Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marklin 279  
#1 Posted : 15 August 2017 23:00:14(UTC)
marklin 279

United States   
I am a M track user with and analog system. I recently got a 7039 switch and hooked it up as instructed and the train does stop at the switch but when I push button to activate nothing happens. I checked all the connections and all seems good. I removed switch and the train runs smoothly down the track. Tried all sorts of possible trouble spots......... nothing .......any help would be appreciated... " frustrated at the switch"
Offline Michael4  
#2 Posted : 15 August 2017 23:32:42(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
If you look through this thready you'll find the relevant books very kindly posted by very helpful people!

https://www.marklin-user...Old-signals-for-analogue

You'll see that there is some wiring and track isolating to do to make things work

Offline marklin 279  
#3 Posted : 16 August 2017 00:04:04(UTC)
marklin 279

United States   
Thanks Michae14 .....I will check it out.............
Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 16 August 2017 03:29:55(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: marklin 279 Go to Quoted Post
I am a M track user with and analog system. I recently got a 7039 switch and hooked it up as instructed and the train does stop at the switch but when I push button to activate nothing happens. I checked all the connections and all seems good. I removed switch and the train runs smoothly down the track. Tried all sorts of possible trouble spots......... nothing .......any help would be appreciated... " frustrated at the switch"

Perhaps this thread helps you too.

https://www.marklin-user...t36616-Historic-Maerklin
Offline Michael4  
#5 Posted : 16 August 2017 10:56:59(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
You need to remember that all a signal does (when actuated) is make or break a connection.

The best thing to do is fiddle with it to understand how it works. From memory and with apologies if necessary for telling my Grandmother how it suck eggs...here goes

Yellow is power, connect to your lighting circuit, yellow plug, it not only lights the signal but supplies '+' to the switch within
Earth is achieved through the metal baseplate touching the track or the single plug at one end of the signal (brown plug).

Connect those two and it should light up

Blue x 2 actuate the signal one way or the other other (up/down)
Touch a blue wire on any earthed bit of track or the brown plug.

The signal should click, one wire up, the other down. These two either go to your control button or to bits of control track if the signal is going to be actuated by a passing train.

Red x 2 are the lines that will be 'make or break'.
The principle is that you isolate a bit of central rail and then feed power to it through the red wires, one to power (red plug) and the to the isolated bit of central rail. Alternatively you can 'jump' the isolated join saving cable.

The two plugs at the other end of the signal have the same function as the red wires.

I emphasise the importance of fiddling with it first, not only do you get to understand what is going on but you also see if it still works, these things are quite old and fiddly, they may need a bit of 'coaxing'.

They are a lot of fun. I currently have six locos running on three tracks, happily stopping and starting each other. Every now and then something malfunctions and a head on collision results. It takes a while to get back to wherever one started from...

Please correct any errors in the above!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline marklin 279  
#6 Posted : 16 August 2017 15:18:28(UTC)
marklin 279

United States   
Thanks Michae14........ Fiddling I have been....... I have hooked up as you said...... the engine does stop but I cannot get it to activate once I push the button to open switch. The track beyond the switch in dead for about 5 ft then there is power available. I have tried every combination with no luck.
Offline TEEWolf  
#7 Posted : 16 August 2017 18:23:47(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: marklin 279 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Michae14........ Fiddling I have been....... I have hooked up as you said...... the engine does stop but I cannot get it to activate once I push the button to open switch. The track beyond the switch in dead for about 5 ft then there is power available. I have tried every combination with no luck.

In the "Maerklin Service Manual"

https://www.marklin-user...t36616-Historic-Maerklin

in post #3 you find the link.

At page 10 is a paragraph "Trouble shooting on the layout".

At page 11 "Trouble shooting turnouts and signals".

These informations there are all based only on the M-track.

Did you check all cables, that none is brocken inside?
MrB32  
#8 Posted : 19 August 2017 00:43:01(UTC)

I ran into something similar the other day, and it turned out I had wrongly positioned the red cables and isolating strips, so ended up isolating the stop track and feeding power to the main track....... Duh.... Assuming all cables are working fine it may be as simple as that, make sure you are connected as per diagram below (Sorry for the poor drawing skills...:

Offline marklin 279  
#9 Posted : 19 August 2017 20:30:55(UTC)
marklin 279

United States   
Originally Posted by: MrB32 Go to Quoted Post
I ran into something similar the other day, and it turned out I had wrongly positioned the red cables and isolating strips, so ended up isolating the stop track and feeding power to the main track....... Duh.... Assuming all cables are working fine it may be as simple as that, make sure you are connected as per diagram below (Sorry for the poor drawing skills...:

Thank You sooooooooooooooo much . I have fiddling and fiddling and FINALLY you showed up. Needless to say it works...... Thanks Again!!
MrB32  
#10 Posted : 19 August 2017 22:54:45(UTC)

glad to be of assistance :)