Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jkoellmer  
#1 Posted : 03 September 2016 22:57:31(UTC)
jkoellmer

I just purchased my first Roco locomotive and am having difficulty addressing its functions on my Marklin layout using my CS2. I found no documentation with the loco regarding even what digital address to use (had to call a friend who told me to try "3" as all Roco locos come set to that address from the factory). Who knew? I am now able to address it properly on my layout in order to get it to run, but am still puzzled about some of the 12 functions that the CS2 thinks it has. Many basic functions of light and sound I learned by trial-and-error, but several don't seem to result in any action?? I'd like to know if I have a faulty decoder unit, or if the functions are intentionally left blank. Anyone know where I can learn more about just what digital decoder is installed and what all the functions are supposed to do?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Jeff
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 03 September 2016 23:42:31(UTC)
H0

Hi, Jeff!

The loco should come with a leaflet that shows which functions it has - at least if it is a sound loco.

The CS2 does not know which functions the loco has. Select a useful icon for any function that does something.
Probably you only have F0 (lights), F3 (shunting mode) and F4 (ABV off) if it is a loco without sound.
The people at Märklin decided to add 13 symbols by default. You can add more symbols to get 16 functions or clear symbols for functions your loco does not support.

And 3 is the default address used by all companies nowadays - except the market leader.
The loco should come with a decoder manual that shows this default address.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline jkoellmer  
#3 Posted : 04 September 2016 00:12:30(UTC)
jkoellmer

Thanks Tom. My loco is brand new, with sound and camera, but no leaflet that describes the functions... I checked several times. Do you know if there is a website somewhere that describes the assigned functions?
Thanks
Jeff
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 04 September 2016 08:27:31(UTC)
H0

Roco provide spare part lists on their site, but no loco manuals with the function assignments.

Did you dive to the bottom of the Roco box? Manuals usually are below the loco.

I don't have any camera locos from Roco, but if you share the ref. number here, maybe someone can provide further information.
The loco may have more than 16 functions - and F16 and above cannot yet be accessed with the current CS2 GUI.
If it is a Zimo decoder, then swapping functions should be a rather simple task.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 04 September 2016 09:20:43(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: jkoellmer Go to Quoted Post
I just purchased my first Roco locomotive and am having difficulty addressing its functions on my Marklin layout using my CS2. I found no documentation with the loco regarding even what digital address to use (had to call a friend who told me to try "3" as all Roco locos come set to that address from the factory). Who knew? I am now able to address it properly on my layout in order to get it to run, but am still puzzled about some of the 12 functions that the CS2 thinks it has. Many basic functions of light and sound I learned by trial-and-error, but several don't seem to result in any action?? I'd like to know if I have a faulty decoder unit, or if the functions are intentionally left blank. Anyone know where I can learn more about just what digital decoder is installed and what all the functions are supposed to do?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Jeff

Roco do have Zimo sound decoder and both two and three rail loco do have same standard adress 3.
Now the name of the loco must be adjust after you did called up loco adress for the first time by use loco.
This acting are same for the MS2.
When you did fix it,then accept loco.
Now you can adjust the symbols of the function assignments.
Accept it by confirm.
CS2 do have same principle like MS2 by accept loco for first time,if you follow steps how to accept new loco for the digital system CS2 or MS2.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline jkoellmer  
#6 Posted : 05 September 2016 01:17:47(UTC)
jkoellmer

Its a Roco 73234 model camera loc. If anyone has one and the guide that indicates which functions do what, I would very much appreciate either a scan of the functions page, a post here or an email. Thanks.
Jeff
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 05 September 2016 19:18:19(UTC)
H0

I found this guide on the Roco site:
https://www.roco.cc/doc/...20-%20English_203297.pdf

Maybe the screen shot "Pic 3" helps to assign symbols for the function.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline jkoellmer  
#8 Posted : 16 September 2016 01:34:12(UTC)
jkoellmer

Well... This is embarrassing! I was away from home when researching the Roco digital stuff. I returned home and (as Tom suggests), dove to the bottom of the box. Sure enough, below the shipping foam was the booklet for the sound decoder with all the function assignments.Crying Anyhow, I do appreciate all the hints and responses, they're always helpful in this forum. I even take back all the "negative impressions" I was developing about Roco items. I love the loco and it runs smooth as silk.... Thanks and again, I apologize for wasting everyones time.
Jeff
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jkoellmer
Offline PMPeter  
#9 Posted : 08 July 2017 06:12:29(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Don't feel bad. I encountered the same problem today when I opened my new Roco camera locomotive box and got only the operating sheet, the parts list diagram, the video camera password and the inspection tag at the top of the box. It wasn't until I read this thread that I realized I better remove all the foam from the bottom, and sure enough there was the CV list and the rest of the manual. Not sure why they split up the documentation that way.

However, from the CV list, functions F0-F7 work as described. F8 is supposed to turn off the Drivers Cab 2 lights (which if it means the main road lights it does), and then from F9 to F14 I get no functions even though it describes F9, F12, F13, and F14. Did you have the same problem?

Cheers
Peter
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 08 July 2017 09:03:14(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
Don't feel bad. I encountered the same problem today when I opened my new Roco camera locomotive box and got only the operating sheet, the parts list diagram, the video camera password and the inspection tag at the top of the box. It wasn't until I read this thread that I realized I better remove all the foam from the bottom, and sure enough there was the CV list and the rest of the manual. Not sure why they split up the documentation that way.

However, from the CV list, functions F0-F7 work as described. F8 is supposed to turn off the Drivers Cab 2 lights (which if it means the main road lights it does), and then from F9 to F14 I get no functions even though it describes F9, F12, F13, and F14. Did you have the same problem?

Cheers
Peter

Peter, some sound functions (F0-F14) may not all be noise related when the loco is in stationary mode, e.g. half speed, acceleration delay, curve squeal, track noise, camera on-off, and maybe other sound function which are only activated when the loco is in motion.
I thought the papers which come with the loco would indicate whats what.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline PMPeter  
#11 Posted : 08 July 2017 15:55:30(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Yes I thought of that, but in case of light switching F8 works yet F9 does not. Here are the functions I am having trouble with:

F6 Shunting Mode - not sure what it is supposed to do. I see no difference whether it is on or off

F8 Light deactivation for driver's cabin 2 - I can not tell whether this loco has cabin lights (I'll have to open it up) or if the description refers to the head/tail lamps. Activating F8 turns the headlights off at this loco end

F9 Light deactivation for driver's cabin 1 - Does nothing

F10-F11 - not listed and assumed not used

F12 Conductor's whistle - Does nothing

F13 Compressor - Does nothing (this may be motion related)

F14 Mute - Does nothing

I'm thinking of resetting the decoder, but before I do that was wondering if anyone else having this loco has a similar experience.

Peter
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 08 July 2017 16:55:07(UTC)
H0

F6 Shunting Mode - not sure what it is supposed to do. I see no difference whether it is on or off
With Shunting Mode the maximum speed of the loco is reduced, giving your more speed steps in the low-speed range for shunting.

F14 Mute - Does nothing
Mute mutes the sound.

F8 Light deactivation for driver's cabin 2 - I can not tell whether this loco has cabin lights (I'll have to open it up) or if the description refers to the head/tail lamps. Activating F8 turns the headlights off at this loco end

Most likely no cab lights (interior lights), but disabling the head-lights on one side.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline PMPeter  
#13 Posted : 08 July 2017 17:23:50(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
With Shunting Mode the maximum speed of the loco is reduced, giving your more speed steps in the low-speed range for shunting.

Thanks I will test that.

F14 Mute - Does nothing
Mute mutes the sound.

I understand that, but it does nothing.

Most likely no cab lights (interior lights), but disabling the head-lights on one side.

F6 and F14 responses embedded above.

Yes I have assumed that since F8 does turn off the direction lights at that end, but F9 does nothing, regardless of travel direction setting.

Faulty decoder?

Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 09 July 2017 04:01:52(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Thanks I will test that.

F14 Mute - Does nothing
Mute mutes the sound.

I understand that, but it does nothing.

F6 and F14 responses embedded above.

Yes I have assumed that since F8 does turn off the direction lights at that end, but F9 does nothing, regardless of travel direction setting.

Faulty decoder?

I don't think so, if your decoder would be faulty you wouldn't hear any sounds. go and get yourself a brochure from the internet and see what the other functions are there for. I'll have a look as well and see what I can come up with.

one would think over the years, manufacturers such as Roco and Märklin to make digital locos more compatible and Zimo's CV programming you need to go to University to obtain a degree how to program digital locos, for me it easy to program ESU decoders with the lokprogrammer and I assume the same happens with the new Märklin programmer.

http://www.roco.cc/doc/a...20-%20English_203297.pdf

John
Offline PMPeter  
#15 Posted : 09 July 2017 05:21:15(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Thanks John.

Actually I reset the loco to factory settings, deleted the loco from the CS2, and started over. All functions now work the way they should per the CV function list. I must have scrambled something while I was thrashing around trying to find the digital address yesterday.

Now if I could only upload the Railjet icon into the CS2, I would be all set. I have one at 4kb PNG 96x32 pixels but it will just not upload into the Icons folder.

Tomorrow's challenge.

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline countrylink  
#16 Posted : 09 July 2017 08:21:47(UTC)
countrylink

Australia   
Offline river6109  
#17 Posted : 09 July 2017 12:04:34(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Thanks John.

Actually I reset the loco to factory settings, deleted the loco from the CS2, and started over. All functions now work the way they should per the CV function list. I must have scrambled something while I was thrashing around trying to find the digital address yesterday.

Now if I could only upload the Railjet icon into the CS2, I would be all set. I have one at 4kb PNG 96x32 pixels but it will just not upload into the Icons folder.

Tomorrow's challenge.

Peter

Peter, the good part with the ECOS is, on their website you can download loco pictures in ther ight format and size, saves a lot of hassles.
you have to have the right format