Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 16 September 2017 07:42:06(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi all,
I am not in the habit of complaining, although I have been known to rant a bit.
So here is my latest rant.

I am a bit tired of Marklin's stage model photography.
The 241 model release is the latest in this style.
See the PDF files on https://www.maerklin.de/en/lp/20...he-golden-era-of-travel/

Many of Marklins staged photographs look like the model is in a disused gravel quarry, with a false background.
The track ballasting edge is not neat (like it was in the steam era) and looks like gravel is just heaped everywhere.
And mostly not even a colour to enhance the model.

We are looking at serious money for many of these (the UP Challenger was another awful stage).
Come on Marklin, please do it better.
Make it "look" expensive, and worth the money.
Picky.. picky....

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Pmare4  
#2 Posted : 16 September 2017 09:47:05(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

Tell me about it! I'm still waiting for them to bring back the '60s line drawings. Flapper LOL Laugh BigGrin

Seriously though, I really can't imagine anyone under 50 (no offence) looking at this year's start up catalog - it looks like half the pictures were taken in a hospital room. Even the description of the 30000 is unreadable to anyone who can't understand Marklin digital terms. See the comparison below:

3000 Catalog.JPG

regards
Peter Cool
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Pmare4
Offline NS1200  
#3 Posted : 16 September 2017 10:20:20(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Yeah,the sixties dynamic drawings were great for your imagination,what would it be like to own such a great Marklin model?!
The photograph of the new 241 itself is superb,not so much for the ballasting of the track,indeed,indeed.
In a way,the C track is the handicap here,very hard to match with realistic ballast around the track.

https://i.pinimg.com/564...d5ba62fc497a77c31fbc.jpg

I wanted it so bad,took me 40 years to get it,the Santa Fe F7...................

Best regards from another grumpy old man,

Paul.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 16 September 2017 12:32:49(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Pmare4 Go to Quoted Post
..... this year's start up catalog - it looks like half the pictures were taken in a hospital room. Even the description of the 30000 is unreadable to anyone who can't understand Marklin digital terms. See the comparison below: .......

regards
Peter Cool

Yes the descriptions are another thing as well....... (Its a German thing, Mercedes Benz do the same).
Surely, given that the models need to be seen in their best light, it requires an effort.
These locos are expensive, because Marklin makes REALLY GOOD models .....
And you would not showcase the latest Patek Phillipe Swiss watch by photographing it in a run-down fowl yard.
We have all seen the great images of Marklin and other models shown on the net by Osterthun.

Anyway, what a great thought from Paul .... about stirring one's imagination.
And funny enough, if you check Hornby's site, I think they are falling into the same trap with their images.

A famous hair-dresser in Australia said once about his string of salons "We dont sell hair-cuts or blow-waves, or colouring ..... we sell dreams and rainbows". And that was why he was successful.

Kimball

Edited by user 18 September 2017 02:07:42(UTC)  | Reason: mentioned Osterthun

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline NS1200  
#5 Posted : 16 September 2017 20:55:24(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Kimball,

Many of our dreams were destroyed when photographs took over from artwork in advertisements.
The human brain needs imagination,not just cruel reality.
Same thing happened with advertising for cars.

http://www.xframechevy.c...03/1959-Chevy-Bro-05.jpg

And the Marklin P8 when it first was advertised in 1967,it was a must have!

http://www.modellbahnwel...erkartons/P8%20B1024.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline Webmaster  
#6 Posted : 16 September 2017 21:54:10(UTC)
Webmaster

The main problem is that most marketing departments today have lost the wish to inspire long term dreams among their audience, youngsters,myself and such...
Instant satisfaction/return has been the mantra for for marketing the last 10-15 years or so due to shortsightedness and not understanding core values of a company...

Which keeps the quarterly result bean counters temporarily happy, but destroys the long term future business of any reputable company... Sad
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline NS1200  
#7 Posted : 17 September 2017 09:24:51(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
And,apart from anything else,there are the Preiser people again in their shiny clothes!
I have said it before,most people do not wear shiny clothes in public!
What is the problem giving these people a matt appearance by using the proper paint?

Another example of destroying fantasy,Airfix boxart,once very famous,later replaced by dull photo's:

https://www.airfix.com/m...913b8cfed94ceca84e8c.png

http://www.ipmsusa3.org/...7G_Airfix_05005_72nd.JPG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 17 September 2017 19:16:16(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I don't get you guys. Isn't it better to know exactly what you're buying by being shown a good quality photo of the item? Why would we prefer to see some artists vague impression of what it should look like?

In these days in particular, when we rely on buying on the internet and don't get a chance to see the item at the shop before ordering it, it is especially important to see a true photographic likeness of the item we are buying.

Let's not be grump old men just for the sake of it! BigGrin
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Jabez  
#9 Posted : 17 September 2017 22:15:26(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
What's the best selling point--the steak or the sizzle?
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline Pmare4  
#10 Posted : 18 September 2017 00:35:58(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Isn't it better to know exactly what you're buying by being shown a good quality photo of the item?Why would we prefer to see some artists vague impression of what it should look like?

Ray, I think you're missing the point here. The dynamic drawings from the 60s were never supposed to be realistic, but they were able to transport you to your imagination. If you want a photo so badly, can't you just google the item and get hundreds of photos right there in front of you? Confused
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Pmare4
Offline Danlake  
#11 Posted : 18 September 2017 02:43:08(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Kimball,

I guess we all see it differentlyBigGrin

I think Marklin catalogue photos are stunning and very well made!

In the new fall items 2017 the front page photo looks great. Sure it's a false background and smoke, but that's what you find it any Model railway magazine and having it look as realistically as possible is what inspires and motivate me. The night time photo on page 9 looks great as well with a wet platform and its reflection. I wish I could construct photos like this!

The old time drawings does have a lovely nostalgia but Iam afraid that is only for us who may have grown up with them. For any new modellers and a younger generation Iam afraid it will market Marklin purely as a toy...

Brgds Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline kimballthurlow  
#12 Posted : 18 September 2017 03:10:08(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Hi Kimball,

I guess we all see it differentlyBigGrin

I think Marklin catalogue photos are stunning and very well made!

In the new fall items 2017 the front page photo looks great. ...

Brgds Lasse

Hi Lasse,
Yes for the most part, Marklin staged photos or renderings are good.

My problem is with the few images where the track work does not look correct (as I said, "in a disused quarry").
The PDF images for the 39241 (SNCF Mountain) are in this category, as were the images for the Challenger.
Now that front page photo on the fall items 2017 portrays the background, sky and smoke, and the detail on the engine really well.
But that track work......uughh. It looks like a branchline, not a mainline used for express trains.

regards
Kimball
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline MaerklinLife  
#13 Posted : 18 September 2017 06:50:40(UTC)
MaerklinLife

If you want a photo so badly, can't you just google the item and get hundreds of photos right there in front of you? Confused

Google it? Really? What do you think will happen if Märklin said to customers who wants to see the product: "Just Google it".

Do you really think the catalogue would be better if it consisted only of drawings? I am sure the people who want the drawings back, want it for some nostalgic reason. To relive childhood memories perhaps.

I am with Ray on this one. We live in a Facebook/Instagram generation: "Pictures - or it did not happen!". Customers of today want photos and videos. They want to see what they get. A drawing does not give them that.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Pmare4  
#14 Posted : 18 September 2017 08:51:03(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
I think I might have phrased that a bit harshly.

I'm not saying that Marklin shouldn't provide photos at all, but I think there should be a balance between them and the drawings. The photos of course, are to show what the product actually looks like, and the drawings to attract the reader to the page and inspire them. In other words - sell the dream! Here's an example to show what I mean:

3048 catalog.JPG

And no, I'm not attracted to the drawings because of nostalgia. In fact, I was born years after the 60s ended - check my profile if you want. As a member of "generation Z", I really think that if Marklin wants to attract more younger customers, they need to change their focus. For me, the enjoyment of the hobby comes from the creativity, the lessons learnt, and the fun of collecting itself. If Marklin continues to send out boring startup catalogs which even I can't understand, I really think it will increase the stigma that model railways are an "old peoples' hobby." Instead of counting rivets, Marklin needs to get their act into gear and produce a catalog which inspires and captivates younger audiences.
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Pmare4
Offline NS1200  
#15 Posted : 18 September 2017 11:05:48(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Going back to the start of this discussion,i think it is not so much about the photographs,instead it is much more about the way the photo's have been made up.
It could be that M have asked an extrernal company to take care of the photopresentation and that such company has no clue about trackballasting or whatever.

The "fantasy trend" in advertising seems to work for cars,commercials are about emotions,not so much about the cars themselves.
Have seen a TV commercial for a Renault car about a guy splitting up with his girlfriend,having a tattoo with her name on his arm,thence going to a speeddate and finding a girl with his name on her arm,the car itself being of less importance.
Volvo do the same,showing a happy family escaping the city in their Volvo to have a good time in the countryside,no technical details about the car whatsoever.

Anyway,i have seen the model on a turningtable in another topic,thanks Steven,it looks magnificant!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline dennisb  
#16 Posted : 18 September 2017 11:26:31(UTC)
dennisb

Sweden   
Hi all!

It's fantastic how different we all people can view the same thing. I love the photography and I think the photo of the 241 is a really nice one that inspires me to the hobby. For me the drawings are just nostalgic and makes a great contribution to the re-issues, but for a new product, No. I wouldn't be inspired to buy that. They would not succeed to sell the dream to me that way. However a good looking layout that I, if I became skilled and richer, could be making. That's an inspiration.

That's how I see it and how I get attracted to buy stuff. As everyone is different there's simply no right or wrong. It just shows that marketing is tough and that one size do not fits all.

I must also admit that I really admire the current management of Märklin. It seems like they have been having a clear strategy and successfully turned the company around. So they needs to make something really well when it comes to marketing.

My five cents.

D.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by dennisb
Offline NS1200  
#17 Posted : 18 September 2017 11:51:09(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
What sort of car would i be buying here?

Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 18 September 2017 13:18:14(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I think we need to get the arty people out of advertising!

Facts and figures are needed when researching the next car I will buy, and plenty of photos and video showing the car from all angles and being put through its paces.

Frankly, I don't care about some fantasy dreamt up about a couple of actors. Leave that to fiction. I'll even watch the movie if it's good!
Ray
Offline NS1200  
#19 Posted : 18 September 2017 13:51:44(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Ray,i fully understand.
Fact is that basically all cars look alike,four wheels,engine under the hood,steeringwheel,boring,boring.
It is a market with intense competition,with small marketshares everywhere.
In such a market it is no use talking about technical details in commercials or even advertisements,people do not read it anyway.
Instead,emotion takes control,question is whether one can identify himself with the people in the commercial,is one part of the group shown?
A guy being dropped by his girlfriend apparently is self-confident enough to drive a Renault.
A family living in town apparently wish to take the Volvo to the countryside.
It is all about recognition,not so much about naked technical facts.
Offline dennisb  
#20 Posted : 18 September 2017 17:53:30(UTC)
dennisb

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
Ray,i fully understand.
Fact is that basically all cars look alike,four wheels,engine under the hood,steeringwheel,boring,boring.
It is a market with intense competition,with small marketshares everywhere.
In such a market it is no use talking about technical details in commercials or even advertisements,people do not read it anyway.
Instead,emotion takes control,question is whether one can identify himself with the people in the commercial,is one part of the group shown?
A guy being dropped by his girlfriend apparently is self-confident enough to drive a Renault.
A family living in town apparently wish to take the Volvo to the countryside.
It is all about recognition,not so much about naked technical facts.

I can relate to that :) I just bought a new camera; Olympus Pen-F. Photography is my main hobby. I have a couple of cameras. Very capable cameras I must say. But I felt it has been time to update my "smaller setup" with a smaller APS-C camera, the previous has become quite old and outdated. So even thou the inner self said that the most logical thing would be to upgrade to a newer version in that series so I can re-use the lenses I already have (many are the same between the full-frame cameras and the smaller APS-C camera) I still was steered by my emotions and bought the Pen-F. Simply because it's smaller and way more stylish. I totally bought the experience and the appearance before specs. I already have cameras that are better cameras but none that are as sexy and appealing.

D.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dennisb
Offline NS1200  
#21 Posted : 18 September 2017 20:51:00(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
It is like with women,we feel attracted to them because they are sexy,not because they are sensible.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline kimballthurlow  
#22 Posted : 19 September 2017 00:53:46(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Going back to the start of this discussion,i think it is not so much about the photographs, instead it is much more about the way the photo's have been made up.

Exactly.

It could be that M have asked an extrernal company to take care of the photopresentation and that such company has no clue about trackballasting or whatever.

Possibly..... I don't think they used Noch.

Anyway,i have seen the model on a turningtable in another topic, thanks Steven, it looks magnificant!

Yes, true.

My crticism was about the staging...... the track ballasting, and messy foreground in the PDF release.
That does not do it for a high-end, expensive champion express locomotive.
Marklin have used similar messy foregrounds to stage photos in industrial settings, example for Ludmilla on a ballast train... that is perfectly acceptable.
I have gone over the 2016 and 2017 catalogues and 8 out of 10 of their photos are suitably staged. Some of them like the branch line trains 26194 and 26195 are quite brilliant. The trackwork is what you would expect on a branchline.

I have studied and practiced marketing professionally.
Customers are influenced by perceptions, gained from multiple sources.
That is one of the fundamentals.

Kimball
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline CanadianKid  
#23 Posted : 19 September 2017 01:57:55(UTC)
CanadianKid

Canada   
I think I might have phrased that a bit harshly.

I'm not saying that Marklin shouldn't provide photos at all, but I think there should be a balance between them and the drawings. The photos of course, are to show what the product actually looks like, and the drawings to attract the reader to the page and inspire them. In other words - sell the dream! Here's an example to show what I mean:

3048 catalog.JPG

And no, I'm not attracted to the drawings because of nostalgia. In fact, I was born years after the 60s ended - check my profile if you want. As a member of "generation Z", I really think that if Marklin wants to attract more younger customers, they need to change their focus. For me, the enjoyment of the hobby comes from the creativity, the lessons learnt, and the fun of collecting itself. If Marklin continues to send out boring startup catalogs which even I can't understand, I really think it will increase the stigma that model railways are an "old peoples' hobby." Instead of counting rivets, Marklin needs to get their act into gear and produce a catalog which inspires and captivates younger audiences.

Sorry to seem a bit random, but it's nice to see another Marklin fan around my age. I have to agree somewhat here, I used to look at Lego catalogues and tell my parents how cool one set was, as the catalogue clearly dictated what the set did/equipped with in language understandble to my 12 year old self. Most typically, if a company is struggling to appeal to a certain age demographic they simply need to speak their language, because ultimately, the younger version of myself didn't care if a loco had traction tires, or even if it had a high efficiency motor. That all being said, I don't care much about the catalogue photos but ultimately, it wouldn't hurt to have some picturesque scenes with the locos in addition to some facts to inspire the younger generations creativity.
Matt
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by CanadianKid
Offline analogmike  
#24 Posted : 19 September 2017 03:21:21(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
It is like with women,we feel attracted to them because they are sexy,not because they are sensible.

So, does that mean ugly girls are smart? BigGrin
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline NS1200  
#25 Posted : 19 September 2017 08:35:42(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post

So, does that mean ugly girls are smart? BigGrin

Sensible is not the same as smart.
And i like some "ugly" girls too,beauty is in the eye of the beholder.........(smile,funny,funny).
Offline Pmare4  
#26 Posted : 19 September 2017 09:03:48(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Originally Posted by: CanadianKid Go to Quoted Post
Sorry to seem a bit random, but it's nice to see another Marklin fan around my age.

If only there were more!
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Pmare4
Offline RayF  
#27 Posted : 19 September 2017 13:45:08(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Ah, nostalgia isn't what it used to be! BigGrin

I'd like to make clear that I do actually agree with the comments about poorly staged photos being detrimental. Good quality photos are essential not just to show us what the item looks like but also to show it "in context"

There was a time in the late 1980s or early 1990s when the Marklin catalogues contained some beautiful photos of the locomotives and wagons posed on professionally built layouts. These were the catalogues that I went back to again and again for inspiration.

The line drawings much favoured by some of our members were a feature of catalogues from before this time. These catalogues occasionally also illustrated their pages with a few photos, and very often these photos would be taken on a layout for which the plan was also included in the catalogue. In these catalogues my inspiration came from these photos and not so much from the drawings of the locos and wagons themselves.
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline dominator  
#28 Posted : 21 September 2017 12:35:17(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Peter and Matt. Quick , get some sales training and find more kids.
I started this hobby when I was 7.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Purellum  
#29 Posted : 22 September 2017 00:01:31(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I like sushi, and I think it's quite popular all over the world.

However, I don't think many people would go to a restaurant advertising "Raw fish and boiled sticky rice".

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline river6109  
#30 Posted : 08 October 2017 11:30:01(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
G'day from Moosburg

Moosburg layout.JPG

Moosburg layout 1.JPG
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kiwiAlan  
#31 Posted : 08 October 2017 13:11:21(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
G'day from Moosburg

Moosburg layout 1.JPG

Those are might lumpy cobblestones in that drive, would be a bone shaker of a ride that would rattle your teeth out.

Still I guess it stops vehicles from speeding up the drive.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline river6109  
#32 Posted : 08 October 2017 16:50:16(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
G'day from Moosburg

Moosburg layout 1.JPG

Those are might lumpy cobblestones in that drive, would be a bone shaker of a ride that would rattle your teeth out.

Still I guess it stops vehicles from speeding up the drive.

LOL you wouldn't have any loose change over

I have to contact my son and get his version he may need to tone it down a bit.

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline dominator  
#33 Posted : 10 October 2017 12:46:18(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Ever tried driving on the cobbles in Edinburgh. They aren't that big but the certainly feel like it.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline GaryTrooper  
#34 Posted : 16 August 2018 06:46:28(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Interesting discussion about drawings vers photos. Being a drafter at one time before AutoCad ( but not while having trains as a kid) I could get a pretty realistic image of the Marklin models from the rendered mechanical drawings of the models. One thing I never got from the drawings or the photos, was how an engine ran. As I got older and started buying bigger locomotives the track specifications had to be more exact. It was a painful learning curve something. A 3000 locomotive could pull two tin passengers cars up some pretty steep stuff. The first time I tried to run a 3003 on my frist layout with bridges was an utter disappointment. My grandmother helped me save up for the 3003 which took several months and it just wouldn't work on my layout. Going to a 3085 with five wagons was another layout disappointment. I got it figured out eventually. But several layouts had to be revised. I had no adult guidance on the layout construction.
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
N - Mix of manufacturers mostly Kato
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by GaryTrooper
Offline TEEWolf  
#35 Posted : 18 August 2018 19:53:19(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: GaryTrooper Go to Quoted Post
Interesting discussion about drawings vers photos. Being a drafter at one time before AutoCad ( but not while having trains as a kid) I could get a pretty realistic image of the Marklin models from the rendered mechanical drawings of the models. One thing I never got from the drawings or the photos, was how an engine ran. As I got older and started buying bigger locomotives the track specifications had to be more exact. It was a painful learning curve something. A 3000 locomotive could pull two tin passengers cars up some pretty steep stuff. The first time I tried to run a 3003 on my frist layout with bridges was an utter disappointment. My grandmother helped me save up for the 3003 which took several months and it just wouldn't work on my layout. Going to a 3085 with five wagons was another layout disappointment. I got it figured out eventually. But several layouts had to be revised. I had no adult guidance on the layout construction.

Hm, learning English at school, our teacher always said: "learning by doing". What was his intention?Wink
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline mgbeck_98  
#36 Posted : 03 October 2018 23:47:35(UTC)
mgbeck_98

United States   
The english descriptions are probably written by an in-house english speaker. Before that Jeff Stimson, who was part of the Marklin USA organization was the American English translator. The translation was less stilted as it is now. I cringe when the Marklin TV episode comes out in English... Technically correct, but not really correct. Blink

Tell me about it! I'm still waiting for them to bring back the '60s line drawings. Flapper LOL Laugh BigGrin

Seriously though, I really can't imagine anyone under 50 (no offence) looking at this year's start up catalog - it looks like half the pictures were taken in a hospital room. Even the description of the 30000 is unreadable to anyone who can't understand Marklin digital terms. See the comparison below:

3000 Catalog.JPG

regards
Peter Cool

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mgbeck_98
Offline RayF  
#37 Posted : 04 October 2018 14:57:49(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: mgbeck_98 Go to Quoted Post
The english descriptions are probably written by an in-house english speaker. Before that Jeff Stimson, who was part of the Marklin USA organization was the American English translator. The translation was less stilted as it is now. I cringe when the Marklin TV episode comes out in English... Technically correct, but not really correct. Blink

3000 Catalog.JPG

regards
Peter Cool

Really?

The modern description is concise and to the point. The older description, in contrast, is full of unnecessary adjectives which come straight from the PR office.

"Three headlamps to light up" , "Unbreakable plastic casing" , "Two special adhesion tyres on the trailing drivers..." , "Strong coupling hooks...".

There are redundant words in each and every item of the description! ThumbDown

What do you find unreadable in the modern description?
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Pmare4  
#38 Posted : 05 October 2018 01:03:21(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mgbeck_98 Go to Quoted Post

3000 Catalog.JPG

regards
Peter Cool

Really?

The modern description is concise and to the point. The older description, in contrast, is full of unnecessary adjectives which come straight from the PR office.

"Three headlamps to light up" , "Unbreakable plastic casing" , "Two special adhesion tyres on the trailing drivers..." , "Strong coupling hooks...".

There are redundant words in each and every item of the description! ThumbDown

What do you find unreadable in the modern description?

Hi Ray,

I hoped this debate wouldn't come up again... :)

I suppose I chose the wrong models to compare in this case (the BR89 doesn't have enough digital functions to make the description confusing), although I imagine that without prior knowledge it would be difficult for a beginner to understand some of the terms used. What, for example, is conventional control, and why are traction tires an advantage? In these cases the PR talk can be very useful - to me everything makes more sense, and it would certainly be more convincing to a beginner starting out in the hobby.

With a declining hobby, Marklin needs to make every effort to get younger enthusiasts on board, and if that means longer descriptions and fancy artworks, or even models with nicely staged backgrounds, then count me in!

Best regards
Peter
Peter
Offline river6109  
#39 Posted : 07 October 2018 12:33:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Today I had super dupa doo accident with a DB BR 63 and the ICE train, no it wasn't kid's play to see how far one can go to create an accident.

the BR 63 got tangled in the overhead wires, lifted itself up and the ICE train did the rest. no damage.

new (1).JPG

new.JPG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline TEEWolf  
#40 Posted : 07 October 2018 18:13:43(UTC)
TEEWolf

Today I had super dupa doo accident with a DB BR 63 and the ICE train, no it wasn't kid's play to see how far one can go to create an accident.

the BR 63 got tangled in the overhead wires, lifted itself up and the ICE train did the rest. no damage.

new (1).JPG

new.JPG

Incredible what these little E 63 (I got one too, still analogue) shunters are able to do. And it seems "there's room enough for two" - as the the Drifters were singing.

You know their song - "Up on the roof"?Smile

Love Love

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline kimballthurlow  
#41 Posted : 18 October 2018 01:02:06(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Because I started this topic on quality of photographs and advertising, I am happy to report that Maerklin seem to have lifted their game.

Here is a sample of their latest advertising pictures, both of which show imagination and an effort at staging the correct environment and background.

Firstly I acknowledge the Maerklin copyright for these images, and their right to protect their brand and property.

The first is for their Ludmilla diesel loco offering, which gives you the impression that it is collecting containers from a sea-going terminal on the Baltic.
UserPostedImage

The second is for the Bavarian S2/6 record holding steam locomotive set in the environs of an important provincial railway station.
UserPostedImage

Well done!

Kimball
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow