Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#1 Posted : 17 October 2017 02:15:49(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hi Marklin friends,

The time period surrounding WWII is of particular interest and a popular area of research for our studies of Marklin. We have discussed previously and I have written an article with the help of others on this topic. On eBay-DE an interesting item which illuminates the position Marklin was in during the War:

https://rover.ebay.com/r..._trksid%3Dp2047675.l2557

I am sure our German speakers will provide a more popular translation, but this is the first time I have seen this letter discussing the ordering of items during wartime. Marklin makes a plea to its customers to put orders on hold due to the shortage of raw materials. The conclusion is also illuminating and something I have not seen before on a Marklin document. We have seen that Marklin produced items such as the 406 flags and Furherwagon but only reluctantly showed support for the party. As with nearly all manufacturers they did have to support the wartime effort. Coincidently offered on ebay is a piece for the MG42 machine gun produced by Marklin according to their production code "bkg"

https://rover.ebay.com/r...d%3Dp2060353.m1438.l2649

I look forward to your comments and any discoveries related to Marklin during wartime.

Best,

Paul
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2017 02:31:31(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Interesting.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
#3 Posted : 17 October 2017 02:37:19(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hi Dale,

It certainly is - and something that I was quite shocked to see. It is however important to take into account the historical context of the time since the letter was written in 1939.

Paul
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 17 October 2017 09:37:20(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dale,

It certainly is - and something that I was quite shocked to see. It is however important to take into account the historical context of the time since the letter was written in 1939.

Paul

An 'official' factory document that signs off with "Heil Hitler" is bound to spark some controversy but from what I have read, from about 1933 it was a required salutation rather than by choice.

Interesting indeed, thanks Paul
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline LMS800  
#5 Posted : 17 October 2017 14:03:20(UTC)
LMS800

Germany   
Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Marklin friends,

The time period surrounding WWII is of particular interest and a popular area of research for our studies of Marklin. We have discussed previously and I have written an article with the help of others on this topic. On eBay-DE an interesting item which illuminates the position Marklin was in during the War:

https://rover.ebay.com/r..._trksid%3Dp2047675.l2557

I am sure our German speakers will provide a more popular translation, but this is the first time I have seen this letter discussing the ordering of items during wartime. Marklin makes a plea to its customers to put orders on hold due to the shortage of raw materials. The conclusion is also illuminating and something I have not seen before on a Marklin document. We have seen that Marklin produced items such as the 406 flags and Furherwagon but only reluctantly showed support for the party. As with nearly all manufacturers they did have to support the wartime effort. Coincidently offered on ebay is a piece for the MG42 machine gun produced by Marklin according to their production code "bkg"

https://rover.ebay.com/r...d%3Dp2060353.m1438.l2649

I look forward to your comments and any discoveries related to Marklin during wartime.

Best,

Paul

Hello Paul,
I am sorry but I don't see the letter "discussing the ordering of items during wartime"... When I open the link you quoted I see 2 letters from 1938. Do I miss something ???
Thanks
Wolf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LMS800
#6 Posted : 17 October 2017 14:25:18(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hi Wolf,

It's nice to hear from you. Since the item has ended I think you are seeing "similar items" - scroll down a bit and you will see the ended auction. You can find the listing directly with eBay Item Number 232512204324

Best,

Paul
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline Pmare4  
#7 Posted : 21 October 2017 07:32:18(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Hi Paul,

I've translated the letter and you can read it below:

Subject: Delivery
We must ask our valued customers today,

To refrain from the transmission of further orders.

It is extremely embarrassing for us to have to send notes of shortage day by day.

We were already compelled from the 30th September to say that it would not be possible for us to accept further new contracts. This note was thus sent under the constraints of these conditions. It was no pleasure for us to give this news, and if the orders which had been received by us were to be regarded as proof of the popularity of Märklin products, we must say today that the attempt to place further orders is futile. We still have delivery obligations from previous times and we can't even fulfil these completely by far. We therefore urge our valued customers to sell only what is available in their own stock.

Today we would also strongly recommend not to rely on new deliveries after the holidays. With the low raw material allocation we could not create any reserves. In any case, the material collection will create a very important limitation. We cannot say today what and when we can deliver during the next year. We ourselves are not yet sure of the material allocation and are therefore not yet in a position today to promise our customers certain things.

Heil Hitler!
Gebr. Märklin & Cie.

And here is the original German version:

Betr.: Lieferunqen
Wir müssen heute unsere geehrte Kundschaft erneut bitten,

von der Ubersendung weiterer Aufträge Abstand zu nehmen.

Es ist uns wirklich peinlich, tagtaeglich Straße von Abschreibungen versenden zu muessen.

Als wir bereits unterm 30. September uns genötigt sahen, mitzuteilen, daß es uns nicht möglich sei, weitere neue Aufträge anzunehmen, so geschah dies unter dem Zwang der Verhaeltnisse. Es war uns kein Vergnügen, diese Nachricht geben zu muessen und wenn die uns trotzdem zugekommenen Auftraege als Beweis for die Beliebtheit der Märklin-Erzeugnisse zu werten sind, so müssen wir heute sagen, daß der Versuch, weitere Bestellungen unterzubringen, zwecklos ist. Wir haben von früher her noch Lieferungsverpflichtungen und selbst diesen können wir bei weitem nicht voll nachkommen. Wir empfehlen daher unserer geschaetzten Kundschaft dringend, nur das zu verkaufen, was am eigenen Lager vorhanden ist.

Wir möchten heute sodann auch dringend empfehlen, sich nicht auf Neulieferungen nach dem Feste zu verlassen. Bei der geringen Rohmaterialienzuteilung konnten wir keine Reserven schaffen. Die Kollektion wird auf ieden Fall eine ganz wesentliche Einschraenkung erfahren, was und wann wir im naechsten Jahre werden liefern können, können wir heute noch nicht sagen. Wir selbst können bezügl. der Materialzuteilung noch nicht klar sehen und sind daher auch nicht in der Lage, unserer geschaetzten Kundschaft heute schon Bestimmtes zu versprechen.

Heil Hitler!
Gebr. Märklin & Cie.

regards
Peter
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Pmare4