Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PMPeter  
#101 Posted : 08 August 2017 05:16:24(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I have not made any changes to the S88 wiring in a year. The return wire is connected to brown at the first module only.

I have no L88s and I only use my CS2 or my laptop with Rocrail to control the trains.

It works just fine until suddenly while a train is moving and crosses an S88 actuator the CS2 powers down and the stop bar lights up. Once that happens I can roll any car over a contact section or trigger a reed switch with a magnet and the CS2 stops. Only a reboot puts it back to normal.

This is similar to an observation I made initially that while nothing was in operation for quite a while the CS2 screen went blank, the stop bar lit up, and after a few minutes the control screen came on. This is also similar to JJB's comments about the strange behaviour of the stop bar lighting up.

This is just one buggy update.

Peter
Offline PMPeter  
#102 Posted : 08 August 2017 19:13:33(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Out of all of the issues I have encountered after this update, here is the status and frequency of occurrence:

- MFX logo appearing for all locomotives on the Control screen regardless if they are MFX or not - occurred once

- After shutting down the CS2 with power still connected, clicking the Stop bar occasionally will not restart the CS2. All I get is an "@ something" message each time I click the Stop bar. I have to shut all the power off to get it to restart - Occurred twice but has not reappeared for a few weeks

- The network IP address keeps changing even though I have the CS2 configured to manually set the IP address and network server address since I use Rocrail and need to keep the addresses fixed. Previously I only had this issue right after an update, but not consistently with every reboot/restart - This occurs consistently after any short circuit that shuts down the CS2, any check for software update, any USB update

- The transformer issue mentioned previously by another member shows partial numbers only such as "600" instead of the full transformer number. Hard to select the correct trafo - Occurred twice but has not reappeared for a few weeks

- CS2 screen blanking out, the Stop bar starts blinking for several minutes and the screen came back. No short circuit reboot, just a strange behaviour while nothing is operating or running - occurred once

- When adding a new locomotive, I get a choice of 8 or 16 functions only. How would you select a 32 function configuration?

- Since this update I can no longer add any PNG icon files to the CS2 icon database using the network. Only possible using the USB method

- Loco speed suddenly jumps on the CS2 to a higher speed with no Rocrail control or manual intervention. - Occurred 3 times

- Activation of any S88 contact causes the CS2 to Stop and the red light to come on - Occurred twice

- MS2 requesting an update after every reboot of the CS2 - Went away after about 5-6 CS2 reboots.

Peter
Offline kiwiAlan  
#103 Posted : 08 August 2017 22:08:51(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post

- When adding a new locomotive, I get a choice of 8 or 16 functions only. How would you select a 32 function configuration?

Do you have an mfx loco that has more than 16 functions? I believe it will only make more than 16 functions available for a loco that has 16 functions. I don't have a cs2 to check this out however.
Offline PMPeter  
#104 Posted : 08 August 2017 22:17:54(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Do you have an mfx loco that has more than 16 functions? I believe it will only make more than 16 functions available for a loco that has 16 functions. I don't have a cs2 to check this out however.

No I don't. However, when I add a new locomotive and specify DCC protocol I would have assumed that I have selection capability of 32. All I get is a choice of 8 or 16.
Offline clapcott  
#105 Posted : 09 August 2017 04:26:13(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
... when I add a new locomotive and specify DCC protocol I would have assumed that I have selection capability of 32. All I get is a choice of 8 or 16.

For DCC, 29 functions are supported

After selecting DCC as the protocal you may choose 24 or 29
Comment (This aspect is possibly more of CS3 consideration as that controller expands in groups of 8)

* You do need to SAVE this base configration , and re-edit before the F0-15 button works (to show the F15 + function placeholders

UserPostedImage
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline PMPeter  
#106 Posted : 09 August 2017 04:41:51(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
... when I add a new locomotive and specify DCC protocol I would have assumed that I have selection capability of 32. All I get is a choice of 8 or 16.

For DCC, 29 functions are supported

After selecting DCC as the protocal you may choose 24 or 29
Comment (This aspect is possibly more of CS3 consideration as that controller expands in groups of 8)

* You do need to SAVE this base configration , and re-edit before the F0-15 button works (to show the F15 + function placeholders

UserPostedImage

Well therein lies the problem. I don't get that choice as shown in your screenshot. When I click the pulldown I only get the choice of 8 and 16, no 24 or 29.
Offline PMPeter  
#107 Posted : 09 August 2017 04:55:07(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
In light of all of the problems I am experiencing it is clear that my download did not go right even though the network upgrade said it was successful. If I don't even get a screen choice as shown by Clapcott for the 29 DCC functions my download obviously is missing something.

If I try to upgrade from the network I just get a confirmation that my CS2 is already updated.

Can I try to download the files and do another update using a USB or will that give me the same message? Also for the cs2update.md5 48B file this may be a stupid question but how do you download that file? When I click the download for that file all I get is a new screen with this displayed:

aee33a784bda0208d3f216ca6abed991 cs2update.img

Do I just copy that on to my USB?

Peter
Offline PMPeter  
#108 Posted : 09 August 2017 16:09:51(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post

UserPostedImage

Well therein lies the problem. I don't get that choice as shown in your screenshot. When I click the pulldown I only get the choice of 8 and 16, no 24 or 29.

I think you provided me with the answer. If I add a new DCC locomotive, initially I only get the choice of 8 or 16 functions. One I save this base configuration and go back to edit it, the 24 and 29 show up in the pulldown menu. I believe that is what you meant by you do need to SAVE this base configuration.

Peter

Offline anthpao  
#109 Posted : 19 August 2017 08:44:24(UTC)
anthpao

Greece   
I miss the English keyboard layout after the update, only German available.
Meaning no "y", no "-", etc.
Anyone else with this problem?
Offline midwestbls  
#110 Posted : 29 December 2017 18:08:38(UTC)
midwestbls

United States   
Originally Posted by: Alberto Pedrini Go to Quoted Post
Updated this evening my second CS2, 60215, all has gone right Cool
Tested the functions and the other options, all OK.
The connection with the CS2 software on computer OK too.
Here the screenshot

OK, I have to add to this thread because it has NOT been clear to me how to get to those extra 16 functions after the update to 4.2.1. Alberto's post was VERY helpful in showing me what I needed to get to ... First, some background that may help others just now trying to get their CS2 up to CS3 function functionality!

I did a hard-wire network update and it worked like a charm - as have past updates for me, no glitches Maybe 45-minutes total with the stops, starts, re-boots, etc. that others have mentioned with a reasonably well-documented process. After the update, before I made a new attempt as function access, I would re-boot - just in case.

I got out my previously-registered 2017 DB 103 Insider lok, placed on programming track and re-established mfx loks. It worked well as before, and now I could see the new F0-15 button on the CS2 screen, but tapping it did nothing; still stuck with only 16 functions, it didn't change to F16-31. I re-booted and went through reestablishing mfx loks with same result ... LOTS of careful re-reading of a number of less-than-specific threads - especially this one led me to try to this:

It's not just a matter of "re-registering" previously registered mfx loks, but rather you must DELETE (trash can icon) the lok from the registration screen and then re-register. I realize I may have missed a subtle semantic idea here, but the trash can icon DELETE the lok button step is critical after the software update and before you try to use loks with more than 16 functions.

After the delete and then re-registrations it all worked fine - screens looked just like Alberto's above! And I could tap on all the new sounds! YAY!

I don't currently have any additional digital items hooked up (L88/S88, etc.) so I can't comment on experience beyond getting loks re-registered for functions 17+.

I do share the ??? about why the physical buttons don't map to the second set of F16-31 where you have to tap on the sound icon itself, but I suppose IF you can remember what the F0-7 buttons control, you can then control essentially 24 functions from the 2nd F16-31 screen.

Finally, I LIKE the fact that the CS2 now starts up to "STOP" mode. Makes total sense to me ... how hard is it to tap the Stop button to get running?!

I hope this helps some others, and that I've helped clarify without being too redundant!

Happy Rails!

- Bill
ETE - Swiss Era III - BLS - Brig Station
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by midwestbls
Offline dickinsonj  
#111 Posted : 30 December 2017 00:55:35(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: midwestbls Go to Quoted Post

Finally, I LIKE the fact that the CS2 now starts up to "STOP" mode. Makes total sense to me ... how hard is it to tap the Stop button to get running?!

I hope this helps some others, and that I've helped clarify without being too redundant!

Happy Rails!

- Bill

Not too redundant - just a nice summary of what using the updated CS2 software is like.

I have had the same experience with previously registered mfx locos not accessing the second 16 functions, but as you point out you just need to delete them and then let them register again. I agree that the initial state being "Stop" is a big improvement. No more wandering out of my train room for a beer when the CS is booting up and then wondering what those noises I am hearing are all about. Confused

I am really pleased that Märklin updated the CS2 for the 16 new functions, particularly since it lets me wait just a bit longer before I get a CS3. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline Thewolf  
#112 Posted : 30 December 2017 13:11:35(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

Happy Rails!

- Bill

Not too redundant - just a nice summary of what using the updated CS2 software is like.

I have had the same experience with previously registered mfx locos not accessing the second 16 functions, but as you point out you just need to delete them and then let them register again. I agree that the initial state being "Stop" is a big improvement. No more wandering out of my train room for a beer when the CS is booting up and then wondering what those noises I am hearing are all about. Confused

I am really pleased that Märklin updated the CS2 for the 16 new functions, particularly since it lets me wait just a bit longer before I get a CS3. BigGrin

I agree with all what you wrote

Happy New Year

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline H0  
#113 Posted : 30 December 2017 13:34:30(UTC)
H0

Yeah. My Intellibox already started in STOP mode before the first Central Station was delivered.
Less than two decades later Märklin follow that good example. ThumpUp

Well, with the IB the user can decide between STOP and GO after power-up. Maybe Märklin will follow this example too, and maybe also within two decades?!?!? Cool
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Thewolf  
#114 Posted : 30 December 2017 13:42:49(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Yeah. My Intellibox already started in STOP mode before the first Central Station was delivered.
Less than two decades later Märklin follow that good example. ThumpUp

Well, with the IB the user can decide between STOP and GO after power-up. Maybe Märklin will follow this example too, and maybe also within two decades?!?!? Cool

Hi Tom Cool

About your Intellibox, what she is doing before Marklin is logical...in his name there is the word '' intelli'' for intelligence Flapper Flapper BigGrin BigGrin Woot Woot Razz

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline clapcott  
#115 Posted : 31 December 2017 05:33:45(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   

It's not just a matter of "re-registering" previously registered mfx loks, but rather you must DELETE (trash can icon) the lok from the registration screen and then re-register. I realize I may have missed a subtle semantic idea here, but the trash can icon DELETE the lok button step is critical after the software update and before you try to use loks with more than 16 functions.

Any experience , especially on subtle semantics from translated documentation, is good.

And I would be guilty of glossing over this aspect as I am unaware of how you may "re-register" an mfx loco/decoder without deleting it.

To me the update information from https://www.maerklin.de/...update_4_2_0_info-en.pdf ..
Important: If models with more than 16 functions have already been registered with the CS 2 before the update, they must be registered again after the update.
... implies the deletion of the loco in order to register it again.

I am presuming (?) that you might be alluding to the "Configure new" dialogue and the "Manually search for mfx locomotives" which is seen to do a scan.
Can you confirm ?
Also Marklin might be interested to know how you came to this interpretation, and how they might have better addressed any implied equivalence.
Peter
Offline jerdenberg  
#116 Posted : 01 January 2018 13:58:03(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
My (second-hand) CS2 updated without a problem some time ago, but it is a pity that the cs2.exe program is still in its <2017 state (version 3.8.1), which prevents me from accessing the extra functions from Windows.
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.