Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Carim  
#1 Posted : 03 July 2017 10:06:22(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi,

I bought a new Br 182 (88586) in October 2016; when testing it, I found that it really had a very low top speed (compared to other Marklin locos) although this did not bother me. I did not run it frequently since then and during a recent operating session I noticed that its movement (forward and reverse) had a distinct stutter. I assumed that this was because I had not run it frequently enough. So I let it make about 30 laps of my small layout - the movement got a bit smoother but when I picked the loco up, the frame under the motor was so hot that it was painful to touch. I thought that this can't be good!

I had read elsewhere, that a hot loco indicated a lack of oil. So I opened the loco up - if anything, there was too much oil. Anyhow, I stripped the mechanism down, gave it a good clean and relubricated the worm gear and bogie gears with a tiny bit of Labelle 108. When I tested the re-assembled model, the movement was much smoother but even after a few laps, it got rather warm.

Has anyone else experienced this problem either with this loco or another? Is there anything else that I could do about it?

Thanks,
Carim
Offline artfull dodger  
#2 Posted : 03 July 2017 15:30:28(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
It is highly possible that the excessive oil has fouled out the motor brushes and communtator surface. Filling the slots with oiling carbon gunk. You will probably need to clean or replace the motor if its a sealed unit. Been a long time since I worked on a Mini Club engine to remember if you can access the motor brushes and the copper surface of the rotating armature(communtator) to clean it. Marklin did have a rash of Mini Club engines that are known for the factory oil getting stiff and binding up the whole locomotive. Requiring a full tear down, cleaning and reassembly to restore operation and avoid burning up the motor. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline Artologic  
#3 Posted : 20 July 2017 13:14:27(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
If the motor is full of oil, you can reach it by removing the hood and the circuit board, after which the motor can be removed/accessed. Don t forget to replace or remove the oil from the brushes too, otherwise the issue will return real quick.

Kristof
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Artologic
Offline Carim  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2018 11:00:36(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
An update on this one. Even after cleaning it, this loco still got very hot. Also as I mentioned in previous posts, this loco seemed to have a much lower range of speed than my other Marklin locos - that didn't worry me as I like slow running.

Anyhow, I phoned up the retailer and asked him about it - he suggested that the heat was due to the brushes being pressed too tightly against the commutator. So I gently bent back the springs that hold the brushes in a few times, took the brushes out a couple of times and also gave them a poke when they were back in place. That seemed to free up the range of movement in one direction and in that direction, no excess heat seems to be gnerated.

So I thought partial success, maybe one of the brushes is still too tight. So I repeated the procedure. But as I disassembled the loco, one of the wire whiskers connecting the circiut board to the capacitor just fell out of its blob of solder. So out came the soldering iron. Then, on testing, the other whisker seemed to have stopped conducting electricity; so I had to resolder that connection! This was a brand new loco when I bought it. Cursing

After a couple of hours I seem to have solved the problem in one direction and made it much better in the other. Maybe, when I have regained the will to live Laugh, I will have another go at it and get perfect running.

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline grahame  
#5 Posted : 18 February 2018 15:26:32(UTC)
grahame

United States   
Thank you..I would never have thought of that..i have carefully unbent (is that a word) the brushes..did a very careful lube again..seems to have helped...running nicely right now..let's see...but mine was doing EXACTLY what you reported in your previous thread,

Cheers

ps I thing I did do..with the head of a needle dipped in correct oil..I lubricated the BOTTOM end of the armature shaft (which they do not tell you to do). I was very careful to get the oil below that little shoulder above which is the commutator. The symptoms could all be slight binding somewhere too...
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#6 Posted : 18 February 2018 21:08:58(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post

After a couple of hours I seem to have solved the problem in one direction and made it much better in the other. Maybe, when I have regained the will to live Laugh, I will have another go at it and get perfect running.

Carim

I recently (having waited most of 2017 for it to be released) got hold of the track construction set 81451 featuring a very attractive Ludmilla locomotive. It's a really nice set, though I was a bit disappointed to see not all 6 axles are powered as advertised, just the outer two of each bogie.

Although I was initially pretty happy with the running of this locomotive, I noted that it often required quite a lot of "throttle" to get it moving, particularly in one direction. I gave the loco a bit of running in, in each direction, in the hope that it would loosen things up, but if anything this made things worse to the extent that it sometimes wouldn't get going at all, even with full throttle applied. Needless to say, I dismantled the thing and investigated what was going wrong. I concluded it was one of the idler gears in one of the bogies riding up and jamming when running in one direction - at which point I contacted the retailer who replaced the locomotive immediately. The replacement has shown no such problems and I'm very happy with it.

However, I have concluded there is a flaw in the bogie design and that there is too much play in the gear and wheel mounting (you can see this if you bring a bogie locomotive to a halt and then gradually reverse direction - the motor will run briefly as the slop is taken up and the bogies will tilt ever so slightly and the gearing is re-engaged. In extreme circumstances I reckon there can be enough play that the gears can jam completely.

Anyway, this is all to say that I have also noted that bogie locomotives often run better in one direction than the other, but that I think it's due to mechanical issues within the gearing of the bogies. In honesty, I can't see how tension on the motor brushes could cause the motor to run better in one direction than the other (though it's also hard to see how issues in the bogies could do the same).

Anyway, as the loco is new, I think I'd urge you to try and get a replacement. I don't think you'll ever be satisfied with the running of the one you have and a replacement will probably solve everything.

All the best

Chris

Offline Carim  
#7 Posted : 18 February 2018 23:00:12(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your thoughts - I have been rather busy lately, so I haven't had a chance to have another go at this. I certainly will have a look at the gears as well. Unfortunately, I have already repaired the wire whiskers and so I am sure that I have invalidated my warranty. (I couldn't face having to send the loco up North to the retailer, then he'd send it back South to Gaugemaster and then they'd send it to Marklin. GM already warned me that Marklin would take at least 4 months to respond/do anything.)

Anyhow, not to worry, I take all these setbacks as part of the hobby. BigGrin

Carim