Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artfull dodger  
#1 Posted : 06 July 2017 23:45:17(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I have a 4' by 8' table, but its only access is from the front as it fits in one end of my tiny room. I am planning to narrow the front edge in the middle as I have shelves at the rear with my LGB/Marklin large scale trains on them that I need to reach with a step stool. I will take a pic of my C track that I do have that runs along that planned narrowing of the front table edge(I haven't cut it out yet). Problem becomes, if I do this, the run around loop where the station would be is at the rear and cannot be enjoyed as well. I was not planning to run a double track loop. Maybe a smaller station instead of a larger one is an option. I do plan to put a mountain up in one corner for my castle ruins to be on top of. Pic coming shortly of the way I am thinking of doing the front of the layout to help me access the rear of the layout and my shelves. Mike
20170706_181256.jpeg20170706_181325.jpeg
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline artfull dodger  
#2 Posted : 07 July 2017 00:23:34(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
No catenary is planned, I have to many issues with body/space judgement thanks to autism and I would get myself tangled up in the overhead wiring when trying to put trains on the track ect. Want more of a branchline feel and not the main line. So far I have a V160 diesel, the BR24 that my starter set came with, a BR86 that is off for digital repair and for the moment I have BR212/213 set. But those are for sale/trade at the moment. I also plan to get a couple swiss steamers with the Habersack engine being the first one and one of the Elephant steamers next year. My engines are a mix of era with both era 3 and 4. The pair that are for sale are a mix of basic DB red and DB Cargo paint schemes. I find trying to figure out track plans confusing and overwhelming, and prefer to work from a known track plan that gives me the exact pieces of C track to use. The planned cut out doesn't have to happen. I can manage without cutting that out if necessary. Mike
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 07 July 2017 08:17:54(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Mike,
I think you said somewhere that you got a starter set.
These often come with a track plans booklet, and concentrate on 8 x 4' type plans, and I reckon they are fantastic.
If you want a few scans of these, let us know.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Alsterstreek  
#4 Posted : 07 July 2017 11:54:55(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi Mike,
I think you said somewhere that you got a starter set.
These often come with a track plans booklet, and concentrate on 8 x 4' type plans, and I reckon they are fantastic.
If you want a few scans of these, let us know.

regards
Kimball

Below the link to the official Maerklin track plan brochure covering the different expansion steps for the C Track extension set program (in both German and English):

https://www.maerklin.de/...C3%A4nzungspackungen.pdf
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline artfull dodger  
#5 Posted : 07 July 2017 17:33:55(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
My set only came with a bi ligual book with 1 track plan in it. But thanks for the link, I am printing it out now so I can study it. I did see a couple that have potential and would fit on my table. I have to watch whats at the rear of the table as I have to reach across the width of the table if there is a derailment or other issue. In time, and if my new job works out long term, I will probably have a layout built for me. But that is very expensive, so my own set up will have to do for a few years atleast. Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline artfull dodger  
#6 Posted : 07 July 2017 18:47:07(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I found a track plan I like, and I believe it will fit in my space. Its like .2 over in length and about the same in width when I do the conversion from cm to feet and inches. Till I get a pic posted of it, its on page 15 of the gleisplane that is linked to above. Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline Bones  
#7 Posted : 22 July 2017 12:39:30(UTC)
Bones

Australia   
Dear Artful Dodger

My best advice to you is download some track planning software such as Anyrail ( You have to pay for this one ) or Scarm which is free

Look up a few plans that have been published and then use the software to fiddle around with the plans

Just a word of warning when using planning software - While a plan may seem to work ALWAYS test it out first don't rush the building of it

I learnt a few quick lesson's while building my own layoutWink

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bones