Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline White Buffalo  
#1 Posted : 23 May 2017 15:53:26(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
I have a 37184 digital lokomotive that has been sitting in its box since 2005. The short story is, some of the sounds stopped working in 2005 and for some reason I thought I would attempt to replace the circuit board or convert it back to analog to run on my old layout. I know - crazy idea.Crying Well, I butchered her up pretty bad. When we moved I just put it all in the box and haven't touched it since. The wires to the circuit board are all cut, the body is still in great shape and the motor has less than a few hours of running time.

What are your thoughts?

Should I attempt to repair it myself? The problem is I have mild hand tremors and I am no too steady with a soldering gun or pen.

Should I send it out for repair?

Upgrade the circuit board or just sell it for parts on the forum or eBay?

The body and tender are in excellent condition, I'm just not sure what to do with her.

I posted this in the "on my workbench" area as well, but I thought I should post this in the digital section.

Offline ktsolias  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2017 19:06:18(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
If you can do it by yourself use a decoder without sound about 30-40 Euro (marklin 60972 or 60982) is worth.
The Class 18 is a beautiful loco but a bit difficult in conversions due to limited space.

On the other side to give it to made professionally may be is better to sell it. I can't say the price of a loco in this condition but not expect more than 100 Euro in my opinion.

Costas
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 23 May 2017 21:54:30(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I've deleted the second topic as this only needs to be posted once.

This is a lovely loco and it would be a shame not to do something with it. I would try to put a new msd3 sound decoder in it, but as has been pointed out space is limited.

Seems to me that your choices are to sell it or get someone to finish the job for you.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
H0
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 24 May 2017 10:47:23(UTC)
Goofy

You can buy an ESU lokpilot decoder which are without the sounds.
It´s easy to install and works good with analog power on the tracks.
But you need to change motor to ESU DC motor.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 24 May 2017 11:14:54(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: White Buffalo Go to Quoted Post
The short story is, some of the sounds stopped working in 2005 and for some reason I thought I would attempt to replace the circuit board or convert it back to analog to run on my old layout. I know - crazy idea.Crying
We had several reports of BR 18.4 Märklin models with dead speakers on the forum. So maybe it needed just a new speaker.
Why tear out the decoder if the loco was still running? The decoder allows analogue operation, too.

So if the decoder can be assumed to be still operational, just reconnect all the wires, take the speaker out and measure the speaker with an ohm meter.
If bell and whistle are enough, that could be the simple and cheap solution.
At least rather simple, but you may need somebody else to do it.

If you want full operational sound (with chuff-chuff and all), a new sound decoder will be needed. Not a simple task, so you may have to find somebody to do the work.

Originally Posted by: White Buffalo Go to Quoted Post
I posted this in the "on my workbench" area as well, but I thought I should post this in the digital section.
Bad idea to discuss one problem in multiple threads.

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I've deleted the second topic as this only needs to be posted once.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
But you need to change motor to ESU DC motor.
The loco already has a DC motor that requires no changes for operation with current ESU or Märklin decoders.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline White Buffalo  
#6 Posted : 24 May 2017 17:41:53(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
Thank you everyone for your input & recommendations and my apologies for the double post.

I definitely want to do something with it. I just need to decide on which sound options to go with. My birthday is coming up soon, maybe I can ask the wife & kids to consider this.

as I see it now, I have three options.

1. reconnect the decoder & go without the sound.
2. reconnect the decoder & replace the faulty speaker
3. a new sound decoder with additional sounds.

Thank you everyone! I will post back when I figure out which course of action to take.BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by White Buffalo
Offline White Buffalo  
#7 Posted : 26 May 2017 00:52:30(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
OK, after receiving a digital BR 50 Class Lokomotiv in the mail a few days ago I have been bit by the digital bug. Wow, the digital world is amazing, complicated in my mind, but amazing.BigGrin

I am going to try and repair the 37184 myself, first reconnecting the circuit board and then replacing the speaker. It's a bit overwhelming and confusing right now, but I'm not in a hurry and I'll just take her one step at a time. If I fail I can always sent it to river6109 in Australia.BigGrin

I have an old $10 soldering gun with a bent tip that has seen it's better days and probably is not up to the task.

So, step 1, buy a good soldering gun for working on Märklin trains. What do you guys recommend? I dont want to run out and buy something that will not work for this application. I would like to do it right the first time.

Will a 30W do the trick?

Can I use one of those small butane gas Soldering Pens?

Vielen Dank für die Hilfe!

Rich
Offline White Buffalo  
#8 Posted : 04 January 2018 04:40:39(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
well I finally sent her in to Helmuts Hobbies for Christmas and had an ESU Loksound and a new speaker installed. They had her finished and sent out within a week. I put a new smoke generator in it and she's been a great Christmas present since. Helmuts did a great job, especially explaining everything to me and answering all my questions on the phone.

I just don't know why I waited so long! Cursing

After almost 15 years of sitting in the box, she's pulling the 346 passenger cars nicely.....BigGrin
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by White Buffalo
Offline Dave Banks  
#9 Posted : 04 January 2018 07:23:27(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Remember the old saying, "He who hesitates is lost". You bit the bullet & did it & enjoy the revitalized old girl.

Good on you BigGrin
D.A.Banks
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 04 January 2018 08:56:37(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks for letting us know Rich. Enjoy the loco.