Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline steventrain  
#1 Posted : 22 June 2017 14:36:13(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline MaerklinLife  
#2 Posted : 22 June 2017 16:15:55(UTC)
MaerklinLife

PIKO proves that good quality can come out of China if you are in control and know how to manage your factory. I love PIKO products!
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline sjbartels  
#3 Posted : 22 June 2017 19:10:12(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Piko comprises the second largest amount of lot's and rolling stock in my collection, and I have no complaints about any of it. In fact, I think their 4 axle tank cars are even better than Märklin's in the attention to detail department, so if they're all coming from China, the quality control is obviously good.

That being said, just because they have a manufacturing facility in China, doesn't mean that everything is produced there either. Could this just be lower end Hobby line products, or basic track and electronic components and everything else like Expert and Classic lines still coming out of Sonnenberg?
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline Jabez  
#4 Posted : 22 June 2017 22:58:51(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
I love PIKO products!

I have bought some recently and have been favourably impressed with the quality and repro fidelity.

I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline applor  
#5 Posted : 23 June 2017 01:16:08(UTC)
applor

Australia   
From a quality point of view it really shouldn't matter where something is produced. Material, equipment and trained personal are not location specific in todays global economy so if a Chinese manufactured product isn't up to spec it really is the fault of the company for failing in one of those areas.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline Leitner  
#6 Posted : 23 June 2017 06:16:32(UTC)
Leitner

Taiwan, Province Of China   
As usual is just a matter of quality control when you produce in China (or elsewhere in the world), I have several Piko locomotive and rolling stock, they are really nice and price is cheap.
Ep. III (My layout is set in 1962).
I collect mainly DSB, DB and SBB but I'm quite... Open minded.
I'm quite a big collector of NOHAB lok :)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Leitner
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 23 June 2017 08:13:39(UTC)
Goofy

I have seen Piko models and they don´t look so good quality like Märklin/Trix,ESU or Brawa.
If somebody says Piko are good okey but i prefer trains like ESU and Brawa.
It´s all matter of the taste.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline danmarklinman  
#8 Posted : 23 June 2017 10:06:24(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
I have seen Piko models and they don´t look so good quality like Märklin/Trix,ESU or Brawa.

I have to say. I did have some Piko? It's was ok, but it was cheap after all. I still used my Marklin shunter over the Piko loco, everytime. The Piko locos were larger and weighed less? So in the end they got sold?
I will buy second hand Marklin now, rather than Piko. But that's just my opinion.
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 23 June 2017 12:38:05(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Leitner Go to Quoted Post
As usual is just a matter of quality control when you produce in China (or elsewhere in the world)
Piko have their own factory in China and they always have a German executive on site. Quality control seems to work well.

Originally Posted by: Leitner Go to Quoted Post
I have several Piko locomotive and rolling stock, they are really nice and price is cheap.
Cheap? They partnered with ESU for sound decoders, so some of their Expert sound locos are now above €200. Some of their freight cars have list prices of €50.
Nice, and IMO worth the money, but I wouldn't call that "cheap".

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline MaerklinLife  
#10 Posted : 23 June 2017 20:10:42(UTC)
MaerklinLife

@Goofy
That is a funny remark about the quality. I have several PIKO models that have a five pole motor, LED lighting, Plux22 plug and nice details. Where as the, sometimes, 80€ more expensive Märklin model has old crappy noisy motor and is based on a 30 or more year old mold.

I don't know what you value in quality, but I value great technology just as I value great details and a price that justifies the work put into making the model. I think PIKO models have a great balance between price, tech and detailing, oh and they run very well.

Märklin has let me down several times lately. I am starting to become annoyed with paying too much for too little. Metal housing isn't everything in my world.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline PhillipL  
#11 Posted : 23 June 2017 21:35:26(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
I have purchased a good amount of Piko items. I will say I really like most of their rolling stock and will continue to purchase it. I have had many issues with their "Hobby Line" locomotives. I had a Taurus that vibrated and sounded like a coffee grinder, a BR218 that began make a horrible screeching sound and a BR189 that makes a clicking sound. All of these items were special ordered when they were announced through a hobby shop. Returning them is crazy as the charges for shipping are way too high. I gave up on there locomotives. No other brand has ever given me so many problems.
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 23 June 2017 22:24:42(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have several Piko locos from their Hobby, Expert and Classic series. I have yet to have a problem with any of them.

The oldest of my Hobby locos, a Taurus electric, has an unregulated decoder which is not very smooth running at low speeds, much the same as a Marklin loco with a 6080 decoder. I plan to change the decoder for something better.

Most of my Piko locos have a level of detail better than Marklin Hobby series but not as good as the full range Marklin.

I also have quite a lot of Piko coaches and wagons. They are very well detailed but delicate. I usually change the wheel-sets for better running through Marklin turnouts.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline baggio  
#13 Posted : 24 June 2017 02:01:08(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
so if a Chinese manufactured product isn't up to spec it really is the fault of the company for failing in one of those areas.

Sorry, but I disagree.

A company, be it Piko, Marklin, Roco or any other, MUST be sure before entrusting its products to ANY factory, be it located in China or Germany or wherever, that that factory is able to keep up the quality. Shirking this responsibility would show an unforgivable disrespect for its customers and poor business acumen.

When I spend my money and prefer to give it to company A because of its reputation in the field, rather than another company, it is no answer for company A to say, sorry, the factory screwed up not us. Cursing Nonsense, whoever is in charge is responsible and that here is company A not its delegate.

Having said all of the above, I have a great Piko loco, given to me as gift in Italy for my birthday and I LOVE it. BigGrin ThumpUp That loco is the reason I went back to 2 rail when I had decided to stick to Marklin only. I am glad I made that decision. I since fine-tuned it to 2 rail analogue only. I leave digital to Marklin.

Here it is: BigGrin

My Piko loco.jpeg
Offline sjbartels  
#14 Posted : 24 June 2017 05:07:28(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I also have quite a lot of Piko coaches and wagons. They are very well detailed but delicate. I usually change the wheel-sets for better running through Marklin turnouts.

Same for me. I have two AC Piko loks that I run, as well as multiple freight/tank cars that I also change the wheel sets out. Never had an issue with them and as I said earlier, on some of their more recent tank car releases, I think the level of detail exceeds some of my recent Märklin tank cars
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline sjbartels  
#15 Posted : 24 June 2017 18:37:57(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
The oldest of my Hobby locos, a Taurus electric, has an unregulated decoder which is not very smooth running at low speeds, much the same as a Marklin loco with a 6080 decoder. I plan to change the decoder for something better.

What would you change it to? The Piko Taurus electric I have, also Hobby line, but I like the scheme on it, has a nothing decoder - basically only lights and drive and wouldn't mind ultimately upgrading it.
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 24 June 2017 19:01:05(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: sjbartels Go to Quoted Post
The Piko Taurus electric I have, also Hobby line, but I like the scheme on it, has a nothing decoder - basically only lights and drive and wouldn't mind ultimately upgrading it.
Those old locos have the Uhlenbrock AnDi decoders.
I replaced one with a Tams LD-G 32 decoder, but am unhappy with the results.
I replaced one with the ESU decoder from my Märklin 37537 loco and I'm happy with the results.
I replaced one with the Uhlenbrock decoder from from a newer loco where I installed ESU LokSound and it works well IMHO.

Better get a decoder with attached cables as the AnDi is soldered in and there is no decoder socket in those early Hobby locos.
Notice that the colour scheme of those AnDi decoders matches neither the NMRA standard nor the Märklin standard. The loco board is prepared for a NEM 652 socket and you can go by position on the board, but not by colour.
Almost any decoder will do.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Leitner  
#17 Posted : 24 June 2017 19:02:40(UTC)
Leitner

Taiwan, Province Of China   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

I never tried ESU, for sure Brawa after I tried a few models I'll not buy it anymore, nice details but way too fragile... I'm running trains, not collecting crystal glasses...
Ep. III (My layout is set in 1962).
I collect mainly DSB, DB and SBB but I'm quite... Open minded.
I'm quite a big collector of NOHAB lok :)
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Leitner
Offline sjbartels  
#18 Posted : 24 June 2017 19:33:18(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The Piko Taurus electric I have, also Hobby line, but I like the scheme on it, has a nothing decoder - basically only lights and drive and wouldn't mind ultimately upgrading it.
Those old locos have the Uhlenbrock AnDi decoders.
I replaced one with a Tams LD-G 32 decoder, but am unhappy with the results.
I replaced one with the ESU decoder from my Märklin 37537 loco and I'm happy with the results.
I replaced one with the Uhlenbrock decoder from from a newer loco where I installed ESU LokSound and it works well IMHO.

Better get a decoder with attached cables as the AnDi is soldered in and there is no decoder socket in those early Hobby locos.
Notice that the colour scheme of those AnDi decoders matches neither the NMRA standard nor the Märklin standard. The loco board is prepared for a NEM 652 socket and you can go by position on the board, but not by colour.
Almost any decoder will do.

I was thinking ESU personally. Thanks for the insights and your thoughts
Offline RayF  
#19 Posted : 25 June 2017 22:55:18(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

What would you change it to? The Piko Taurus electric I have, also Hobby line, but I like the scheme on it, has a nothing decoder - basically only lights and drive and wouldn't mind ultimately upgrading it.

I have used ESU Lokpilot decoders in other locos and I would probably go for one of these.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Best Ripper  
#20 Posted : 28 June 2017 22:20:04(UTC)
Best Ripper

Bulgaria   
PIKO has three levels of quality:

1. HOBBY - red colour on the boxes
2. EXPERT - blue colour on the boxes
3. CLASSIC - dark blue colour on the boxes

It's a great mistake to compare models from different groups, especially Hobby and Classic. Don't forget this, dudes.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Best Ripper
Offline artfull dodger  
#21 Posted : 28 June 2017 22:47:21(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
With so much being made in China and other places in the world. Quality control engineers have thier hands full. Lapse in attention and stuff slips past, and issues like zincpest and other issues that can plague our trains happen. Marklin isnt the only one bitten by the zincpest problem in recent times, several other large and well known brands have had this issue bite them as well. With everybody pinching every doller of profit from products, a lapse in quality control is all it takes for the company doing the production to cut some corners to tight. There is a saying, espically in China...."Nothing personal...its just business." My little class 24 is a gem of a model. Mine is from a 2012 era starter set, and runs flawlessly now that its been run in. Was a bit stiff at first, so slow crawling speeds were not as smooth as one might like. But now with some run time she is smooth as can be. I do wish I was able to swing the cost of the sound version starter set though. I hope to get the class 24 in G scale from Piko next year if I can afford it. I do have a couple Piko buildings on my garden railway and a couple freight wagons on my HO layout. I am happy with all of them. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline dan1to3  
#22 Posted : 09 March 2018 20:40:09(UTC)
dan1to3

I know someone who works at PIKO, and have met many higher-ups from Marklin. (in case I need credentials?)

PIKO has a factory in China that produces only the Expert line products for PIKO. (You know those highly detailed locos and cars with many parts... Can't imagine how much it would cost to pay a German to do that!)
The factory in China is run by onsite German execs. The factory is clean and organized, exactly like a German factory. The workers are full-time PIKO employees who get paid well and are happy to work for a good company. In fact, any time they need to hire there is apparently a long line of people wanting to work for them? Germany produces the HO Hobby line, buildings, and all big scale items. All tooling belongs to PIKO and is owned by them. All buildings and land is theirs as well.

This is how they can watch quality control. It is also how they can produce an item on tooling they own, in a factory they own.

I dare say, this is how you would want your company to run if you had one! Nearly every other train company products, guaranteed to be made in China with little quality control until the containers reach their offices in their stated country. (By then it is too late!) Check the "Made in ___" label on all of your trains... you will see! (All governments require that label.)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dan1to3
Offline H0  
#23 Posted : 09 March 2018 20:56:33(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: dan1to3 Go to Quoted Post
All governments require that label.
That is really funny.
Long-time forum members know that such labels are not required in the EU - at least not in all EU countries (Germany is one example).

The US laws require such a declaration. And sometimes US inhabitants inform us where items come from.

At least Piko is not secretive about their China involvement. And yes, they have full control and thus they are able to deliver items on time and as announced.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline MaerklinLife  
#24 Posted : 09 March 2018 21:03:19(UTC)
MaerklinLife

PIKO has made some of the best models I own. When PIKO new items are announced, you can basically pre-order the taxi to take you to the model train store on the release date. The model will be there when you arrive. They have a very good track record of delivering on time. The quality is amazing. I love my PIKO models.
Offline dickinsonj  
#25 Posted : 10 March 2018 02:18:29(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

The US laws require such a declaration. And sometimes US inhabitants inform us where items come from.

This is true and yet with Märklin products it is not always the case. I now buy only from US dealers and I still get Märklin items without any specific country of origin designation. I assume that they were originally European items which have been traded between dealers because with pretty much everything else I buy, I know exactly where it was made.

On the other hand I have had more issues with Märklin products made in Hungary and Germany lately than I have had with locos from China, so it is not a simple as just checking where something was made. I believe that Märklin is doing better these days with their quality control but there is still room for improvement, regardless of where the product was manufactured.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline sjbartels  
#26 Posted : 10 March 2018 04:23:52(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

This is true and yet with Märklin products it is not always the case. I now buy only from US dealers and I still get Märklin items without any specific country of origin designation.

There are some US dealers that, especially with the more limited edition/allocation things, will order directly from Germany and don't have any Made in___ stickers on them, and given the very limited volume wouldn't really come afoul of the US law requiring the Made in Label. Anything a dealer sources from the US distributor on the other hand, which would have been basically manufactured/known to be for export would be covered by that US law and hence have the label, and why the mix bag so to speak of whether it has the label or not when purchasing from a US dealer. This is from my personal experience.

That being said, those things that are ordered by dealers that were on the limited allocation or something front, I'd expect to be manufactured in Gyor anyway, well, at least assembled anyway. Don't forget also that just because it has a Made in Hungary sticker, doesn't mean all the components were. With most anything these days, perhaps an Assembled in label might be more appropriate.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjbartels