Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline digitaltrainshort  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2017 14:26:17(UTC)
digitaltrainshort

Serbia   
Hello all!

I have a problem with my E118 (E18) electric locomotive or to be precise, with the middle gear in the gear box.

The middle gear in the gear box is sever damaged and I really do not know how that happened nor how that is possible at all! The gear box was sold under the spare part number 370130, but now, it just can not be found.

I have turned the Planet upside down, and I failed to find it. I found that gear box (powered truck) at "Trainz" but "Trainz" is not sending spare parts nor anything else outside the US. The price for that spare part at Marklin is 24 Euros and price at the "Trainz" is 37,40 US$. Unfortunately, as they are not sending anything outside the US. the difference in price is significant. But, nevermind, the most important thing is that it can not be shipped no matter what you ask them to do or to make any exception(s).

The gear box has three gears: the main one - first one next to the rotor, second one - which transmits power to the first powered gear and, the third one - between two powered wheels.

In my model of the BR118 (E18) the second one is heavily damaged. It is out of mind as the gear is made of brass rotating around smooth steel axle. Brass is self oiling material and very hard to worn out. Steel axle is made of hard steel and it is not even "touched". The gear has a hole in the center and that hole is widen so the gear can move in all directions - up, down, left, right. When it moves down, it stuck the transmission and locomotive can not run. The same thing happens when I change direction of travel.

Marklin never gave those gears as separate spare parts so I do not know its number as a spare part (gear). It is hard to believe that Marklin does not make it anymore regarding large number of models of the same type that they made and which belongs to different Eras. Among them, there are three models of the similar or the same locomotive but in different liveries: E17 (well it is a little different), E18, E19 (which are, basically the same) and I do not want to mention versions of those models that Marklin made.

3368 needed gear.jpg3368 needed gear.jpgDoes anyone know the number of that gear as a spare part, perhaps?

Also, I got informations from "Matschke" and "LokShop" that they do not have it (complete gear box - 370130). I got interesting answer from "Matschke": "Sorry, Marklin is not producing that spare part anymore"....?!?!?!?!? I did not ask "Marklin", I asked them for that spare part!!! Incredible answer!

Also, I contacted SB Modellbau and they answered asking me to mark desired gear. I did it but, so far, there is no reply from them. Maybe, they will do it when they find it, or maybe they will never reply on my request.

I bought new Tams decoder for that locomotive but I was unable to test it in full nor to adjust driving chracteristics of the locomotive since the transmission failed. Now, the locomotive is standing as a "monument" waiting for unknown period of time to be repaired.

So, are there anyone who can help about this?

Thank you on your answers, time and effort up in front!

I shall attach picture of the gear box with marked gear that I need.

Best wishes to all,
Digitaltrain

P.S. Sorry, I uploaded the same file twice!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2017 15:34:59(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: digitaltrainshort Go to Quoted Post
It is out of mind as the gear is made of brass rotating around smooth steel axle. Brass is self oiling material and very hard to worn out.

Umm, no you are wrong to say brass is self oiling - this may be why it has failed if you haven't oiled it.

Brass is quite soft, and definitely need oil when run on a steel shaft. It won't need very much, just a tiny drop.

You don't list the catalogue number of the loco. A catalogue number would help make sure the correct gear is found. The gear boxes between locos of the same type changed over the years.

Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 13 July 2017 18:31:12(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Märklin has produced quite a few of these locos: DB Br 18, Br 19, BR 118, and ÖBB Rh 1018., it is to late for me tonight to look further into this., I was surprised when I've looked up the spare part list and there are no cogwheels mentioned. I had trouble with one of my BR 19 but I can remember the spare part I looked at had the cogwheels as spare part.

regards.,.
John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Dave Banks  
#4 Posted : 13 July 2017 22:28:43(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
By the look of things you are going to have to get the whole "Triebgestell"complete namely #307130.
I am using Marklin #3769 as an example.

3769_explo.pdf (115kb) downloaded 40 time(s).

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Marklin-...3190a:g:Hk4AAOSwTM5Y4Uil

Note: The above seller does not have a squeaky clean reputation. Buyer beware. ThumbDown

Edited by user 14 July 2017 11:53:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

D.A.Banks
#5 Posted : 14 July 2017 13:19:44(UTC)
digitaltrainshort

Serbia   
Hello all!

Thank You on your suggestions and thoughts!

I have to add something here: brass material is very hard for usage because of its characteristics. First of all, have You ever tried to make a hole with your Dremel tool or similar into the thin board made of brass, perhaps?! Well, I did and it took me almost an hour to do it although that "board" was 0,01 mm thick!

Only with diamond drill it could be done faster...

That is why it is very hard to widen the hole of the gear when it rotates around smooth steel axle. I must add here that the oil was present so the hole thing is more "out of mind" than it should be. But, maybe, there was no oil enough so it happened.

And, in the end, You could be right.

Regarding that seller, I found it too as I said in my message. I do not know anything about its reputation to be honest, but they are only one that "has" that part (it could be false).

The number of the gear is under big question. Marklin answered me and told me that they, simply, do not have that spare part nor they said anything regarding the specific gear. I sent them picture of the blow-up diagram with marked gear asking them to tell me the number of the gear. Maybe, they will not answer on this at all.

Regarding a "few" models, I must say that I disagree. They (Marklin) made many models of, practial, same locomotive for different Era's: Era II DRG, Era III DB and Era IV. Also, there are at least five to 8 models of the same model in different liveries: grey, green, red, blue, beige-blue, silver...All in all they made a lot of them and therefore, it is not understandable why they do not have spare parts for it, does not matter if it is complete gear box or gears one-by-one as a spare parts.

If someone find out the number of the particular gear, please let me know so I can start looking for it!

Once again, thank you all on your interest, time and effort!...and suggestions of course!

Best regards and wishes,
Digitaltrainshort
Offline Markus Schild  
#6 Posted : 14 July 2017 14:04:34(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

If you know the number of teeth and the diameter it is sometimes possible to find the spare-part number of the single wheel. Most of the gear-wheels are used on more than one model.

Regards

Markus
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 14 July 2017 18:11:41(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
one thing I wouldn't try and buy any spareparts from dealers who charge you a fortune for it.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Webmaster  
#8 Posted : 14 July 2017 21:34:33(UTC)
Webmaster

A good photo of the gear, and a detailed description of it as suggested earlier might be a good help to help you finding this special gear.

Since Märklin uses the same gears in many locos, it could even be that it exists in "cheap scrap loks" that members have, does not sound like a "special" gear to me but like a rather standard 2nd gear.
In some locos these are made of plastic, mostly starter set loks, but it should not be impossible to find that gear if we know the exact spec.

What I mean is that it might be the same gear as used in eg a 3000 which is a common spare part loco, or other cheap locos which are used for spare parts...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
#9 Posted : 15 July 2017 12:21:49(UTC)
digitaltrainshort

Serbia   
Hello all!

That gear does not look like "special one" and that is true! I found out that it, maybe, can be found in gear box for BR120. I have that model and I compare it, certainly, I did not dismounted my BR120 gear box, but I put this damaged gear over the gear inside the BR120 gear box.

It looks that they are the same. They just look like it, but I can not be sure 100%. If I decide to get new BR120 gear box, I may missed it again. BR120 gear box has the same number of teeth on the gear in the position 1 as the gear at the same position in BR118(E18).

Regarding model 3000, I think that those gears are too small. I can not say this with 100% accuracy, as I do not know how the things are standing there, but I shall check it out.

Chances to find it in gear box of BR120 is 65:35 but still, I can not be so sure....

The similar gear is in Re 4/4, but they are different: the gear in the position 1 has 7 teeth and the gear in BR118 (E18) has 8! That is big difference and it clearly shows how you can make a mistake easily!

So far, there is no respond from SB Modellbau although they asked me to mark desired gear. Obviously, they need time to find it or, they just do not have it. I shall wait for some time...

Once again, thank You all on your time and suggestions!

Digitaltrain
Offline dominator  
#10 Posted : 16 July 2017 08:47:51(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
hi digitaltrainshort,

You need to look at an exploded diagram of the loco [ and it helps to know haw many teeth the gear has ]. Those parts ought to be available.
I have an F800 that in needed 2 x 18 teeth gears for so I went through all the locos till I found 2 different part nos for 18 teeth gears. I emailed Walthers, they told me only one of them was available but not in stock. 4 weeks later a packet of 3 arrived. They fit. Loco going ok now.
I will see if I can send you the link'

Dereck

Try putting this link on the google search https://www.maerklin.de/...and=1&artikelnummer= followed by the model number of the loco you have.
for example
https://www.maerklin.de/...1&artikelnummer=3518

shows item 10, Z25 [ 25 teeth ] part no 228300

DereckBigGrin
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline Webmaster  
#11 Posted : 19 July 2017 18:45:11(UTC)
Webmaster

digitaltrainshort needs these, I've been told:

First one - 30 teeth and its number is E231850.
Second one which is positioned between two powered wheel axles with 24 teeth, its number is E232450.

Now, if we knew the outer diameter of these wheels - we could search our scrap boxes (ehh... our spare part inventory... )... Smile

Edit - Can actually be ordered here too:

3-pack of E321850 - https://modellbahnmarkt2...AD-3-Stueck::223073.html
2-pack of E232450 - https://modellbahnmarkt2...AD-2-Stueck::223100.html
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
#12 Posted : 20 July 2017 13:58:08(UTC)
digitaltrainshort

Serbia   
Hello all!

Thank You on all of your replies! All of they are very useful!

Yes, the site administrator is right. The numbers are correct. I shall attach two pictures of the bogie of my BR118 so every one can see what it is all about. Please, note that the mentioned gear is the weak point of the all locomoitives from that series!

Thank You all on your attention and time!

Best wishes and regards,
Digitaltrainshort

BR118 powered box 2.jpgBR118 powered box gear movement.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by digitaltrainshort
#13 Posted : 20 July 2017 14:06:29(UTC)
digitaltrainshort

Serbia   
Hello, all!

I have just uploaded corrected picture.

Thank You all on your time and attention!

Best wishes and regards,
Digitaltrainshort