Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Kapalua  
#1 Posted : 05 November 2017 20:06:47(UTC)
Kapalua

Denmark   
I am sure we all have made Locomotive or train related purchases over the years that in hindsight you might have not made had you done a bit more research or thought things through a bit.

I have had Marklin since the 70s when I received my first Marklin Starter Set, a very basic one but have now earlier this year started the hobby again.

My very first purchase mistake was a Marklin 8356 which is the Crocodile HAMO edition, which we know does not run on Marklin tracks. I of course had no idea that Marklin even made DC Locomotives so never used it yet.

My regret purchase has to be plasticky Brawa 0731, runs great and is AC but not for me.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Kapalua
MrB32  
#2 Posted : 05 November 2017 22:02:41(UTC)

The 3125 "Roter Pfeil". Nice to look at, but the noisiest model I have in the collection, so noisy in fact that it remained in its box for a very long time. Additionally, the motor is known to give up, and in my case, did exactly that the last time I got it out for its yearly run. Of course there is no straight replacement available on the market. There are conversion kits around for the motor and the gears, but these cost as much as a replacement of the same model, so not worth the time and effort in my view at this stage.
It is now a stationary display only model, there to remind me to do my homework when choosing a model.
Offline PeFu  
#3 Posted : 05 November 2017 22:12:10(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: MrB32 Go to Quoted Post
The 3125 "Roter Pfeil". Nice to look at, but the noisiest model I have in the collection, so noisy in fact that it remained in its box for a very long time. Additionally, the motor is known to give up, and in my case, did exactly that the last time I got it out for its yearly run. Of course there is no straight replacement available on the market. There are conversion kits around for the motor and the gears, but these cost as much as a replacement of the same model, so not worth the time and effort in my view at this stage.
It is now a stationary display only model, there to remind me to do my homework when choosing a model.

This text could have been written by me... Blushing
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline sudibarba  
#4 Posted : 05 November 2017 23:05:23(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
All the C sinus loks.
In fact, if possible I will not buy new or used Loks with can motors. I can usually repair
the older style motors and as I live in the USA I do not have a repair expert close by so all must be mailed.
This inflates the cost of repair significantly..

Eric
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by sudibarba
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 05 November 2017 23:36:44(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

Hi,
For model purchases, I believe it is very difficult to do any homework.
And this is exacerbated if you have to buy by mail order.

As someone said on another forum, trade, magazine and personal reviews are not reliable.

I usually dive in and worry about the wisdom of the selection later.
And in each case, there are variable exit or improvement strategies, each of which has its own set of economics.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
MrB32  
#6 Posted : 05 November 2017 23:43:11(UTC)

When you buy used, you a) can and b) must do your homework. A quick check on forums about a particular model should give you an idea of fundamental flaws, then of course the choice is yours to go for it or not based on what you know and can afford. It does help if you can speak German though...

For new models, no other choice than diving in eyes closed.
Offline sudibarba  
#7 Posted : 06 November 2017 01:17:31(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Not sure if my thought was understood. I do not have to buy can motor Loks or C sinus (can?) Loks. New or used.
I have far more than I need anyway. Of course, I am bidding on an old French electric now on Ebay. Oh well, at least I
know it has an old style motor.
Eric
MrB32  
#8 Posted : 06 November 2017 01:49:33(UTC)

Kimball was quoting me :) I think you have been understood :)
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 06 November 2017 02:30:28(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square

There has been another model 3126 and later models although later models have a slight different motor (size), with some mutilation of the interior insert one can replace the older type motor. the noise level is severe but I do get by with it.

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Br502362  
#10 Posted : 06 November 2017 09:33:14(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hmmmm... must be the digital Märklin BR 41 from a starter kit.

Keeps derailing on swithces and even on 5100 radius curves.
My friend and I have tried every possible adjustment to have it run properly. No success.
So it stays stationary at the coaling station Crying

Åke
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline xxup  
#11 Posted : 06 November 2017 10:24:33(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Not so much a mistake as a disappointment, is the Thalys train. I have two complete sets and they both look awesome, but the wheels will come off if you don't treat them with kid gloves - no high speed S-curves for these babies.. They move around my layout like they are just leaving Gare du Nord station - very slowly..

I would like them to move like they were midway between Paris and Brussels... OhMyGod
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Leitner  
#12 Posted : 06 November 2017 11:02:47(UTC)
Leitner

Taiwan, Province Of China   
Definitely the V90 with digital coupling (cod. 37906), the frontal couple bent after a few hours I used it, no way to fix it, loco doesn't run on switches... And for the brief time couple worked they were not even able to sustain an average goods train...

I never bought a lok with digital coupling again.
Ep. III (My layout is set in 1962).
I collect mainly DSB, DB and SBB but I'm quite... Open minded.
I'm quite a big collector of NOHAB lok :)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Leitner
Offline jerdenberg  
#13 Posted : 06 November 2017 12:05:05(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
The MTH Challenger I bought last year, when I lost hope, after waiting for years, that Märklin would ever produce a Challenger model.

The MTH model looks nice, the sounds are nice, and on a straight track it moves fine. Now that I finally have a tischbahn with curves I was surprised by its poor running characteristics. I can understand it doesn't like R2 curves (which I need due to spatial limitations), but even on R3–R5 it runs unevenly, to the point of stalling at low speed; in contrast, the Märklin Big Boys have no problem at all keeping even the lowest speeds constant.

In hindsight, I should have been patient a little longer – the Märklin Challenger was announced only a few months after I bought the MTH model.

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 06 November 2017 14:19:07(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The only purchase I have made that I regret is a Hag SBB dining car I got a few years ago from a second hand dealer. I bought it with a batch of "Light Steel" coaches and when I received the parcel found that the dining car does not match the other coaches in either width or height. In fact it seems to be to a different scale altogether!

Afterwards when I did a bit of research I found out that Hag used to use a slightly larger scale up to a certain point and then brought their trains into line with more accurate HO dimensions.

By the way some of the posts above surprise me. Many of the locos referred to form part of my collection and have given me nothing like the kind of problems I'm reading about!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 06 November 2017 14:42:59(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Not so much a mistake as a disappointment, is the Thalys train. I have two complete sets and they both look awesome, but the wheels will come off if you don't treat them with kid gloves - no high speed S-curves for these babies.. They move around my layout like they are just leaving Gare du Nord station - very slowly..

I would like them to move like they were midway between Paris and Brussels... OhMyGod

I beleive Marklin have modified the bogies so this doesn't happen. It is also a problem with the Tintin version.

Offline foumaro  
#16 Posted : 06 November 2017 14:46:27(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I regretted for purchases i did not do only.
thanks 16 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline danmarklinman  
#17 Posted : 06 November 2017 19:37:17(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I beleive Marklin have modified the bogies so this doesn't happen. It is also a problem with the Tintin version.

Hi, which version has had the bogie modification ?
I regret very much gettting rid of my Thalys👎🏼😱
Mine to had issues with the wheels.
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline Minok  
#18 Posted : 06 November 2017 20:23:27(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Leitner Go to Quoted Post
Definitely the V90 with digital coupling (cod. 37906), the frontal couple bent after a few hours I used it, no way to fix it, loco doesn't run on switches... And for the brief time couple worked they were not even able to sustain an average goods train...

I never bought a lok with digital coupling again.

What is an average goods train from your testing? How many cars? Just curious. I've got a 37600, the V60 smaller brother, also with Telex couplers, so just curious what sort of issues I may be in store for. So far I only tested it by itself on a loop and pulling a single car to test functionality and then stored it away as I'm still designing a layout and don't use it yet to do real work.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#19 Posted : 06 November 2017 21:10:42(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Mine is simple- I used to buy a lot of trains because of "collectibility" instead of (well, I should say in addition to!) what I really, genuinely liked. About 10 years ago I sold all of it this stuff I wasn't crazy about, and all newer- production models sold at a sizeable loss.

Now I just buy what I like, and consider it an investment in happiness Flapper
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline spiderkjetil  
#20 Posted : 06 November 2017 22:37:29(UTC)
spiderkjetil

Norway   
Many years ago, I bought the French SNCF diesel lok 37743 from a swedish auction site. I transfered the money, but never got it from the seller after several attempts buy email. So that was a mistake!

Luckily, I found the same loco in a model train shop in Lyon and "bought it again".
Offline xxup  
#21 Posted : 06 November 2017 22:48:39(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Yep.. I have the Tintin version too.. OhMyGod Any idea of part numbers? It might be a project for when I get rid of the last 9 locos from FD's hit list...

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline rugauger  
#22 Posted : 06 November 2017 23:04:34(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Cheap tools.
Richard
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by rugauger
Offline dominator  
#23 Posted : 06 November 2017 23:32:46(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
THe problems mentioned here should be rectified by Marklin, as they appear to be design faults. If the have modified the bogies, it proves they recognized the problem and they should be held to task about it. They should offer free replacement parts for the problems expressed. Thats the least they could do.

My only possible regrets would be the 46824 paper transport set , bought new. wHAT THE HELL DO I NEED THAT FOR. And possibly the 34121 P2 Reinheim because it is so noisy as it speeds up. goes well though.

I was disappointing here by a supplier who did not know how to track down parts but Since joining this forum, and through my own research, I have solved that issue. After all, we all expect to be able to get parts for our 60-70 year old locos dont we. HA HA.

What this forum needs is a bit of clout. Maybe elect a designated representative to air the problems direct to Marklin. Let them know who that rep is, so they might be inclined to listen. May be wishful thinking.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline DaleSchultz  
#24 Posted : 07 November 2017 02:59:21(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   

Märklin LED interior lights 73400

See
https://cabin-layout.blogspot.com/2007/08/marklin-73400.html
for pictures and reasons for disappointment.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline mike c  
#25 Posted : 07 November 2017 04:43:04(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
My mistake was not sending back the C Tracks from my 29859 Set. I was told that the tracks were from the newer production without the plastic issues, but I have since experienced problems with numerous tracks and can attest that they were indeed from the initial batch that were defective. It is sad that the improvement (over M Track) has a much inferior lifespan than what it was intended to replace.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline PJMärklin  
#26 Posted : 07 November 2017 11:09:05(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

Hello Adrian,

Ahhhhh! - so that explains why we went so very slowly into Gare du Nord : they were worried that the wheels would fall off!!!

UserPostedImage

Regards,

Philip
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline dickinsonj  
#27 Posted : 10 November 2017 14:08:54(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: jerdenberg Go to Quoted Post

In hindsight, I should have been patient a little longer – the Märklin Challenger was announced only a few months after I bought the MTH model.

Jeroen

You might want to sell the MTH Challenger and get the Märklin model, although I know that will cost you a good bit of money. My Challenger runs perfectly everywhere on my layout, just as my Big Boy does and I am 100% satisfied with it.

It is impossible to know the future and sometimes we guess correctly and sometimes we do not!
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline jerdenberg  
#28 Posted : 10 November 2017 14:22:41(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
You might want to sell the MTH Challenger and get the Märklin model, although I know that will cost you a good bit of money. My Challenger runs perfectly everywhere on my layout, just as my Big Boy does and I am 100% satisfied with it.

It is impossible to know the future and sometimes we guess correctly and sometimes we do not!

Indeed; I'm considering that option, but balking at the cost involved …

Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline jcrtrains  
#29 Posted : 10 November 2017 22:47:25(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Good topic.

Lot's of mistakes but none really in the last 10 years. The primary mistakes were mostly cost neutral (ie I unloaded them at a decent price). The mistakes were all in the exotic brass small runs arena. One of them was a dable in Lemaco - I bought the cheapest (ie smallest) model (2nd hand), a BR 36. It did not run well and the detail was frankly weak. It was sold quickly. Another was a Model Loco BR 45, also 2nd hand and one of the models that Model Loco offered as built vs kit form. Just like the Lemaco, weak running and detail and sold. The last of the small run disasters was a Lemke BR 02 201. Same thing but tried to sell it and it was returned to me! Smart buyer! So, actually quite a good looking model so still in a showcase.

Those are the primary real disasters. There are additional things sold that were good on their own merit but just did not fit the current desires.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline Kapalua  
#30 Posted : 11 November 2017 12:52:00(UTC)
Kapalua

Denmark   

I am looking to buy either 3125 or 3126 but would you know the main difference between the two? 3126 sell for a lot more.
One 3125 is listed with Faulhaber Motor, is this the standard motor, or is this an upgrade?
MrB32  
#31 Posted : 11 November 2017 13:01:27(UTC)

3125 = original version
3126 = slower speed with different gearing

Both are noisy

The Faulhaber motor is an upgrade, insist on internal pictures and a running video to make sure the work as been done properly as it requires
- taking off some the original motor mount
- some alterations of the interior
- precise positioning of the motor as it isn't the same size as the original

Offline hxmiesa  
#32 Posted : 14 November 2017 13:04:37(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Without ANY doubt whatsoever;
Lima 149812 AC TEE Cisalpin-gottardo RAE
-With the extra waggon pack. All bought new.
A "beautiful" train, but with so many tecnical flaws that it was just too much.
Side-skirts was an optional fitting, as the train would not negotiate ANY curves with them on. (Obviosly they were only for display-perfect showcasing)
The motor-unit was in the middle of the train, with only one slider. In the middle, making stops in front of signals impossible to control.
There might have been more problems; I really dont recall it that well anymore, as this was almost 30 years ago.
Luckily the shop took it back, and I got a nice BR194 from Märklin instead, around some other things. (The Lima unit was rather expensive!)

Another "regret" is the shady quality of a Roco BR420 S-bahn (orange-grey) train. Obviously an older Röwa part, but already AC from the box.
I was extremely happy to find it so many years after it had gone out of production (I bought it in the year 2000). Found in a famous shop in Andorra... The model is extremely fragile; it snapped one of its plastic cardan-axles when derailing on a slim K-track switch.
Still, it is impressive; Current conducting close-couplers with dove-tail guides. Changing lights and slider pickup according to direction of travel. 4 axles powered with a center can-motor. It was light-years ahead of anything else on the market!
I have mananged to keep it running after fabricating a homemade cardan in metal, but its now noisy and rattling.

I have also had problems with some Märklin equipment, but so far I have always been able to fix those problems myself, so not so many regrets there! (And this shouldnt be a list of all problems experienced in general, either... ;-)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline fkowal  
#33 Posted : 14 November 2017 18:51:47(UTC)
fkowal

Canada   
I have felt my EBay purchase of BR 41 (3082) was a mistake. It arrived in house at 140 Euro and then a absorbed the upgrade fee of C$175 to soundless digitize it to current standards. I have seen new current model BR 41 on retail sale from reputable dealers in Canada for about the same as I have spent on the old 3082 (C$380).
The upside to all this is that it is a lovely model and runs very well on my layout. It also does not make my other steam locomotives look shabby as they are all 80’s and 90’s (3xxx) vintage. The comments by BR502362 (Ake) regarding his starter set BR 41 difficulties made me realize I have a blessing in disguise.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by fkowal
Offline 1borna  
#34 Posted : 15 November 2017 21:13:58(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
We need to be aware that advancing in loyalty to the model does not mean that it will work better or make it safer.
The more small parts will be easier to damage, and the complicated performances with a lot of electronics mean more potential
electrical malfunctions.
It would also apply a familiar thing in the automotive industry - new models do not buy as soon as they come out
the second year when it is seen and eliminated all possible problems (birth defects and childhood illnesses)
I have over 150 models of all generations of Marklina and some of others for AC (I do not know exactly how much) but not from
the last ten years I can say that the first generation is doing the most reliable.
We buy models to play and to ride and not to the showcase, for her are good and static models!

Edited by user 17 November 2017 21:28:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 8 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline Kapalua  
#35 Posted : 17 November 2017 14:36:57(UTC)
Kapalua

Denmark   
3125 = original version
3126 = slower speed with different gearing

Both are noisy

The Faulhaber motor is an upgrade, insist on internal pictures and a running video to make sure the work as been done properly as it requires
- taking off some the original motor mount
- some alterations of the interior
- precise positioning of the motor as it isn't the same size as the original

As both 3125 and 3126 are noisy I ended up getting the 3605 and 3127. Both are digital so probably a better buy long term. Received the 3605 and that one isn't any more noisy than majority of my Marklin Analog.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Kapalua
Offline Mark_1602  
#36 Posted : 18 November 2017 10:35:50(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Hi all,

Back in the 1990s, I bought a few expensive Märklin sets that I shouldn't even have considered in the first place:

- 2670 Swedish wooden train set with D type electric locomotive: looks nice, but the small flat collector motor in the locomotive isn't really powerful enough to pull the complete train as every car has a slider for interior lighting

- 2680 + 4396 King Ludwig train set: the kind of overpriced model that hardly anybody would use on a layout, looks kitschy in my opinion

- 2681 Emperor Wilhelm train set: same story except that it looks better, but the Trix locomotive got negative reviews

I think all of those listed above were ripoffs, among the first in a very long list of so-called collector's items that initially cost a lot but gradually lost their value after a number of years. The good news about my purchases is that I managed to sell them without losing too much money, so I don't have any deep regrets. I've learned from my mistakes in the meantime, and the few newly released Märklin items I still buy nowadays could actually be used on a realistic layout.

One mistake buy of the last five years was a 39007, a digital BR 01 released a few years ago. It had contact problems on clean C-rails that other digital locos I tested on the same track didn't have, so I decided to sell all newly-designed Märklin steam locos. If I want steam, I'll just buy vintage models because they never have contact problems as long as they're properly serviced.

I think we should just enjoy this hobby without feeling sorry about past purchases. Mistake buys are best sold, even at a loss, and may even be useful if we learn from them.

Best regards,

Mark

P.S. Another one I might add to the list is 3121, a Belgian Micheline rail car that looked cute but was impractical due to the weak motor. I just didn't like it.
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline Michael4  
#37 Posted : 18 November 2017 14:29:38(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
As can be seen elsewhere attempts to buy cheap locomotives for spare parts have not gone well...all is not necessarily what it seems.

Buying expensive springs for pantographs on the internet that look very good, are the right size, but have insufficient strength.

Buying a carriage that resisted all attempts to illuminate it until I discovered it had insulated wheels.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline dickinsonj  
#38 Posted : 18 November 2017 15:26:58(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Mark_1602 Go to Quoted Post

One mistake buy of the last five years was a 39007, a digital BR 01 released a few years ago. It had contact problems on clean C-rails that other digital locos I tested on the same track didn't have, so I decided to sell all newly-designed Märklin steam locos. If I want steam, I'll just buy vintage models because they never have contact problems as long as they're properly serviced.

I have made my share of choices which I later regretted but not enough to have sold any of them yet. I have upgraded all of my older steamers and they do run very nicely and cost less than buying new.

One choice I don't regret at all is my 39007 which runs perfectly. Märklin is famous these days for spotty quality control, so I am guessing that yours needed repair. I have a number of newer Märklin steamers which run extremely well and which I have no regrets about buying at all. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline Mark_1602  
#39 Posted : 18 November 2017 17:36:41(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

One choice I don't regret at all is my 39007 which runs perfectly. Märklin is famous these days for spotty quality control, so I am guessing that yours needed repair. I have a number of newer Märklin steamers which run extremely well and which I have no regrets about buying at all. Cool

Hi,

I've seen quite a number of complaints about contact problems (edit: with some digital Märklin locos) in MRR forums. In the past, all axles of Märklin locos were used to conduct the electric current from the motor back into the track, but that's no longer the case nowadays. I've limited my collection of non-vintage Märklin items to DSB diesel locos and rolling stock (plus some DB freight cars) to stop it from getting out of control. Anyway, it's a shame for Märklin if a brand-new 39007 purchased from an official dealer needed repair.

Best regards,
Mark

Edit/P.S. I suppose that Märklin is aware of this problem and has tried to address it in the last few years, for example by having only two traction tires on the driving wheels and placing them diagonally to improve electric contact between the wheels and the rails. One recent model that I have bought and which doesn't have any contact problems at all is the new Märklin Nohab; I have ordered this year's DSB version.

Edited by user 19 November 2017 06:41:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
Offline perz  
#40 Posted : 21 December 2017 00:05:13(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
The only one model I am really disappointed with is the 39700 SBBTEE diesel railcar set. It is a notorious derailer and thus in practice useless on a layout.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by perz
Offline mike c  
#41 Posted : 21 December 2017 16:49:41(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: perz Go to Quoted Post
The only one model I am really disappointed with is the 39700 SBBTEE diesel railcar set. It is a notorious derailer and thus in practice useless on a layout.

I solved this issue on our 3071 by adding a weight inside the front half of the pilot coach. The problem is that there is little weight to the coach and the slider has a tendency to lift the wheels off the rails, especially when passing over switch tracks or other sections where the slider is pushed up by the design of the studs.

On the 39700, like the earlier 3471, you may have to be a little more technical, as the presence of the interior details complicates the installation of a weight. The earlier 3070/3071 had no details, which made the addition of a weight child's play.

Regards

Mike C

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Dave Banks  
#42 Posted : 22 December 2017 07:20:30(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
I most regret buying from Märklin 37521 & 37522 Seetal De 6/6 crocodiles. These are without a doubt my all time favourites but flawed with problems as time went by. Zinkpest & brittle plastic gears of all things. What were they thinking??? Confused.
D.A.Banks
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline Troy Yang  
#43 Posted : 24 December 2017 08:34:08(UTC)
Troy Yang

United States   
3125 Red Arrow. Beautiful to look at. Terrible and noisy motor. Mine burned out and I had to replace it. Cheap plastic gears are used. Runs too slow.

37521 Seetal crocodile. The frame disintegrated from zink pest.
Marklin HO - all eras and everything.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Troy Yang
Offline Markus Schild  
#44 Posted : 24 December 2017 09:15:12(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

Sometimes in the late 1990s my dealer sold me a MAXI - nickel - plated loco. That was a mistake. I had to buy rails, wagons, more locos.... Blink

Regards

Markus
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline cookee_nz  
#45 Posted : 24 December 2017 10:28:07(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Sometimes in the late 1990s my dealer sold me a MAXI - nickel - plated loco. That was a mistake. I had to buy rails, wagons, more locos.... Blink

Regards

Markus

Lol, he saw you coming LOL

Just imagine if he had a Platinum Croc in stock!
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#46 Posted : 24 December 2017 14:26:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Regards

Markus

I have a nickel plated four wheel coach to go with it ... IIRC it was the MAXI Nurnberg show item one year. BigGrin

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Richard556  
#47 Posted : 01 January 2018 10:59:35(UTC)
Richard556

New Zealand   
I’ve had more successes than disappointments but there have been some disappointments over the years.

This year’s classic was the Märklin 37182 Bavarian S3/6 from the 1996 “insider tour”. Lovely loco but just way way way too bright green! I think I even read posts to that effect here before I purchased it but sometimes you have make your own mistakes. From photos and videos the colour scheme is faithful to the prototype from 1996 but it just didn’t look right next to my era I locos. Fortunately I knew someone who had to matching passenger coaches so it was offloaded at a loss and we’re both happy.

Another is the 26610 henschel wegmann set - I actually like the look of it but the esu decoder it is shipped with drops out so much that it can’t make around my home layout. A Roco SJ Da locomotive bought this year (also a beautiful model) has a similar issue. At least the decoders can be changed but you shouldn’t have to...

I’ve also had the same issues with the 3125 red arrow and 37906 v90 with telex as others. The other one would be the stunning Baden IVh loco from the Märklin 26922 orient express set - again a beautiful loco but it lacks sufficient pulling power even on 3% grades for what is admittedly a heavy set. However even with that I don’t regret buying this set.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Richard556
Offline Rinus  
#48 Posted : 03 January 2018 17:43:38(UTC)
Rinus

Over the years I bought some locomotives that disappointed me in terms of pulling power or driving characteristics. Two however are worth to be mentioned:

Märklin v36 in red livery. Very sensitive to bad contacts especially on switches and when it moves ... its louder than a loco equipped with sound. Great test train however. When this one does well everything does.

Worst of all is a recent buy. A Piko Br E04. Weak headlights, poor driving characteristics, very noisy out of the box. Returned it twice. First time decoder was changed, second time the motor. Even then it would not move properly so I opened it myself and found the gear wheels out of allignment. I tried to repair it but did not succeed. Piko did not accept a third repair since they argued I had opened the train myself and had done damage beyond repair and beyond their warranty.

The Br E04 now has its static place on the shunting yard and I will never buy a Piko again.

But overall I’m quite satisfied with most purchases.

Rinus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rinus
Offline PJMärklin  
#49 Posted : 04 January 2018 07:52:04(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Rinus Go to Quoted Post

Worst of all is a recent buy. A Piko Br E04. Weak headlights, poor driving characteristics, very noisy out of the box. Returned it twice. First time decoder was changed, second time the motor. Even then it would not move properly so I opened it myself and found the gear wheels out of allignment. I tried to repair it but did not succeed. Piko did not accept a third repair since they argued I had opened the train myself and had done damage beyond repair and beyond their warranty.
The Br E04 now has its static place on the shunting yard and I will never buy a Piko again...
Rinus

Hello Rinus,

Thank you for your post and words-of-warning. I think this topic serves a very useful role in informing members in regard to their future purchases.

Have you offered such comments re the Piko E04 to benefit those in any other forums?

In the last half decade or so I have become somewhat enamored by the few Piko locos that I have bought (in quite contrast to the other non-märklin 3-rail locos that I have purchased in the last 35 years) but I will be a bit more cautious, hesitant and more web-researched in the future.

Thanks again for your information.

Regards,

PJ

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Rinus  
#50 Posted : 04 January 2018 18:20:32(UTC)
Rinus

Hello PJ, haven’t posted this on other forums since this is the only forum I’m active on (I’ll try to be more active this year then in 2017 Sleep ).

Also It might have been incidental as I read others have good experiences with their Piko’s. However when I had a choice of ordering a E52 in 2017, I must admit I preferred the Fleischmann over the Piko based on this experience.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rinus