Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sethweeks73  
#1 Posted : 04 July 2017 06:58:21(UTC)
sethweeks73

United States   
Greetings,
I did several searches of the site on this topic and could not find an answer. I hope I am not repeating a topic. I was wondering if there would be any issues running Marklin equipment fitted with sliders on the older M track with the solid third rail. I was wondering if there would be increased wear on the slider from the solid rail. Also I was wondering if there would be issues with the slider on the turnouts.
Thank you,
Seth
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 04 July 2017 11:03:28(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Seth, for years I ran my locos on a mix of both types of M-track with no problems.

Some locos would slow down on the 3 rail track due to increased friction, but that was the only effect I would see.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Jabez  
#3 Posted : 04 July 2017 16:25:22(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I suppose that since its inception and for many decades thereafter the Maerklin slider system only used a solid third rail means that there is no issue here. I also suppose that the point contacts were introduced primarily for aesthetic reasons.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline nmbssncb  
#4 Posted : 09 July 2017 14:13:25(UTC)
nmbssncb

I would imagine that the bigger the surfaces touching each other, the bigger the surface on the slider will show wear. It all depends of course on how easily the slider veers up and down (spring action weak or strong).
Ever since Maerklin switched to point contacts (in the late 1950s), the sliders have become longer, obviously to obtain good contact with the (small) point contacts, but also to make sure the slider does not touch the rails on turnouts.
K-rail has wider point contacts than the newer C-rail. Obviously, Maerklin's aim is that the track looks more "2-rail" than "3-rail", to please the 2-rail "fundamentalists" among the 3-railers.

Willy