Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Michael4  
#1 Posted : 08 November 2017 17:06:00(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I'm repairing an old loco that has been in the family for years and my parts box being empty I've just bought a cheap untested 3000 off Ebay

UserPostedImageIMG_3202 by dralowid, on Flickr

Nothing special about that.

However, on receipt I notice that it has a manual reversing lever and two headlight bulbs. Marked 'Made in Germany' which I thought meant post re-unification but I guess not in this case. Lifting the lid reveals the older style 'claw' reversing unit and the motor 'face' made from composite/brass etc, ie not moulded plastic. I've only seen these features on models with metal bodies.

UserPostedImageIMG_3203 by dralowid, on Flickr

Is it possible to date locos by the type of reversing unit or motor? If so can anyone offer a date?

Although a common engine the fact that it has lasted this long makes me reluctant to break it down so I guess I'll have to look for another!

Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 08 November 2017 17:16:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Having the reversing lever and old style motor plate definitely dates it to the early-mid 50's.

Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 08 November 2017 17:19:05(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi Michael

Clearly one from the first years of production! Just like the one I got in 1953.
Yes very original as it is!
This was the version produced from 1953 to 1956, still with the original "two-pulses" inversion relay.
Good find!
Cheers
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline kweekalot  
#4 Posted : 08 November 2017 17:52:01(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
Is it possible to date locos by the type of reversing unit or motor? If so can anyone offer a date?

Yes, this is the reverse unit typ 6,3, so 1955-56, see picture

UserPostedImage
Offline Michael4  
#5 Posted : 08 November 2017 19:44:43(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the info. So am I to understand that the marking 'Made in Germany' preceeds 'Made in Western Germany' and returns post unification?

The loco runs and the lights work even though the brushes need replacing, a little tinkering at will be fine.
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 08 November 2017 21:30:17(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Thanks for the info. So am I to understand that the marking 'Made in Germany' preceeds 'Made in Western Germany' and returns post unification?

The loco runs and the lights work even though the brushes need replacing, a little tinkering at will be fine.

I've seen (and have ) Made in US Zone Germany as well - so for things related to Germany its a mess between 1945 to 1991, when the official end to the WW2 division of occupation zones was formally ended.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Johnvr  
#7 Posted : 09 November 2017 07:06:51(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hello,

A lovely loco like that deserves to be kept in its original state.
There is so much history attached to it, and the reversing with the double click and lever is quite special.

Regards,BigGrin
John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline Markus Schild  
#8 Posted : 09 November 2017 09:56:06(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
I

However, on receipt I notice that it has a manual reversing lever and two headlight bulbs. Marked 'Made in Germany' which I thought meant post re-unification but I guess not in this case.

Markus

Hi Michael,

Writing "Made in Germany", "Made in Western Germany" or "Made in West Germany" was a delicate poltical statement during the 1950s until the 1970s. Until 1969 it was the general position of the West German politics was, that there is only one German Republic, which is represented by the government in Bonn (West Germany).
In this period for exporters in West - Germany this was a dilemma. On the one side nobody wanted to legitimate the GDR by confessing that there is a another German state. On the other side also the GDR marked their products "Made in Germany". But writing "Made in West Germany" would confess that there is also another Germany.
So the producers in the Nuremberg area and also Kibri used "Made US - ZONE" or "Made in US Zone Germany" until the early 1970s. That was political correct and did not confess that there is also a Soviet zone.

MÄRKLIN started writing "Made in Western Germany" in the early 1960s. Note that it is "Western" and not "West". So it was a geographical origin and not a political statement.

Some things seem to be really strange in these days in todays view.

BTW, today, 28 years ago, the Berlin wall felt.

Regards

Markus
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Michael4  
#9 Posted : 09 November 2017 12:08:45(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Markus, many thanks for clarification, it is as well that we remember these things and rather good that a simple 3000 can start a history lesson.

I've started taking a look at others, just to make the point I have three 3029 all marked 'Made in Germany West' which almost looks like an afterthought and certainly in the spirit of what you say.

All 3001s I have are 'Made in Germany'...but I will stop boring everyone now!

28 years a certain D. Hasselhoff has yet to retire!

Michael
Offline Nigel Packer  
#10 Posted : 09 November 2017 12:44:30(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Markus, many thanks for clarification, it is as well that we remember these things and rather good that a simple 3000 can start a history lesson.

Michael

It probably has "CM 800" marked on the cab (on the other side from your photo), as that was its original model number, before the numeric numbers were introduced.

I would just give it a clean and otherwise leave it as it is.

Not valuable in monetary terms, but a real little character that should be preserved!

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nigel Packer
Offline Michael4  
#11 Posted : 09 November 2017 18:14:52(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Nigel Packer Go to Quoted Post

Michael

It probably has "CM 800" marked on the cab (on the other side from your photo), as that was its original model number, before the numeric numbers were introduced.

I would just give it a clean and otherwise leave it as it is.

Not valuable in monetary terms, but a real little character that should be preserved!

Nigel

Indeed it has. It has been saved from the ignominy of being broken down for parts and will be pressed into service. In the meantime I will look for another example to sacrifice!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline Minok  
#12 Posted : 09 November 2017 19:48:25(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post

So the producers in the Nuremberg area

Hi Markus,

Can you or others explain to me why in english, and its still continued today, that the city of Nürnberg is refered to as Nuremberg.
One can allow for the lack of umlaut support and expect spellings of Nuernberg or Nurnberg, but there is no "m" in the name of the city.
(München is another issue, and Cologne is a remant of Roman times)... but we now no longer say Peking. What is up with that?
Why don't we call things by their official local names - after all the country and certainly the town/city is the authority on what it is called.
---
My YouTube Channel:
MrB32  
#13 Posted : 09 November 2017 20:50:20(UTC)

This is the same in other languages, for example the French call Nürnberg Nuremberg. This is the result of a long evolution of the different languages. It probably started as a Latin name, which was then absorbed by the different languages in a way that it could be spoken by the population of the respective states. The locals slowly changed the name to Nürnberg, whilst others adopted other pronunciations and spelling.

Add a bit of politics, with French being the official diplomatic language for centuries, the Norman conquest of England (remember 1066?), which was followed by an absorption of French vocabulary by the local languages, and you arrive at the modern English spelling of Nuremberg.

(lots of shortcuts taken to keep it short)
Offline dominator  
#14 Posted : 09 November 2017 20:52:26(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Minok, I agree with you. We are off topic but history is important. Why dont we get taught to pronounce "foreign" names correctly. When people from other countires come into my shop, I make an effort to pronounce their given name correctly. When that have left the shop , i write there name phonetically against their name in my computer then practice saying it when I get the chance. Its not easy, especially when other languages use different different sounds from what we are used to in English.
Why Marklin when I often see Maerklin with 2 dots over the a or e?????. How should that name be pronounced.

We write Germany, and here we pronounce it jer-man-e, where the jer is a longer vowel sound and the man and e are short vowel sounds. Is that correct?

Often people who come to NZ, change their names slightly so us kiwis can say their name.

A friend who came over from Holland, Had a name of which the short version of it was JOachim. One of his new friends just said. "you look like a Tim'', and that's what he was called from then on.

All the best.

Have fun.

Dereck

I haven't yet built a proper scenic railway yet, but when I do, it would have German and Swiss names, so I had better know how to say them correctly.

Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
MrB32  
#15 Posted : 09 November 2017 21:00:20(UTC)

How to pronounce Märklin:
Go to: https://translate.google.com/#de/en/Märklin, and hit the speaker button :)
Offline RayF  
#16 Posted : 09 November 2017 21:36:03(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post

So the producers in the Nuremberg area

Hi Markus,

Can you or others explain to me why in english, and its still continued today, that the city of Nürnberg is refered to as Nuremberg.
One can allow for the lack of umlaut support and expect spellings of Nuernberg or Nurnberg, but there is no "m" in the name of the city.
(München is another issue, and Cologne is a remant of Roman times)... but we now no longer say Peking. What is up with that?
Why don't we call things by their official local names - after all the country and certainly the town/city is the authority on what it is called.

Place names are no different to any other words in being spelt and pronounced differently in different languages. Shall we make all English people call Spain España, or all French say London instead of Londres?

Let us celebrate the diversity instead of questioning it!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline mike c  
#17 Posted : 09 November 2017 23:59:07(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: MrB32 Go to Quoted Post
This is the same in other languages, for example the French call Nürnberg Nuremberg. This is the result of a long evolution of the different languages. It probably started as a Latin name, which was then absorbed by the different languages in a way that it could be spoken by the population of the respective states. The locals slowly changed the name to Nürnberg, whilst others adopted other pronunciations and spelling.

Add a bit of politics, with French being the official diplomatic language for centuries, the Norman conquest of England (remember 1066?), which was followed by an absorption of French vocabulary by the local languages, and you arrive at the modern English spelling of Nuremberg.

(lots of shortcuts taken to keep it short)

The French probably called Nuernberg "Nurembourg". The English used an anglicized version of the French name to refer to the city.
I could not find a latin origin for the name. The Berg in the name probably refers to the castle.

I was always fascinated as a child when the Swiss would refer to international cities by their original names as opposed to the German names.
So, Milan was Milano and not Mailand and Florence was Firenze and so on...
Then again, if travelling from Italy, you had to be sure that the train to Monaco took you to Munich while the train to Monte Carlo took you to Monaco.

But, back to the original topic. If you have a classic engine with the three setting reverse unit, there should be no reason not to digitize it. The third setting is available by keeping the lok lights on between commands. It would be cool if they made decoders which allowed for a third setting between forward and reverse to replicate the original function.

Regards

Mike C

Offline baggio  
#18 Posted : 10 November 2017 01:13:55(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: MrB32 Go to Quoted Post
How to pronounce Märklin:
Go to: https://translate.google.com/#de/en/Märklin, and hit the speaker button :)

That is not, however, the way I hear a German-Canadian friend on this forum pronounce it. As I recall, the "r" is not pronounced and the ending is more like an open "E".
MrB32  
#19 Posted : 10 November 2017 01:22:02(UTC)

Who would have thought that one of the 6 million 3000s produced would generate a conversation about history and linguistics :)

Your friend speaks a german dialect, Google speaks standard German. Could be compared to French as spoken in France and Joual as spoken in your beautiful Quebec province.
This is my last post in this topic :)
Offline PJMärklin  
#20 Posted : 10 November 2017 09:40:31(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Place names are no different to any other words in being spelt and pronounced differently in different languages. Shall we make all English people call Spain España, or all French say London instead of Londres?

Or make the Strines say Sydney instead of Sinny?Laugh
Offline xxup  
#21 Posted : 10 November 2017 21:39:43(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I call Sydney a dump.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline cookee_nz  
#22 Posted : 11 November 2017 02:08:31(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
I call Sydney a dump.

Ooh that's a bit harsh Adrian, what did the dump ever do to hurt you? LOL LOL

Edited by user 11 November 2017 06:55:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline xxup  
#23 Posted : 11 November 2017 07:52:02(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I was being nice.. It's a former convict settlement that was allowed to grow into a major city.. Melbourne is much better.. Canberra is beautiful if a little dull with the exception of the AWM and a few other places. Brisbane, another former convict settlement is a risk for becoming another Sydney.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline Legless  
#24 Posted : 12 November 2017 03:26:08(UTC)
Legless

Australia   
As for being born in Sydney, it’s a great place to visit, but would not live there.
Melbourne on the other hand is great for coffee shops but still to busy.
Legless
Era's 1 to 111,C track,k track
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Legless
Offline Ausipeet  
#25 Posted : 12 November 2017 06:14:37(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
Come on Down to good old Adelaide the country style main City of Australia. not to small and not to big just right. Although there is a great LACK of Marklin here.
Offline Rwill  
#26 Posted : 12 November 2017 15:11:21(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Sorry to go back nearly on topic!

I am a digital only person but inspired and intrigued by the OP, I flicked onto EBay for Marklin 3000 and saw a few examples, but in amongst them although described as a 3000 was a digital 30000 on auction fifty minutes remaining at £25. I lobbed on a bid for £27 and went and watched Master chef and forgot all about it until my emails began to buzz that I was now the proud owner of a new lok which arrived beautifully packed just two days later. So its not new as its still fx but condition is almost as new - the complete lack of "made in somewhere" on the lok or the packaging means it probably heads from the East. A little drop of Oil and it runs beautifully the spectrum of digital functions is amazing - you can have the front headlights on or off and the couplers are those grappling irons that will hook onto any thing. But since it has arrived I have played with nothing else as it potters through the shunting yard or whizzes round the layout at totally unrealistic speed!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline baggio  
#27 Posted : 12 November 2017 15:30:36(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
whizzes round the layout at totally unrealistic speed!

That's how I like them! BigGrin ThumpUp

I have a 30000, too, and it does run nicely.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline David Dewar  
#28 Posted : 12 November 2017 15:33:28(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Regarding spelling etc if you live in Scotland nobody knows what we are saying anyway.

I still have my 3000 and it clatters round the layout as a good as the day it was born.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Michael4  
#29 Posted : 12 November 2017 16:59:45(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
...if only 3029 had lights...
Offline kiwiAlan  
#30 Posted : 12 November 2017 20:13:35(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Regarding spelling etc if you live in Scotland nobody knows what we are saying anyway.

I still have my 3000 and it clatters round the layout as a good as the day it was born.

Someone once told me that Marklin should be pronounced so it sounds similar to the Scottish McLean.

Offline baggio  
#31 Posted : 12 November 2017 20:39:02(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Someone once told me that Marklin should be pronounced so it sounds similar to the Scottish McLean.

Your friend is probably right. See my post no 18 on point.

For me, however, I will always pronounce Marklin as I read it, phonetically. BigGrin

Offline 1borna  
#32 Posted : 13 November 2017 19:13:28(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
Well, I have just recently serviced one such 3000 of the first series
UserPostedImage
She was next to her next generation
UserPostedImage
I will take more of them in my workshop (when they come in line)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 1borna
MrB32  
#33 Posted : 13 November 2017 20:20:42(UTC)

for the nostalgics... and for the pronunciation...

Offline Thewolf  
#34 Posted : 14 November 2017 00:32:54(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post

Your friend is probably right. See my post no 18 on point.

For me, however, I will always pronounce Marklin as I read it, phonetically. BigGrin

Baggio

I understand what you want to say...but I learnt German in the high school in Belgium forty five years ago for 3 years (3 last years) and we pronouced Marklin as mèreklin... Cool

Thewolf

Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline xxup  
#35 Posted : 14 November 2017 06:04:27(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Years ago, long before they were popular in Australia, I worked in an Audi dealership. The service manager and I were debating the pronunciation of Audi. He and many of our customers pronounced it Ordee (phonetic spelling here - as in audio), while I (I also owned a second hand one at the time) pronounced it Owdee (Phonetic spelling again - like howdy).. While this debate was going on the owner of the business walked in and said, "you are both wrong. If you buy one from us you can call it whatever you want." LOL
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Michael4  
#36 Posted : 15 November 2017 16:54:04(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Back to the original topic, it has happened to me yet again!

UserPostedImageIMG_3206 by dralowid, on Flickr

Why can I no longer recognise a straightforward 3000? Before I end up with sidings full of the things I'm going to give it a rest, unless of course someone can tell me that the field magnet inside a digital 3000 is the same as the one in an elderly analogue 3005?
MrB32  
#37 Posted : 15 November 2017 16:56:11(UTC)

it is the same...

Small flat connector motor (aka. SCFM)
Offline Michael4  
#38 Posted : 15 November 2017 18:22:27(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Many thanks, bacon saved!
Offline ShannonN  
#39 Posted : 08 December 2017 03:13:07(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
I call Sydney a dump.

That's why I moved to Qld in1991

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ShannonN
Offline Minok  
#40 Posted : 08 December 2017 22:16:01(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

The Google pronunciation is correct "high German".. The various regional accents in German not considered.

Mehr-klin

I can imagine someone pronouncing it Mehr-kleen, but that would seem odd, given how literal German written to verbal conversions are.
For it to be pronounced Mehr-kleen, I'd expect it to be spelled Märklien, which it is not.

So I'll just stick to calling the big city on the US east coast New Amsterdam, because thats what it was in the past? :)

Local historical spellings were fine in the old days of pre-1990s when most discussion and interaction was still regional or maybe national, but in today's world discussions are all international and you have to expect that you will end up interacting with a local to a place (local covers regional I suppose). So if someone talks to me about Nuremberg, I guess I will have to ask "what the heck are you talking about?" Ok, off the soap-box now.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline Minok  
#41 Posted : 08 December 2017 22:19:22(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Years ago, long before they were popular in Australia, I worked in an Audi dealership. The service manager and I were debating the pronunciation of Audi. He and many of our customers pronounced it Ordee (phonetic spelling here - as in audio), while I (I also owned a second hand one at the time) pronounced it Owdee (Phonetic spelling again - like howdy).. While this debate was going on the owner of the business walked in and said, "you are both wrong. If you buy one from us you can call it whatever you want." LOL

I'd be really curious if one can clarify for me why it is that Commonwealth related countries insist on pronouncing an r in words that don't have one?
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline ShannonN  
#42 Posted : 08 December 2017 23:00:39(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   

Ever had anyone call it an A ooooo dee? I 've heard a Frenchman call that, but then it sounds like an orgasm LOL

Offline ShannonN  
#43 Posted : 08 December 2017 23:03:00(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

I'd be really curious if one can clarify for me why it is that Commonwealth related countries insist on pronouncing an r in words that don't have one?

Give me five examples of common names/usage and I'll tell you. I believe as an Aussie I can actually speak British English as well as strine LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ShannonN
Online river6109  
#44 Posted : 08 December 2017 23:37:55(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
...if only 3029 had lights...

mine has and a telex coupling

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Online river6109  
#45 Posted : 08 December 2017 23:44:47(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Why not come to Perth, this years Christmas celebration includes looking at a 1 million dollar plastic sculpture in Forrest place, this should be a lot of fun.
Why is Hannover spelled only with one "n" in English ?

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline ShannonN  
#46 Posted : 09 December 2017 02:51:50(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Why not come to Perth, this years Christmas celebration includes looking at a 1 million dollar plastic sculpture in Forrest place, this should be a lot of fun.
Why is Hannover spelled only with one "n" in English ?

John

I have always spelt Hannover with two nn, Americans spell it with one as does the American spell check programme on this forum, perhaps many see the spellchecker (here) saying word is mispelt and hit correct - therefore changing it to US spelling not English ( British) spelling?

Lets get the webmaster to change the spellchecker to British?
Blessings Shanny

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by ShannonN