Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 06 June 2017 16:50:09(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Good Morning,

I noticed that the new Marklin Semaphore/Target Signals have a new micro servo motor which replaced the solenoid motor.

I'm wondering if Marklin will do the same with the Marklin C-Track Turnout motor 74491?

Any thought on this?

Thank you.

MIchel

Edited by user 06 June 2017 21:51:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 07 June 2017 03:58:51(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Michel,

I have to query whether you literally mean a replacement of the motor only or if you conceive that there is an accompanying change in the switching mechanism. And are you referring to a Slow or Fast implementation

Simply replacing the motor type without changing the mechanism seems to be defeating the purpose of what might be possible.
While Marklin have struggled with the quality of their existing C-Track turnout motors, I am not sure investing in a servo alternative for the motor only is a worthwhile investment at this stage.

If you do envision a change to the mechanism from the spring detented quick click/clack to the direct drive slow moving whirrrr of the movable rails, then you are loosing the option to run against the points. And, unless there is constant power, a poor connection to the movable rails of the turnout is probable.

I would say that Marklin offering such a solution is both unlikely and undesirable.
This is not where their bread and butter is. Let someone else fill this niche market (like they already have).
Ref: http://railway.zone/post...smann-4554-turnout-motor for Sørens review.
Peter
Offline applor  
#3 Posted : 07 June 2017 05:50:43(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
If you do envision a change to the mechanism from the spring detented quick click/clack to the direct drive slow moving whirrrr of the movable rails, then you are loosing the option to run against the points.

And this of course means that there is no reason to have the switching mechanism set 1/3 back from the start of the turnout in Marklins very un-prototypical manner to accommodate the return spring mechanism.
As such I agree that I can't see Marklin making the change to servos either.
They have a very large market of 'casual' hobbyists they want to cater for, which is fair enough.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline michelvr  
#4 Posted : 07 June 2017 16:01:58(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
I was just wondering if Marklin might replace the solenoid with a micro servo motor. Just thought that it made sense since Marklin did it the the new semaphores. The change seems to have improved the quality and appearance of operation of the semaphores Cool

Thanks for the replys.

Michel
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 07 June 2017 22:09:04(UTC)
Minok

United States   
For the semaphores it made sense, since they are a completely self-contained solution -so you only address the built in decoder - its fully backwards compatible.
This adds the ability to implement the bouncing and other movement effects that can be programmed.

For turnouts - they would need to make a part that is compatible with the actual turnouts, and backwards compatible to some extent (they don't want to deal with the world of analog modelers complaining that it doesn't work for them). So it has to work with the sprung turnouts, which they could do in theory (a servo can drive the same force vectors that switching a turnout manually would do). That solution would be more complex though, as it would have to have the decoder built in to give digital and analog connection functionality. Whether they want to do that vs try to resolve their coil based problems is where the problem lies. The current design of coil based turnout motors may be sufficiently good, and as others have said, for those seeking more prototypical solutions there are products out there.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok