Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline acwertheim  
#1 Posted : 17 August 2017 23:34:37(UTC)
acwertheim

United States   
Hi,
I hope that somebody can help me with a technical question.
I have a simple Marklin layout with a first version of the mobile station. The loc. runs perfectly and the sound in the loc works great. The controller in the loc. is set so that the F3 function enables the sound.

I decided last year to design my own “mobile station” and build everything after studying the “new Marklin-Motorola” format as explained in the description from Andrea Scorzoni written in 1999. (http://spazioinwind.libero.it/scorzoni/motorola.htm)

Everything works very well. The loc. runs perfectly forwards and reverse and when I use a turnout (marklin 74491 with its decoder) the F3 function works great. The turnout moves everytime I push the F3 button. and when I push the F3 button on the Marklin Mobile station, it works also. So what is the problem?

I can’t get the sound (F3) to work on my own designed controller. When I push the F3 button on the Marklin Mobile station, it works perfect. But when I push the F3 button on my own designed Mobile station, it does not work. Why? I must be sending the wrong format pulses from my own controller to the loc. for the sound to work.

Can anybody tell me the set of pulses I need to enable the sound function (F3) on the loc. since it works perfectly with the Marklin Mobile station.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks
Abe
acwertheim
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 18 August 2017 05:26:40(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Abe, I do a lot of my own (copy) constructions and its amazing you've copied a mobile unit 1 and actually got it working.; to be honest I don't have the answer for your question but at the same time there are so many mobile stations 1 on the ebay market I wonder why you bother making your own, I would have thought it would be cheaper to buy one of the shelf instead of making up your own.

I know its the principal, you want to find out why yours doesn't work.

good luck

never knew this web page existed

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline acwertheim  
#3 Posted : 18 August 2017 16:52:09(UTC)
acwertheim

United States   
Hi John,
Money did not make me do it. Since I am an old hardware engineer from the eighties I still love playing with microprocessor chips. The other reason (the main one) is that there are a lot of kids around here that love playing with my trains and they get very exited and keep running next to the trains with the mobile station in their hands. The result is always that they pull the cable out of the rails.
That's why I decided to make my system wireless. Marklin used to sell a small wireless controller that is no longer available and it can only run 4 locs. I have more, so it was time to design my own wireless controller.
The problem I have is that the writer of the New Marklin Motorola format in the article I mentioned is not available anymore, so I can't ask him anymore.
I hope somebody in this community might know the answer. I don't know anybody in the Marklin office that I can contact.
Thanks for your answer.
Best regards
Abe
acwertheim
Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 18 August 2017 22:58:43(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Hi Abe,
can you measure the signal that the Central Station generates for F3, perhaps with an oscilloscope?
Do the other functions work ? If so, perhaps one component or connection in the F3 part is defective.

(I am also in Maine, about 2.5 hours south of you)
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline acwertheim  
#5 Posted : 19 August 2017 01:31:50(UTC)
acwertheim

United States   
Hi Dale,
Thanks for your answer. I know it is a software issue since the sound works very good with my old Mobile station. I have tried to trace the output of the Mobile station on my oscilloscope but it is an old scope (from the seventies) and it is very hard to see. I managed all the functions by learning the Marklin Motorola format and programming the pulse train to be send from my own controller to the track. All functions (forwards, reverse, stop etc) work, except the sound. It has to be a wrong code I am sending to the track.
I am happy to hear there is another Marklin enthusiast in Maine. I assume you live somewhere south of Portland. I am very often in that neighborhood. Maybe we could speak together or meet. I would love to see if you can help me here. (in Bangor). If you like to meet please call me on my cell: 207-9497001

Hope to meet someday.
Thanks and best regards
Abe
acwertheim
Offline clapcott  
#6 Posted : 19 August 2017 02:12:11(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: acwertheim Go to Quoted Post

Everything works very well. The loc. runs perfectly forwards and reverse and when I use a turnout (marklin 74491 with its decoder) the F3 function works great. The turnout moves everytime I push the F3 button. and when I push the F3 button on the Marklin Mobile station, it works also. So what is the problem?

I do not understand this paragraph can you please elaborate.

The accessory pulse pattern works at twice the frequency of a locomotive pulse pattern

Peter
Offline acwertheim  
#7 Posted : 19 August 2017 02:42:53(UTC)
acwertheim

United States   
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your answer. I did not know that the frequency for enabling the sound is different than the frequency for the Forward or reverse command. That might be my problem. I am going to try that this weekend. That might explain why everything works fine except the sound. I use the same baud rate for all the commands.

Thanks again,
Best regards
Abe

acwertheim
Offline Purellum  
#8 Posted : 19 August 2017 08:17:01(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: acwertheim Go to Quoted Post
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your answer. I did not know that the frequency for enabling the sound is different than the frequency for the Forward or reverse command. That might be my problem. I am going to try that this weekend. That might explain why everything works fine except the sound. I use the same baud rate for all the commands.

Thanks again,
Best regards
Abe

You misunderstood Peter, and I also don't understand the phrase Peter quoted.

1: The first version of the mobile stations are not ( should not be ) able to switch a turnout ??

2: All commands sent to the locomotive's decoder is sent in the same frequency, and all commands sent to accessories ( turnouts etc. ) should be sent in a frequency that is twice the frequency sent to the loco decoder.

Member Perz is one of the guys who might be able to help you, if he reads this.

See also:

https://www.marklin-user...-of-Marklin-digital.aspx

http://www.dccwiki.com/Motorola_Trinary

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline acwertheim  
#9 Posted : 19 August 2017 13:30:12(UTC)
acwertheim

United States   
Hi Per and Peter,
Let me explain my setup better.
I have my own controller hooked up to the track with Marklin 74491 turnouts with Viessmann 5231 decoders. These Viessmann decoders will activate the turnouts with the F1-F4 commands from the controller. (also with my old Mobile station by pressing the F1-F4 buttons).
I am using the 26us and 182us pulse width in my data stream. With this system and my motor commands, my loc's run fine and the turnouts work great. Since I only use the F1-F3 functions for turnout controls, I am trying to use the F4 funtion as a sound function. I set the sound function in the loc to F4 and send a data stream from my controller (in the 26us and 182us format) to the rails. The sound function on the loc does not work.
When I connect the mobile station to the track and press the F4 button, the sound works great. What am I doing wrong?
I hope you understand me now better.

The reason why I use the viessmann decoders instead of the Marklin is because I have so many (I bought them once on Ebay for a very low cost)

Thanks again for all your help
Abe
acwertheim
Offline Purellum  
#10 Posted : 19 August 2017 14:12:03(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

OK, I got you now; but can't see what the problem could be.

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline acwertheim  
#11 Posted : 19 August 2017 17:37:53(UTC)
acwertheim

United States   
Hi Everyone,
I have solved my problem. It was a simple software bug. Everything is now working fine.
Thanks for all your comments
Best regards
Abe
acwertheim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by acwertheim