Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mark Lynn  
#1 Posted : 01 July 2017 08:47:19(UTC)
Mark Lynn

Indonesia   
Hi everybody,
I am new to this topic and I will sound very boring: I used to buy Marklin over years but never had a chance to settle down, build my own layout and run trains, the ultimate goal for most of us in this forum right?
Long story short: I have a mix of M-track, C-track, Era II steam locos (mainly BR03 #37951 and BR18.4 #37184) and rolling stock which I shall use as the basis for the above. So far, so good, but when it comes to controlling the whole thing, I am at a loss: I have a #6021, a #6036 and a 52 VA Trafo #6002. I discovered videos of locos with sound decoders on the net (MFX, etc...) which definitively add a delightful aspect to the game and I would love running my locos with all possible sound effects. Do I need to go ALL-digitial, meaning controlling also signals and points? Is what I have enough to get started? Do I need to replace 6021 & 6036 by 60657? The usual candid questions... Any help on this will be much appreciated.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 01 July 2017 09:12:13(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Welcome to the forum.

The Intellibox is about as old as the 6021, so maybe this thread started by an Intellibox owner will provide some information:
https://www.marklin-user...d-stations-are-available

You can start with the 6021. You may miss some sound functions on modern mfx locos. You do not need decoders for signals or turnouts if you want to operate them manually or electrically.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 01 July 2017 09:24:15(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Mark Lynn Go to Quoted Post
Hi everybody,
I am new to this topic and I will sound very boring: I used to buy Marklin over years but never had a chance to settle down, build my own layout and run trains, the ultimate goal for most of us in this forum right?
Long story short: I have a mix of M-track, C-track, Era II steam locos (mainly BR03 #37951 and BR18.4 #37184) and rolling stock which I shall use as the basis for the above. So far, so good, but when it comes to controlling the whole thing, I am at a loss: I have a #6021, a #6036 and a 52 VA Trafo #6002. I discovered videos of locos with sound decoders on the net (MFX, etc...) which definitively add a delightful aspect to the game and I would love running my locos with all possible sound effects. Do I need to go ALL-digitial, meaning controlling also signals and points? Is what I have enough to get started? Do I need to replace 6021 & 6036 by 60657? The usual candid questions... Any help on this will be much appreciated.

Hello!
I would go for the 60657 MS2.
This digital system do have more protocols to use and choice.
You can control MM,mfx,mfx+ and DCC protocol.
You can also use 2 and 3 rail tracks by use digital locomotives either 2 or 3 rail system but of course multi locomotive like ESU which can been choice 2 or 3 rail system by pull off pick up shoe or put back.
MS2 60657 can also been use with the turnouts and signals digital by choice MM or DCC protocol.
This is good system!
Don´t forget to use box and power feeder too.
It´s 60116 and 66360/66361.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Mark Lynn  
#4 Posted : 01 July 2017 12:14:16(UTC)
Mark Lynn

Indonesia   
Thank you HO / Goofy for your input. I'll definitively consider.