Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline grahame  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2017 18:49:19(UTC)
grahame

United States   
I and others have described the issue with Rokuhan controllers tripping out with Marklin locos which draw a much higher current than American Z and MicroTrains. I have made very sure to clean and fully maintain my Marklin locos to try and prevent this. I have found that even with this some of my locos will immediately trip out the controller especially if used after a period of inactivity. This little trick has got me running again many times and I thought I would pass it along. I think this happens when just for a brief moment the Marklin loco requires a current above that limit on the controller..but just to get it started..thereafter it will run happily. I take one of those cylindrical battery holders for a torch..the ones which hold 3 AAA batteries. Max output will be 4.5 volts would will be quite safe for the loco. Take two small electrical crocodile clips..attach to the poles of the battery holder (this can be a bit tricky but is possible)....and jump the power across the tracks for 2-3 seconds (controller turned off). Your loco will move...immediately follow this by disconnecting cables and powering on the Rokuhan controller to about the same 4.5 volts (same polarity of course) and voila..she runs..and may well run happily for an hour or more.

Hope this helps...just because it initially does not start but trips out the controller..it does not necessarily mean your loco is in bad shape. These Marklin's run quite close to the limits of the controller.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by grahame
Offline parakiet  
#2 Posted : 20 February 2017 20:14:34(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
I suspected something..

When older Marklin 3 pole loco's stall they send the RC0x controller in 'fault' :-/
Offline ztrack  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2017 19:04:31(UTC)
ztrack

Rokuhan has alerted us to a specification change to the March 2017 run of RC03s controllers.

Select Marklin locomotives could cause the short circuit breaker to trip on the early series of RC03s. This was an erroneous condition and not caused by a defective or problematic locomotive.

The March 2017 series of RC03 have increased the output from 800mW to 900mW. This was done to adjust the resister value and address these specific Märklin locomotives.

Contact your Rokuhan dealer to verify the RC03 they have in stock is the 900mW version. We distribute Rokuhan products in North America and only are offering the 900mW versions fro this point forward.

Rob Klz
Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
The Magazine For Z Scale Model Railroading.
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ztrack
Offline strummer  
#4 Posted : 26 October 2017 17:26:38(UTC)
strummer

United States   
I've read about this issue before, yet (so far anyway) I have NOT had this happen while using my RC-02 with Marklin locos.

They do take a bit more voltage to get moving than do my MTLs, but seem to run just fine using this device...FWIW

Mark in Oregon