkling noise)
3, The passengers car lights are blinking ( Maybe it is supposed to be like that?
I have the feeling that we did not get the center track as clean as it should be ( we cleaned it with alcohol and cotton rug, it was very dirty)
We cleaned the train wheels as well, they were quite dirty as well)

My question is: how to get rid of the sparkles and noise?

Our goal is to set up a nice little circuit with the stuff we have, ( my little guy is really happy with it as it is, and frankly I don’t want to invest more money in it at the moment, but I am willing to help him get it improved)

I would be really grateful for any advice!

An
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by LilyMarléne
Offline Pmare4  
#2 Posted : 17 November 2017 04:21:25(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Hi An,

Sounds like the loco needs an oil and a change of motor brushes and slider and the tracks need some cleaning.

If the tracks are rusted then you should use some fine grit sandpaper on the tops of the rails and the centre rail to remove the rust.

As for the loco, I'll let other members comment on servicing methods but you may like to try taking it to this dealer if you don't think you can repair it yourself:

M. Mifsud Louis
2, Rue Corot
31700 Blagnac

Its an hours drive from where you are, so otherwise there might be a forum member near you who can help you get it running.

regards
Peter
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Pmare4
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 17 November 2017 04:42:31(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Pmare4 Go to Quoted Post
Hi An,

Sounds like the loco needs an oil and a change of motor brushes and slider and the tracks need some cleaning.

If the tracks are rusted then you should use some fine grit sandpaper on the tops of the rails and the centre rail to remove the rust.

As for the loco, I'll let other members comment on servicing methods but you may like to try taking it to this dealer if you don't think you can repair it yourself:

M. Mifsud Louis
2, Rue Corot
31700 Blagnac

Its an hours drive from where you are, so otherwise there might be a forum member near you who can help you get it running.

regards
Peter

Hi An, the fact that it runs at all is a good sign and as Peter has said, it sounds very much to me that what is mainly needed is a more thorough clean of the tracks, and a service of the locomotive.

You did well so far, but you may find a "track rubber" might help, this is like a normal pencil rubber/eraser except that it is impregnated with very fine particles to deal with surface rust etc. You could also use fine sandpaper, no rougher than perhaps 300-grade (the lower the number the more rough it is). The hobby company "Peco" make a good track rubber and most hobby or model shops should have them.

The loco noise will only require oil, Marklin make a special oil but to be honest, the 3021 is about one of the most solid loco's ever made, they are damn-near indestructible so you may only need to give it a couple of small drops of sewing machine oil, or 3-in1 and you will not harm it. There is a single large screw underneath to remove the top housing and it just lifts right off, real easy. Such an awesome Loco, I have a couple myself and love them.

Steve
NZ
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline LilyMarléne  
#4 Posted : 17 November 2017 11:04:35(UTC)
LilyMarléne

France   
Hi An,

Hi Pete
Thanks a lot for you advice!
This morning I took a deep breath, and took apart the locomotive, cleaned the motor brushes and the motor in the inside, and now our little loco runs without sparkles and noise!

It seems that the tracks we cleaned are clean enough to make the train work!

thanks 12 users liked this useful post by LilyMarléne
Offline LilyMarléne  
#5 Posted : 17 November 2017 11:20:12(UTC)
LilyMarléne

France   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Hi An,

The loco noise will only require oil, Marklin make a special oil but to be honest, the 3021 is about one of the most solid loco's ever made, they are damn-near indestructible so you may only need to give it a couple of small drops of sewing machine oil, or 3-in1 and you will not harm it. There is a single large screw underneath to remove the top housing and it just lifts right off, real easy. Such an awesome Loco, I have a couple myself and love them.

Steve
NZ

Hi Steve

Thank you for your answer, I’ll get some oil today ( I have a small bottle of sewing machine oil somewhere) I’m sure that the old loco would aprechiate a bit of it!

I’ll have a look at YouTube for the oiling

Edited by moderator 20 November 2017 01:00:38(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed up quotes

Offline Jabez  
#6 Posted : 17 November 2017 19:17:59(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
You mention a blue transformer. Make sure that it has a plastic casing. The old blue transformers with metal casing can have serious safety issues. If it is plastic it should be OK, but if it is metal do not use it again.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline Rwill  
#7 Posted : 17 November 2017 21:17:45(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Lets face we are all jealous - the little lad got a really good deal for 30 Euros. Mind you remains to be seen how he feels in fifty or more years time when he tots up how many thousand Euros he has spent on Marklin since then! Well done and good luck.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline cookee_nz  
#8 Posted : 17 November 2017 21:29:24(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
You mention a blue transformer. Make sure that it has a plastic casing. The old blue transformers with metal casing can have serious safety issues. If it is plastic it should be OK, but if it is metal do not use it again.

Hi Jabez, you beat me to it, during the night I recalled An mentioning the blue transformer and made a note to myself to follow up.

An,

Not wanting to alarm you but there is a potential safety issue with some older Blue transformers which have a metal case, and the problem is that the power cord from the wall plug can become brittle with age - it is not obvious externally and may appear to look sound but it's the internal insulation which deteriorates and this can only be confirmed by close inspection.

It will almost certainly have a plug which has screws holding it together, opening the plug can often show if the internal rubber insulation has started to decay/crumble. Regardless, our strong recommendation is to either have the Trafo checked by a qualified electrician or appliance service technician, and have them replace the cord, or replace the Trafo entirely with either a brand-new one which will have a WHITE plastic case, or a good second-hand one with a Blue PLASTIC case.

You may find the cost of getting the existing Trafo rewired to be not much less than just replacing it. In fact, for a while Marklin were actually offering a rebate on these old Trafo's toward a new one, it might be worth contacting your nearest official dealer and inquire if they can do anything to assist.

You sound from your previous posting as though you understand technical things quickly and I wrote a couple of articles about this very issue a while back - here are the links about the issue....

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t25901-Older-Metal-Transformer-Danger

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t32687-YIKES----my-280A-transformer-gave-me-a-huge-230-Volt-shock

Please, for the sake of your Sons safety, don't use the Trafo until you have had it checked or replaced. It will be frustrating, but it's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Feel free to post photos of what you have, in fact I was going to ask anyway because we all LOVE photos here - particularly the Loco & Rolling Stock, plus of course the Trafo.

I'm sure you can see quickly the benefit of coming to this forum - we leave no stone unturned!!!

BigGrin

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline LilyMarléne  
#9 Posted : 18 November 2017 23:19:36(UTC)
LilyMarléne

France   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post

Hi Jabez, you beat me to it, during the night I recalled An mentioning the blue transformer and made a note to myself to follow up.

An,

Not wanting to alarm you but there is a potential safety issue with some older Blue transformers which have a metal case, and the problem is that the power cord from the wall plug can become brittle with age - it is not obvious externally and may appear to look sound but it's the internal insulation which deteriorates and this can only be confirmed by close inspection.

It will almost certainly have a plug which has screws holding it together, opening the plug can often show if the internal rubber insulation has started to decay/crumble. Regardless, our strong recommendation is to either have the Trafo checked by a qualified electrician or appliance service technician, and have them replace the cord, or replace the Trafo entirely with either a brand-new one which will have a WHITE plastic case, or a good second-hand one with a Blue PLASTIC case.

You may find the cost of getting the existing Trafo rewired to be not much less than just replacing it. In fact, for a while Marklin were actually offering a rebate on these old Trafo's toward a new one, it might be worth contacting your nearest official dealer and inquire if they can do anything to assist.

You sound from your previous posting as though you understand technical things quickly and I wrote a couple of articles about this very issue a while back - here are the links about the issue....

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t25901-Older-Metal-Transformer-Danger

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t32687-YIKES----my-280A-transformer-gave-me-a-huge-230-Volt-shock

Please, for the sake of your Sons safety, don't use the Trafo until you have had it checked or replaced. It will be frustrating, but it's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Feel free to post photos of what you have, in fact I was going to ask anyway because we all LOVE photos here - particularly the Loco & Rolling Stock, plus of course the Trafo.

I'm sure you can see quickly the benefit of coming to this forum - we leave no stone unturned!!!

BigGrin

Steve

Thank you both for the information !
I looked at the photos of your links, and yes , I have a metal transformator, and no, the cord does not look like yours, it has an all in one plastic plug, it can’t be taken apart... eighter it is a newer model or someone already replaced it...

I’ll try to post some photos!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LilyMarléne
Offline LilyMarléne  
#10 Posted : 18 November 2017 23:30:49(UTC)
LilyMarléne

France   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
Lets face we are all jealous - the little lad got a really good deal for 30 Euros. Mind you remains to be seen how he feels in fifty or more years time when he tots up how many thousand Euros he has spent on Marklin since then! Well done and good luck.

Thank you! I don’t know if it will last as a hobby or if he’ll forget it... at the moment he wants to be model train conductor in the train museum when he grows up... ;)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by LilyMarléne
Offline LilyMarléne  
#11 Posted : 18 November 2017 23:52:49(UTC)
LilyMarléne

France   
Transf

Edited by user 19 November 2017 15:01:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Jabez  
#12 Posted : 19 November 2017 00:00:39(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Looks like your photo post didn't work. Try again. There are several posts on the site that explain the various ways of doing it.
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline Pmare4  
#13 Posted : 19 November 2017 00:57:41(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Hi all,

Managed to download the photo and have put it here for everyone to see:

trafo.jpeg

At least from where I am there doesn't look to be an issue with the cable, but I'll let Cookee have the last say...

regards
Peter
Peter
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Pmare4
Offline cookee_nz  
#14 Posted : 19 November 2017 01:28:20(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi all,

Managed to download the photo and have put it here for everyone to see:

At least from where I am there doesn't look to be an issue with the cable, but I'll let Cookee have the last say...

regards
Peter

Thanks Peter, I had several attempts at finding the file myself with url 'tweaking' but gave up.

I believe that Trafo will be fine, it is a later version and that is a factory plastic cord, any deterioration will be obvious.

An, your boy may safely resume his duties as railroad manager !! BigGrin

But we would still like to see photos of the trains. ThumpUp
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline jvuye  
#15 Posted : 19 November 2017 17:55:11(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi An!
Just picked up this thread.
I live near Cahors (St Cirq Lapopie) ....less than 100 km north of you.
I have been involved with Märklin for over 65 years...(including many years in repairs and service) .
Still have parts and tools, and most of my brains still active, despite old age Wink
I'll be glad to help you figure a few things out and especially check on the safety of the transformer, as there should be no "maybe ok" consideration when put in the hands of the little guy!
Just le me know via PM .
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 18 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Br502362  
#16 Posted : 19 November 2017 20:02:14(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
^ APPLAUSE !!!!! ThumpUp

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline LilyMarléne  
#17 Posted : 19 November 2017 23:17:55(UTC)
LilyMarléne

France   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Hi An!
I have been involved with Märklin for over 65 years...(including many years in repairs and service) .
Still have parts and tools, and most of my brains still active, despite old age Wink
I'll be glad to help you figure a few things out and especially check on the safety of the transformer, as there should be no "maybe ok" consideration when put in the hands of the little guy!
Just le me know via PM .
Cheers

Hello Jacques!
I’m really grateful for the offer and I’m sure my son would love to meet someone who knows a lot about märklin trains!
In the same time google tells me, that st cirque is about 260km from me.... but it is a place that I would like to visit someday.... so maybe I manage to put it into the family holiday once...
Offline LilyMarléne  
#18 Posted : 19 November 2017 23:33:56(UTC)
LilyMarléne

France   

But we would still like to see photos of the trains. ThumpUp

I try to do my best, but this forum does not work like the others I am used to...I use my telephone for posting and I am unable to upload jpeg from it on the forum, so I was trying to upload the pictures on a server and type in the URL...
Offline cookee_nz  
#19 Posted : 19 November 2017 23:55:18(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: LilyMarléne Go to Quoted Post
Hi An!
Just le me know via PM .
Cheers

Hello Jacques!
I’m really grateful for the offer and I’m sure my son would love to meet someone who knows a lot about märklin trains!
In the same time google tells me, that st cirque is about 260km from me.... but it is a place that I would like to visit someday.... so maybe I manage to put it into the family holiday once...

You will be in good hands with Jacques, he is one of the long-timers here and well respected generally in the Märklin community.

If push comes to shove, maybe you could meet in the middle and have lunch but of course if you can visit Jacques and see his own display, your Sons eyes would light up for sure. I would love to meet Jacques myself one day. 😉

The closest I came was in 2006 when I came through parts of France with my daughter, we flew into Limoges, visited Oradour-sur-Glane (very sad place) and then drove down to see the new Millau viaduct (my now son-in-law is an engineer) and then returned north via one of the 'back roads' (not the motorway), passing through some lovely old towns and villages. Much better than only seeing them from a distance on the highways.

Very regrettably, I was not active on this forum at that time and I know now that I missed the perfect opportunity to meet a LOT of fellow members and potentially a few nights of welcoming accommodation and a 'local' guided tour!

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline LilyMarléne  
#20 Posted : 20 November 2017 00:32:28(UTC)
LilyMarléne

France   
I gave up the attempt of posting pictures from my iPhone for tonight ( if somebody can point me to the right direction how to do it, I would be grateful) , but in the meantime I have another question:
Our 3021 Locomotive has two little lightbulbs inside, one white and one red. At the beginning the lights were not working, so I assumed that maybe the lightbulbs were broken.
When I took the locomotive apart, to clean the motor, I noticed that the lights may work , but the socle of the front light can come off the base, and when I put back the cover of the locomotive the whole socle moved and the lights stopped working...
It seems to me that the front light socle should be attached solidly to its metal base , or am I wrong?
Offline jvuye  
#21 Posted : 20 November 2017 00:56:55(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi An!
Just le me know via PM .
Cheers

Hello Jacques!

I think you may be looking at the wrong St Cirq Lapopie! According to google map St Nicolas de la Grave (near Montauban) is 86 km to get here ..Autoroute A20, sortie 58, then follow St Cirq Lapopie!
And bring the little guy too, there are a few trains here for him to look at, and mayble play a little!
Cheers
Jacques
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline jvuye  
#22 Posted : 20 November 2017 01:00:22(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
I gave up the attempt of posting pictures from my iPhone for tonight ( if somebody can point me to the right direction how to do it, I would be grateful) , but in the meantime I have another question:
Our 3021 Locomotive has two little lightbulbs inside, one white and one red. At the beginning the lights were not working, so I assumed that maybe the lightbulbs were broken.
When I took the locomotive apart, to clean the motor, I noticed that the lights may work , but the socle of the front light can come off the base, and when I put back the cover of the locomotive the whole socle moved and the lights stopped working...
It seems to me that the front light socle should be attached solidly to its metal base , or am I wrong?

All that can be easily fixed! Wink
Cheers

Jacques

Offline cookee_nz  
#23 Posted : 20 November 2017 01:37:04(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

Hi An, never tried it before myself so thought I would give it a crack...

First attempt to our 'test' thread was from my HP x3 'phablet' running W10 mobile and Edge.

Go into new message, from the icons above the message area click the paperclip (attach icon), then from the next window "Upload new files" you might need to tap on the title bar, then you click "add file(s) and browse to the location/folder where the files are located, select the images you want and then click "Start upload(s).

And then just to be certain, I tried the same thing from my older iphone 4s and Safari. Much the same except that 'add files' I choose "photo library", then find the image I want, and then ''start upload(s)".

Both devices and methods worked fine.

Hope this helps 👌

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline cookee_nz  
#24 Posted : 20 November 2017 17:58:08(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline DaleSchultz  
#25 Posted : 20 November 2017 21:48:29(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
not sure if you can get to a participating German dealer who may swap the old M track and transformer for newer track. I think the new controller will however need a chip to be built into the loco

https://www.maerklin.de/de/schatzsuche/ (offer ends end of November)

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline cookee_nz  
#26 Posted : 21 November 2017 00:49:46(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Some user info regarding the 3021 Loco....

3021-p01.jpg3021-p02.jpg3021-p04.jpg3021-p11.jpg3021-p14.jpg3021-p03.jpg3021-p06.jpg3021-p16.jpg3021-p15.jpg3021-p05.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality of these, someone will surely have better ones and if they upload, I'll delete mine

Plus the service sheets....

3021-p2-0658.jpg3021-p1-0658.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline LilyMarléne  
#27 Posted : 21 November 2017 09:22:03(UTC)
LilyMarléne

France   
Hi Steve

Thank you very much for your explanation.
I think I followed you method and got the pictures uploaded, ( I hope that they are visible for others , on my phone there are no thumbnail pictures, but if you click on the link, you can see the photos...
AE1556B2-29EF-4634-96FC-99E021B65EDC.jpegC9F223AE-5EE1-459E-A615-DCF194432452.jpegF95DCA19-C23F-47E4-982B-C63100192128.jpeg18B84310-2375-49C3-936D-3224F8D8ABC9.jpeg8FB968E5-C9E3-46B2-9CBC-441E453A4B1C.jpegA0A2B646-59F8-44D3-8EB3-19D4E2782421.jpeg9BE483C7-4F0F-4737-9AF9-84894BBFBDF5.jpeg
Offline LilyMarléne  
#28 Posted : 21 November 2017 09:31:18(UTC)
LilyMarléne

France   
49A40201-63DA-45CB-9908-5F7B0598A55D.jpeg
Offline LilyMarléne  
#29 Posted : 21 November 2017 09:47:46(UTC)
LilyMarléne

France   
Hi An!
Just le me know via PM .
Cheers

Hello Jacques!

I think you may be looking at the wrong St Cirq Lapopie! According to google map St Nicolas de la Grave (near Montauban) is 86 km to get here ..Autoroute A20, sortie 58, then follow St Cirq Lapopie!
And bring the little guy too, there are a few trains here for him to look at, and mayble play a little!
Cheers
Jacques

Hello Jacques,

I’m a bit confused... I live in Montpellier, and I don’t see any other st Cirq around here, than the one wich is approx 260 km north...
Offline xxup  
#30 Posted : 21 November 2017 10:17:18(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Perhaps a map will help here? Blushing

Like this one?

UserPostedImage

As we like to say in Australia, Jacques is just up the road from you.. Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Pmare4  
#31 Posted : 21 November 2017 10:36:07(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Hi Adrian,

Although An's profile says she lives in St-Nicolas-de-la-Grave, in her last post she says she lives in Montpellier. Confused So unfortunately this means she actually is a 3 hours drive from Jacques.

regards
Peter
Peter
Offline xxup  
#32 Posted : 21 November 2017 10:38:34(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Three hours is still only a short drive up the road. Leave at 8am - get there at 11am.. Jacques puts on a nice lunch on the BBQ and fixes the loco. Leave at 2pm and home by 5pm.. Easy.. Laugh
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline LilyMarléne  
#33 Posted : 21 November 2017 11:49:25(UTC)
LilyMarléne

France   
Hi Adrian,

Although An's profile says she lives in St-Nicolas-de-la-Grave, in her last post she says she lives in Montpellier. Confused So unfortunately this means she actually is a 3 hours drive from Jacques.

regards
Peter

I sorry for the confusion , I did not check what my system put in, when I accepted “use automatic location” at the creation of my profile...
I’m not sure why it picked St Nicolas de la G.... maybe I should visit that city as well on my way to st Cirq..Confused
Offline LilyMarléne  
#34 Posted : 21 November 2017 12:00:00(UTC)
LilyMarléne

France   

Thank you for the märklin info and the locomotive sheets!
It is really nice from all of you to put so much effort to help me!
Offline LilyMarléne  
#35 Posted : 22 November 2017 23:08:57(UTC)
LilyMarléne

France   
A little update on our railway adventures:
My son cleaned up quite some tracks ( I told him that if he wants to be professional, he should clean the tracks himself, right? No modeling professionals asks they mum to clean the tracks ;)
An he put together a decent little circuit.
The loco was running quite nicely on it, for about 30 seconds, when it stopped, and there was no way it would go forward..
So we took it apart, and saw that one cable broke off from the motor.
My son got really sad about his loco, so I promised that I would fix it.
I managed to solder it back at night , after I put the kids to sleep and locked the cats outside. And now my husband is convinced that I got a new hobby....
Anyway, the loco is running again, most of the tracks got cleaned, so we are happy, but I really have a hard time with the lights of the locomotive...
If they would not work it would be OK, if they would work, I would be really happy, but instead, the lights turn on and off as the front lightbulb moves and it is quite irritating...
Have you got an idea how to fix the front light?
CD897C54-315A-4008-8BAD-410EC7053B1B.jpeg
Offline jvuye  
#36 Posted : 24 November 2017 12:00:02(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
A little update on our railway adventures: s
My son cleaned up quite some tracks ( I told him that if he wants to be professional, he should clean the tracks himself, right? No modeling professionals asks they mum to clean the tracks ;)
An he put together a decent little circuit.
The loco was running quite nicely on it, for about 30 seconds, when it stopped, and there was no way it would go forward..
So we took it apart, and saw that one cable broke off from the motor.
My son got really sad about his loco, so I promised that I would fix it.
I managed to solder it back at night , after I put the kids to sleep and locked the cats outside. And now my husband is convinced that I got a new hobby....
Anyway, the loco is running again, most of the tracks got cleaned, so we are happy, but I really have a hard time with the lights of the locomotive...
If they would not work it would be OK, if they would work, I would be really happy, but instead, the lights turn on and off as the front lightbulb moves and it is quite irritating...
Have you got an idea how to fix the front light?
CD897C54-315A-4008-8BAD-410EC7053B1B.jpeg

Hi An
Try to unscrew the bulb slightly and superglue the socket.
Then carefully screw the bulb back in until it makes contact.
It by screwing the bulb too tight that the socket pops off the washer.
Seen many of these in my career
Otherwise, I'd be happy to fix that too if you come here.
Cheers
Jacques
Offline river6109  
#37 Posted : 24 November 2017 20:02:35(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
when superglueing make sure no residue from the superglue lands on the contact otherwise your bulb wont work either but a small screwdriver could fix this as well by scratching the contact a little bit back to the bare metal, if necessary

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline LilyMarléne  
#38 Posted : 02 December 2017 23:21:09(UTC)
LilyMarléne

France   
Thank you very much for the tips Jacques and John.
I superglued back the front light and it worked until we had a small accident where the loco got off track at a crossing ...
To be honest I feel that I did my duty as a train mechanicien(ne) for this month and have no desire to take it apart again.
I hope that in January I can organise a little trip to st Cirq to visit Jacques... I told my son to be patient until then and imagine the lights :)))